Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Crysis Wars Lessons

Cygon

• Member ID:  804
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  446
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  3600
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Achievement Points:  24386
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/25/1960

Cygon
Well technically that isn't possible...but I will go over the next best thing in Advanced tactics.

I cant wait! I know its a lot of work typing all this stuff out but how much longer Cygon? I am checking the web site every hour scratching my head waiting for you next lesson cause I suck at the game and need all the help you can dish out...:-)

• Member ID:  133
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  77
  • Topic Count:  602
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6882
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  44077
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  12/12/1971
  • Device:  Windows

Cygon, I need your head(too) .. I guess you don't have the n00b lessons for me?

• Member ID:  415
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  374
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2018
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/07/1984

Hehe you hit the nail on the head on the reload while running issue.  All you have to do is stop holding sprint key long enough to press the reload or customization buttons (but you can continue moving normal speed), and then start pressing sprint key again after the animation is started and you are back at it.  Technically you can do this with certain weapon zooms too if I'm not mistaken (although not effectively)...but I'll go into further in the advanced section on some of that stuff. 

Be patient my friend.  I'm trying to move quickly through the weapons (more of an overview) because the details are not so important (maybe for another lesson) so I can get to the good stuff, but I just haven't had much time. 

Lol Ray these lessons are for you too my friend.  But after all...as long as you are having fun does it matter what the score is?  I just find it is more fun to get some kills rather than always dying.

2.     Weaponsand Attachments

I will be focusing my attention onthe assault weapons and side arms for this lesson for two reasons: 

1. I’m not a sniper, so I wouldn’t be qualified to give good advice on thatsubject.

2. The majority of you kills and gameplay should be centered around assaultweapons because they are more effective in a wider range of warfare.

I also need to make it clear thatI will be going over the weapons for Crysis Wars here, not Crysismultiplayer…the balance is much different.

The primary weapons I will bediscussing include:

SCAR

FY71

SMG

Shotgun

The secondary weapons I will bediscussing include:

Pistol

AY69

The attachments I will bediscussing include:

Laser/Light attachment

Reflex site, Assault scope, & Sniper scope

Grenade launcher

Silencer

SCAR

The SCAR is without a doubt themost effective weapon in Crysis Wars.  Itis slightly more effective than the fy71 in all situations that I haveencountered.  It is significantly betterthan the SMG in all but very close combat, and there it is usually a tossup.  It has high damage, low recoil, andgood accuracy up to long range.

Recoil first eases up about 5degrees and very minimally to the left, but then drops back down to about 3degrees and on center.  Therefore, youshould aim your first shot at the head or neck and quickly pull down to chestlevel for medium range shots (waste for long range) and then pull back upslightly to the neck for medium range (chest for long range).  It is recommended to fire in bursts of 3 to 5rounds for long to very long range shots. Proning and using strength may be used in some cases for long to verylong range to help decrease recoil. Knowing when to do this and when not to will take experience via trialand error.

Recommended use:  This should be first choice for primaryweapon when available.

Recommended attachments:  Laser sight should be priority, followed byone of the three sights depending on the range that you might be firing.  I prefer no silencer on a SCAR, but some likeit. 

FY71

The FY71 is a good mid rangerifle, and when the SCAR is unavailable I would make it my first choice unlessclose combat is imminent. 

Recoil is similar to that of thescar, but slightly larger on initial recoil and after it eases back down.  The spread on the FY is actually smaller thanon the SCAR, technically making it more accurate.  However, the recoil and lower damage make upfor this advantage, making the SCAR the preferred weapon in most cases.  The FY also has a slightly quicker weaponreload if I remember correctly.  I havenever found this useful in normal gameplay.

Recommended use:  As a backup to the SCAR or as primary weaponwhen SCAR is unavailable.

Recommended attachments:  Laser sight again, followed by one of thethree sights, and then the silencer if preferred (I actually like the silenceron the FY, can’t say why but it seems more beneficial).

