Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Donate to Build a Dedicated Server?

DotFader

• Member ID:  20794
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  113
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi guys Just wanted to bring something up that I believe would help the >xi< clan.

Was thinking about building a server to host games on. I went to Newegg and put

together a parts list for a server build that in my opinion would be a great resource

for the clan.

PARTS:

Intel Xeon E3-1270 v5 SkyLake 3.6 GHz LGA 1151 80W BX80662E31270V5 Server Processor

MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK AC LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Kingston Value 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Server Memory KVR24R17D4/16 x2

Crucial MX200 M.2 Type 2280SS (Single Sided) 250GB SATA 6Gbps (SATA III) Micron 16nm MLC NAND Internal Solid State 

Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST2000NM0033 2TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive 

EVGA 120-G1-0650-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 650 W Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continuous PSU

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

TOTAL Inc Shipping and Tax: $1,184.91

If you feel that starting a donations pool to spread out the cost of building a server is a good idea, comment and let me know.
If you have any suggestions on changes to the components list, comment and let me know.
Personally I feel it is better to own a server then rent one. Anyway just a thought. If you would like to contact me my E-mail is dotfader@.com
Edited by DotFader

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  184
  • Topic Count:  2827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.53
  • Content Count:  11852
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  106390
  • Days Won:  123
  • Birthday:  08/25/1976
  • Device:  iPhone

We have 2 dedicated servers that we rent right now, and the one is working great. The other one was my fault because I'm an idiot and didn't listen to instructions. 

I like renting the servers, this way other people have to setup the servers, deal with maintenance issues and run the server for us. Its just a lot easier all around and we can always upgrade to the newest stuff whenever we need to. 

Also a plus is we can run servers like Battlefield that can only be hosted by certain hosts, one of which we are renting from. 

• Member ID:  561
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  84
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5334
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Achievement Points:  41339
  • Days Won:  29
  • Birthday:  04/06/1992
  • Device:  Windows

Although I would love to buy a server someday they are simply not cost effective to run for a gaming community. The parts you have chosen (although great) are more for a desktop PC - you would need a different mobo and case for sure as well as 32 - 64GB RAM. Oh and some more HDD/SSDs so you can run in RAID 5. That would raise the cost to easily over $1500. Then you have to rent space at a datacentre and pay to have the server located there (this is where the different case comes in). You have to pay the shipping fees and fitting fees. Most probably you lose access to the server at this point and now have to pay maintenance fees to call out an engineer if there is ever a hardware fault. Consideration would have to be made for a backup server and monitoring programs as it's now our responsibility. We lose the freedom of migrating hosts and are now locked in. We also lose the freedom of upgrades which at the moment we do once a year. So although the monthly costs would be less we are still paying for board, bandwidth and maintenance events with the risk of huge one-offs for hardware faults.

Love the idea just not practical. Although I do have a set of 5 rackables servers at home which are fun to play with :)

duc