Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

An Open Door

Boomer

• Member ID:  2083
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3554
  • Content Per Day:  0.73
  • Achievement Points:  23761
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/20/1962

Ok Gang,

The door is now open for discussion, some things will be considered changeable...Papa Bear (Rugger) has mentioned a couple of things already, nothing bad of course, so I am gonna give you a chance to say something about it too!

Overall the feedback has been very positive on the MW2 and Ftag1 servers so far, from what I have heard while playing them myself anyway. I know not everyone has played them yet but this is the time to speak up, as I only want to make 1 change to them, when its done, its done.

If you give a dat a boy thats great, if not thats great too! I know I can't please everyone and I won't try to do that. I am looking for overall suggestions. However I do hope that my >XI< family and others that frequently play our servers enjoy playing the maps!

Thanks,

Boom

• Member ID:  2383
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  210
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1562
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/25/1970

Hey boomer from what ive heard about the maps they are very well done. youve done a good job buddy ill be checking them out for myself later on i havent had a chance with work relocation and all but i also have a couple of maps im finnishing up to gonna pass them by rat first .

cheers amigo

• Member ID:  934
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5656
  • Birthday:  08/16/1960

I liked the Hidden Valley map. Very nice without being crowded. The only probel I saw was in a couple spots you could hide in bushes and "see" all the way down the bushline. There needs to be a smaller bush at a 90 degree angle to the bushline to block the 2D shape of the bush. Kinda like a railroad track and ties. I'm NOT trying to ding your map, I think it is great. I respect the work you've done having done some Unreal maps in the past. Well done!!!

• Member ID:  2935
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1857
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/19/1978

hidden valley was a great map i liked it when i played

good work there

I liked the Hidden Valley map. Very nice without being crowded. The only probel I saw was in a couple spots you could hide in bushes and "see" all the way down the bushline. There needs to be a smaller bush at a 90 degree angle to the bushline to block the 2D shape of the bush. Kinda like a railroad track and ties. I'm NOT trying to ding your map, I think it is great. I respect the work you've done having done some Unreal maps in the past. Well done!!!

Its not a ding Yoda! This is part of what I am looking for TYVM!

:question: come on people, if your silence means you love it, thats great! but if not and you don't speak up then don't complain when the maps run! Just because your name is not Rugger doesn't mean I don't want to hear what you have to say, GOOD OR BAD, you won't hurt my feelings lol!

The reason I need you guys and gals is to help me fine tune the maps, so I need to hear input from you, when I send the files back to Rugger on these maps I want them to be right and complete, I only want to do this once because I'm a newby and its a pain in the arse, and it keeps from working on other maps ;)

BTW Rugger I made the changes you talked about on simple city, yes all of them, thanks for the input!

Yoda, I am looking into those bushes on hidden valley this morning, I think if I stagger them that will stop that from happening, Thanks!

Also on hidden valley I am looking at adding more trees to cut back on some of the sniping, but I need to hear from you people :rambo:

Thanks Queeny, I'm glad you liked it :smoke:

ok Yoda, I added more bushes and some boxes in each base area for alittle more protection, I mean cover ;)

• Member ID:  1155
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  192
  • Achievement Points:  1796
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/16/1976
  • Device:  Windows

I was looking for this post yesterday but could not find it. You should have included hidden_valley in the title!

Reposting some of what I already wrote with additions:

Yes good job and thank you for the hard work of making a map.

I finally had a chance to play it yesterday on COD4 FT MW2 Chicago. I can't find the post you had yesterday about comments on the map so I'll post them here. Again I appreciate the work you must have put in this map.

It is a big sniper map. Which is fine.

I think the middle buildings are mostly useless. Most of the middle buildings were avoided except the one with the balcony's as all of the others had no other way out. Since you couldn't escape the houses by jumping out the window no one used them after round 2.

The middle of the map is not used much. Snipers have good angles looking downhill. There is no strategic advantage or point to try and go to the middle of the map downhill. You might get a couple of shots off if you are a sniper down there but for an attacker it is suicide. It will always be better to charge down the sides of the map instead.

Maybe if there were tunnels leading from the spawns to the middle it would encourage people to go there more and not all stay on the sides.

Everyone stayed to the sides of the map and snipers cleared the way for the run & gunners to run all the way down the side. It just seemed all the game play was on the sides and not much of the map was used. The few stragglers that didn't follow everyone else on the sides were quickly frozen and mostly stuck for the remainder of the round.