SMG

The SMG is a good close rangerifle.  It has 50 rounds instead of 40and a higher rate of fire than the other rifles.  It is weaker in damage and worse in accuracyand recoil.  Therefore it is effective invery close range fire fights or when you have multiple targets to take down andreloading could be the difference maker to get you killed.  It is rare that it is preferred over theSCAR, but it does work well as a second assault rifle in close combat.

The recoil on the SMG isstrange.  It quickly climbs up and to theleft about 7 degrees, then moves back towards the center at about 4 or 5degrees.  So you should aim for the rightshoulder when using the SMG if you want to have the best shot at landing someheadshots.

Recommended use:  As a backup to the SCAR or FY when closecombat is eminent, or in a few cases as the primary weapon when very closecombat is expected.

Recommended attachments:  Laser sight, silencer, then the reflex siteif used as a primary weapon.  Ifsecondary I wouldn’t bother with the reflex because it isn’t very effective atmedium to long range.

Shotgun

The Shotgun is a good close rangeweapon if you are good with shotguns.  Ittakes a different style of shooting to be effective with the shotgun.  I have not personally seen anyone use theshotty to take down someone of equal skill that carried another assault rifleunless camping was involved.  So if youprefer to camp indoors or in tight areas, the shotty is a good way to catchpeople off guard and bring them down before they have a chance to empty a fewrounds at you.

The shotgun is much more accuratewhen fired with medium time intervals between shots.  If you shoot rapidly you will miss badly(although at very close range this is less problematic), but if you shoot tooslowly you will die because of the stream of bullets that comes from otherassault rifles.  To be effective with theshotty it is important to remember to aim then shoot, rather than shoot thenadjust like with the other rifles. 

I will also mention the secondaryfire mode here because I do recommend using it if your aim is not perfect.  The shotty has a tight spread mode and a widespread mode.  The wide spread mode has abetter chance at hitting, but at a loss of damage.  So this is something you would need to playwith to see what works best for you. Keep in mind that the wide spread mode is not effective at medium tolong range, so be sure to get up close if you intend to use it.

Recommended use:  For fun or in the hardcore :D

Recommended attachments:  Laser and reflex sight.

Pistol

The pistol is pretty straightforward.  I don’t generally recommendusing the pistol unless:

- You are out of ammo on yourprimary weapon and the target is severely weakened. 

- You have dual wielding pistolswith a laser pointer attached. 

- You are playing hardcore :D

I will also mention the secondaryfire mode for the pistol because some people find it very effective.  The basic fire mode is single shot and rapidfire, the secondary fire mode is double shot with a slower fire rate.  I typically use the single shot mode andtreat the pistol like other rifles…shooting constantly and adjusting my aim asI shoot.  You will need to use the doubleshot mode like a shotgun and time your shots when the aim is on target.  This takes a bit of practice but can beeffective is dual wielded and with lasers attached (even against other playerswith an SMG).

Recommened use:  As a secondary weapon or for aim practice.

Recommended attachments:  Laser, silencer if desired. 

AY69

I am not as familiar with the AY69as some people are, but I do know that it can be very effective when dualwielded and with laser attached at close range. In fact at very close range it may be the most effective weapon whendual wielded.  I think it tops the SCARand SMG at very close range, but falls short somewhere between close and midrange. 

When available, I would chose thisas my secondary weapon behind the SCAR. If you plan to sneak up on an opponent, switch to the dual AY69 andambush them.  I have seen it used veryeffectively when used by cloakers.  Ifyou sneak up right behind someone in cloak (which is difficult because of the weaknesseswith the cloak), switch to armor quickly then open fire you can often take thetarget down before they have a chance to respond.  The problem is that the weapon is veryinaccurate at short to mid range without a laser, so you have to be patient andget very close or wait and ambush as the target passes by.

Recommended use:  As a secondary weapon or as a primary whendual wielded in very close combat.

Recommended attachments: Laserwhen not using cloak, silencer if desired.

Laser/Light attachment

Many people shy away from thelaser pointer because it gives away your position.  However, I find that its benefits outweighits downsides in every situation except for when cloak is in use.  It increases accuracy of all weapons(reduction of bullet spread but not recoil from what I can tell) by almost 25percent. 

