Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Paula Deen.....what's Your Opinion?

little_old_man

• Member ID:  4888
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2020
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  26312
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/29/1962
  • Device:  Windows

I just heard Matt Lauer ask Paula Deen:

How can anybody say that you are not a racist if you have used the "N" word before?

WHAT? If that was me sitting there I would ask that stupid fucker, HAVE YOU EVER USED THAT WORD IN YOUR LIFE?

Matt Lauer sitting there interviewing Ms. Dean acts like he is soooo above everyone else when you know dam well he has used the "N" word before!!

Matt Lauer  should go lay in the yard with the other Turds

Like others have said anyone(almost) growing up in the south has used that term at some point. My grandpa used to use the term "colored folk" is that considered Racist?

Who the hell knows anymore what is politically correct or whats gonna piss someone off . . .I once heard someone say "folks will only cuss around kin and people they can trust"

"Be careful of the words you say  . .keep them soft and sweet

you never know from day to day which ones you will have to eat"

• Member ID:  715
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943

I admit to having been guilty of using the N word myself.

I would suspect many of us have yet I do not consider myself a racist. I have labled many ethnic groups simply to express anger, not racial or ethnic predjiduce.

It's is bad taste, thoughtless and insensitive I admit, but when pissed many of us have likely used harmful words without true racial or ethnic bias behind the intent.

The key word I think is "thoughtless".

• Member ID:  1588
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  904
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5532
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/25/1966

Be careful to he who casts the first stone,Ditto what Shamu said. You know though she got up and told the truth and sincerely felt bad about it probably estimating some sort of repercussion- that shows integrity- we have all said crap,whether the N word or other,not right but no reason to destroy her life over it. I think she got to powerful and someone has set out to take her down, last I heard she was as wealthy as Oprah.

Awards

• Member ID:  1989
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  826
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/06/1969

"Casual racism" is racism. It ain't gonna change by firing people. Her job is ALL about image. She's let go because she now has an image problem. It wouldn't matter what it was about. Why? 'Cause TV and all other media lives and dies by advertising revenue. If she stayed on, the Food Network would lose revenue and hurt their own image. Yep...politics and fame. Who knew?

Did she systematically HURT people? I have no idea. THAT is the only issue.

Anyone ever read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain? CHEFS CUS! Anyone who has worked in a restaurant can tell you about it. Rough environment, and cursing is normal. ALL kinds of racial slurs abound and there's much more than simple racism. There's lots of competition, abuse, and systematic unfairness. Think FOOD TV is any different? No way.

Personally, I don't think her career should be ruined 'cause she's a racist. Look at 90% of the FOX News staff. I think people are always hungry fir a scandal ..for entertainment. Sad.

She'll go on and do more. If Martha Stewart can, so can Paula. ...well, assuming she doesn't die of a heart attack first. :)

• Member ID:  3453
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  668
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  5126
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/22/1975

first u do have freedom of speech !!! not say all people use it tastefully.

second movie dajango  movie used the n word 100 times Quentin Tarantino made 100 millions off the movie no one crushed his career .

third but it all right for other race use the word .

fourth the actually meaning of the word =  person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant

so should her career be crushed ? I say NO! is it right to use the word ? again depends on how it being used and if someone gonna take offence to it . kinda like sexual harassment.

I ve mean we all probly have said the word. ive used it the other day driving when I guy cut me off. he was white . but like I said I used it as being ignorant dumb. you can go on and on arguing points but really is a word worth someone's job.

remember stick and stones can break my bone's but world will never hurt me.

yes words can hurt but come one suck it up and move on what about being a better person.no aday people out to much of a wussy and need to toughen up. im tired of here people cry about everything . my life sucks actually but I don't say shit tough it out and move on . cripes. ok I ranted enuff.

• Member ID:  3787
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1383
  • Birthday:  12/11/1965
  • Device:  iPhone

Look at it this way, the network probably saved thousands from heart attacks.

• Member ID:  1194
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

The late senator Robert Byrd democrat from West Virgina was a recruiter and high ranking officer with the KKK until the late 1950's. The "N" word was undoubtedly a big part of his vocabulary during those years, and as late as 2001 when giving a nationally televised interview.

Here is Bill Clinton at his funeral giving him a pass for his "loose" association with the KKK.

