Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Paula Deen.....what's Your Opinion?

little_old_man

• Member ID:  1194
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

A very sensitive subject, but there isn't any reason we can't discuss it like adults. If the conversation gets out of hand I'll be the first person to hit the alert button and have the subject pulled from the message board. But I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the drama that has been unfolding here it is in a nutshell.

Paula Deen is (or was) a very popular chef on the Food Network here in the US. Back in 2007 she was at her brother's wedding when a woman who was working at the wedding claims that she was sexually harassed and overheard Paula Deen and her brother using the "N" word.  Paula Deen denies the charges and during a deposition she gave, the attorney asked her if she had ever used the "N" word in her lifetime. She answered honestly and said "yes", but not in many years. She grew up in the southern US in the late 50's and 60's and for some, hearing or saying that word would have been very common, especially before the civil rights movement. She said that the last time she said it was in the 1980's shortly after being robbed at gunpoint by two black men.

Since her admission that she had used that word before, her show on the food network has been cancelled, and many advertisers have dropped her. People have labled her a racist, and her career seems to be unraveling before our eyes.

Personally, I can't think of anybody who couldn't honestly answer that same questions as "YES" if they they were asked if they have ever said the "N" word before. Does that make us all racists?

• Member ID:  489
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  547
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  4668
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  41028
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  01/09/1963
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

I would give my opinion, but that's frowned upon in AmErIKa these days. I might even consider Edward Snowden a patriot, but that's also verboten. Best leave the dogs asleep.

51ca23e7f16d5_happyfacewithzippermouth30

I would give my opinion, but that's frowned upon in AmErIKa these days. I might even consider Edward Snowden a patriot, but that's also verboten. Best leave the dogs asleep.

I'm not looking for opinions on race relations in the US, I'm just trying to get a feel if people think Paula Deen is getting what she deserves, or if she's getting a raw deal.

Has it gotten to the point where even a discussion about that word which shall remain nameless is taboo?

Edited by little_old_man

• Member ID:  22339
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  167
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1714
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Achievement Points:  12960
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  03/20/1972
  • Device:  Android

I read the Complaint filed against her and her company.  People are taking that as factual information when, in fact, it is merely allegations. Most of the allegations were against Paula's brother, Bubba. The allegations may be true.   I don't know.  Regardless, she's probably ruined forever.  

I am of the opinion that people have the right to say anything they want.  It doesn't mean they should or that what they say is appropriate. We're supposed to have freedom of speech in this country but apparently it only applies to certain people.  I am sure that we have all said things we didn't mean at one time or another.  It would be sad if we all lost our job any time we said something stupid.  Locally, a black fireman said something racist about a Hispanic boy via Twitter.  The fireman was fired from his job.  What he said was terrible, in my opinion, but I don't think he should lose his job over it.  

If people were that upset about what Paula Dean said, she would get punishment without being fired from Food Network.  They would stop watching her show, stop buying her products and stop visiting her restaurant.  Her restaurant was flooded with patrons in recent days.  

• Member ID:  1103
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  64
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1977
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  15642
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  01/01/2012

There is one fact.  She is a Moron for the way she handled it and listening to whomever advised her to handle it that way.

There is one fact.  She is a Moron for the way she handled it and listening to whomever advised her to handle it that way.

No argument here. The apology video made things worse than they had to be. As BB pointed out, the law suit against her is still in the courts and she denies any wrongdoing. I could say that I was standing next to Obama at a party 15 years ago and overheard him say something bad about whites, and you basically have as strong of case as they're pushing against Paula Deen at the moment. It's a damn shame things have come to this.

• Member ID:  2048
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967
  • Device:  Windows

U CANT FIX STUPID.WHAT AN IDIOT.

The Complaint I read was from one person.  I do not know if there are others or not.  I haven't heard of any others but they may start lining up now.  Supposedly, the alleged incidents took place from 2005 to 2010.  My questions are:  

1. Why are we just now hearing about it?

2.  Where is the proof?

3.  Are there any other witnesses to the alleged behavior?

Edited by BurnnBright

• Member ID:  842
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  278
  • Content Count:  3712
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  28451
  • Birthday:  05/04/1965

First of all every single one of us has something to regret in our past....everyone...

Second of all the whole world has gone crazy.....

Third of all firing her for ALLEGATIONS only makes her employers look foolish...

Fourth she made is worse with the apology...

