Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Waterfox Freezes My Pc To A Stop.

BigPapaDean

• Member ID:  1128
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1188
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6490
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Achievement Points:  63167
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954
  • Device:  Windows

I can only use it for a few minutes and it shuts me down to where not even control/alt/delete works. I have to kill it manually and I do not like doing that. Any suggestions?

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1065
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8394
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  74551
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973

Uninstall it. It may be a bug that you may not be able to anything about. I tried waterfox but really did not see any improvement over Firefox. I have been using Chrome for some time now and prefer it over Firefox.

• Member ID:  389
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  290
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  4407
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Achievement Points:  36065
  • Days Won:  38
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970
  • Device:  Android

dean mite be that your AMD causing for its written for Intel  

What's Waterfox all about?

Waterfox is a high performance browser based on the Mozilla Firefox source code. Waterfox is specifically for 64-bit systems, with one thing in mind: speed.

Features:

• Compiled in Intel's C++ Compiler

• Intel's Math Library

• Streaming SIMD Extensions 3

• Advanced Vector Extensions

• Jemalloc

• Profile-Guided Optimisation

• /O3 Switch

• 100% Extension Compatibility

• 64-bit Plugin Support

• Future Proof!

Even Firefox freezes me up! I guess the only option is Chrome!

• Member ID:  2313
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  330
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  4924
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Achievement Points:  33897
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  05/26/1974

if u installed the newest 320.18 or .49 nvidia driver...its the driver causing same issue here dean rolled the driver back to 314.22 no issue after

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1065
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8394
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  74551
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973

It's odd that Fire or Waterfox locks you up.  Something not right for sure.  One of the reasons I went to Chrome is cause I got tired of the firefox updates all the time where they were not always positive.  I do run an AMD processor and as I did not have any problems with Waterfox when I tried it, I still prefer Chrome and find it to be a stable and quick browser.

Even Firefox freezes me up! I guess the only option is Chrome!

not waterfox or firefox its the new nvidia driver trust me

• Member ID:  3189
  • Followers:  93
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  5230
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  48729
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957

Not true CB.  I'm running the NVIDIA 320.18 driver and am typing this into Firefox at this instant.  Have not had one crash on this machine since installing it a few weeks ago I guess it was.  As a matter of fact, I've accidentally Alt+Tab'ed out of COD5 a couple of times (usually the kiss of death for the game) and have been able to switch back in without crashing the game.  Can't say it's the 320.18 driver that's pulled off that little miracle, and for all I know I've just been lucky as hell, but it's an interesting coincidence nonetheless.

Dean, did your Firefox issues start after you installed Waterfox?  If so, this may be an issue of dll files that have a common name between Firefox and Waterfox.  A logical assumption since they are based on the same Mozilla browser engine.  But the Waterfox dll files may be tweaked and recompiled for Waterfox, but Firefox does not know the difference and uses them too. 

Recommend you uninstall both Waterfox AND Firefox, reboot to be sure all uninstall clean-up tasks have been completed, then install Firefox from a fresh download from the Firefox website.  During the uninstall of both, confirm the deletion of any files Windows indicates are no longer used by any program.  AND - and this is important - if you have lots of bookmarks, before uninstalling, use the Firefox bookmark export feature to save a backup of your bookmarks so you can restore them once you've installed your clean copy of Firefox.

Yes, Chrome is a fine alternative.  I like it a lot, too.  I'd use it as my primary browser, but Google stubbornly refuses to add a setting to launch bookmarks and search results in a new tab.  It's the one thing I can do in Firefox that I cannot do in Chrome - very frustrating.  Also, throwing a new browser at Windows just because 2 others are broken seems a rather second-rate solution.  Let's get Firefox fixed.

I had never heard of Waterfox before noticing this thread.  Stay away from strange-ass forked-out browsers, people!  Chrome is probably the fastest.  Firefox is the most capable and standards compliant.  Internet Explorer is the same compliance-forged, feature lacking, piece of shit it has always been.  About the only forked edition of anything I would consider these days is LibreOffice over OpenOffice, but that's because the original developers defected to LibreOffice when it was clear that Sun Microsystems was going to get all wishy-washy with OpenOffice.