I suggest some tunnels or something (which I normally hate but I felt I had to suggest something). Something to make the middle of the map more used. It seemed like wasted space when we played.

These comments really only apply to Freeze Tag. I have not played it on another mod. Again thank you for making a map.

Suggestions:

Put one tunnel connecting the two spawn points with an opening in the middle of the map (in the houses). Short of a teleporter I can't think of another way to get the middle of the map to see more action. Sonovabich said during his game people were using the middle, but during mine no one did after round 2. We had a full server with strong snipers and run and gunners on. Snipers cleared everyone out of the middle and the run and gunners charged down the sides of the map each round.

Once again thank you for the hard work making the map.

• Member ID:  42
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8264
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Achievement Points:  53608
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959

Maps are great there number 1 and 2 that you made. Don't spend too much time going backwards trying to make people happy. Your next map will reflect what people say here. So if its not broken don't fix it. I can see going back to make a map playable for ctf, FT or a big glitch . If that happens then while you in there drop a tunnel or two into it. So don't waste to much time trying to please everybody. Let your next map will do that.As for me I'm trying to sort out why I keep gettting kicked off my network I'll will be back I promise . Post number 2000 goes to Bummer good work buddy :)-

I was looking for this post yesterday but could not find it. You should have included hidden_valley in the title!

Reposting some of what I already wrote with additions:

Yes good job and thank you for the hard work of making a map.

I finally had a chance to play it yesterday on COD4 FT MW2 Chicago. I can't find the post you had yesterday about comments on the map so I'll post them here. Again I appreciate the work you must have put in this map.

It is a big sniper map. Which is fine.

I think the middle buildings are mostly useless. Most of the middle buildings were avoided except the one with the balcony's as all of the others had no other way out. Since you couldn't escape the houses by jumping out the window no one used them after round 2.

The middle of the map is not used much. Snipers have good angles looking downhill. There is no strategic advantage or point to try and go to the middle of the map downhill. You might get a couple of shots off if you are a sniper down there but for an attacker it is suicide. It will always be better to charge down the sides of the map instead.

Maybe if there were tunnels leading from the spawns to the middle it would encourage people to go there more and not all stay on the sides.

Everyone stayed to the sides of the map and snipers cleared the way for the run & gunners to run all the way down the side. It just seemed all the game play was on the sides and not much of the map was used. The few stragglers that didn't follow everyone else on the sides were quickly frozen and mostly stuck for the remainder of the round.

I suggest some tunnels or something (which I normally hate but I felt I had to suggest something). Something to make the middle of the map more used. It seemed like wasted space when we played.

These comments really only apply to Freeze Tag. I have not played it on another mod. Again thank you for making a map.

Suggestions:

Put one tunnel connecting the two spawn points with an opening in the middle of the map (in the houses). Short of a teleporter I can't think of another way to get the middle of the map to see more action. Sonovabich said during his game people were using the middle, but during mine no one did after round 2. We had a full server with strong snipers and run and gunners on. Snipers cleared everyone out of the middle and the run and gunners charged down the sides of the map each round.

Once again thank you for the hard work making the map.

well like I said all comments are welcome good or bad doesn't matter to me, however your wrong about the center of the map, it sees more action than you think, and only playing it one time doesn't count for much from where I sit, try it a couple of times and see how you feel then.... and maybe as far as tactical aspects go, you should learn some yourself no offence btw, the center of the map ROCKS! whomever controls the center pretty much wins the map. Now if you happen to be on a weak team thats just the game and thats the way it is, it never makes for an enjoyable game no matter the map...

As far as tunnels are concerned thats a big NO GO, the valley drops down over 2 storys in height and would suck to try and do something like that, now if you would have taken some time to read the post before yours you would have seen that some changes have been made already which will relieve some of the sniper action.

I did not intend on it being a snipers map and now that the sides have been changed that will change some of the game play, when I am done with it and send it back to Rugger then the changes I make will show up on the servers but not until then, the modder has requested some changes which will take me some time for the effects he wants, as far as the modder is concerned and now that I know Rugger will put the map or maps on all the servers I will be better prepared now that I know whats needed for certain games and game types.

As far as Ftag is concerned, thats what I play 99.9% of the time, I am seldom in Ace mod or even in mw2, point is, we have no problem utilizing the entire map when we play, as a matter of fact the people I play with head to the center right off the bat.

Its a hard map to play which makes for a fun game, maybe your trying to run to far at a single moment and not utilizing the buildings & boxes spread through the center, I have used them myself several times now and I have no problem going anywhere I want to go.

