Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Open Warfare 2 beta 4

Sammy

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.09
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008
  • Device:  Windows

That is what I was thinking. Offhand I dont see any conflicts but still looking.

Funny reading about last stand or second chance around the net. If used properly among a team it can certainly be very helpful. But of course there are those that hate it. More properly, they hate it when the enemies have it.  Or if they insist on 'realism' in an arcade game. As tho soldiers instantly die when shot in the foot with a pistol shot 1/2 way across the map. Same arguments about Juggernaut. Or bunny hoppers... as much as I hate them.

There is a reasonable argument about two players constantly reviving each other but might do something like allow a player to be revived only a few times. Just to prevent exploitation. Also, being killed off with a Venom round or a headshot is instant death. As always, my opinion is to not take away or cripple things because some dont like them but offer ways to counter them.

Opinions?

• Member ID:  2702
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1057
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  8385
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/26/1978
  • Device:  Android

@@Milky Maybe it wasn't you then. It was definitely someone and not just the voices in my head.

K ladies and gents.

Uploaded next round of hot fixes to take care of some bugs. Played a couple maps and didnt notice any problems but they were fairly small matches. Will be checking back tomorrow for issues and to see how things are going. Things that should be taken care of:

Explosive crossbow and care packages not working.

Sam turret looking for the wrong tag on the uav model.

air support on equestriana.  Should be ok but pretty low because of the low map ceiling.

incorrect dead-alive team counts in some circumstances.

A few needed exceptions for when players rage quit or suddenly are no longer there that caused errors.

melee reroll and secure for care packages should have more tolerance.

post streak spawn protection is 5 seconds.

Thus far only one error in the console log. Which is good. Looks like someone shot down, or tried to, a cuav and it tried to play the smoke fx. Which is the same smoke fx that heli's use. Except that map didnt have heli support so the fx didnt load. Always gotta look out for little things like that.

• Member ID:  79
  • Followers:  222
  • Topic Count:  227
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3395
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Achievement Points:  29761
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  06/29/1977
  • Device:  iPhone

I have issues with shooting i use the saritch and it is not killing, for me this is true softcore, i am unable to kill enemies with only 2 shots and that goes for everybody that i encounter. Could you put it back to hardcore please?

The saritch reflex ads animation, if that is what you are using, is off. Fixed in beta 6.

Small update to the smartbomb. To help a little with targeting when you pick your location it will scan for enemies within a small radius around the locator. A little bigger than the locator itself. If there is an enemy that is out in the open then the locator target position will be adjusted to his location. There is still the delay, as in all airstrikes, between the selection and when the bomb is dropped. If there are no valid enemies in the area, or they obstructed, the bomb will drop on the original locator position.

So, if that streak is underway it would be best to not stand still out in the open with a target on your back.

• Member ID:  2206
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1021
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/29/1991

Can't we make flakjacket an equipment item in stead of perk. So that those of us that do not need a noobtube, can pick something against the 100.000.000 explosions without having to surrender a perk? Just saying.

Awards

• Member ID:  20343
  • Followers:  88
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Content Count:  3380
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  30022
  • Birthday:  07/01/1983
  • Device:  Macintosh

Can't we make flakjacket an equipment item in stead of perk. So that those of us that do not need a noobtube, can pick something against the 100.000.000 explosions without having to surrender a perk? Just saying.

No, from now on whomever tubes Bas gets a cookie.

No, from now on whomever tubes Bas gets a cookie.

Hell, you'll get a cookie if you add a cool bind to that statement :P

Awards

Get an rpg or a smaw to shoot down air support or destroy sentryguns. Choose EMP as your tac nade and get 3X specials to help your team out and thaw them.  In any case I am looking into the possibility of some kind of placeable jamming device. Just one tho not two. Among other things it would work against the cars and slow them to a crawl when in range. So you can get that instead of tubes if you want.

Funny tho, I move all that to its own loadout option to free up perk 1 but its still not good enough.

In case you guys haven't caught on to it, Sammy has added all these things to make the game more tactical. Introducing new perks to add some new dynamics while the core of the game stays true to the original game. Think of it as a new game... 

Also the crossbow is there if you dont want explosives. Or, choose one of the assault/specops special weapons available that give you reflex+silencer but no inventory. There are different options and nobody is forcing anybody to get tubes.

• Member ID:  2820
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  333
  • Birthday:  08/02/1977

Get real Boom Boom, it's not true to the core game...and it's not tactical. No offence here Sammy but it has drifted far from the original game and maybe without you even noticing it. Sometimes we just start doing things and think "Hey this is cool I'll add it!" and never really stop to think if it's what we really need. I know you've put lots of hard work into this but in a post you made on another thread you said you wanted to keep it balanced for all styles of play. With that in mind I'd like to point out a few things.

Perk 1 and Weapons

In the original COD4 while some of the weapon choices were a bit unbalanced inside the different classes the classes themselves were fairly balanced.