Weaknesses:

-        It gives away yourposition, especially at night

-        It shows up when incloak, making cloak totally useless when a laser is in use

-        When running, itpoints at the ground unless you have the weapon inertia reduced to zero or at alow number

A few recommendations to counterthe weaknesses of the cloak:

- When running around or hiding switch to fists to keep enemies fromseeing the laser (especially at night), then quickly switch to your assaultweapon when you see an enemy (the main reason I set the mouse wheel down buttonto assault weapon shortcut, so I don’t have to scroll through a bunch ofweapons to get to the good ones)

- Don’t use cloak unless you switch to fists or turn off the laser

- Set your weapon inertia to a low setting to ease problem with having nocrosshair when running

I have only found the light option to be helpful in zombies or in a small dark corridor.  This can blind the enemy slightly giving you a slight advantage.  However, it is only effective when the target is using certain graphical settings, so it is unreliable compared to other attachments.

Reflex Sight, Assault Scope,Sniper Scope

I’ll lump these three togetherbecause they are closely related.

The reflex sight is mostlyeffective at medium range.  It is usefulfor assault rifles and the shotgun, however, many find that the simple ironsights are just as effective when a laser is attached (at least at medium range).  The reflex sight is preferred for indoor mapsor maps with ample cover and few wide open spaces.  A good example would be a map like Coast.

The assault scope is mostlyeffective at medium to long range.  Irecommend it for assault rifles (especially the SCAR and the FY71), but not theshotgun.  It would be recommended for amap like Quarry, where medium to long range shots are common but the secondzoom is rarely useful unless sniping. 

The sniper scope is useful frommedium to very long range.  I recommendit for use with the SCAR or FY71 on long range maps like Mesa, or with the sniper rifle in almost any large map, but not for the SMGor shotty because the second zoom only reduces the ability to quickly adjust toa close up enemy. 

Accuracy is improved for allweapons when a scope is activated, but at the expense of not being able torun.  Therefore, it is recommended to onlyuse these scopes at a medium to long range when being fired at by an enemy or in a proneposition where the enemy will have a more difficult time hitting when standingup.  It is not recommended to aim downthe sights when in close to mid range, it is more effective to either move inand out of cover or strafe side to side while shooting.

Grenade launcher

The grenade launcher attachment isnot very effective in the current build of Crysis Wars.  It is effective to launch one round to weakenthe opponents then switch to the second assault rifle and finish them off, butit takes too long to kill with the grenade launcher attachment alone. 

Silencer

The silencer is an attachment thatdoesn’t seem to have a great advantage in actual weapon performance, but itdoes reduce muzzle flash and weapon sound, so it has its benefits when tryingto remain undetected or if you have trouble aiming with the distractionsinherent to certain weapons (FY71 for me). It is a matter of personally preference in my opinion.  I generally remove it when using the SCAR butleave it when using the FY71 or SMG.  Iusally add it to the AY69 but leave it off of the pistol, but it is up to youwhat you feel most comfortable with.

This concludes lesson 3 on weapons and attachments. 

• Member ID:  561
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  84
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5333
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Achievement Points:  41334
  • Days Won:  29
  • Birthday:  04/06/1992
  • Device:  Android

• Member ID:  68
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2709
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Achievement Points:  14854
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/13/1969

hell ya thanks Cygon

Yes very nice and thanks once again. I have my sticky note just a waiting for your next one....hehehehehe

• Member ID:  77
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  111
  • Topic Count:  1018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7527
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Achievement Points:  69486
  • Days Won:  47

Never mind lessons.Just get in there and play.That means you WiZiD.I get in there every morning and a few times during the afternoon.I only see a few >XI< players.Markoff,Boomslang,and Hogan.What's the matter with the rest of you wimps?Hard Core has no nanno suit.simple or is it cause you can't bunny hop your way out of death?Bunch of wimps I say.