As a suggestion, and this goes for everyone in the clan and website members, ask before installing something you really don't know about.  The internet will make vomit jellybeans sound yummy, and this program or that superior to anything else.  They are not.  But there are people here who can set the record straight before you get into a mess, or offer up suggestions on something that's proven to work well as an alternative to what you're considering.

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5080
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Achievement Points:  44606
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

I had problems with Waterfox conflicting with my Realtek sound and lan drivers and Flashplayer.I uninstalled it and switched back to Firefox.I still get a hang up or 2 every once and a while because of Flashplayer when watching YouTube videos.

Pvt.Death makes a good point here.  Even with uninstalling, there may be conflicts with shared addons.  To mitigate issues with those, use the "Remove" button in the list of addons in Firefox.  I presume Waterfox has the same addon engine, so you should remove them from each browser before uninstalling the browser, and I suspect the process would look pretty much the same in both browsers.  This would also be a good time to make a list of addons you've installed so you can go get them later after a clean install.

• Member ID:  2048
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

used to get flash freezups sometimes  when video loads on a page.just rt click in video box /in settings  uncheck enable hardware acceleration in -its adobe flash settings box.

Not true CB.  I'm running the NVIDIA 320.18 driver and am typing this into Firefox at this instant.  Have not had one crash on this machine since installing it a few weeks ago I guess it was.  As a matter of fact, I've accidentally Alt+Tab'ed out of COD5 a couple of times (usually the kiss of death for the game) and have been able to switch back in without crashing the game.  Can't say it's the 320.18 driver that's pulled off that little miracle, and for all I know I've just been lucky as hell, but it's an interesting coincidence nonetheless.

Dean, did your Firefox issues start after you installed Waterfox?  If so, this may be an issue of dll files that have a common name between Firefox and Waterfox.  A logical assumption since they are based on the same Mozilla browser engine.  But the Waterfox dll files may be tweaked and recompiled for Waterfox, but Firefox does not know the difference and uses them too. 

Recommend you uninstall both Waterfox AND Firefox, reboot to be sure all uninstall clean-up tasks have been completed, then install Firefox from a fresh download from the Firefox website.  During the uninstall of both, confirm the deletion of any files Windows indicates are no longer used by any program.  AND - and this is important - if you have lots of bookmarks, before uninstalling, use the Firefox bookmark export feature to save a backup of your bookmarks so you can restore them once you've installed your clean copy of Firefox.

Yes, Chrome is a fine alternative.  I like it a lot, too.  I'd use it as my primary browser, but Google stubbornly refuses to add a setting to launch bookmarks and search results in a new tab.  It's the one thing I can do in Firefox that I cannot do in Chrome - very frustrating.  Also, throwing a new browser at Windows just because 2 others are broken seems a rather second-rate solution.  Let's get Firefox fixed.

I had never heard of Waterfox before noticing this thread.  Stay away from strange-ass forked-out browsers, people!  Chrome is probably the fastest.  Firefox is the most capable and standards compliant.  Internet Explorer is the same compliance-forged, feature lacking, piece of shit it has always been.  About the only forked edition of anything I would consider these days is LibreOffice over OpenOffice, but that's because the original developers defected to LibreOffice when it was clear that Sun Microsystems was going to get all wishy-washy with OpenOffice.

As a suggestion, and this goes for everyone in the clan and website members, ask before installing something you really don't know about.  The internet will make vomit jellybeans sound yummy, and this program or that superior to anything else.  They are not.  But there are people here who can set the record straight before you get into a mess, or offer up suggestions on something that's proven to work well as an alternative to what you're considering.

not everyone having this issue...waterfox is different than firefox...firefox is 32 bit waterfox is 64 bit ..apparently its got problem with 64 bit...im not the only complaining to nvidia bout this problem....and yes for me its the driver...i rolled it back 2 different times...as i tried to reinstall new driver...i got same issues everytime..i roll back driver all is good ..so yea for me its the driver causing problems and many others...its not just me...if dean is using waterfox he should be able to roll back driver to older driver it will quit locking up on him...waterfox is legitimate browser.as im typin and on waterfox now with no issues..this waterfox is built and ran on firefox kernel..they are linkd together...so waterfox is not the problem...its the new nvidia driver...so i am telling u its the driver causing this....i know from experience ...and dont forget im an A+ cert Net + cert pc techn....i also have ic3 cert and my mcp for various windows os...so i do know what im talkn bout here..just saying and listing my credentials...

