Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Help with name training.

KingStinger!

• Member ID:  2465
  • Group:  +++ Minecraft Head Admin
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1818
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  14559
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  04/17/1972
  • Device:  Windows

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can name train this adult dog. 

This dog was seize from a crack house and i took him under my wing. He was in a sad state when he came to me. He was terrified of people and animals including other dogs. He was 15 lbs under weight, covered in cigarette burns, had a broken rib, and had 2 bald spots on the top of his head because he had an untreated ear infection so bad that the bald spots came from him shaking his head and his ears hitting the top of his head.

3 months later, after much time spent on him, he is now loving life, loves other animals including dogs. Tries to play with everyone he passes. Loves people, bald spots are gone, ear infections gone, the cigarette burns are all healed and mostly covered over with hair again. Although still about 5 lbs under weight the Veterinarian gives him a full bill of health.

He listens to commands like "sit", and "stay"  but the one problem i cant seem to teach him is his new name. I or anyone involved in the seizure of this dog have no idea what his name is so im trying hard to get him to understand his name. It makes training him difficult when he doesnt know who im talking to.

Im assuming a puppy would grow up with his name and just get it whereas this is an adult dog probably used to a particular name which nobody knows which makes it hard to give him a new name.

Ive talked to trainers and others and all ideas have fail so i thought maybe someone in this clan may have an idea for me that i could try.

Help would be appreciated.

post-2465-0-51861300-1376872664_thumb.jpgpost-2465-0-40755000-1376872695_thumb.jpgpost-2465-0-78778800-1376872779_thumb.jpg

Edited by KingStinger!

• Member ID:  1455
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  101
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4166
  • Content Per Day:  0.82
  • Achievement Points:  37577
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/25/1976

it is safe even if you try you just   A REALY BAD CANADIAN FKR :whistle: 

it is safe even if you try you just   A REALY BAD CANADIAN FKR :whistle: 

hahaha, that dont help lol

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

Kudos to you for taking that poor dog in m8, good luck in everything you do for him, there are no bad dogs just bad owners, all i can suggest is to just stick with it ie keep calling him your name of choice and just hope that one day it will stick. :clap:  :thumbsup:

• Member ID:  77
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  111
  • Topic Count:  1018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7527
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Achievement Points:  69486
  • Days Won:  47

1st it was nice that you rescued him.Maybe if you held a treat out when you call him by  his new name,you said he could use 5lbs.?

• Member ID:  4306
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  102
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  2078
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/16/1980

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can name train this adult dog. 

This dog was seize from a crack house and i took him under my wing. He was in a sad state when he came to me. He was terrified of people and animals including other dogs. He was 15 lbs under weight, covered in cigarette burns, had a broken rib, and had 2 bald spots on the top of his head because he had an untreated ear infection so bad that the bald spots came from him shaking his head and his ears hitting the top of his head.

3 months later, after much time spent on him, he is now loving life, loves other animals including dogs. Tries to play with everyone he passes. Loves people, bald spots are gone, ear infections gone, the cigarette burns are all healed and mostly covered over with hair again. Although still about 5 lbs under weight the Veterinarian gives him a full bill of health.

He listens to commands like "sit", and "stay"  but the one problem i cant seem to teach him is his new name. I or anyone involved in the seizure of this dog have no idea what his name is so im trying hard to get him to understand his name. It makes training him difficult when he doesnt know who im talking to.

Im assuming a puppy would grow up with his name and just get it whereas this is an adult dog probably used to a particular name which nobody knows which makes it hard to give him a new name.

Ive talked to trainers and others and all ideas have fail so i thought maybe someone in this clan may have an idea for me that i could try.

