Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Ram

Scrounger

• Member ID:  3495
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  604
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/27/1959

Im going to install 64 bit and im wanting to go to 8 gigs of Ram, should I go with 2 sticks of 4 gigs each or 4- 2 gig sticks? And what do you guys like as far as Brand if Ram? Thanks for your help!!

Awards

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1071
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8425
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  74829
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973
  • Device:  Android

Hi Scrounger.  If your board supports 4GB sticks then I would go with 2 sticks of 4GB then.  I have read that the performance of 2 sticks is at times better than 4.  You may not notice it much but at the same time it leaves room for more if at some point you want to add more.  As far as brand, I have been using Corsair last couple of upgrades and have been satisfied with that.  No issues.  Brand is a preference I think but just keep an eye on the latency/memory timing values.

• Member ID:  111
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  425
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  2934
  • Birthday:  07/12/1971

I have 4 - 2gb sticks but I would guess from the "heat" point of view that 2 sticks are better then 4.

• Member ID:  830
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  96
  • Achievement Points:  792
  • Birthday:  01/07/1969

Yes if you are only going to run 8 gig then use 2  sticks of 4 and make sure to put then in correct slots for dual or quad channel mode. This also leaves open to slots if you want to add 2 more matching sticks later . As I am running 16 gig in win 8 64 bit. No problems. But as previously stated to make sure board supports 4 gig per slot.

• Member ID:  906
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  143
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17061
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Achievement Points:  148392
  • Days Won:  675
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960
  • Device:  Windows

what ever your board will take .i run 4 sticks of 4  but if i could i would run 4 sticks of 8 ..and have 32 that my board will run..and g-skill ripjaw is working great for me ..but if you have a after market cooler you have to watch out how hi the heat sinks are .so it does not hit the cooler .

• Member ID:  3495
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  88
  • Achievement Points:  604
  • Birthday:  03/27/1959

Thanks Guys!!

Awards

• Member ID:  5717
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  84
  • Achievement Points:  622
  • Birthday:  08/30/1975

all good avice i 2 8 g blictic

• Member ID:  3189
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  93
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  5230
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  48729
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957

Depends on your motherboard, and you need to get the correct timing on the modules for optimum performance.  Don't just buy RAM based on price or to fill or not to fill slots.  RAM is plug and play, but unless you know what you're doing, you may end up with a situation in which your processor is waiting on RAM.  Research this topic, don't just blindly buy RAM.

Here's something to get you started:  http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314649-30-select-timing-voltage

• Member ID:  5785
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  172
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1098
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

I'm sure the difference between using 2 sticks and 4 sticks of ram is the heat issue. 4 sticks of ram will generate more heat.  Look at the mobo specs to see what ram specs it can take.  if you buy powerful sticks that your mobo couldn't handle, it's like bottleneck one way or the other.

Awards

• Member ID:  4367
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  370
  • Birthday:  08/30/1981

Im going to install 64 bit and im wanting to go to 8 gigs of Ram, should I go with 2 sticks of 4 gigs each or 4- 2 gig sticks? And what do you guys like as far as Brand if Ram? Thanks for your help!!

Hi,

It would be better if you had given your system specs (what CPU / motherboard), what you will be using your computer for, whether you are overclocking, and the memory speeds you were looking at etc. It would have been easier to help you then, as all of these things would influence your RAM purchase. I agree with djMNot. You should not blindly buy RAM.

• Member ID:  1965
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  1176
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  8599
  • Birthday:  02/11/1969

6 sticks of 2 gig 1600,64 bit  Corsair Dominator,,, wicked Ram.....had it now for four years without a hitch

Hi Scrounger.  If your board supports 4GB sticks then I would go with 2 sticks of 4GB then.  I have read that the performance of 2 sticks is at times better than 4.  You may not notice it much but at the same time it leaves room for more if at some point you want to add more.  As far as brand, I have been using Corsair last couple of upgrades and have been satisfied with that.  No issues.  Brand is a preference I think but just keep an eye on the latency/memory timing values.

plus the fact that Corsair has the lifetime guarantee for the ram as well as their power supplies,,,i used a power supply warranty once and the service was outstanding....they shipped me the new first so i wouldnt have any down time...and i sent the bad psu back in a postage paid label paid for by Corsair..so the choice is yours

plus the fact that Corsair has the lifetime guarantee for the ram as well as their power supplies,,,i used a power supply warranty once and the service was outstanding....they shipped me the new first so i wouldnt have any down time...and i sent the bad psu back in a postage paid label paid for by Corsair..so the choice is yours

The RAM has a lifetime guarantee, but I don't think that the PSU's do. More like 5 years give or take a couple of years each way depending on which power supply. Corsair are very good though. :)

The RAM has a lifetime guarantee, but I don't think that the PSU's do. More like 5 years give or take a couple of years each way depending on which power supply. Corsair are very good though. :)

yeah i had the HX1000 modular....which was two 500 on split rails....so they replaced it with the 1050 modular single rail a better psu in my opinion.....

• Member ID:  2982
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  342
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  2774

2 x 4gb will be better than 4 x 2gb if your board is using dual channel memmory. Same colour slots work together. Check your board handbook first make sure it can take it

yeah i had the HX1000 modular....which was two 500 on split rails....so they replaced it with the 1050 modular single rail a better psu in my opinion.....

Yeah, their service is very good. Most of my psu's have been Corsair. I believe that most of Corsairs range are actually made by Seasonic, who are well known for making some of the best power supplies out there.