Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

How to clean-install a Windows 10 upgrade

djMot

• Member ID:  3189
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  93
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  5230
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  48729
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957
  • Device:  Windows

This article may apply to you if you're thinking there's no way to "clean install" Win 10 from the free upgrade you got.

I'm posting this because of a discussion several of us had in-game a few mornings ago in which someone seemed to think a "clean install" of Win10 was not possible with the free upgrade edition Microsoft gives you to upgrade Win 7 or Win 8.

Not sure if it was @@Sonovabich, @@JohnnyDos, @@BoomSlang, @@ldoz, @@Ricko ...  not that it matters.  I'm just mentioning them to get their attention. :)

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/how-to-clean-install-a-windows-10-upgrade/

But as I recall, @@JohnnyDos, you were also talking about upgrades to your hardware that would invalidate your license and force you to purchase a new one.  Things like processor or motherboard changes.  Someone said $300 for a new license.  No.  It's just under $100US for Win 10 Home, and just under $140 for Win 10 Pro.  Those were the OEM versions I saw on Amazon later that day when curiosity got the better of me.  Retail editions typically run a little higher.

• Member ID:  21216
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1695
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  15803
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/09/1966

I did a clean install the same day I upgraded it!

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

Wasn't me Mot, i just don't have enough space left on my SSD  drive to install it.

• Member ID:  94
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3739
  • Birthday:  12/03/1955

Thanks for the info but this site gave me no help just said you could do it.

This article is part of our paid content. Subscribe.

Already a paid subscriber? Click here to login.

• Member ID:  220
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.17
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

I bought a Windows Phone... Nokia 1520 and I asked Cantina to remind me to pick up something at Walmart. She asked which one.. I choose and when I get there she reminds me. How cool is that.

Windows phone blow away Droids. Not sure about Apple.

I am glad I destroyed my old phone.  The new coming out 950 had a 6 core CPU and the 950XL has a 8 Core CPU.... water cooled. Then Microsoft has a new Surface phone that will have an Intel chip x86 so you can run you favorite software on it. I want that.

Thanks for the info but this site gave me no help just said you could do it.

This article is part of our paid content. Subscribe.

Already a paid subscriber? Click here to login.

@@BoomSlang -

Okay I checked, and yes, this article is part of the free content.

The Windows Secrets newsletter contains both free and paid content.  You can subscribe for free, and you'll only see the free content in the monthly newsletters.  If you wish to subscribe, YOU get to decide how much to pay for your annual subscription.  They will accept whatever you decide to pay them, after which you will get the full newsletter.  I have found it worth it to unlock the paid content.  I pay them $12/yr and would gladly pay them more if money  was no object.

Similarly, the Windows Secrets website has both free and paid content.  But even the free content may be blocked – sort of.  You mentioned that you could read only so far in the article, and the rest of it was blocked out.  I understand what you're saying; I've seen that before.  Usually, right where the blocked out section begins, is a panel where you will find a brief survey of one or two questions.  Answer them (or take whatever other action they require) and the rest of the article is unblocked.  If you saw no means of unlocking the rest of the article, perhaps a browser extension was preventing it from being displayed.

But then you started saying you were being spammed by them.  That part I don't get.  Windows Secrets is a reputable, high quality source of technical information on Windows, and would never spam anyone.  If all you did was visit their website, how in the world could they be spamming you?

I bought a Windows Phone... Nokia 1520 and I asked Cantina to remind me to pick up something at Walmart. She asked which one.. I choose and when I get there she reminds me. How cool is that.

Windows phone blow away Droids. Not sure about Apple.

I am glad I destroyed my old phone.  The new coming out 950 had a 6 core CPU and the 950XL has a 8 Core CPU.... water cooled. Then Microsoft has a new Surface phone that will have an Intel chip x86 so you can run you favorite software on it. I want that.

Ooooh - sorry to burst your bubble @@hxtr, but Google/Android was doing geo-fencing before the Windows Phone even existed.  And the Google Girl (I wish they would name her!) sounds way sexier then Siri or Cortana.