The interview with senator Robert Byrd saying the "N" word is on youtube if you're interested in hearing it, but I won't post a link to it here.

• Member ID:  34
  • Followers:  47
  • Topic Count:  182
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2097
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  14880
  • Birthday:  04/29/1966

I live in Alabama, been here for almost 18 years. Here in the last 5 years inter racial relationships are definitely more prevalant round these here parts than when i first came here. I am from Hawaii, where the locals are down on almost anybody not hawaiian, including blacks, whites, latinos, puerto ricans, chinese, japanese, philipinos, koreans, Tongans and samoans...to name a few.

Truth is she is an older white womean from teh deep south. Of course she said it. is it racist? Of course it is. Is there an excuse? Of course not. Is it uncommon?....HELL NO!!!!

I am sure in certain company it is not only tolerated, but possibly required. It is what it is, and that is certainly not to say its not an important issue, or to diminish its implications, that is more to say that certain things are heir apparent in certain instances.

I like her, i still like her. Do i care what she did or didnt say?? Not really...not enough for me to change my very small opinion in the regardds of her that actually matter to me.

I AM DA GAMECHANGER AND I DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT HER VIEWS ON JUST ABOUT ANYTHING OR ANYBODY...BUT I DO LIKE HER ANYWAYS!!!!!

Edited by billyblade

• Member ID:  434
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  58
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1289
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  12930
  • Days Won:  5

Edit:removed clip,don't want a ban hammer on my head.

Edited by Janey

• Member ID:  907
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Content Count:  2731
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  26177
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/10/1969

My opinion of Paula Deen is, honestly, I could give a fuck about her or her problems.  I don't care.  I don't care about her show.  I don't care about her. I don't care about the Food Network or what they put on it.  As far as her being ostracized for admitting having been a racist southerner in the past, so be it - I don't care about that either.  I am sick and tired of the namby pamby bullshit the media slogs out to make ratings and get something "interesting" going - well, guess what MSM, it's not interesting to this guy!

Just like I could care less of our President smoked weed in college or was in a bisexual orgy.  As long as they can get the job and they aren't going all Caligula in the White House, I don't care.

• Member ID:  174
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  129
  • Topic Count:  387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  14879
  • Content Per Day:  2.78
  • Achievement Points:  91044
  • Days Won:  52
  • Birthday:  04/23/1970

The late senator Robert Byrd democrat from West Virgina was a recruiter and high ranking officer with the KKK until the late 1950's. The "N" word was undoubtedly a big part of his vocabulary during those years, and as late as 2001 when giving a nationally televised interview.

Here is Bill Clinton at his funeral giving him a pass for his "loose" association with the KKK.

The interview with senator Robert Byrd saying the "N" word is on youtube if you're interested in hearing it, but I won't post a link to it here.

I suspect that a lot of people used that term in the 1950's regardless of their politics. Racism is racism.  I do find this to be a touch ironic. If someone comes onto our server and uses that term, we ban them period and many times there is little argument by anyone... So why the pass on Paula Deen?

That's a fair question Ter.

I've never been a fan of Paula Deen nor have I ever watched her show or read one of her books. What irks me the most about the entire situation is the character assassination of somebody who spoke truthfully when asked if she had ever used that word in her entire lifetime. You're right, we have zero tolerance for use of that word (or even variations of it) on our servers. I understand the reasoning behind that rule and happen to agree with the rule. But, can you honestly say that that two white guys playing on our server jokingly referring to each other as ni**a makes them racist? What if two black guys came in to play for a while and one referred to the other with the "N" word. Would they be racist? So far many of those who are standing with Paula are blacks. If they don't have a problem with it, why does everybody else?

Terry, I'll pose the same question to you. Have you ever said the "N" word in your entire lifetime? If so, should we consider you a racist? Do your daughters listen to hip-hop where the "N" word is used freely and without any kind of restrictions. If your daughters sing along to one of those songs are they racists? I'm not picking on you or your family Ter, just citing examples of how ridiculous this politically correct world has become. It's the same principal which applies to anybody who doesn't agree with Obama's policies is labeled racist, and anybody who isn't for gay marriage is a bigot. I find that kind of argument very weak, but it appears to be how things are done in the 21st century.