Edited by CobraBites

I had problems with Waterfox conflicting with my Realtek sound and lan drivers and Flashplayer.I uninstalled it and switched back to Firefox.I still get a hang up or 2 every once and a while because of Flashplayer when watching YouTube videos.

did u download the newest 320.18 or 320.49 nividia driver? i did i got same issue as you did...roll the driver back this will stop if u did the newest driver....and it go back to normal......now flash player it self is having issue to not sure if its the latest version havin issue or what my guess would be more than likely...i get small hang ups when watching a video but nothing major....that is an issue with flash player itself..also if u guys were running waterfox did u download the latest version....new version is waterfox 17.0 or 18. cant remember which...but make sure u have the latest version....i did and my waterfox is running great as long as i dont download newest nvidia driver....

Edited by CobraBites

• Member ID:  1624
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  5061
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1972

Yes could be a driver issue,i too have been having problems with both the latest nvidia drivers,320.18 and 320.49.I would get random lock ups and freezes and have to hard reboot,so i have reverted to 320.11 driver which seems to be stable for me at the moment.Also with the newest drivers they dont take kindly to overclocked cards.

Have you checked your event viewer when this occurs to try and see what is causing this?Look for a faulting dll or process,then you will be able to investigate the cause.

Make sure you completely remove all traces of the old drivers when re-installing new ones as this can cause issues too,there is an option to do a clean install when installing new nvidia drivers.But personally i prefer to remove everything manually.

You could try the 320.11 driver and report back if there is any issues.

djMot I did the complete uninstall and then rebooted and reinstalled and as I was opening the Firefox browser it froze! Maybe they are right, I don't know but I will try just for the sake of it. Okay guys you keep saying to roll back the drivers but PLEASE give me the damned link so I can find them. I will try and see if it makes any dif!

all you have to do is go to right click on my computer...then click properties ...then click device manager....then click on ur display adapter then right click it then select properties ...then click driver tab....then all you have to do is click roll back driver....then reboot when its done...

then make sure u go into control panel ...the add/remove programs ....find old driver and uninstall the old driver...

Edited by CobraBites

not everyone having this issue...waterfox is different than firefox...firefox is 32 bit waterfox is 64 bit ..apparently its got problem with 64 bit...im not the only complaining to nvidia bout this problem....and yes for me its the driver...i rolled it back 2 different times...as i tried to reinstall new driver...i got same issues everytime..i roll back driver all is good ..so yea for me its the driver causing problems and many others...its not just me...if dean is using waterfox he should be able to roll back driver to older driver it will quit locking up on him...waterfox is legitimate browser.as im typin and on waterfox now with no issues..this waterfox is built and ran on firefox kernel..they are linkd together...so waterfox is not the problem...its the new nvidia driver...so i am telling u its the driver causing this....i know from experience ...and dont forget im an A+ cert Net + cert pc techn....i also have ic3 cert and my mcp for various windows os...so i do know what im talkn bout here..just saying and listing my credentials...

It is entirely possible that the 64-bit nature of the browser is the wildcard here and I've discounted that fairly heavily.  And I was unaware of the stink surrounding the 320.18 drivers.  That's unfortunate.  I think NVIDIA typically does a great job with their drivers, but as I've warned before, their beta drivers feel a little more alpha-ish to me and for my taste.  Never had a RTM release cause issues.  It's unlikely I'll roll mine back now as things have been absolutely fine.  I think it also goes without saying that NVIDIA is engaged in some serious damage control and a new release will be pushed out soon enough.   Not that I really am looking forward to a version that was rushed through to mitigate bad press or GPU failure liability...

I totally respect your credentials, CB, and have not meant to be disrespectful in any way throughout this thread.