From Google's Android Help:

562e4760889a0_Screenshot_2.jpg

This article/video was from May 2013 on a Galaxy S3.  It's now 2015 and (if you're in to Samsung (I'm not; Team HTC all the way here)) the Galaxy S6/S6Edge is all the rage today.  So this was 3 iterations back.

http://www.techguylabs.com/episodes/980/how-do-i-set-location-based-reminder-android

Ooooh - sorry to burst your bubble @@hxtr, but Google/Android was doing geo-fencing before the Windows Phone even existed.  And the Google Girl (I wish they would name her!) sounds way sexier then Siri or Cortana.

From Google's Android Help:

562e4760889a0_Screenshot_2.jpg

This article/video was from May 2013 on a Galaxy S3.  It's now 2015 and (if you're in to Samsung (I'm not; Team HTC all the way here)) the Galaxy S6/S6Edge is all the rage today.  So this was 3 iterations back.

http://www.techguylabs.com/episodes/980/how-do-i-set-location-based-reminder-android

No bubble.. never used that feature on my S5. Imagine that. hahaha

She still rocks. Nice little assistant.

The new MS phones should be the rage. Put an intel chip in my phone I then have a PC. Can't beat that.

I was not a huge fan of my samsung... I love this windows phone.

Each to his own. This 6" display 20mp camera rocks.

The new MS phones should be the rage. Put an intel chip in my phone I then have a PC. Can't beat that.

I was not a huge fan of my samsung... I love this windows phone.

Each to his own. This 6" display 20mp camera rocks.

No, no - I do think you're on to something.  And I think Microsoft is on a good path for integrating PCs, Tablets, and Phones.  I've kind of stopped and scratched my head thinking about moving over to a Windows Phone.  But no.  Not yet, anyway.  For me.  For others, especially if you're not balls deep in another ecosystem already, it could be a very good choice.

BUT, there's now only one manufacturer of hardware now that MS dropped their Phone hardware division - isn't that right?  And it's going to be hard for most people to switch over, with different apps, and try to rebuild the same level of comfort they had with their Android or iPhone.  Plus, both Apple and Google are years ahead of Microsoft at this point.  Even if MS pours maximum resources at the App side of Windows, it's going to take a few more years before the apps polish up and the hardware matures like the others.

I believe HTC is going over to the Intel platform, too, for its Android devices for 2016.  And personally, I'd like to see these phones become OS-independent.  Apple never will, of course.  But I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to wipe a phone clean and install Windows Phone in place of Android, or vice-versa.

BUT, there's now only one manufacturer of hardware now that MS dropped their Phone hardware division - isn't that right?  And it's going to be hard for most people to switch over, with different apps, and try to rebuild the same level of comfort they had with their Android or iPhone.  Plus, both Apple and Google are years ahead of Microsoft at this point.  Even if MS pours maximum resources at the App side of Windows, it's going to take a few more years before the apps polish up and the hardware matures like the others.

I believe HTC is going over to the Intel platform, too, for its Android devices for 2016.  And personally, I'd like to see these phones become OS-independent.  Apple never will, of course.  But I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to wipe a phone clean and install Windows Phone in place of Android, or vice-versa.

I can buy all that.

Yes now that the cellphone part of Nokia was absorbed by MS and the Surface team is another entity. Kind of two makers of hardware but yes... like Apple now.

All the new stuff will be cool... yes the app on MS are lacking. I am more of a Office... email text phone and a few toys and productivity apps. I don't do a lot of apps so lack of support is ok. I have my old Galexcy Express for some of the ones I might need like my bank.

We are being manipulated into wanting these... it is fun.

MS is making some program that can port some Apple and Android apps to MS. And they are making it very easy for the app makers to port their apps to MS with api's and stuff. 3rd party info there from my friend in Florida. He helps me hate MS less. He hated them with a passion as he was a Novell Netware guy till he had to admit MS does it better now. Now all he talks about MS this MS that. hahaha

Lets see what happens. :)

Edited by hxtr

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  23165
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  224
  • Birthday:  01/18/1961

I think Microsoft got into the cell phone market too late and has no chance. The number of users as a percentage is dropping for Windows phones. Some apps are not even being made for the windows phone crowd as it is too much effort for too few devices. 

Blackberry made the same mistake in that they ignored the app store model and it has all been downhill ever since.

Awards