Help would be appreciated.

attachicon.gif2.JPGattachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif3.jpg

@@KingStinger!!  Awesome Bro you was able to save yo twin !  lol name him Crackles

• Member ID:  3572
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  7645
  • Birthday:  05/28/1975

its a wonderful thing that you have done. heres the easiest tip i can give you but you need to have some patience. i dont know if you hjave kids or a wife that also can help. i dont know the dogs name so ill just call him king.

i have 3 dogs of my own. if you like call him king and tap the side of ya leg 2 times. use bodylanguage everytime. here the fun part. every dog will do anything for some snacks. so everytime he comes when you call him you also award him with a dog candy, sausage, dried bacon. well anything really that dogs love. if you got a family you can all get involved and go to a park. one will go and hide and call the dogs name "king" and when he comes = candy.

this dont take that much time but youu need to reward him everytime in the beginning. from candy you can later go to affection,  love and pat him and tell king how good dog he was.

good luck // Rusty

• Member ID:  2048
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

weve always saved  animals from the shelter and the easiest way for us was to just find a name they react to/blurt out a bunch and see how he looks at you.id really make sure it wasnt the same name especialy because the dog was mistreated and its starting a new life now with someone that cares.im wary of those dogs so gl and be careful

• Member ID:  715
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943

I do not know much about name training other that repeatability with a small reward.

What I do know is that I admire you for caring and taking time to give this dog a better life.

You are to be commended.

In fact you should get some kind of medal to add to your collection for something like community service.

iw made a dog owner medal...perhaps about time to take a talk with rugger

• Member ID:  3661
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  700
  • Birthday:  05/31/1972

Take a hotdog and spit in quarters long ways then into small pieces.  Take the dog to where it is just you and him.  Then when he isn't looking your direction say his name.  Each time he makes eye contact after you say his name, give him a piece of hotdog.  All my dogs purebred and strays have always learned their name within one session.  Congratulations and kudos for blessing this dog with the love and safety he deserves.  :)

• Member ID:  46
  • Followers:  104
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4316
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Achievement Points:  34774
  • Days Won:  11

That would be my advice is reward him every time you call him by the name you have given him.  And the commands he does respond to, say him name then also and reward him.  Just take some patience and time and before you know, he will be the best dog ever. :)  Give lots of love...poor guy got off to a bad start and no animal deserves that.  

**I guess now I have to take back all the mean things Ive said about you.. ;)  Nice of you to show that dog a different life.  

ok lol it seems that we all agree that rewarding him with saom candy everytime he comes to you. but i think its really important that you use bodylanguage as tapping on you hip or something.

i wish you the best i have been working with dogs since i always have had atleast 2 dogs. once i had 5 rotweilers :D

• Member ID:  3750
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  172
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1346
  • Birthday:  05/14/1972

Light a crack pipe. Smoke it then he will tell you his name.

• Member ID:  5785
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Achievement Points:  1098
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

Here is a name from a movie I watched years ago played by Richard Gere. Call him Hachi (short for Hachiko).

Awards

Thanks gang, those are some great ideas. I guess ive have all along tried these things but if ive learned one thing from your comments it would be that I probably havent been consistent with the the rewarding for response. 

I guess i better buy pants with bigger pockets to carry more treats  :cry:

Im sure i can get him there with all your ideas, im amazed at how far this dog has come so far. From looking like he was at deaths door to and terrified if anyone moved to fast around him to happy go lucky and realizing he has a better life from the one he started out with. 

Oh and my kids named him Thurston. Black with a white bow tie like Thurston the butler. Im not to thrilled with the name myself but the kids are happy, thats what matter.

weve always saved  animals from the shelter and the easiest way for us was to just find a name they react to/blurt out a bunch and see how he looks at you.id really make sure it wasnt the same name especialy because the dog was mistreated and its starting a new life now with someone that cares.im wary of those dogs so gl and be careful

I hear what youre saying Damage. I do keep a little extra cautious watch over him especially with my kids just because of the breed. I am a firm believer that it is never the breeds fault but always the fault of the trainer. And since he has approximately 2 years of life before i got to know him, i dont know what he was trained/raised to be like but so far he has displayed nothing but a caring and loving temperment toward my kids (whom are teens) and others and I have yet to see any sign of aggression.. 

I hear what youre saying Damage. I do keep a little extra cautious watch over him especially with my kids just because of the breed. I am a firm believer that it is never the breeds fault but always the fault of the trainer. And since he has approximately 2 years of life before i got to know him, i dont know what he was trained/raised to be like but so far he has displayed nothing but a caring and loving temperment toward my kids (whom are teens) and others and I have yet to see any sign of aggression.. 

il give this 2 weeks to a maximum of one month and he will come when you call him.

• Member ID:  5785
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Achievement Points:  1098
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970