Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

ticking lifters

Teleck

• Member ID:  601
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  389
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2583
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/13/1967

ok..i got a new (new to me) jeep grand cherokee ...2004   and i got ticking going on. didnt notice it when i bought it (it was raining like hell)  So today i got some of that MARVEL MYSTERY OIL and some synthic oil and will will do a oil change. to see if its a clogged thingy (thats what i know...dont know the jargin)...but if that dont work...whats my next step?   pull the valve cover off and take a look....dont know what i would see......what is it im looking for...and how about to do that?

so if ya could...can ya tell me what o look for and what to expect?

Thanks

• Member ID:  2048
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967
  • Device:  Windows

i love seafoam.Its a cleaning agent for the engine,oil and fuel..You can add it to the oil ....run it then drain it out to see if sticky lifter problem disapears .Also its great to clean out carbon from the intake by pulling off a vacuum line dipping it in bottle of seafoam keeping engine running ,when its at bottom of bottle submerse vacumm line in completly til vehicle dies out.Let sit awhile to soak and loosen debris  ,start,smoke the neighborhood for 10-15 minutes and walla upper engine decarbon.You can also add seafoam to the fuel.

• Member ID:  601
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  389
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2583
  • Birthday:  07/13/1967

got some tonight. added  to my crankcase thru the oil fill cap/hole.I'll run with it till the friday and do the vacum tube thing and then change the oil again and see whats what

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2119
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  461
  • Birthday:  09/11/1957

You could also try changing the oil and filter, and use 10w40 conventional (mineral) oil. The 5w30 stuff is for extended fuel mileage, less drag on the pump, but doesn't hold up that well with 190 degree coolant temps. Does it tap when cold or just when warmed up?

• Member ID:  1588
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  904
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5532
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/25/1966

Sorry I've been missing this forum-somehow got cutoff on my alerts. What engine size? 4.7 has bad exhaust manifolds and gaskets-5.7--get used to it normal operation because of the pushrod locations some do it worse than others chrysler says don't call us we will call you-does not cause excessive wear. DO NOT PUT 1040!! Sorry peg but chrysler is going straight synthetic 5w-20 in everthing, except diesel.1040 will fuck it up, tolerances are to tight now for 1040. Give me the last 8 #'s of your vin and I can hook you up on what you need.Smile ps PM me cause i'm goin on vacation and wont be surfin so much for the next 12 days.

Awards

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  2806
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  112
  • Achievement Points:  777
  • Birthday:  06/10/1979

Marvel mystery oil is also a great cleaner.  I used it one time in a car I had ticking lifters as I poured the marvel mystery in the lifter noise went away instantly.  Another good tip is to use this stuff 1qt to tank of fuel right before a smog check it cleans the fuel system out and helps.

• Member ID:  623
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1072
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  7809
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/26/1982

I realize this is a fairly old post, but I had to throw in my 2 cents anyway.

Rislone  is a good cleaner too, for oil system. It will definitely clean out any sludge build up.

I had an 89 Bronco II I used it in one time, and it cleaned so well I had to change the oil about every 2 or 3 weeks for about 6 changes, the filter was full every time.

• Member ID:  1103
  • Followers:  64
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1977
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  15642
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  01/01/2012

Teleck - ticking lifters

ok..i got a new (new to me) jeep grand cherokee ...2004   and i got ticking going on. didnt notice it when i bought it (it was raining like hell)  So today i got some of that MARVEL MYSTERY OIL and some synthic oil and will will do a oil change. to see if its a clogged thingy (thats what i know...dont know the jargin)...but if that dont work...whats my next step?   pull the valve cover off and take a look....dont know what i would see......what is it im looking for...and how about to do that?

Thanks

I'd go join up and post any questions on your Jeep here:  http://www.jeepgarage.org

Register here and put your vin in and you can get to the service records (Don't know how far they go back): https://www.jeep.com//hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/

• 6 months later...

• Member ID:  830
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  96
  • Achievement Points:  792
  • Birthday:  01/07/1969

You have to be careful using cleaning agents in the oil. In some cases all the sludge drops to the oil pan then stops up the oil pump screen. And you loose a engine. I use seafome on my vehicles in the oil and in the gas. As long as you dont have alot of sludge. Also never throw just any oil in as that can cause sludge. Run one type only.

• Member ID:  934
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5656
  • Birthday:  08/16/1960

Boy this will start a shit storm...............I used to work in a automotove machine shop and hot rod shop. I did the dissassembly and machining of the motors and parts. Over the four years I was there I noticed a commonality in all the badly gunked up motors. Quaker State Oil.