I've been a career-long IT guy, too.  Started out learning about microprocessors in the late 70s in the USAF as they were steadily creeping into computing.  Worked at the hardware level on Data General "minicomputers" and attended their factory school where we learned the Eclipse line of computers right down to the AND, OR, NAND, NOR, and NOT gates making up the accumulators in the CPU.  Back in the real Air Force, that translated into maintaining lots of highly specialized equipment used for on-orbit command and control of weather satellites.  I was even ceremoniously ushered into a room one day in 1980 where I was introduced to a rack of equipment and oscilloscopes monitoring the communication quality of connectivity between some of our computers and other Defense  Department computers - yes, this was the still toddler-stage internet (then called ARPANET) before the masses gained access.

After the USAF, there are too many stops along my journey to go into deeply, but the Cliffs Notes includes IT roles including maintenance, sales, education, network administration, consulting, application development, database administration, and all manner of web technologies.  I hold a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) credential.

Okay, so you showed me yours and I showed you mind - we're both large and proud!  :)

As for Dean's problems, I think they all started when he loaded up WaterFoul (as JohnnyDos calls it now.)  And why?  Because of a claim of higher speed?  Because it's 64-bit?  I don't know.   Dean?  Why DID you do it?

Other than opening up a larger address space, the vast majority of 64-bit apps are not going to see shockingly improved gains in performance.  It totally makes sense to have a 64-bit OS today; anything else is just a stupid oversight unless hardware or OEM dictates no other choice.  But at the app level, yes there are some gains to be made with 64-bit compiles, but it is pretty unlikely that it's going to knock your socks off.  This is why I say not to go off all half-cocked believing a lot of hype about a new bell and whistle for your computer.  There's the leading edge, but there's also the bleeding edge.  If you really have to go there, why not try it on a non-production system first?  For you home viewers, that means a spare desktop or an old laptop or something - anything other than the computer you rely on to do your banking, shopping, gaming, and other stuff that makes your life the fun romp it is today.  That way, if it breaks, you'll know it's maybe not a good idea for your main computer.  Even if it all looks fine on a spare computer, you might still consider maintaining a current image backup so you can recover from a worst case scenario.  Sometimes "rolling back" can generate as many problems as you expect it to fix, so that image backup might just swoop in and save the day.

• Member ID:  3095
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1277
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/14/1963

Also, throwing a new browser at Windows just because 2 others are broken seems a rather second-rate solution.  Let's get Firefox fixed.

I had never heard of Waterfox before noticing this thread.  Stay away from strange-ass forked-out browsers, people!  Chrome is probably the fastest.

I couldn't agree more! I've been building/repairing computers for 25 years and I see it all the time.....usually with IE. People get malware on their machine and at the advice of a friend install a different browser. They THINK they have fixed their problems, but it's only a mask. The problem/malware are still there hiding in the background.

Why use some odd-ball browser? Stick with the big 3! That way you can be assured of getting immediate patches and upgrades.

djMot I want to answer your question first before I proceed with the latest developments. I installed Waterfox after several of the guys here in this forum recommended it as a good browser with for the most part no problems. It didn't cause any problems till last week it begin freezing my whole system and I had to hard boot and it struggled at that. Today it froze twice and I didn't even have the browser open. Yesterday after I uninstalled Firefox as it was freezing me up to and I was using Chrome and it simply froze up again. When I went ti reboot it then I had to use the windows repair tool to get the damned thing to reboot. About 20 minutes ago it froze with Chrome. At that point I went to follow Cobrabites advice but when I open device manager and click the display adaptors and roll back the drivers but there is no option for roll back drivers in there. So what do I do now? This is getting really annoying for sure. I appreciate all the help and advice you guys are giving me. I still don't know how to find the old drivers!

look dean if u dont have the roll back driver options its because old is not there anymore....for some reason....all u need to do is if u got ur video card disc i would go ahead and unistall the newest nvidia driver first then run ur nvidia disc it should be the original driver that urs came with...so all should be good if u got the disc...now if u dont have the disc i would suggest using nvidia drivers in the range of 311.08 - 314.22-the 318 drivers as those should be great and stable drivers...u can just do a search on those driver to find them...mayb from softonic or something like that.. if u need more help dean always feel free to hit me up...or im sure dj can help as well...gl dean