Sorry I will try and make more time for the game. I have just been real busy as of late. And I am no wimp. I am a pussy....cause I am's what I eat.........lol

• Member ID:  1642
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  900
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6952
  • Birthday:  07/30/1958

while you are playing i am at work, when ever i check its emptyCryYell

4.     PlayerMovement and Strategic Use of Environment  (part 1)

This may be the most importantlesson in the course.  The mostsignificant improvement a player can make in most first person shooters comesfrom the realization and implementation of movement while firing rather than afocus on stationary movement while firing. The most significant improvement a player can make in Crysis wars willcome when the player becomes proficient in strafe jumping and high speedmobility.  Becoming proficient in othermaneuvers can also have a significant impact on a players’ game in closesituations. 

I find that it is good practice to keep moving at all times when playing Crysis, even if you are moving in circles or side to side in one spot.  At the very least this makes it difficult for snipers to get a clean shot and could give you a chance to counter them if they miss.  If you are standing still they will likely get a head shot and you are finished.  The only exceptions are of course when you are sniping or in vehicles, or when you are crouched or proned behind good cover.

Here are the topics I will be covering in part 1 of this lesson:

Strafing

Use of Cover

Use of cover while strafing

How to utilize speed safely

How to utilize strength firingsafely

Strafing

Please don’t confuse Strafing withStrafe Jumping.  They are very differentskills.

The most drastic improvement to aplayers’ skill level in most fps will usually come when the player becomesproficient in strafing while shooting. This basic tactic allows the player to “dodge” bullets coming from enemyfire in very close to medium range fire fights. The most simple strafe is a side to side movement done by alternatingthe left strafe (A) and right strafe (D) keys while holding the sprint keydown. 

You will be unable to aim withsights or scopes while doing this (while sprinting), so it is only useful atclose range (and is made more useful with the laser pointer to increaseaccuracy).  It is not effective to strafewithout sprinting…so get used to holding down the sprint key.

It can also be helpful to strafewhile in speed mode for short distances, but this can be counter productivesince you cannot absorb much damage.  Itis usually most effective to strafe side to side a couple of times in speedmode then switch to armor mode while continuing to strafe side to side.  This takes a good deal of practice to figureout what works best…and I find that no two enemies react the same to thesemethods.  Some cannot react at all to aspeed strafe, while some will kill you much faster if you use it.  However, it seems everyone has an equallydifficult time adjusting to a good normal sprinted side to side strafe(especially if the side to side movements are randomized to some degree).

The trick to becoming skilled instrafing is learning how to keep a good side to side motion while independentlyaiming with the mouse (and having no interference from one to the other).  This takes a good bit of practice, but it isimportant to remember that you will need to move the mouse in the oppositedirection that you are strafing to make up for the distance traveled in orderto keep the crosshairs on target. However, a close target will require a larger and faster mouse movement,while a farther target will require a shorter an slower mouse movement.  You also must consider the movement of thetarget, so a shoot then react method is most effective with assault rifles.

Use of Cover

The tactical use of cover is veryimportant in most fps, and Crysis wars is no different.  We often have a tendency to play in the opentoo much because of the tank mentality that the nano suit encourages, but it isimportant to utilize cover to stay alive. It is a complicated balance to decide when it is better to stay behindcover or when to charge in and attack full force.  However, here is a list of recommendations onwhen to take cover.

Take cover when:

- You have inflicted damage onyour enemy but suspect that they have inflicted an equal or larger amount ofdamage on you.

-Your enemy has the high ground.

-Your enemy has a better weaponthan you.

-You are outnumbered.

-Your team mates are severelywounded and will offer little or no assistance.

- Your enemy has an easilydefendable position (they have excellent cover).

- You don’t know where you arebeing shot from.

- Your enemy is more skilled thanyou.

- You are out of ammo and need toreload.

Use of cover in Crysis is a bitmore complex than that of other fps because of the mobility of the nanosuit.  The suit often allows you toutilize cover that you might not be able to utilize in other games, but thesuit also allows your enemy to flank you more easily if you camp out behindcover to much.  Therefore it is importantto move from cover to cover in order to keep the attackers off guard. 

Use of Cover while Strafing

Once you have become proficient instrafing from side to side, it is very helpful to learn how to strafe in andout of cover.  This is helpful whentaking cover behind boxes, palette stacks, containers, and especially walls andcertain doorways.  The trick to masteringthis technique (assuming you are good at strafing and shooting at the sametime), is to randomize your movements so that you do not come out from behindyour cover at a predictable time (meaning that you need to consciously timeyour movements to throw off the attacker). 