Edited by little_old_man

I can say without a doubt Steve that I have never used the term ever. I wish I some great wisdom why or that I had a noble cause to not, but I don't.  Please, don't get me wrong. I have used other terms in jest with friends to get a laugh, but somewhere deep inside I always felt uneasy about it, maybe it was guilt. As for societies desire to be political correct?  I far as Im concerned that subject has gone completely off the rails. One group complains of racism while the other complains of reverse racism. Steve, the reality is, its the extremists on both sides that a getting the attention for they are the only ones that are screaming these ridiculous remarks.

Do I think Deen is a terrible person? How do I know. She may have used those terms like many others including myself in passing so no I don't consider her a racist for that. But if she has used them frequently to incite prejudicial action against someone when she was in a position of power, like an employee, then yes, she must answer to that.

Great forum guys...

• Member ID:  59
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2109
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  15107
  • Days Won:  13

My take and I dont care what others think.  She was honest in her responses and is getting crucified for it.  Thats Fucked Up !!!!  All it relays is "Lie like a Sonofabitch" !!!!    I bet the accuser has used the same word many times !!!

I can say without a doubt Steve that I have never used the term ever. I wish I some great wisdom why or that I had a noble cause to not, but I don't.  Please, don't get me wrong. I have used other terms in jest with friends to get a laugh, but somewhere deep inside I always felt uneasy about it, maybe it was guilt. As for societies desire to be political correct?  I far as Im concerned that subject has gone completely off the rails. One group complains of racism while the other complains of reverse racism. Steve, the reality is, its the extremists on both sides that a getting the attention for they are the only ones that are screaming these ridiculous remarks.

Do I think Deen is a terrible person? How do I know. She may have used those terms like many others including myself in passing so no I don't consider her a racist for that. But if she has used them frequently to incite prejudicial action against someone when she was in a position of power, like an employee, then yes, she must answer to that.

Great forum guys...

See, this is what I don't understand. Nobody, ANYWHERE is saying that "she used the word frequently to incite prejudicial action against someone while she was in a position of power." The woman who filed the law suit against her and her brother is white, so if what she is alleging really happened, it certainly didn't happen to her.

Everybody is making assumptions and making up new stories as they go along. In a couple weeks I'm sure somebody will say she lynched blacks for fun and was a member of the KKK.

Great forum guys...

See, this is what I don't understand. Nobody, ANYWHERE is saying that "she used the word frequently to incite prejudicial action against someone while she was in a position of power." The woman who filed the law suit against her and her brother is white, so if what she is alleging really happened, it certainly didn't happen to her.

Everybody is making assumptions and making up new stories as they go along. In a couple weeks I'm sure somebody will say she lynched blacks for fun and was a member of the KKK.

lol...  Take it easy Steve...  I said "But If"... I don't know all the facts, nor am I passing judgement. She may only be guilty of poor judgement. If that's the case, the court of public opinion will answer that... Im not that invested either way..lol

• Member ID:  822
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967

The problem is she has used those terms on several different occasions which shows a pattern of complete disregard for individuals of different races. Do I agree with BB statement about freedom of speech? To a certain degree I do. Everyone is free to speak their mind but if you use your power to incite violence or prejudicial action against an individual or group, then that is considered hate speech and should pay the price for such remarks.

Paula Deen lost her job and sponsors because no one wants to be associated with an individual that condons that behavior. But the public has a short memory and at times. willing to forgive. I would bet we will see her back on the food network sometime in the future.

Terry are you getting the same news I'm getting? Where did it say anywhere that she'd used that term on several different occasions, and how did that show a pattern of disregard for other races? 

All I've seen was an accusation by a former employee of her brothers who claimed she was in the room when she said the "N" word, which Deen denies. She admitted to using the word years ago after being robbed at gunpoint by two black men. So where's the pattern?

For whatever reasons people associate only southerners with racism when nothing could be further from the truth. New York City has Harlem, and every major city in the US has neighborhoods divided by race and ethnic boundaries. I grew up in a small rural town in southern Ohio and it was very racially divided. I spent most of my junior high years running from the black kids who wanted to steal my lunch money, and by the time I was in high school and big enough to handle myself, some of those same black kids were my best friends. I'll never forget when I was about 10 and a white neighbor woman came to our door and wanted my dad to sign a petition to keep a black family from moving into our neighborhood. My dad slammed the door in her face and we never spoke to those people again.

