Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Win 8/8.1

Sammy

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.09
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008
  • Device:  Windows

Within the next couple weeks I will be moving on from XP. So looking at Windows 7 and 8. The more I read the more I dont like Windows 8 but I have never used it. Is there really much of difference between the two except for Metro and some different goodies here and there?

• Member ID:  4367
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  370
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/30/1981
  • Device:  Android

No, not really. Go with 8 though, it uses less resources and has much better support for SSD's if you have or are going to get one in the future. Most of the haters are just complaining about the Metro part which you don't even need to use. Think of it as Windows 7, but using less resources (E.g. RAM etc). Some people also complain that there is no start button. This can be overcome by downloading some third party software. Not an ideal solution but it works flawlessly. The start button may even be a non issue on Windows 8.1 release....not sure as there have been different reports suggesting that there will / won't be a start button. With Windows 8.1 there will be an option to boot straight to desktop, so you won't even have to look at Metro ever again if you don't want to (Most of the third party software for the start menu already offer this option anyway).

It's up to you at the end of the day, but both Windows 7 and 8 are good. You can't really go wrong with either if you prefer to use Windows OS. Some people just like to moan about things, and look back on older OS with rose tinted glasses. For example, dealing with drivers was a nightmare with Windows XP. Windows 7 and 8 make life a lot easier regarding drivers as they automatically find many of them. Windows XP was good on resources, but many people are comparing it to Vista when they say this. Vista was well known to be a fucking travesty. :D

Anyway, rant over. Enjoy whichever you decide to go with.

• Member ID:  2069
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  214
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2411
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  18298
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  08/08/1966

Win 8 uses memory and resources much better than win 7, plus it adds a crazy amount of enhancements. If you want the Win 7 experience (boot to desktop, Start Menu), and a much-refined under-the-hood OS, download and install "Classic Shell" http://www.classicshell.net/. I use it on my laptop and will soon migrate my desktop to it. There's no reason not to. Classic Shell will lessen the need to see the Metro/Modern interface, but even that interface is more of a feature enhanced Start menu.

I assume that means everything under the hood, so to speak, runs the same or better than win 7. Also no compatibility problems? If the UI itself wasnt the tablet stuff it would basically be the usual desktop OS? From what I see the start button button is only that. There is no start menu. So Start8 or one like it would be needed. I do have some privacy concerns with 8 since that is one of the bugaboos of mine. I assume all that can be shut off if desired but I am always on the look out for gotchas that turn up later.

• Member ID:  2759
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  199
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3496
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Achievement Points:  26464
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/27/1990

don't go 8... choose 7, it's the lesser of the two evils.

• Member ID:  1270
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  149
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3860
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  34133
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  04/12/1969

7 ...

8 is BS.... no suport for second disk Hdd....(sata) ,call of duty  problems,,  nvidia driver problem, Thursday i installed win8...and Friday  uninstalled...and i installed  win 7 64 *      8 big BS

There is support for multiple hard drives but it looks like MS wants you to do things their way with storage spaces. I dont know enough how that works. From what I read it works the normal way as well but might require the mb drivers added for raid I think.

• Member ID:  4367
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  370
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/30/1981
  • Device:  Android

You are right, there is support for multiple hard drives. You don't have to use storage spaces at all. It's just there to give users another option. Raid works in the same way as it did on Windows 7. Install the raid drivers on installation of the OS.

As for Nvidia driver problems, I can say that I haven't had any problems whatsoever. The only time that I can remember having a problem with graphics drivers in my life is when they haven't been uninstalled properly, or when I've bought a new GPU on release day and the drivers aren't up to scratch yet.

Regarding the Call of Duty problems Google mentioned, I can't comment as I don't play it. I have had no problems with any games myself.

Yes if their were none of the tablet UI stuff it would be the usual desktop OS. You can also shut off the things that would concern you regarding privacy (E.g. sharing, apps using your location etc).

Google, maybe if you had taken more than a day to use the OS, you would have found that it is not all that bad. You may have also worked out the problems you were having with a little time, patience and research. You know what they say......Google it. :D

There is support for multiple hard drives but it looks like MS wants you to do things their way with storage spaces. I dont know enough how that works. From what I read it works the normal way as well but might require the mb drivers added for raid I think.There