How to Utilize Speed Safely

It is important to understand whenit is beneficial to sprint in speed mode and when it is better to stick toarmor.  It is never a good idea to runthrough the map in a straight forward line for long distances in speedmode.  Eventually you will get moweddown. 

It is much better to sprint inspeed for short distances from cover to cover, from room to room, or from anopen area in the map to another open area in the map.  It is good practice to run into an area orbehind some cover, quickly scope out the area, and if clear move on intoanother area. 

It is not a good idea to speedrush an enemy head on.  It is much moreeffective to move in at 45 degree angles to the player in an attempt to flank them.  It is not a good idea to run across largeopen areas when someone is surely there to shoot at you.  At best case you reach cover with littlehealth (and energy drained due to overuse of the speed mode), then you aresitting on your heals trying to keep cover while your energy regenerates whilethe attacker moves in to finish you off.

It is important to realize in nonspeed-modded servers to keep an eye on your energy bar when using speed becauseyou can drain it without realizing and have no armor to absorb damage if youget attacked.  This is especiallyimportant when you are pushing hard at the enemy and over pursue. 

It is also important to keep inmind that running in speed mode gives off a fairly loud sound and makes you abeacon to your enemies when you overuse it.

How to Utilize Strength Firing Safely

Using strength mode to stabilizerecoil and improve accuracy is a risky strategy in the current build of CrysisWars.  I find that more often than notits benefits do NOT outweigh the negatives. You’re unable to absorb damage with the nanosuit while using strengthmode, so it is rarely helpful to use it when in a gun fight with an enemy.  However, there are certain instances(primarily long range) where the increase in accuracy usually outweighs thedamage that you might take.  It takesexperience to find out when it is beneficial, but it usually requires that yougo in prone prior to quickly switching to strength.

I will continue part 2 of this lesson soon with strafe jumping, advanced mobility, and tactical use of the environment.

• Member ID:  77
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  111
  • Topic Count:  1018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7527
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Achievement Points:  69486
  • Days Won:  47

These lesson are really good.Thanks Cygon.Only problem is "easier said than done"Ha Ha

Yes "easier said than done" applies greatly here.  But, if you take it a little at a time and add what you can I'm sure it will help those that put in the practice.

1.     PlayerMovement and Strategic Use of Environment

Part 2.

Strafe Jumping and Advanced Mobility

Strafe jumping (or Circle jumping)is a slightly difficult maneuver to learn, but incredibly useful whenmastered.  It allows a player to add acompletely new attack tactic to their game when utilized properly.  It is also quite fun so I would recommendtrying to learn it even if you don’t plan to use it in combat.

Strafe jumping is basically donein two directions: the left and the right.

To do a basic Left Handed StrafeJump:

- Holding down the SPRINT andFORWARD keys throughout the process.

- Then JUMP and beginning holdingthe LEFT STRAFE key (A is default) while smoothly and slowly moving the mouseto the left (a left turn). 

This will allow the player to gainspeed while moving in a circular direction to the left.

To do a basic Right Handed StrafeJump:

- Holding down the SPRINT andFORWARD keys throughout the process.

- Then JUMP and beginning holding theRIGHT STRAFE key (D is default) while smoothly and slowly moving the mouse tothe right (a left turn). 

This will allow the player to gainspeed while moving in a circular direction to the right.

To enhance the basic strafe jumps,use STRENGTH, SPEED, or a combination of STRENGTH then SPEED modes to gain moreheight and distance.

To complete a long distance strafejump from a ledge, combine the two directional jumps and do a left handedstrafe jump…then change direction and do a right handed strafe jump (this takesyou back to the direction you were first facing if done properly).  Continue this back and forth process to makeextra long jumps.

It is a bit hard to explain usingwords…so here is a video that illustrates a bit better:

Thanks to sasstraliss for thisexcellent tutorial.

If anyone doesn’t have my jumpmaps that would like to try them out just let me know. 