Edited by CobraBites

It is entirely possible that the 64-bit nature of the browser is the wildcard here and I've discounted that fairly heavily.  And I was unaware of the stink surrounding the 320.18 drivers.  That's unfortunate.  I think NVIDIA typically does a great job with their drivers, but as I've warned before, their beta drivers feel a little more alpha-ish to me and for my taste.  Never had a RTM release cause issues.  It's unlikely I'll roll mine back now as things have been absolutely fine.  I think it also goes without saying that NVIDIA is engaged in some serious damage control and a new release will be pushed out soon enough.   Not that I really am looking forward to a version that was rushed through to mitigate bad press or GPU failure liability...

I totally respect your credentials, CB, and have not meant to be disrespectful in any way throughout this thread.

I've been a career-long IT guy, too.  Started out learning about microprocessors in the late 70s in the USAF as they were steadily creeping into computing.  Worked at the hardware level on Data General "minicomputers" and attended their factory school where we learned the Eclipse line of computers right down to the AND, OR, NAND, NOR, and NOT gates making up the accumulators in the CPU.  Back in the real Air Force, that translated into maintaining lots of highly specialized equipment used for on-orbit command and control of weather satellites.  I was even ceremoniously ushered into a room one day in 1980 where I was introduced to a rack of equipment and oscilloscopes monitoring the communication quality of connectivity between some of our computers and other Defense  Department computers - yes, this was the still toddler-stage internet (then called ARPANET) before the masses gained access.

After the USAF, there are too many stops along my journey to go into deeply, but the Cliffs Notes includes IT roles including maintenance, sales, education, network administration, consulting, application development, database administration, and all manner of web technologies.  I hold a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) credential.

Okay, so you showed me yours and I showed you mind - we're both large and proud!  :)

As for Dean's problems, I think they all started when he loaded up WaterFoul (as JohnnyDos calls it now.)  And why?  Because of a claim of higher speed?  Because it's 64-bit?  I don't know.   Dean?  Why DID you do it?

Other than opening up a larger address space, the vast majority of 64-bit apps are not going to see shockingly improved gains in performance.  It totally makes sense to have a 64-bit OS today; anything else is just a stupid oversight unless hardware or OEM dictates no other choice.  But at the app level, yes there are some gains to be made with 64-bit compiles, but it is pretty unlikely that it's going to knock your socks off.  This is why I say not to go off all half-cocked believing a lot of hype about a new bell and whistle for your computer.  There's the leading edge, but there's also the bleeding edge.  If you really have to go there, why not try it on a non-production system first?  For you home viewers, that means a spare desktop or an old laptop or something - anything other than the computer you rely on to do your banking, shopping, gaming, and other stuff that makes your life the fun romp it is today.  That way, if it breaks, you'll know it's maybe not a good idea for your main computer.  Even if it all looks fine on a spare computer, you might still consider maintaining a current image backup so you can recover from a worst case scenario.  Sometimes "rolling back" can generate as many problems as you expect it to fix, so that image backup might just swoop in and save the day.

its all good buddy i just wanted u to know i do know little something bout pc issues...lol...but yea im pretty sure tho dean problem is the nvidia drivers update 320 ......and yea i agree nvidia usually produce great drivers this first time i ve seen an issue with their drivers...so hopefully they will be workn on this and not rushing something out ...but i dont think the problem stems from it just being 64 bit browsers ..i thought same thing to so i used the 32 bit reg firefox was goin good for bout 30 min or so..then it would freeze...at that point when decided to uninstall 320 update now all is good across the board...im still using the 64 bit waterfox with no issue since....love waterfox ...ever since waterfox came out with the newest update i started using it more and havent had to go back to 32 firefox.....so ppl dont knock waterfox...just cause u think its bs browser promising something better and u think its junk...its not waterfox is awesome as hell....that was not for u dj..lol it wsa for couple ppl trying to knock waterfox...

• Member ID:  62
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  73
  • Topic Count:  480
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4124
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  27905
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  06/16/1972

Maybe your pc sucks? I've been running Waterfox on Win7 64bit since it came out and never had a problem. I guess IE is your best bet then. :)