You had your basic rifle. 3 full auto, 2 semi auto and 1 three round burst. you could put a silencer, acog, reflex, or 203 (tube) on it.  If you wanted a tube you gave up perk one (That means you get no bomb squad or extra ammo, or other explosives). your speed was average as was the noise you made.

You had the smg class. Silencer, acog, or reflex. You didn't get an option for a tube your speed was faster than the base assault class, you made far less noise (almost none with dead silence), and you could run just a little bit further.

you had your LMG and shotty class (well they were 2 classes really) no tubes or silencer but you could get a grip to improve your accuracy (but again at the cost of perk 1) or you could put an acog or reflex on a LMG or a reflex on a shotty. Noise was more than the assault class, speed was just a bit slower, and distance just a bit less.

Finally you had a sniper. Only attachment was an acog, no way to get a tube. speed, noise, and distance was all about the same as an assault class.

The Idea here was that if you were playing something other than the base class (assault) your weapon or speed and silence gave you an advantage over the assault rifle so you didn't get to use a tube. If you wanted other explosives you couldn't guard against them. If you wanted more ammo you had to give up explosives or bomb squad. It kept it balanced.

Perk 2/3

If you wanted to do more damage with your gun (Stopping power) you couldn't protect against it (Juggernaut), reload quicker, be invisible to radar, have explosives do more damage, or be a little lame and have 2 primary weapons. Again Balanced. And if you look at perk 3 choices you will again see how there is a choice for all the styles of play. Steady Aim for the run and gunners, Dead Silence for the sneaky ones, Extreme conditioning for the running bunnies, Last Stand and Marty for the extremely gay.

Where is the balance for the inventory. I don't want explosives or more weapons. Give me flak jackets or Kevlar vests in inventory. Give me a choice for light weight in inventory. give me extended mags without reflex. Or something that will balance it out for all the styles of play. Myself I think you should give up Perk 1 for inventory if you want explosives or a shiny crossbow.

I think if you really look at the current mod your giving us you will see it's rather geared for people who wall spam with LMGs after they have launched there semi auto tube (that now any class can have) or thrown their 3 blind frags at the start of the map. They use armor piercing rounds or even worse Venom (I've still been killed by wall spam with this... the Idea that a fast acting poison or toxin would survive the firing process is a bit far fetched... but that it would survive going through brick walls and still be present in enough volume to kill someone in a matter of 10-15 seconds is even worse)

Now if you want to be Silent you can't see enemy equipment (Dead silence and hacker are in the same class...Hacker belongs in perk 1... its bomb squad and if you want explosives or gay ass ammo you shouldn't get hacker).

I think the balance between classes is gone.

However I think, as always, if you just made it so that friendly fire couldn't be turned off that would fix a lot of problems. You would just have all the Tube toting, LMG loving, P90 Packing, Wall spamming, Pre-firing  pussies yelling at you then! :lol:

Hmmm, long post. 'Balanced' is in the eye of the beholder. Depending on what items are in the game. Things can be added but there must always be counter measures available if players want them. Flak jackets for explosives. SAM's for air support. Stealth for sentryguns. And so on.

I will just say this: One of the few arguments about cod4 was that it was too stale after awhile and there wasnt enough pure chaos in an action game.  Some like the adrenaline rush. Others prefer the calmness of sniper games. Keep in mind there are a few things on this server that are disabled. Like class-based speed modifiers. Everyone runs around like they are specops players.

Just so you know, Last Stand is coming back but with alterations. No shooting back while falling+invincible. Venom rounds and headshots kill always. Medics can revive players in LS a limited number of times.  Currently 2 or 3. On the 4th you are dead. No LS. In cod4 it didnt have a counter. Which is why it was lame. This time it will. Marty didnt have a real counter either except juggy. In later games whichever perk allowed players to reset fuses so they could pick it up and throw it away without fear of being blown to bits. Unfortunately I have found no way to do that here so that is one perk that stays out.

• Member ID:  2820
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  333
  • Birthday:  08/02/1977

I'm all for Chaos...Bring on the friendly fire!!!!

Is there any chance that inventory could disable perk 1. Could Hacker be put back in perk 1. In the first cod4 we had bomb squad (hacker in mw2) in perk 1 set. UAV Jammer (Stealth in mw2) in perk 2 set. Dead Silence in perk set 3. Now I have to decide if I want Hacker or Dead Silence. I realize some people don't care to play with style or precision. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to but if your going to add something like inventory with all the explosives and not remove a perk for them as has been done in every other mod to this point then what is the advantage you put in for players who want stealthy play. I'd love to use it. I bet it's awesome. Something on par with poison bullets and getting a semi auto tube that I don't have to reload before I fire a second shot to go with my LMG. Where did you hide the cloaking device...WHERE!!!!

On a different note... Where's the love for the Shotty... would it be to hard to put a 15-20 round barrel clip in for it somewhere?

In closing just let me say that if people want Chaos and the adrenaline rush then why have friendly fire off...nothing beats dodging your buddies bullets and frags.