Fifth the whole world has gone crazy....

And lastly Paula Deen beloved for her butter cream sugar laden receipes hid the fact she had diabetes all the while whipping cream and butter into every receipe we were supposed to make...

But my ANSWER to the question LOM poses is yes,she got a raw deal because the whole world has gone crazy....

Edited by deerejon

• Member ID:  2313
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  330
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  4924
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Achievement Points:  33897
  • Birthday:  05/26/1974

I read the Complaint filed against her and her company.  People are taking that as factual information when, in fact, it is merely allegations. Most of the allegations were against Paula's brother, Bubba. The allegations may be true.   I don't know.  Regardless, she's probably ruined forever.  

I am of the opinion that people have the right to say anything they want.  It doesn't mean they should or that what they say is appropriate. We're supposed to have freedom of speech in this country but apparently it only applies to certain people.  I am sure that we have all said things we didn't mean at one time or another.  It would be sad if we all lost our job any time we said something stupid.  Locally, a black fireman said something racist about a Hispanic boy via Twitter.  The fireman was fired from his job.  What he said was terrible, in my opinion, but I don't think he should lose his job over it.  

If people were that upset about what Paula Dean said, she would get punishment without being fired from Food Network.  They would stop watching her show, stop buying her products and stop visiting her restaurant.  Her restaurant was flooded with patrons in recent days.  

not just allegations she admitted to using the word.....but it was in the past...now they wont to make her pay for it...she apologized for it....think it getn blown out of proportion if u askd me

• Member ID:  174
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  129
  • Topic Count:  387
  • Content Count:  14878
  • Content Per Day:  2.78
  • Achievement Points:  91026
  • Days Won:  52
  • Birthday:  04/23/1970
  • Device:  iPhone

The problem is she has used those terms on several different occasions which shows a pattern of complete disregard for individuals of different races. Do I agree with BB statement about freedom of speech? To a certain degree I do. Everyone is free to speak their mind but if you use your power to incite violence or prejudicial action against an individual or group, then that is considered hate speech and should pay the price for such remarks.

Paula Deen lost her job and sponsors because no one wants to be associated with an individual that condons that behavior. But the public has a short memory and at times. willing to forgive. I would bet we will see her back on the food network sometime in the future.

Edited by PimpedOutPete

• Member ID:  4888
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2020
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  26312
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/29/1962

The hand basket is here and America is boarding . . .next stop . . . . HELL!

You hit the nail on the head Deerejon the nation has gone crazy and is headed to hell in a hand basket and there is no solution in sight. 

LOM I think Paula Dean is harmelss and is the latest public figure to be taken down for something she said years ago . . .  ridiculous

Shame on her sponsers for canceling her. 

The media needs to go back to school on what is truly news and start covering stories that effect the nation . . .like a scandelous president and congress.

Maybe Ms Dean will be able to salvage some of her career who knows but pulling a skeliton from her closet and dragging it down the street for everyone to see and make judgement on stinks

Pete, I think you worded the freedom of speech statement better than I did.  I was trying to say what you said.  I believe we have the right to say whatever we want but we should be prepared for the consequences.  

I know she admitted to using the word in the past.  While it may show a pattern of behavior, I think it's possible that it could have been situational and people do grow and change.  I've said some really stupid things that I didn't mean or that don't represent how I really feel.  She may still use such words.  I don't know.  My point is that she shouldn't be fired for it unless she used it on the Food Network set.  I'm certainly not defending her actions.  I'm just saying that she shouldn't be fired based on allegations.  If she is found guilty of the allegations, then she deserves what she gets.  

Cobra:  I was referring to the multiple allegations in the Complaint filed with the Courts, not just the use of one word.  

I can't help but wonder why people are so hard on Paula Dean but are accepting of people like Jamie Fox?  Makes no sense to me.  

• Member ID:  434
  • Followers:  58
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Content Count:  1289
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  12930
  • Days Won:  5

I grew up in the late 60s early 70s in southern Louisiana and that word was/is a very common word to hear from anyone. In my area it is used to describe a subculture rather than a skin tone. As in, "my brother used to be a n***word, but he got his shit together and he's OK now". A lot of people tell jokes that use that word but then again any race, creed, orientation, handicap or normalcy is not off limits to friendly mockery. The term coined for this is "casual racism". It's when you are just being funny and don't mean any harm.  There are people who still use it to describe a skin tone, but i think that's just mean.