Hey who knows maybe you were just having a bad day, thats ok we all have them!

Oh yeah, there was only 2 maps released so which ever one you would have talked about I would have known which 1 you were referrring to.

Just take a deep breath, count to 10 and go kill someone! Have a nice day :welcome:

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.08
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008

Just take a deep breath, count to 10 and go kill someone! Have a nice day :welcome:

Much easier said than done for me in this game. :guitar:

Maps are great there number 1 and 2 that you made. Don't spend too much time going backwards trying to make people happy. Your next map will reflect what people say here. So if its not broken don't fix it. I can see going back to make a map playable for ctf, FT or a big glitch . If that happens then while you in there drop a tunnel or two into it. So don't waste to much time trying to please everybody. Let your next map will do that.As for me I'm trying to sort out why I keep gettting kicked off my network I'll will be back I promise . Post number 2000 goes to Bummer good work buddy :)-

Oh its no problem Labob, I look forward to hear from people who have something to say, like I said good or bad makes no difference, I won't get angry about it besides I am looking for an overall response, which there has been VERY little at all good or bad as far as the forum is concerned! I didn't say I would change the map to please any 1 person, unless its Papa Bear hahahaha!

And shockingly enough the responses while in game have been, "AWESOME"! I thought there would be some rough ones to handle but everyone seems to love them...so far haha!

Well fix your stuff man, I'm glad to see you back online, besides I need your help hehe!!!!

And thanks for giving up your 2K post for me :smoke:

This is Bummer>XI< and I thank you for your support :hrhr:

Much easier said than done for me in this game. :guitar:
haha Good to see you Sammy! add me to your xfire: boomer62 Edited by Boomer

• Member ID:  2567
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  2904
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  17118
  • Birthday:  12/11/1986

Damn... I don't like the hidden_valley... It's a camper/sniper map... And I love sniper maps but not this one. I played it a little on the FT1.

It is too symmetrical for me, insufficiently strategic, it seems like noobs and pro players can do the same score on this map. Each side spawn on the opposite of the map but it's like we're on the same side each rounds.

Go in the middle is a total suicid. Many risks for a little reward if you go on a house alone, you can be frozen a long time. So people go on the sides.

As Ruthless, this comment is also just for freeze tag. On TDM it could be really fun to snip everytime :thumbsup:

Thanks for your map Boomer. I'll try it again to see if my opinion will change ^^

• Member ID:  1155
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  192
  • Achievement Points:  1796
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/16/1976

Something went wrong with the Quote feature in my browser window. So your comments are in "". My apologies it is a little hard to read.

"well like I said all comments are welcome good or bad doesn't matter to me, however your wrong about the center of the map, it sees more action than you think, and only playing it one time doesn't count for much from where I sit, try it a couple of times and see how you feel then"

You are absolutely right. I should play it more than once. I was just giving you a review on playing it once. If you would like and you have enough people – I will play it repeatedly.

"... and maybe as far as tactical aspects go, you should learn some yourself no offence btw"

None taken. My stats speak for themselves.

", the center of the map ROCKS! whomever controls the center pretty much wins the map. Now if you happen to be on a weak team thats just the game and thats the way it is, it never makes for an enjoyable game no matter the map..."

I respectfully disagree. My team controlled the edge and destroyed the other team. We then mopped up the people hiding in the center. We won the match 5 - 0. I was top of the team (after sooners left)."

"As far as tunnels are concerned thats a big NO GO, the valley drops down over 2 storys in height and would suck to try and do something like that, now if you would have taken some time to read the post before yours you would have seen that some changes have been made already which will relieve some of the sniper action."

I am trying to read the thread and comments about this map. I did not mean any disrespect here. I am sorry if my comments are out of line. It seems there are some hard feelings here.

"I did not intend on it being a snipers map and now that the sides have been changed that will change some of the game play, when I am done with it and send it back to Rugger then the changes I make will show up on the servers but not until then, the modder has requested some changes which will take me some time for the effects he wants, as far as the modder is concerned and now that I know Rugger will put the map or maps on all the servers I will be better prepared now that I know whats needed for certain games and game types.

As far as Ftag is concerned, thats what I play 99.9% of the time, I am seldom in Ace mod or even in mw2, point is, we have no problem utilizing the entire map when we play, as a matter of fact the people I play with head to the center right off the bat.