As far as "Balance being in the eye of the beholder" are you saying that every other version was unbalanced because you had to chose between hacker (bomb squad) or explosives?

Also just so you know my wife loves this mod...she doesn't play... but my honey do list get's done a lot sooner now.

Edited by htobyC

Get an rpg or a smaw to shoot down air support or destroy sentryguns. Choose EMP as your tac nade and get 3X specials to help your team out and thaw them.  In any case I am looking into the possibility of some kind of placeable jamming device. Just one tho not two. Among other things it would work against the cars and slow them to a crawl when in range. So you can get that instead of tubes if you want.

Funny tho, I move all that to its own loadout option to free up perk 1 but its still not good enough.

Well that would defenitly increase the playability for me, it would be a localized solution. 

I think my real problem with everyone having equipment for explosions, is that now the main 3 perks for stealth & survivability against random shit, are all on perk 3. You speak about balance a lot, well I'd have to agree with Toby. The stealth, survivable playstyle has been totally taken out of the game. You'd need a flak jacket (since everyone has tubes), hardwired (since there are 1.000.000 cars per map), and stealth (because helicopters pretty much destroy everything on the ground from the moment they are called in). All 3 those perks are on perk 3. In other words, the game seems unbalanced to me, made with more thought towards people who like the random shit. I don't mean to offend you, and I know that these new MOD's are the only reason COD4 can still be played, even so long after its time. And for that, and all the work that takes, I am very gratefull. But me being gratefull does not equal me agreeing with every choise, and with this MOD, the tactical aspect that I liked so much about freezetag, has gotten less. And putting flackjacket on equipment, would (in my mind, at the least) balance out for making tubes so much more used. 

Edited by Bas

Awards

• Member ID:  21113
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1320

Sammy I want to thank you for all the work you put into making the game enjoyable.  I have learned more about the game in the last 10 minutes of reading your posts than I had in the last year of playing.  if only my new found knowledge could make me a killing machine.  if not, the world needs people to melt as well

I am looking into how to make it useful for other things but it will have a throwable jamming device as part of inventory. It will slow cars to a crawl.  The jammer remains for the life of the player. I would like it to do something more than just jam player/equipment but not sure what yet. A motion sensor type of thing would be cool but its not possible with the game engine. Unless it was some kind of text or sound notification that an enemy is near your jammer. But no hud elements like red dots or the hacker thing of showing through walls.

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5080
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Achievement Points:  44606
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

@Sammy  !FU for fixing the Mini Nuke 

lol JK

Is it completely random what you get out of care packages? Seriously I get alot of them and 90+% of the time it's UAV or Counter UAV or Ammo or RC Car or Body Armor.

I had 3 last night and called them all at the same time and got 2x body armor and a Counter UAV.Rerolled them and got 1 Ammo 1 UAV and an RC Car.

You called in three at the same time? Must have been saving them for a rainy day. It is random with weighted scores. Meaning the lower streak awards are more common. However that does sound like some bad luck you got there.

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5080
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Achievement Points:  44606
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

Yep 3 at a time.I get them rather often.I shoot enough ppl to get 1 almost every time I respawn on some maps.

Tried getting 3 at a time last week and ended up getting all 3 stolen by some spawn camping idiot that ran the whole way to or spawn and decided to camp fresh spawns and not thaw there team mates.They did however Loose because of it.Hope he enjoyed the UAV,Ammo and Artillery which he didn't get to use.

My luck with care packages is rather POOR to say the least.I even get Ammo in Attack packages FFS :lol:

Ammo in attack packages? Ok that shouldnt happen. It's not even a valid type. You are sure about this? The crate had the Mario power up?

Yea I know packages getting stolen is a bitch. But at least it wasnt by friendlies unless you unlocked them. However... next time throw in the occasional decoy. Does suggest something tho. Still working on the counter measures device and might be cool to have a function that locks out care packages to everybody if close enough.  Of course if you die the device is removed, or if they shoot it, the crate loses protection. It wouldnt be invincible.

On the subject of packages, this is how it works.

Each item is given a weight. The lower the item the greater the weight. Meaning the rc has a greater weight than a stealth bomber.
A sum of all weights is created. So specific items occupy unique ranges in this sum.
Note that in computereze you dont look look for a number between 1 and 10 (10 possible values). You look for a number between 0 and 9.

examples:
rcbomb weight is 10
artillery weight is 8
death machine is 2
tac nuke is 1

For a sum of 21 (range 0 to 20 in a list). In that range the rc occupies 0-9. Artillery 10-17. The death machine 18-19. The nuke 20.
Pick a random number between 0 and 20 (21 possible values). If the number is 5 then you get the rc. If the number is 19 you get the death machine.
This means to get the tac nuke you need a 20. Hard to get.

BO and other games with care packages use this method. If you look them up they give numbers for weights. This is how they are used.

Can there be a keybind to give your KS to your teammates?