Strafe jumping is especiallyuseful when getting to hard to reach places quickly, and it makes it mucheasier to keep the all important high ground (especially in urban areas).  I find that I can go from one side of the mapto the other without touching the ground in Refinery on a good day.  This is especially nice if you want to jumpfrom a rooftop to the top of the prototype facility without going down thestairs and then back up the stairs.  Itcan save time in so many areas. 

It is also useful in battlebecause you can use the speed and movement to flank an enemy.  If done properly the attacker will not beable to follow the fast movement which gives you a chance to attack from theside or from behind.  It also allows youto escape certain death in many situations. It also saves suit energy when used on the ground because none is usedwhen in air.

Tactical Use of Environment

This is an area that is veryimportant when playing skilled opponents, because they will surely use theirenvironment to their advantage.  I canthink of many times where I played against poorly skilled shooters but havebeen killed repeatedly because of their use of the map.  It is also an area that is difficult todescribe, because so much of it depends on each map and experience.  It also combines all of the previous lessonson player movement.  It combines tacticsthat include but are not limited to the following:  camping, defending, attacking, flanking,using stealth, teamwork, an awareness of the enemies abilities and equipment,an awareness of your abilities and equipment, and a feel for each map and howit can be maneuvered through. 

1. Camping is not considered a nice tactic in a fps because of its general negative influence on gameplay, but it is an important strategy in certain situations and should be used when applicable.  I do not recommend sitting in a corner and waiting for someone to walk by in Crysis especially, but I do recommend area camping when the battlefield is overcrowded and running through the map will surely get you killed.  I do also encourage area camping when capturing and holding important areas in PS maps.  It isimportant to realize that the enemies in crysis do not die quickly, so you needto be prepared for them to turn and shoot back at you when you shootfirst.  It is also important to realizethat players remember campers and will hunt you down if you stay in one spot tolong.  Keep moving around.  Even if you are camping out the proto, keepfinding new places to defend from.
  2. Defending is similar but slightly different from camping.  Defending is basically holding off an enemy when the enemy is consistently attacking an area or point.  There doesn’t need to be a consistent attack from the enemy for camping to take place.  Defending is more important in a PS, but could be applied to defending a bottleneck or a weapon in IA or TIA. 
  3. Attacking is pretty self explanatory, but there are so many different ways to go about it in Crysis it can be the most complex of them all.  I will not go into this because it is too complex, but it is important to observe what areas are advantageous to attack and which areas are easily defended.  This will allow you to adjust your attack strategy based on the situation.  You may need to wait for team members if the area is easily defended, or you may need to sneak around an attempt to attack from another angle.
  4. Flanking is a form of attack where you attack from the side or sometimes even from the rear.  Usually you have a diversion in front and sneak in the side.  However, in crysis, you can use a flank in the heat of battle by using strafe jumping and other advanced techniques.  It opens up a world of possibilities for attack, but it also needs to be understood when you are being attacked as well for defensive and counter opportunities. 
  5. Using stealth is important especially when flanking and camping, but it can be used in certain situations during a head on attack if teamwork is uses.  Stealth doesn’t always mean cloak, sometimes just quietly moving through the shadows is even more effective.
  6. Teamwork is fairly self explanatory, but communication is difficult in crysis and rarely used.  Therefore you must be observant of what your teammates are doing so that you can assist them when necessary, and stay near them when you plan to attack. 
  7. An awareness of the enemies abilities and equipment is a tough one…especially in crysis because of the options to change weapons and attachments on the fly.  But you should be able to get a feel for what other players are using.  An example is claymores.  Some people use them to death while others leave them alone.  You can figure that out pretty quickly after you run over a couple from the same person in the same spot.  So adapt and find a new tactic to account for what the attacker is using.
  8. An awareness of your abilities and equipment is straight forward.  If you can’t jump across long distances…don’t try to fly across a huge gap.  If you are not good at close range battle, don’t run right up to the enemy who has dual AY69 with lasers attached.  Don’t forget to reload…regularly.  Know if you have nades or not…you may need them as a last ditch effort.
  9. A feel for each map just takes practice and time.  Sometimes it is good to spectate a new map for a few minutes before playing because you can get a good feel for it just by watching the other players for a minute.  The rest takes time and practice.