My father was very prejudiced against anyone with skin darker his but my mother was not that way and taught us kids not to judge people until we had all the evidence (her father was a judge).  We had a very nice (black) lady that cleaned the house once a week and she was like a member of the family. My dad used the "n" word very often, but never around her or about her. She was a lady in the truest sense, just like my momma was. She wore gloves and a scarf to church just like we did. She was the first "person of color" I knew and having her in our house was always fun. When she retired we were all sad and never hired anyone to replace her. I remember my brothers flirting with her, age didn't matter... it was all in fun. flirting always is. She would blush and tell them to hush. It wasn't until i was older that I understood the flirt, it was always about her giving them their goodbye kisses and them wanting more "sugar". she would laugh and blush and they would hoot and run.

Guess my point is that anyone who lived in the south during that time period has more than likely said that word. Honest people who don't lie about it are condemned. And if we are going to shun someone for their behavior in their personal life I have a better list: Justin Bieber, Kayne West, Tom Cruise... let's shun them.

*edit: the flirt my brothers used with her was about brown sugar being sweeter. like I said, didn't get it until i was older.

Edited by Janey

I agree BB, this subject, like so many has its double standards along with a very grey middle ground. This more than ever speaks to us as a society. We have a nasty habit of building idols and heroes, to then only tear them down again.

Indeed, Pete.  Double standards are everywhere.  

I never in a million years thought I'd say this, but I like what Al Sharpton had to say about the matter:  

Sharpton knows that “we’ve all said things we’ve regretted,” and he’s not particularly worried about what words Deen used long ago. “She’s being condemned for now. There’s a live lawsuit accusing her of racism and bias now and that’s what I’m concerned about,” he said.

Deen was invited back on the “Today” show Wednesday. If Sharpton had the chance to swap seats with Lauer, what would he counsel?

“I would tell her if she’s guilty of this she should be prepared like Michael Richards to lose a lot of her gigs,” he said. “It’s one thing to have done something growing up in the South, or in your past. It’s another thing that in your success you continue to do that, and she like anyone else should have to pay a price if that’s what she’s done.”

http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20130625/AIK0401/130629691/1037/AIK0401/is-paula-deen-toast-in-racial-controversy

Read more: Is Paula Deen toast in racial controversy? | Aiken Standard
Follow us: @aikenstandard on Twitter | aikenstandard on Facebook

Indeed, Pete.  Double standards are everywhere.  

I never in a million years thought I'd say this, but I like what Al Sharpton had to say about the matter:  

Sharpton knows that “we’ve all said things we’ve regretted,” and he’s not particularly worried about what words Deen used long ago. “She’s being condemned for now. There’s a live lawsuit accusing her of racism and bias now and that’s what I’m concerned about,” he said.

Deen was invited back on the “Today” show Wednesday. If Sharpton had the chance to swap seats with Lauer, what would he counsel?

“I would tell her if she’s guilty of this she should be prepared like Michael Richards to lose a lot of her gigs,” he said. “It’s one thing to have done something growing up in the South, or in your past. It’s another thing that in your success you continue to do that, and she like anyone else should have to pay a price if that’s what she’s done.”

http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20130625/AIK0401/130629691/1037/AIK0401/is-paula-deen-toast-in-racial-controversy

Read more: Is Paula Deen toast in racial controversy? | Aiken Standard

Follow us: @aikenstandard on Twitter | aikenstandard on Facebook

Good grief, what is the  "Aiken Standard"....lol  

LOL. Aiken Standard is a small town newspaper but the article originates from the Associated Press.  

• Member ID:  715
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943

Overkill on political correctness.

Not anything new anymore unfortunately.

The problem is she has used those terms on several different occasions which shows a pattern of complete disregard for individuals of different races. Do I agree with BB statement about freedom of speech? To a certain degree I do. Everyone is free to speak their mind but if you use your power to incite violence or prejudicial action against an individual or group, then that is considered hate speech and should pay the price for such remarks.

Paula Deen lost her job and sponsors because no one wants to be associated with an individual that condons that behavior. But the public has a short memory and at times. willing to forgive. I would bet we will see her back on the food network sometime in the future.

Terry are you getting the same news I'm getting? Where did it say anywhere that she'd used that term on several different occasions, and how did that show a pattern of disregard for other races? 

