Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

I need a new Keyboard any Suggestions

baldie

• Member ID:  607
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  75
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3332
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  33541
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/16/1966
  • Device:  Windows

HI  I am looking for suggestions for a new keyboard but want to find something with the same or close to what I have now. Merc Stealth

Merc Stealth Illuminated(7)

Edited by baldie

• Member ID:  42
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8258
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Achievement Points:  53557
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959
  • Device:  Android

why change thats the keyboard I use its great I like it alot

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

Get one that catches all the crumbs m8 :lol:

• Member ID:  1270
  • Followers:  149
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3860
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  34133
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  04/12/1969

• Member ID:  20832
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  272
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/08/1975

gotta get me one of them :stuart:

Awards

I love it too but mine is worn out and some of the keys are now playing up, its 4 years old and owes me nothing now. its been a great keyboard one of the best I have ever owned

• Member ID:  1128
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1188
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6490
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Achievement Points:  63167
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954

Get one that catches all the crumbs m8 :lol:[/quot

Isn't that what keyboards are for? I have had some expensive ones only to have them hate the crumbs I collect for my mouse so I has plenty of food. I now jus get the cheapest one I can find. I still get all the crumbs with no fussing.

• Member ID:  220
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.19
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

I paid $5 for this keyboard used and was not sure it even worked... glad I did as I love the thing. Gives you a RSS feed for new or whatever.. has profiles you can create per game or other and it will auto detect games it recognizes. Has a clock.. stop watch and timer. Support for Fraps and certain games. You can record macros with it plus a few other things. Not sure it is the best gaming KB.. but it is good for me. :)

55abbcaec0785_800pxLogitech_GamingKeyboa

• Member ID:  2702
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1057
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  8385
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/26/1978

Looks like a fucking casio electric piano lol

Edited by Blaze

• Member ID:  21315
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  181
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1997
  • Birthday:  06/14/1972

This is what i'm currently using and have done for the past 3 to 4 years, and never had a problem with it. (EXCEPT WITH GODDAM BUNNY HOPPERS!!!!!! :rant:  :rant: )

contents3.jpg

• Member ID:  3189
  • Followers:  93
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  5230
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  48729
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957

HI  I am looking for suggestions for a new keyboard but want to find something with the same or close to what I have now. Merc Stealth

Your keyboard is still available on Amazon for $150USD.  Given the looks of that keyboard, I don't think you're going to find one that even comes close, so if you love that one, why not just get another?

Looks like a fucking casio electric piano lol

It weighs about as heavy as one. By far the heaviest keyboard i ever owned. My C64 was not this heavy.

BUT!!!!!!!!!! I see the new keyboard that is going on my Amazon wish list thanks to DJ's reserch.

That looks like a great keyboard... lets look at the info and reviews just in case you can't see Amazon stuff or never looked.

SteelSeries Merc Stealth Gaming Keyboard
by SteelSeries 442 customer reviews 39 answered questions

Price: $149.99 & FREE Shipping.
5 new from $134.95 10 used from $77.99 2 refurbished from $119.99
Product Description Product Description
The SteelSeries Merc Stealth gaming keyboard features 34 dedicated gaming terrain keys, making it easier and more intuitive than ever to walk, run, jump, crouch and move directionally in games. The gaming terrain keys, tilted at an 11° angle, are ergonomic and comfortable even during long gaming sessions. The keyboard features 3 different illumination colors (blue, red and purple), which can be set to 4 different illumination modes (subtle, ambient, intense and off). SteelSeries Merc Stealth supports simultaneous keystrokes and features a number of hotkeys for multimedia, navigation and other one-click controls. The keyboard features two USB 2.0 ports, gold-plated microphone and headset jacks all connected through a gold-plated USB connector. All keys on the keyboard can be programmed with the powerful SteelSeries Z Engine software, allowing for programmable keys and easy to use drag-and-drop macro creation.