This concludes lesson 4 on Player Mobility.

thanks Cygon...great again

5.    Strafe vs Crouchvs Prone vs Bbunny hop

In this lesson we will go overwhen to use which shooting method during an encounter with the enemy.  Generally speaking it is best to use any ofthese methods over just standing and shooting. That will not get you very far in crysis because players have time toturn around and shoot you back, and if they use a method that improves theiraim they will often get the kill even if you shoot first.  It will take some experience to figure outwhen it is best to use which method, but here is a general guideline to get youstarted:

-        Bunny hopping andstrafe jumping can be used at very close range (5 to 10 feet in mostinstances).  I find that if I am gettingshot from behind I can do a quick basic strafe jump and survive long enough toget some shots fired on the enemy, and I often survive and get the kill againstthe attacker if they are standing still. If I find myself indoors or very close range I may strafe jump aroundcorners (no speed enhanced) and use that as an element of surprise.  Regular bunny hopping is only useful at about7 feet or less from my experience, but a strafe enhanced bunny hop that takesyou around the side of the player is more effective than a traditional bunnyhop at very close range.

-        Strafing (not strafejumping but regular side to side strafe) is effective from very close range toat least mid range depending on what weapon you have and what weapon your enemyhas.  If your enemy is sniping just keepstrafing no matter what.  If you areusing an automatic SCAR it usually is not as helpful to side strafe beyondabout 50 feet to 75 feet.  Strafing withclose range weapons becomes even less effective after about 40 to 50 feet.  The problem is that your accuracy isdecreased when moving so you will start to miss a lot of shots even when youraim is perfect. 

-        Crouch is rarelyuseful.  Prone is almost always the preferredaiming option for long range distances. The exceptions are when you have short cover and need to be a bit higherto get the shot off. 

-        Prone is the mostuseful option for medium-long to very long range. Anything shot over 100 feet should be in prone for the most effectivekill IMO.  It increases your accuracysubstantially, and it reduces the hit surface in long range situations, makingyou harder to see and harder to hit.  Astrength enhanced prone shot can be helpful if the enemy hasn’t noticed youyet, but once they start shooting you should switch to armor because prone doesallow for easy headshots.  Prone can alsobe useful when hiding behind gentle slopes or behind low cover.  You can go prone and let your healthregenerate if you take a couple of hits and don’t think you can overcomeit.  It is important to remember thatprone is very susceptible to flanking, so you need to be aware of the enemy ifyou use this method.  Prone is also notvery useful in very tight or on uneven surfaces.  Use it in flat areas with plenty of room oryou may get stuck in prone and be unable to stand up.

This concludes lesson 5 on Strafevs Crouch vs Prone vs Bunny hop.

do NOT tell them everything

they are going to kick our asses LMFAO

good job ......did I say that earlier? Cool

I like competition. :D

• 2 weeks later...

6.     Spectatingand Practice

Spectating and practice seems like a straight forwardlesson…but it is a bit more complicated than one might expect.  

Spectating

Spectating is only useful if you have some patience and knowwhat to look for.  You don’t always learngood techniques by picking the player in first place, or a player who gets alot of kills, or even a player with a high kill/death ratio.  However, if any of these are conditions notmet…the player is probably not worth taking the time to watch.  It may also be helpful to look for playersfrom well known skilled clans if you know any. 

It is also helpful to know what to look for in playerstyle.  Some players types are snipers,tank or vtol whores, cloakers, and of course assault style (which is what Iprefer and have been teaching on for the most part).  You should pick players that suit to yourstyle to improve you core gameplay, but you should also take the time to learnthe techniques of players’ styles that are good at that particular style tobetter understand what you are up against. It can also improve your all around game, as you will need to know thebasics of each style so that you can use them when necessary. 

