Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

BooBoo... Goose hunting in PEI

• Member ID:  433
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2325
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Achievement Points:  23984
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  35
  • Birthday:  05/28/1957
  • Device:  Macintosh

BooBoo had a great week hunting geese in the Canadian province of PEI. Our group got 30 birds for the week. BooBoo retrieved birds everyday we had her in the field. Early in the week the birds were smaller which made it easier for BooBoo to retrieve her first geese ever. Later in the week she had a chance at some 8-10 pound birds... she had quit a wrestling match with several big birds. I love this little dog!

Weed

544ad6e3d1afe_SAM_1069.jpg

• Member ID:  1194
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

I have to admit I've never seen a lab retrieve a goose before other than a snow goose. Did she have to drag it by the neck or could she actually carry it?

I have a 48 pound yellow lab I am thinking about getting trained. She's small and compact but has the strongest retriever drive I've ever seen in a lab. I hate to waste it on tennis balls.

• Member ID:  1455
  • Followers:  101
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4166
  • Content Per Day:  0.82
  • Achievement Points:  37577
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/25/1976

• Member ID:  677
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1457
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Achievement Points:  9890
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  02/20/1986
  • Device:  Windows

What did you do to train you lab? I have a golden that is giving me trouble in training. She wont fetch a fallen bird/ball unless she sees me throw it. she will watch it fall if someone she doesnt see throws it but wont fetch

• Member ID:  842
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  278
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3712
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  28451
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  05/04/1965

Nice geese....nothing better than a good dog you trained...wtg...!!

I was on a guided snow goose hunt one time where the guides dog was awesome at bringing everything shot back to the blind....never came back empty....well one round shewas gone for a longtime and when she brought the bird back, no shit, th guide took off his glove and put his finger up the gooses ass...we were like wtf???? He goes, just wanted to see if it was warm...we couldnt find a few the other day....lol...at linch time he ate a sandwhich no gloves on.....whew...

Gotta love goose hunting!!

• Member ID:  2978
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1656
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  26102
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/23/1970

Awesome Weed..Boo is coming along great!  and she is still young... :clap:  :thumbsup:

• Member ID:  87
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3789
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  27249
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  04/02/1871

those look like they need some gravy and mashed potatoes to go along with them mmmmm

Thanks folks for the comments.

I've owned a lot of hunting dogs mostly English pointers. The best way to start if you are serious about hunting is to purchase the correct blood line. I look at bloodlines with lots of drive... you can take some drive out but you can never , never put drive in a dog who does not have it.

I train all my dogs myself. Clubs always help and it is always great to have training groups. Training in a group you always pick up ideas from each other.

BooBoo is 62 pounds she has no trouble picking up and carrying a 7 pound goose. She did have trouble with the 8-10 pounder's. One of the geese in the photo is 9 pounds 14 oz. Seeing this is the 1st year she has worked geese she will have to learn to pick up the BIG geese by the neck.

@ Little old man I know a fellow with a great 48 pound dog she retrieves likely 4-5 HUNDRED ducks and geese every year. She has to DRAG geese backwards. Wild Rose kennels is one of Americas greatest kennels producing English style labs (BooBoo is not) all the brood bitches in this kennel are 47-52 pounds. here is a link http://uklabs.com/   If your dog has the drive go for it. Drive is the single biggest attribute a dog MUST have. 

Fireurza Is your dog a golden retriever or a yellow lab? How old is she? If she is refusing you may have to FORCE FETCH her. Force fetch is not easy and you should never loose your temper while doing it. Force fetch is not for everyone, you must really be able to read the dog. This may take a month of working every day 2-3 times per day.

Edited by WeednFeed

• Member ID:  677
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1457
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Achievement Points:  9890
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  02/20/1986

Thanks folks for the comments.

I've owned a lot of hunting dogs mostly English pointers. The best way to start if you are serious about hunting is to purchase the correct blood line. I look at bloodlines with lots of drive... you can take some drive out but you can never , never put drive in a dog who does not have it.

I train all my dogs myself. Clubs always help and it is always great to have training groups. Training in a group you always pick up ideas from each other.

BooBoo is 62 pounds she has no trouble picking up and carrying a 7 pound goose. She did have trouble with the 8-10 pounder's. One of the geese in the photo is 9 pounds 14 oz. Seeing this is the 1st year she has worked geese she will have to learn to pick up the BIG geese by the neck.

@ Little old man I know a fellow with a great 48 pound dog she retrieves likely 4-5 HUNDRED ducks and geese every year. She has to DRAG geese backwards. Wild Rose kennels is one of Americas greatest kennels producing English style labs (BooBoo is not) all the brood bitches in this kennel are 47-52 pounds. here is a link http://uklabs.com/   If your dog has the drive go for it. Drive is the single biggest attribute a dog MUST have. 

Fireurza Is your dog a golden retriever or a yellow lab? How old is she? If she is refusing you may have to FORCE FETCH her. Force fetch is not easy and you should never loose your temper while doing it. Force fetch is not for everyone, you must really be able to read the dog. This may take a month of working every day 2-3 times per day.

I dont lose my temper with her. I do the fetch with her as i said above and after a few time if she doesnt retrieve i do other types of training like teaching her whistle commands

• Member ID:  452
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  452
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/07/1965

Very nice Weed

Awards

I dont lose my temper with her. I do the fetch with her as i said above and after a few time if she doesnt retrieve i do other types of training like teaching her whistle commands

You will be able to find many, many great videos on you tube about retriever training. It is a great source to use and what may not work for you and your dog another video could contain a different method which will work for the both of you.

Try looking for a retriever club in your area many times they have training days and welcome new members to help each other training. These clubs are a great source of knowledge and experience. There will be many opinions and methods just see what works for the both of you.

Good Luck

Weed

• Member ID:  2617
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  911
  • Days Won:  0