As for the south.  I think people get caught up in the stereotyped history of the south. You cant judge everyone by what their forefathers may or may not have believed in. If that was the case we would forever hate the Japanese or Germans.

I don't think there is a connection between plain, ignorant racism and the perceptions people might have for the actions of a very specific elite of Japanese and German politicians who were in power during WWI and WWII. Lets not generalize...

Actually Joe the comparison is an excellent one. Racism against particularly the Japanese before during and after WWII was rampant in the US and Canada. The Canadian government had internment camps just like the US did. Before WWII Canada had strict limits on the number of immigrants from Japan and China, mainly because Asians were buying up and competing with local fisheries and the Canadians didn't like the competition. Asians owned over half of the fishing businesses in BC prior to WWII.

Racism comes in many forms and affects many races. It's just human nature for people of different races and ethnicities to want to live around their own kind, and for them to be distrustful of those who are different from themselves. America may be called the great melting pot, but we have always struggled to be completely diverse and accepting of people who are different than us, and we continue to be that way to this day.  I wish it wasn't that way, but it is what it is.  

• Member ID:  173
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  1392
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  9957
  • Birthday:  02/08/1962

Good god leave that poor woman alone ... everyone is guilty of some sort of poor judgment call, or said something we wish we hadn't . :coffee:

• Member ID:  489
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  547
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  4669
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  41038
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  01/09/1963

And now, Paula is "reaching out" to the Reverend Jesse Jackson. If you're from Illinois, you know EXACTLY what Jesse Jackson is. Difficult to talk about Jesse or his family w/o the bile rising into the back of your throat. 

These, THESE are the people we now cater too? Talk about rampant character assassination. Whomever Paula Deen's press agent is, better be fired. Time for her to just tell the world " Y'all Can Kiss My A$$ !" "Said what I said, Y'all don't like it, tough titty, grow up and deal with it."

As far as Wendy Williams being offended, damn. Every time I see her butt-ass ugly face show up on morning television I'm offended. There are many beautiful, intelligent, and black television anchors in the media. She certainly isn't one of them.

:sick:

Kudos to the XI Admins for allowing this topic to exist.

I have been quite surprised. An "adult" response with regard to a potentially sensitive topic. :yes

• Member ID:  842
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  278
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3712
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  28451
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  05/04/1965

I suspect that a lot of people used that term in the 1950's regardless of their politics. Racism is racism.  I do find this to be a touch ironic. If someone comes onto our server and uses that term, we ban them period and many times there is little argument by anyone... So why the pass on Paula Deen?

Because she allegedly knows better now and doesnt use the term...she only admitted that in the past she had...

So we ban because we know better and do better....if we banned anyone who has used the term in the past who'd be left??

• Member ID:  822
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967

Actually Joe the comparison is an excellent one. Racism against particularly the Japanese before during and after WWII was rampant in the US and Canada. The Canadian government had internment camps just like the US did. Before WWII Canada had strict limits on the number of immigrants from Japan and China, mainly because Asians were buying up and competing with local fisheries and the Canadians didn't like the competition. Asians owned over half of the fishing businesses in BC prior to WWII.

Racism comes in many forms and affects many races. It's just human nature for people of different races and ethnicities to want to live around their own kind, and for them to be distrustful of those who are different from themselves. America may be called the great melting pot, but we have always struggled to be completely diverse and accepting of people who are different than us, and we continue to be that way to this day.  I wish it wasn't that way, but it is what it is.  

I still think  the comparison is not valid for many reasons. Canada adopted the War Measurements Act in 1914 which allowed the government to govern by decree when it perceived the existence of "war, invasion or insurrection, real or apprehended". Canadians of German and Japanese descent ended up in jail, lost their civil rights and properties. This was, however, a temporary issue in the context of two major world wars. Their Civil rights were reinstated, in many cases they were compensated and received formal apologies from the government after the conflicts were over.  I think that although there was and element of racism here, the terms "xenophobia" and "chauvinism" better describe what really happened, al least in Canada.

Paula Deens remarks are obviously racist, however Freedom of Speech is of the fundamental rights of a free society. I am not by any means justifying what she said or why she said it, but she did not commit a crime. Racism is not by itself a crime, it becomes a crime when people start acting on it. We cannot legislate morality, but we can prosecute those who engage in practices such as racial or institutional discrimination.