All I've seen was an accusation by a former employee of her brothers who claimed she was in the room when she said the "N" word, which Deen denies. She admitted to using the word years ago after being robbed at gunpoint by two black men. So where's the pattern?

For whatever reasons people associate only southerners with racism when nothing could be further from the truth. New York City has Harlem, and every major city in the US has neighborhoods divided by race and ethnic boundaries. I grew up in a small rural town in southern Ohio and it was very racially divided. I spent most of my junior high years running from the black kids who wanted to steal my lunch money, and by the time I was in high school and big enough to handle myself, some of those same black kids were my best friends. I'll never forget when I was about 10 and a white neighbor woman came to our door and wanted my dad to sign a petition to keep a black family from moving into our neighborhood. My dad slammed the door in her face and we never spoke to those people again.

Terry are you getting the same news I'm getting? Where did it say anywhere that she'd used that term on several different occasions, and how did that show a pattern of disregard for other races? 

All I've seen was an accusation by a former employee of her brothers who claimed she was in the room when she said the "N" word, which Deen denies. She admitted to using the word years ago after being robbed at gunpoint by two black men. So where's the pattern?

For whatever reasons people associate only southerners with racism when nothing could be further from the truth. New York City has Harlem, and every major city in the US has neighborhoods divided by race and ethnic boundaries. I grew up in a small rural town in southern Ohio and it was very racially divided. I spent most of my junior high years running from the black kids who wanted to steal my lunch money, and by the time I was in high school and big enough to handle myself, some of those same black kids were my best friends. I'll never forget when I was about 10 and a white neighbor woman came to our door and wanted my dad to sign a petition to keep a black family from moving into our neighborhood. My dad slammed the door in her face and we never spoke to those people again.

Im not sure Steve but I thought I heard that other previous employees of Deen and her brother are now coming forward with their own allegations. I also heard that Deen at one point asked Black waiters to dress as slaves for a wedding reception she was planning.... That's in terrible taste if that's true.

As for Deen, I have no horse in this race. I have heard of her but know little about her. I grew up Steve in a large metro area in eastern Canada. Multiculturalism is the norm for most Canadians. Racism is a personal issue that I think we all have experienced in some form or another. My wife grew up in rural Kansas and the stories she told me blows my mind for I have never experienced some of the thing she has. Deen apologized and she will get an opportunity to shine again at some point.

As for the south.  I think people get caught up in the stereotyped history of the south. You cant judge everyone by what their forefathers may or may not have believed in. If that was the case we would forever hate the Japanese or Germans.

• Member ID:  489
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  547
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  4668
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  41028
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  01/09/1963
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

My opinion is, and has always been, a word is just a word. When it's empowered by the political correct group to be MORE than just a word.....well, you have thought & mind control going and the first ammendment goes into the garbage bin.

When I was growing up, the Stars & Bars and the Swastika were just bygone symbols of defeated nations, and as such were powerless. NOW, they are banned as powerfull statements of racist beliefs. That takes discussion out of the equation and you have mindless emotion leading the charge.

"N" word? C'mon, that crap started with the OJ trial and was laugh-able then. Lots of words offend me, but nobody seems to mind. Nobody yet has been able to define the parameters of Hate crime. Leaves the door open for prosecution based on whatever the current political mood calls for, rather than law.

• Member ID:  842
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  278
  • Content Count:  3712
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  28451
  • Birthday:  05/04/1965

Well...I'm no Paula Deen fan one way or the other but I saw Matt Lauer and her today and what a peice of shit Matt Lauer is for making her cry like that...

Shes 66, grew up in the south in the 50's and told the truth....no one deserves to be treated like that.....

The world...the WHOLE world is freaking crazy...

• Member ID:  715
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943

Bottom line it's a hot potato issue. Possibly true, possibly enhanced by rumor and innuendo. The media will feed on anything that makes news with a high profile character, accurate reporting often does not matter.

Once that gets started, true or not, sponsors tend to drop the hot potato so they themselves do not get burned.

As Andre Agassi said in a commercial, "perception is reality".

The truth may never be known.

However if her recipe is good I would still use it.

Edited by Shamu

I just heard Matt Lauer ask Paula Deen:

How can anybody say that you are not a racist if you have used the "N" word before?

WHAT? If that was me sitting there I would ask that stupid fucker, HAVE YOU EVER USED THAT WORD IN YOUR LIFE?