Its a hard map to play which makes for a fun game, maybe your trying to run to far at a single moment and not utilizing the buildings & boxes spread through the center, I have used them myself several times now and I have no problem going anywhere I want to go.

Hey who knows maybe you were just having a bad day, thats ok we all have them!"

Here is where some possible misunderstanding comes in. I am sorry if it comes off like I am trying to put down your map. That was not my intention. I was not angry at the map as you imply. As I said earlier, my team won 5 – 0.

"Oh yeah, there was only 2 maps released so which ever one you would have talked about I would have known which 1 you were referrring to."

I did. The top of my conversation starts with 'I was looking for this post yesterday but could not find it. You should have included hidden_valley in the title'.

"Just take a deep breath, count to 10 and go kill someone! Have a nice day"

I am sorry there was some misunderstanding here. I play COD 4 a lot – too much sometimes. I felt I make a good comment on a map. I have hundreds of maps memorized in my head. I appreciate anyone who works on maps. Thank you.

• Member ID:  934
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5656
  • Birthday:  08/16/1960

There are definately two different playing style between our server and MW servers. On our servers people definately go to the center buildings but on MW2 they go for the sides. Our servers talk more about tactics and telling everyone where enemies are and watch for the advancing players. On MW2 the snipers are in the anti-sniper role more. They watch for snipers while our server the advanced team hunt for them more. Sorry if I offended anyone but that's the way I see it.

I ran around yesterday looking for the spot I told you about but couldn't find it..............then I find out you moved it. LOL

• Member ID:  3036
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.08
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008

That is true. When sniping I tend to look for enemy snipers hiding in buildings or behind a hill and such. Unless there is a good target of opportunity behind a tree or something. Rushers I tend to avoid. Partially because my skills need a lot of improvement. But also because they are better handled by my own teams rushers. So it all depends.

There are definately two different playing style between our server and MW servers. On our servers people definately go to the center buildings but on MW2 they go for the sides. Our servers talk more about tactics and telling everyone where enemies are and watch for the advancing players. On MW2 the snipers are in the anti-sniper role more. They watch for snipers while our server the advanced team hunt for them more. Sorry if I offended anyone but that's the way I see it.

I ran around yesterday looking for the spot I told you about but couldn't find it..............then I find out you moved it. LOL

I agree with you DarthYoda, there are really two different strategies. On the MW2 server, players can run fast and jump again and again all across fields, we can't do that on the FT1, really different.

But I found it's also the case on many maps. You take exactly the same maps on the two servers and players gonna have different ways to play the map on each server. It's why it's cool to have two mods completly differents ^^

Edited by Exe

• Member ID:  101
  • Followers:  109
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.14
  • Content Count:  8133
  • Content Per Day:  1.52
  • Achievement Points:  61498
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  01/23/1974
  • Device:  iPhone

The BOOMER the map is simple and to the point..The middle buildings are good too..Provide excellent coverage if you want to attack threw the middle..

The only problem I have BOOMER is my package hangs high..Can you give me a HAND with my package and help me get it down..LMAO..Care package wont drop down brother..stays in the air...

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

Hidden Valley has something for all game types, the snipers can sit back and try to pick you off but there is plenty of cover, bushes buildings etc to let you get around the map so run n gun players can get to the snipers., i played this map twice now and the middle buildings get plenty of activity. Not to sure about the other map for ftag though, is it Simple City, i think it would be better suited on the Ace Mod for FFA play, people were getting pretty bored yesterday it went on for ages, everything looks the same all over the map, i'm not saying it's a bad map just don't think it works for ftag m8.

Edited by Sonovabich

The BOOMER the map is simple and to the point..The middle buildings are good too..Provide excellent coverage if you want to attack threw the middle..

The only problem I have BOOMER is my package hangs high..Can you give me a HAND with my package and help me get it down..LMAO..Care package wont drop down brother..stays in the air...

Yeah I know about that Chili, I'm gonna raise the ceiling height so that will work properly, we don't have that ability on Ftag1 so I didn't make it to have that... I didn't know the maps were going on mw2, but for now on when ever I do a map, it have that high ceiling and some other scripting in them to allow for airstrikes, heli's, carepackages yadda yadda :)

Something went wrong with the Quote feature in my browser window. So your comments are in "". My apologies it is a little hard to read.

"well like I said all comments are welcome good or bad doesn't matter to me, however your wrong about the center of the map, it sees more action than you think, and only playing it one time doesn't count for much from where I sit, try it a couple of times and see how you feel then"

You are absolutely right. I should play it more than once. I was just giving you a review on playing it once. If you would like and you have enough people – I will play it repeatedly.