From the Manufacturer

The SteelSeries Merc Stealth gaming keyboard features 34 dedicated gaming terrain keys, making it easier and more intuitive than ever to walk, run, jump, crouch, and move directionally in games. The gaming terrain keys, tilted at an 11 degree angle, are ergonomic and comfortable even during long gaming sessions. The keyboard features 3 different illumination colors (blue, red and purple), which can be set to 4 different illumination modes (subtle, ambient, intense and off).

sC_b00292ow1u-tact.jpg
Gaming terrain keys are ergonomic and comfortable, even during long gaming sessions

sC_b00292ow1u-full.jpg

Merc Stealth features 34 gaming keys at a natural tilt to match your wrist position

SteelSeries Merc Stealth supports simultaneous keystrokes and features a number of hotkeys for multimedia, navigation and other one-click controls. The keyboard features two USB 2.0 ports, gold-plated microphone and headset jacks all connected through a gold-plated USB connector. All keys on the keyboard can be programmed with the powerful SteelSeries Z Engine software, allowing for programmable keys and easy to use drag-and-drop macro creation.

Illumination Perfect for Gaming in the Dark

The Merc Stealth features astounding three color illumination in red, blue, and purple to match your gaming mood. Choose your level of brightness (Subtle, Ambient, Intense, Off). Illuminated characters on every key make it easy to find what you need during intense all-night gaming sessions.

Z Engine Software To Customize Every Gaming Experience

The SteelSeries Z Engine software that comes with the Merc Stealth allows you to totally control your gaming experience. It makes your keyboard fully programmable with easy-to-use drag-and-drop macro editing for quick customized performance. Z Engine comes with over 125 pre-defined key mapping layouts that you can use to jump quickly into your favorite games, or you can create your own layouts for a gaming experience that's tailored to you.

Dedicated Gaming Terrain: Amazing Touch and Response for Hours of Comfortable Gaming

Featuring 34 gaming terrain keys, the Merc Stealth makes it easier and more intuitive than ever to walk, run, jump, crouch, and move directionally in games. Rubberized movement keys offer superior response. The Merc Stealth is tilted 11 degrees to match your natural wrist position. 34 gaming keys are labeled and positioned for ultimate precision and control during gaming. The simultaneous key stroke response means no need to worry about phantom keys in the heat of the battle.

Rule All Your PC Gaming Peripherals from One Hub

The Merc Stealth has two built-in USB 2.0 ports to plug in mice and other peripherals. Gold plated audio jacks are also available for headsets and microphones. Plus, dedicated multimedia controls give you total control over your media in and out of the game.

What's in the Box

The SteelSeries Merc Stealth Gaming Keyboard.

What the Critics are Saying about the SteelSeries Merc Stealth Keyboard

"Once you adapt and start using the WASD arrangement it's great. It's like using a pad that's specially designed for your left hand! Jumping into the Z-Board control software, the first thing that strikes me is that there is very little 'customising' to be done right off the bat. You let it detect games and go from there. That's it!"

--Tweaktown

"Overall, the SteelSeries Merc Stealth keyboard is a good product that is sure to improve the users gaming experience. The extensive configuration offered by the Z-Engine software is one of the main positives of the Merc Stealth. It is incredibly easy to use and the pre-defined profiles are a good base to work from when configuring our own profiles."

"We would recommend the Merc Stealth to serious gamers who use their machine mainly for gaming."

--Hardware Heaven

Technical Specifications
  • USB Hub: Two (2) USB 2.0 prots
  • Gold-plated microphone and headset jacks
  • Cable Length: 1.8 m / 6 ft
  • Connection Options: USB
  • Dimensions: 21.1" x 7.9" x 1.1"

Most Helpful Customer Reviews
89 of 93 people found the following review helpful
For World of Warcraft, this is amazing
By Hugo on October 11, 2010
This is review is based on my experience playing World of Warcraft only (raiding, at the moment, ICC 25m weekly including 7-8 hard modes) running on Vista. Since there are more bad comments that I would expect, as I believe this is the best gaming keyboard I ever used (at least, for WoW).

Starting with Con's:

- Learning curve is there and you will not get used to the placement of the keys over night. Took me well over 2 weeks to really "map" the key disposition in my head. However, once i got used to it, it's just amazing. A few highlights of this learning process: getting used to the 2 rows of buttons (1-6, 7-12), learning where's the 3 and where's the 4, you'll mostly likely miss the CTRL/ALT keys available at your thumb (which you will more than likely use only to hit space). With that said, since this is a new approach (at least, new to me) to gaming keyboard, the learning curve was expected.

- The "E" key (something already described on other comments) feels weird during the initial days of use, sometimes it seems to get stuck, sometimes it just doesn't depress as expected. After 1-2 weeks of game play, i believe the internal parts wear off and it starts to feel normal

Pro's:

- On WoW any bind beyond 6 is mostly useless due to the distance to "WASD" (movement keys). This keyboard make them all available to you on a great location. This means that you will use a LOT less "ALT" binds, and, depending on your class, perhaps none.