• Member ID:  42
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  8264
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Achievement Points:  53606
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959

If youi clean a broken window its still broken just looks clean. Don't worry about it ya bought it and it makes a noise. Turn your radio up and listen to XI channel 126 on xm radio. Your other option is to change all your lifters so don't worry about it. You may alos drive with your pp out while the wife is in the car you won't hear crap except for this whinning noise even the radio can't hide it ")

• Member ID:  2048
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

DID YOU RESOLVE THIS OR NOT?

• Member ID:  220
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.17
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

ok..i got a new (new to me) jeep grand cherokee ...2004 and i got ticking going on. didnt notice it when i bought it (it was raining like hell) So today i got some of that MARVEL MYSTERY OIL and some synthic oil and will will do a oil change. to see if its a clogged thingy (thats what i know...dont know the jargin)...but if that dont work...whats my next step? pull the valve cover off and take a look....dont know what i would see......what is it im looking for...and how about to do that?

Thanks

be careful with the synthetic oil as I dont recommend if you have many miles on your engine. Depending on how many miles you have synthetic being smaller almost perfectly evenly sized round molecules unlike conventional oil which varies can cause oil leaks you never had before as it passes way more easy. Even your drain plug can start leaking... seen it.

Murffys mystery oils is very good though... I would add a little to your fuel that way it is injected in the combustion chamber were the valves can get lubed up. The oil instruction will tell you how much to add to your fuel.

But questions for you... is it at all rpm's? Does the sound speed up as the rpms rise then fall as the car shifts gears? If you are driving is it a knocking sound? Todays cars including yours have a anti knocking program (might be wrong terminology) to compensate and prevent that as it has to do with timing. But wondering if the sound comes and go depending on rpms or speed up and slow down depending on rpm and is it a metal/metallic sound or a high pitch ticking like maybe a spark plug ticking sound..... tick tick tick tick. <---- spelling might be off for the sound. lol

If you think it can be cleaned out by cleaning your engine here is something else you can try. Take one quart of diesel fuel... dump a quart of your oil out to make sure not to much (dont want to blow a seal) and add the diesel to your engine... start and run for a few minutes engine cold but not very long then dump and I add new cheap oil then run then dump again and change your filter and add good conventional oil. I little left behind wont hurt a thing.

If you can get a doctors stethoscope you can narrow down where the sound it better. I had one and it worked great for finding problems origin. If the valves are in fact sticking.. you may need to get a valve job (lets fucking hope not due to $$$$$) to clear it up.

Another thing having to do with timing... if you put 87 octane in your tank which I am sure it asks for... put one tank of super in it.. 93 octane. Octane has to do with burn rate of fuel. The lower the octane the faster fuel burns.. higher octane burns slower. Sometimes people get new cars and put 93 in thinking it is cleaner and better and they fuck up the original timing as the engine computer adjusts the timing to compensate for the 93 fuel.

All worth a try.. but after a few of these tests.. you should do a compression test. If the valves are not seating correct you should be able to see what piston is causing the compression leak and probably the knocking.

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  6417
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Achievement Points:  54337
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

Once being a used car inspector/certifier and part idiot....I have ran into many very noisy ones and the one sure thing that always worked is dex3 and I will caution anyone to do this but I do it all the time every time....Now put in at least a half quart or whole one....Run engine at high idle to get to operating temp of engine ....Then rev up and down til tick goes away which I have found to be very fast under 20 minutes....Then change both oil and filter with proper oil weight....5/30 5/20 ETC... Quality oil is preferred....Never had one come back yet ticking...Its a very old school trick that is not recommended in today's engines but as I have said every time tick is gone....

All the Best

loADER

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  6417
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Achievement Points:  54337
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

• Member ID:  934
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5656
  • Birthday:  08/16/1960

If you use the deisel trick (or any other Cleanout proceedure) CHANGE THE FILTER 3 TIMES!!!! You won't beleive the gunk it pulls out and the filter, doing it's job, filters it all out.

Lucas products are top notch and 90% of the time do what they say.

If your car is truely "broke" no band aid will fix it. But a ticking lifter is fixable easily under $50.

As stated above get a stethoscope or long handled screwdriver to find the actual source of the problems. Put the tip of the screwdriver on various parts and your ear on the handle and listen for noise. You can find the source very easily. Be careful on a running engine. A friends car developed a LOUD tick that he thought was a bad bearing. He called me and we did the screwdriver trick. Found out the alternator was loose. The best part of mechanicing is a good diagnose proceedure.

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  4591
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  189

The 4.0's are common to develop a lifter tick. but it does not stop them.. the 4.0 is one of the most reliable 6cyl's made, and it's roots date back to 1965 to the first 232.

I would not put any kind of motor honey or additive in your oil. If you're hell bent on trying to make it go away, I would suggest putting Rislone in your oil. I woudn't trust any other additive.