Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

• Member ID:  20528
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  285
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/11/1992

What do you guys think its better for gaming? Gaming Headsets or Audiophile Headphones? Sound card or Motherboard sound?

I personally prefer Audiophile Headphones(See explanation after links) with a normal mic, over "standard" Gaming Headsets, now that said, I'm gonna link what I'm gonna buy soon.

- Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Tesla-Audiophile-High-Headphone/dp/B00890YNBK

- Mic: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

- Sound Card: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Gaming-Control-SB1510/dp/B00AQ5PK6I

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Explanation why I think Headphones are better then MOST Gaming Headsets.

Pros:

1. Better sound quality.

2. Better pinpoint accuracy for games obv.

3. Huge soundstage for open headphones.

Cons:

1. Leaks sound for being open (might wake ppl).

2. You need a sound card or an AMP/DAC combo, for it to drive them to full potencial.

3. Price obv.

Edited by SpikeQt

• Member ID:  691
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  292
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  2273
  • Birthday:  02/27/1953
  • Device:  Windows

Nice headphone but ya a little price ie , for me , i just got bose speeker systm with cheep mic, got tired of wearing headphones ,, but i like the sound card have been looking at them for a while ,,,,  :zorro:  :stuart: 

• Member ID:  20925
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  121
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  766
  • Birthday:  08/30/1980

If your going to spend money like that on a good set of headphones I would recommend going with a brand like Bower & wilkins or mcintosh. They are 2 high end brand names. They make great sound room and theater products. I have seen a nice set of tower speakers go from $1000 to $50,000 just for 1 single speaker. If anything you should have a chat with my brother sometime when he is on TS his name is Recoil or in the server as recoilwrex. He is an Headphones Expert, And has a very big passion for them. He could give you some good info on just bout any type of headphone.

I agree with you on the price Reddog, but I personally can't have speakers because I live in a flat/apartment.

Nice Pheonixx :D, wish i had 50k $ to buy 1 speaker , jk I would buy anything but 1 speaker with that kind of money lol. If I had more money to spend I'd probably get Sennheiser HD800 with a Beyerdynamic Headzone Base Station H1, but don't have that kind of money to spend on those.

Speaking about speakers, not into them to be honest, they are great dont get me wrong, but I lack the space to place them around the room, and the neighbours would kill me probably.

Going back to headpones, I'm looking for balanced headphones, natural flat sound, wanted to get Audio Technica AD900x/AD1000x, but I dont like the "headband" and the fact that they were low impedence 38/40 ohms too low for my liking, ofc this is my opinion :D. There's a lot of headphones to choose from but not enough money to test all of them.

-Edit-

Searched a little on the headphones at bowers & wilkins, they look nice, very nice, but I dont really know about the sound, looking at the technical specs frequency range its not that great compared to other headphones at same price or lower.

Edited by SpikeQt

• Member ID:  20681
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  27
  • Achievement Points:  192

I loved my Seinnheiser PC350's - but they've got a bad reputation for the mic's failing (as it did on my pair after a year).

Awards

• Member ID:  20902
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1279
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  9614
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

These are my favorite headphones and they have about as good sound quality as those like 4-5x more expensive

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399204575&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+mvr+600

• Member ID:  1106
  • Followers:  33
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  6778
  • Birthday:  06/24/1975

I went through this not long ago Spike.  I ended up going on the G35 as I seemed to get too much echo using speakers and a mic.  Then I started looking at headphones vs. gaming headsets and comparing from there...

I liked these http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399212993&sr=1-6&keywords=headphones

but ended up going for the G35 headset since the mic was attached and they were quite a bit cheaper than the Audio's.  

Ultimately, it's what you feel is the best.  I've never had an additional sound card but have thought about it.  Just not sure how much difference it would make so I've never gone down that road.  If you do, let us all know how much of a difference it makes!

Flushy

@@mouselad, those are nice, sony has always been using quality materials in their stuff. Everything they do its build to last not like shit companies do nowdays. I've researched on some huge headphones by them, but I dont really like the looks of them XD.

@Flush, I've got the G35 atm, and they are driving me nuts to be honest, everytime I enable the microphone I hear white noise if I'm above 40% volume, but thats due to the white noise produced by the motherboard. Still after 1.5-2years of using g35 the ear pads falls apart, atleast in my case.

Why I got the g35 in the first place its convenience of having a mic, but most mics on gaming headsets are sh*t, lets be honest, there are gaming headsets ie Astro A40/A50 and the mic its shit for the price you pay... , I'd understand if it were like 50-100$ less, because thats probably what they charge for the mic, there are some exception tho, not all of them are that overpriced but most(95%) of them are.

And I'll explain as I will try out the soundcard when I get it, if it makes a huge diff or not :D.

Edited by SpikeQt

• Member ID:  3113
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1228
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  9622
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/15/1980

Do any of you have a separate sound board?  I guess once they started making onboard sound High Def, 7.1 I figured sound cards were a thing of the past.  Do they actually make that much of a difference?

Do any of you have a separate sound board?  I guess once they started making onboard sound High Def, 7.1 I figured sound cards were a thing of the past.  Do they actually make that much of a difference?

DUDE its all about Soundblaster pro.

but in all seriousness the only people i know who use actual soundcards are people who work in audio.

Edited by mouselad

• Member ID:  20914
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  38
  • Achievement Points:  246
  • Birthday:  01/01/1969

Lol Soundblaster...

I haven't used anything besides onboard audio for years and the only reason to is as noted above, for audio work and/or you're an audiophile.