- Keys that i used to bind to avoid "Alt" binds, such as F, G, C, etc. are all there as well (meaning around 14-16 direct keybindings).

- Since it only remap the standard keyboard keys, it works out of the box, no addons needed.

Read more ›
5 Comments Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
45 of 47 people found the following review helpful
Best keyboard I've ever used.
By Amazon Customer on January 21, 2010
Verified Purchase
I highly recommend the Merc Stealth to any gamer. First construction. This board is very substantial. Manufacturing quality is high and does in no way feel "cheap". The manufacturer claims it is designed for 10,000,000 keystrokes. Much better than the average 1,000,000-2,000,000 keystroke lifetime of a typical keyboard. And with the feel and heft of this board I belive their claim isn't exagerrated. The game pad on the left side is intuitive in its feel, and with the Z-Engine capability, very versitile. I use my board for both MMORPG's and FPS' and find it to work very well in both of those styles. The long USB cord (6') also has plugs for your sound card and allows you to plug a mic and headset directly into the back of the keyboard. There are also 2 additional USB ports built in. While wider than a standard keyboard due to the gaming pad, they have compacted it by moving the contol keys between the QWERTY pad and the number pad to the number pad itself. This does take a bit of getting used to, but worth the change to keep the overall size of the board manageable. If you are looking for a keyboard for your office, the Merc Stealth is not what you need. But, if you are serious about gaming and want to improve your play, this is the board you need. Your game play will improve, I know mine certainly has.
1 Comment Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
36 of 37 people found the following review helpful
Great Keyboard, but Zengine is a waste
By Lawngahnome on October 2, 2011
For starters, the keyboard looks great and it's very durable. I've used it for over 2 years (and it was bought used, so there was use before I owned it), and I've never had a key go out, or have the symbols rubbed off. Also, each key in the game pad is a different shape, so it's easy to tell the keys apart without looking down. I always had a problem with traditional keyboards because I would accidentally press the wrong key because it felt like all the other keys.

Here's a break down of its main features.

IT DOESN'T HAVE A NUMPAD. You can activate the numpad, but then you loose home, end, pgup, pgdwn, etc. I found it really aggravating to reach for the numpad when the lock was off, only to copy something, delete something else, scroll half way down the page, then close the window I was working on. Now I just use the 1-0 row above the letters and life is good.

THE GAME PAD ROCKS. It has a great layout, it's comfortable, and has more buttons than most games need. Only once have I ever ran out of buttons on the game pad.

ZENGINE IS OKAY. In my experience, z-engine is a little clunky and tricky to use. I only rarely use macros, so it doesn't really effect me. Plus you can always get a good free macro program online, and then you can customize your heart out.

BOTTOM LINE: You're paying of the lights and the game pad. If you're not a gamer, this is a waste of money. If you can't function without the numpad, also a waste of money. If normal keyboards cramp your hands and cause you to hit buttons accidentally, this keyboard is for you.

3 Comments Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
25 of 29 people found the following review helpful
Great Keyboard!
By R. Prahl on July 14, 2011
Verified Purchase
The Merc Steelseries keyboard worked fantastic right out of the box. It is awesome having the 2 extra USB ports right behind the keyboard. The keys all light up perfectly and have great sensitivity. The side controls work fantastic for MMO's. The only problem with this keyboard is it's configuration. The Zboard system seems to take forever to save a control set. It does have a few games that you can download preloaded sets for, but the customization should be a bit more polished if you want to change keys. It's really a minor annoyance and just takes some fiddling with to get right, but it may confuse basic users. It shouldn't deter anyone from buying this keyboard however. Having the backlit keys should be a "Must Have" for anyone who works/plays at night. Being able to change the color and intensity if I want is great. If you are looking for a gaming keyboard (specifically for Rift, or World of Warcraft or ANY first person shooter) this is the keyboard for you.

1 Comment Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Merc-Stealth-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00292OW1U

• Member ID:  21216
  • Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1695
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  15803
  • Birthday:  02/09/1966

my old ass G-15 still works I have ben trying to kill it since 2006 I hate to say it but everthing still works including the usb ports!