There are a few different styleswithin the assault style to add to the mix including:  full rush and close range types, long rangeuse of cover and defensive types, and the more balanced rush and covertypes.  There will be players that relyheavily on speed, some more heavily on armor, and some that use a bit of both(me).  There will be some that use lotsof movement (this is most helpful for the rushers), and there will be othersthat prefer to use more cover and less rushing. It is good to get a feel for several different styles within your corestyle so that you can figure out which techniques suit your play style thebest, and once again so you will know what to expect from other players. 

It is also good to get on youtubeand find some tutorials and gameplay videos. Frag movies are not very good lesson tools, but there are some greatgameplay videos that give a better account of the players’ techniques. 

Practice

Practice is pretty obvious, butthere are a couple of techniques that you can use that most people wouldn’tthink of.  Obviously, you can practicealone doing mobility maneuvers like strafe jumping, side to side strafing whileshooting at a stationary object, learning weapon recoil, and learningmaps.  And you can also practice yourgame by going against other players of slightly better skill level.

I find you can get a lot moreuseful gun to gun combat experience in relatively small instant action or teaminstant action maps where killing is constant. These rounds are intense, brain numbing at times, and can even wear outyour hand muscles if you are learning a new technique that you haven’t gotaccustomed to yet.

A slightly more “outside the box”method you can use is to limit yourself in certain clever ways.  If you are having trouble aiming properly andwant to improve that, grab a pistol or a shotgun instead of a scar and goagainst some guys at your level and see if that doesn’t force your aim toimprove.  If you are having troublegetting used to side to side strafe dodging, turn off your “forward” button sothat you have to go sideways for an entire round.  This type of stuff will help improve musclememory in those fingers, allowing you to get the hang of it more quickly thanif you tried adding it to your normal run straight forward mentality.  You can also overdo certain things even whenthey are not necessary (like proning over and over even when at close range) ifyou have trouble pressing the buttons quickly and effectively.

If I were to recommend a goodtraining regiment, I would do the following in a 1 hr period at least a couple oftimes per week:

-Find a server with skilledplayers (usually a server with clan members in it)

-Spectate the best players in 3 to5 minute intervals for 20 minutes

-Join the game and focus onpracticing something you learned or something you’ve been trying to improve for20 minutes

-Then just have goofy fun for 20minutes

-Repeat if necessary

I find this to be very helpful inlearning quickly but not getting burnt out on learning too quickly.

This ends the lesson on Spectatingand Practice.

I have been playing Crysis for a long time now...

started with Crysis 1 and getting my ass kicked by Xpi...LOL one of the best players I ever met...

still love your lessons buddy

THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  477
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  275
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

Great tutorial thanks. I watched the circle jump video link having tried to do it and failed for about a year now.... and there is a chance I might do better now. never knew the mouse speed thing or switch to speed after jumping tips.

One thing I didn't see mentioned above is that when shooting with a silencer you don't show up on the little map of where the nearest enemies are. (now I've typed it I'm having doubts about if it's true lol).

Shame the servers are so quiet. I've been away in Australia and come back to a lot of new maps here - Wizid and others have been busy! Just wish there were more players.

You are correct about the silencer, but I find that it is an overrated feature.  It is recommended if you are using a stealthier approach to game play, but not necessarily beneficial if you are using the assault methods that I have outlined. 

In most cases the enemy should be able to hear your movements and find you through sound (especially if you plan to use speed or armor which I use constantly).  I rarely if ever use the radar for that reason, I almost always hear my enemies before I see them unless they are sniping. 

Also, the radar is useless in detecting cloaked players, so it is not entirely reliable and shouldn't be overused IMO. 

We have been fiddling quite a bit with the servers...and yes it is too bad that wars is so dead because there is quite a bit of fun to be had.  Too many other good games out there I guess.

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  1700
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  385
  • Birthday:  02/03/1989

I came for the autoexec.cfg instructions...this is useful, thank you.

However, while I was here, I came across a couple things that weren't mentioned. In the weapon section, you say the scar is the most effective. I agree with this, but like you said, there are situations in which the FY71 are superior (you pointed out reload time). I would like to add that the FY71's draw time is far superior to that of the scar, making it the ideal weapon for when you need to jump out of a truck and start shooting immediately.

Also, silencers do decrease damage...not sure if that was mentioned.

Great guide.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.