MY GIRLFRIEND bought me a Logitech G930 and besides the standard wireless complaints with having to charge it and such it works p dang well. When I'm playing I can't hear a thing she says. It gets me in trouble a lot. :D

• Member ID:  20854
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  53
  • Achievement Points:  384

Yeah, I agree with mouse.  Having a nice sound card is mostly important if you're recording and/or you want to connect to an external interface with 1/4", MIDI or balanced ports.  

That being said, it couldn't hurt your experience, particularly if you're planning to invest more than 300 bucks in a pair of headphones or monitors.

• Member ID:  20914
  • Content Count:  38
  • Achievement Points:  246
  • Birthday:  01/01/1969

@@Freefry Freeburg

You need this...

2976649.jpg?1398736727

• Member ID:  20726
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  465

I used to use AKG k701s for the longest time and had a cheap $25 logictech over the ear headset/mic combo around my neck. I did that for a good couple of years before the cable finally got ripped out on my 701s.

If you're going to use the Beyers and that ZxR combo, you don't need the zalman mic.

The Audio Controller has a mic built in, and their codec has a built in directional microphone, so it's only going to pick up what's in it's range. 

As for the amp, there are some good inexpensive options. I used a CMOY headphone amp for a while, but that video card should be able to power the Beyers. I know my onboard powered my 701s just fine, so a dedicated audio card shouldn't have any problem.

I agree with what ppl says that Soundcards aren't so "hyped" as it was before, but still if you want to drive 250ohms headphones or more, you need something that can drive them optimally, amp/dac/soundcard, soundcards nowdays are made(more or less) for gaming, there are soundcards made for pure music/audio work tho. I could get an amp and a dac but I can't use 7.1/5.1 using amp/dac combo, thats the only thing that got me wanting a soundcard. Just in case someone says, get a 5.1/7.1 true headset, pls no, I've had a tritton something, worst thing I've personally ever tried.

@@Sicarius23, I've read a lot of good stuff about the AKG k701 and q701 (basically the same, just newer version and some new features). I know that the ZxR got a mic integrated in the volume thingy (best word to describe something you dont know hows called), but idk how will it perform, tho if I dont like how that mic works, I'm gonna buy a zalman mic (or something better idk).

@@OddJob001, me personally I didn't have any soundcards, some say its a good choice and some say its not (buying a soundcard that is), personally I think there will be a difference, maybe not "OMG I HAS WALLHAX GOTTA PWN SOME NQQBS", but enough to make you hear stuff that you otherwise you wouldn't, maybe its not mainly the soundcard but the headphones, but you need something that can power the headphones, and 250ohms using onboard sound idk what to say.

@@hypn0t1k, wouldn't call myself an audiophile, I like music as any person would, probably more than other ppl in that aspect but definitely not an audiophile. Also I want that shirt lol.

@@Freefry Freeburg, @@mouselad, depends on what kind of card tho, I understand your point.

<3 the feedback. 

Edited by SpikeQt

I have plans to replace my current Plantronics 870 thing with the q701, and an AT2020 with a boom mic. 

If you're set on what you want to buy, try it with just the soundblaster mic and the headphones and see if it's good for you, that way you can have the zalman as a backup incase anything happens.

wish i could buy an at2020 , here its kinda fkin expensive compared to US prices, about 220 euro

Edited by SpikeQt

For the 2020+ or the regular 2020?

• Member ID:  20907
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  111
  • Birthday:  09/30/1982

I was on a tight budget so i got the superlux hd681 evo headphones and a z1 mic.

For the price the headphones are pretty damn good and comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BWUHHYE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1399375353&sr=1-2π=SY200_QL40

For the 2020+ or the regular 2020?

For the regular 2020 usb , not xlr, xlr its 90euro I dont fking know why tho.

• Member ID:  21037
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1007
  • Birthday:  07/28/1995

For the past few years I've used my Turtle Beach PX21's, they're pretty nice, especially with the DSS 5.1/7.1 surround box thingy. It's still great without the DSS though. The mic is amazing, the quality is pretty much studio like. The only bad parts are that my ears hurt from the ear cuffs because the cuffs are too small for my ears, and that if you have the bass up too high, the sound begins to bug out and crackle. But for when you need to listen in on shit, by fucking god, these are some amazing headphones. They have saved me from getting my dick chopped off by some knife happy scrub. They're pretty expensive due to the DSS, but it's well worth it, I'm probably going to buy another pair during this year's Black Friday sale just in case this one will wear out. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879459003

I also have the PX3 wireless headset. It's good in it's own way, but I find its lack of bass disturbing. the headset isn't even that great because the battery is shit (10 hours? let me tell you why that's bullshit) I went through 4 pairs all with batteries that lasted maybe 3-4 hours fully charged, and that the presets are just fucking terrible. Even the ones you can find and download are shit. I normally switch to my PX3's when I go take a leak (don't worry, I mute my mic unless you want to hear it c;) and don't want to be left out of a conversation or if I want to be notified of the next round starting. The mic is the same as the PX21's, it has that adjustable long boom mic.

For the regular 2020 usb , not xlr, xlr its 90euro I dont fking know why tho.

That's some bullshit. 

I think the XLR version is cheaper here, too.

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

• Member ID:  20780
  • Content Count:  91
  • Achievement Points:  536

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset. I thought this was good deal so i figured i'd post it in case folks are looking for a new set.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=7267492&SID=9982baf0c0b84013ab577ab29a1d8fa1&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&item=N82E16826104399&cm_sp=

Sennheiser PC 350 Special Edition High Performance Gaming Headset

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O510Y8/ref=asc_df_B008O510Y83359492?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-523-77-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B008O510Y8

Edited by MILESHIGH