@@hxtr yes that is the keyboard I have now and its lasted 4 tears without any problems until now the keys are starting to play up... If I can get another one exactly the same then that's what I will do.

That Key board has had coffee spilled on it a whole bottle of beer and enough crumbs to make a loaf of bread and all I have ever done is when it is wet unplug and leave on radiator to dry and Vac out the crumbs once a month lol

• Member ID:  173
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  1392
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  9957
  • Birthday:  02/08/1962

http://store.madcatz.com/platforms/pc/Cyborg-V-7-Gaming-Keyboard-for-PC.html

This is what i use and i really like it .. 

Edited by Mazdarati

• Member ID:  221
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1864
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  12302
  • Birthday:  06/10/1967

stay away from the Razer Deathstalker  not so good.

• Member ID:  20683
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  138
  • Topic Count:  309
  • Content Count:  3344
  • Content Per Day:  0.89
  • Achievement Points:  45176
  • Days Won:  22
  • Device:  Macintosh

Last year I did a little survey of some of the keyboards I thought might be a good fit.

These didn't make the cut:

Older ones I'd used for a bit Logitech G19 (Cheesy Linux based Display not really useful, Mammoth footprint)  Steel Series Apex (-Cheap Feel, + Big Space bar)

Newer Logitech G19 (better but still unwieldy); Razer DeathStalker Ultimate (really really wanted to like this one, very cool features but not a great keyboard), Razer DeathStalker, same issues without the cool features; Razer BlackWidow Mechanical keyboard, used to like them back in the day but way to noisy and too much travel on the keycaps.

IMG_7333.jpg

I settled on this one, love the short key travel, feel and reconfigurability on the negative side it's from MadCatz?! and looks super cheezy:

IMG_7347.jpg

Edited by YACCster

• Member ID:  2991
  • Followers:  48
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  805
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  7108
  • Birthday:  09/09/1979

i use G19 logitech and G13 pad.

Last year I did a little survey of some of the keyboards I thought might be a good fit.

These didn't make the cut:

Older ones I'd used for a bit Logitech G19 (Cheesy Linux based Display not really useful, Mammoth footprint)  Steel Series Apex (-Cheap Feel, + Big Space bar)

Newer Logitech G19 (better but still unwieldy); Razer DeathStalker Ultimate (really really wanted to like this one, very cool features but not a great keyboard), Razer DeathStalker, same issues without the cool features; Razer BlackWidow Mechanical keyboard, used to like them back in the day but way to noisy and too much travel on the keycaps.

IMG_7333.jpg

I settled on this one, love the short key travel, feel and reconfigurability on the negative side it's from MadCatz?! and looks super cheezy:

IMG_7347.jpg

Damn do you wear that thing around your head? Probably not a keyboard best used for member with a temper. I can see breaking that getting expensive. :)

• Member ID:  25938
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Topics Per Day:  0.14
  • Content Count:  1493
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Achievement Points:  13299
  • Birthday:  08/08/1961

Been using the Razar Blackwidow for a few years now...really like the mechanical keys...just wish it could light up multi colored....

aj

my old ass G-15 still works I have ben trying to kill it since 2006 I hate to say it but everthing still works including the usb ports!

Mine quit on me but the warrantee is still good and the replacement one should be here in 2 days!

• Member ID:  3189
  • Followers:  93
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  5230
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  48729
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957

Mine quit on me but the warrantee is still good and the replacement one should be here in 2 days!

Why doesn't it surprise me that you have a busted one going through warranty exchange?  :whistle:

;)

:lol:

Why doesn't it surprise me that you have a busted one going through warranty exchange? :whistle:

;)

:lol:

I am thinking but won't know until I am back on up and running and check it out that my probs this whole time has been a faulty ps. Not sure how that can be except it just didn't have enough power to run every thing and it has gone bad gradually. Edited by BigPapaDean

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5080
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Achievement Points:  44606
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

Hey @@YACCster what do you want for the G19?  I like a big heavy keyboard.I've been using a Dell/Alienware KG900 keyboard for the last 4 years and it's starting to get a bit wonky.Keep having to unplug the 1 USB wire and plug it back in.Stupid back light keeps going out.

Mine has 2 big ass USB wires on it and they are pretty short.And my bunny hopping button "space bar" is very loose.

55ae0fb2277ec_dell69.jpg

• Member ID:  3475
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  229
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  2125
  • Birthday:  06/02/1965