"... and maybe as far as tactical aspects go, you should learn some yourself no offence btw"

None taken. My stats speak for themselves.

", the center of the map ROCKS! whomever controls the center pretty much wins the map. Now if you happen to be on a weak team thats just the game and thats the way it is, it never makes for an enjoyable game no matter the map..."

I respectfully disagree. My team controlled the edge and destroyed the other team. We then mopped up the people hiding in the center. We won the match 5 - 0. I was top of the team (after sooners left)."

"As far as tunnels are concerned thats a big NO GO, the valley drops down over 2 storys in height and would suck to try and do something like that, now if you would have taken some time to read the post before yours you would have seen that some changes have been made already which will relieve some of the sniper action."

I am trying to read the thread and comments about this map. I did not mean any disrespect here. I am sorry if my comments are out of line. It seems there are some hard feelings here.

"I did not intend on it being a snipers map and now that the sides have been changed that will change some of the game play, when I am done with it and send it back to Rugger then the changes I make will show up on the servers but not until then, the modder has requested some changes which will take me some time for the effects he wants, as far as the modder is concerned and now that I know Rugger will put the map or maps on all the servers I will be better prepared now that I know whats needed for certain games and game types.

Hey who knows maybe you were just having a bad day, thats ok we all have them!"

Here is where some possible misunderstanding comes in. I am sorry if it comes off like I am trying to put down your map. That was not my intention. I was not angry at the map as you imply. As I said earlier, my team won 5 – 0.

"Oh yeah, there was only 2 maps released so which ever one you would have talked about I would have known which 1 you were referrring to."

I did. The top of my conversation starts with 'I was looking for this post yesterday but could not find it. You should have included hidden_valley in the title'.

"Just take a deep breath, count to 10 and go kill someone! Have a nice day"

I am sorry there was some misunderstanding here. I play COD 4 a lot – too much sometimes. I felt I make a good comment on a map. I have hundreds of maps memorized in my head. I appreciate anyone who works on maps. Thank you.

No, no hard feelings! I guess its like Yoda said just different playing styles on 2 different game types, and I don't pay attn to stats really, again I am not angry over your post and didn't mean to come across as such... I have already made several changes to both maps which right now are making it hard for me to play because on my computer I see the changes already and you guys don't and its hard to remember what was there and what wasn't haha. I think some of these changes will change up the game play quite a bit. I am still not done with them... These were my first 2 maps as Labob stated and I am not afraid to make some changes that will enhance the game play I hope! Have a nice day :welcome:

Damn... I don't like the hidden_valley... It's a camper/sniper map... And I love sniper maps but not this one. I played it a little on the FT1.

It is too symmetrical for me, insufficiently strategic, it seems like noobs and pro players can do the same score on this map. Each side spawn on the opposite of the map but it's like we're on the same side each rounds.

Go in the middle is a total suicid. Many risks for a little reward if you go on a house alone, you can be frozen a long time. So people go on the sides.

As Ruthless, this comment is also just for freeze tag. On TDM it could be really fun to snip everytime :thumbsup:

Thanks for your map Boomer. I'll try it again to see if my opinion will change ^^

Its all the dust in your computer Exe clean that nasty thing out hahahahaha

Hidden Valley has something for all game types, the snipers can sit back and try to pick you off but there is plenty of cover, bushes buildings etc to let you get around the map so run n gun players can get to the snipers., i played this map twice now and the middle buildings get plenty of activity. Not to sure about the other map for ftag though, is it Simple City, i think it would be better suited on the Ace Mod for FFA play, people were getting pretty bored yesterday it went on for ages, everything looks the same all over the map, i'm not saying it's a bad map just don't think it works for ftag m8.

Yeah its different and simple in its construction, I didn't mean for all the side houses to be the same but because I didn't save some things in a different manner, if I change 1 of them they all change.... but thats how it got its name lol. But I also know how to change that now so every house doesn't look the same. My first map was a lot better to me, but some people like a lot of tight close buildings so thats what I gave them. Rugger asked me to change some things which I have done, but again you guys don't see what I see, yet..... thats why I wanted some input, being a new mapper I knew there would be some things I would naturally miss. But hey you gotta start somewhere :w00t:

Its all the dust in your computer Exe clean that nasty thing out hahahahaha

No more dust now, I got a new case mate :smoke: