Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Construction help- kinda urgent

Joe Canadian

• Member ID:  822
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967
  • Device:  Windows

I was wondering if I could get some tips here as to what materials I could  use to give  OSB (oriented strand board) panels a finish similar to gypsum or drywall panels.  I just finished building my mans cave (official name Joe's Dungeon). I built a secondary wall using OSD boards, 4x2's and sound insulating foam. I was told I could seal OSB using mud (drywall plaster) and then sand and paint it as normal drywall. I have also been told to sand the OSB and then give it a coat of water based primer (Kils general purpose). Some dude also suggested I used Kils oil based primer, which is definitely a no go, since the smell is horrible and gives you a weird high/headache. 

I am about to sand the walls and then prime them with Kils general purpose. Then I will use regular wood filler or polifilla(not sure how to spell that) to cover wholes and irregularities , sand it and  glue "superfresco  paintable wall liner" to the walls. Then I would use water based paint (latex) to finish it.,

Does this make any sense?  I need to finish the OSB ceiling as well but I think I will hire someone to do that for me because is way too much work. 

Plan C is to burn the house and collect the insurance. My wife hates my project and has been on my back for two months....(hmm I could also get rid  of my wife haha JK)

Thank you for your feedback in advance

• Member ID:  938
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  4774
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/28/1972
  • Device:  iPhone

Plan C with Latex kinky.. ;-) you could mud over the OSB but your plan is more sound I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member ID:  1213
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5349
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Achievement Points:  47101
  • Days Won:  174
  • Birthday:  10/11/1961
  • Device:  iPad

I just finished off doing my living room and adding OSB shear wall myself. I simply over laid 1/4 drywall over it and finished it off. Easiest way to do itpost-1213-0-32133400-1463879269_thumb.jpeg

Edited by bds1961

• Member ID:  3682
  • Group:  ++ COD5 Admin
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1834
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Achievement Points:  14780
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  01/12/1960
  • Device:  Android

Anything you put on the osb will not cover, the osb color will bleed through. Unless you want to sand the shit out of it and prime and paint, still have all the seams.  The best thing to do is 1/4 or 3/8 drywall over it and finish with joint compound, primer and paint.  If you use the 1/4 inch stuff you may want to glue as well as screw it to the osb.  !/4 inch tends to be a bit flexible, you dont want it to bow between fasteners.  This is more of a problem on ceiling then walls so in your case not as important.  3/8 drywall is usually the same price as 1/2 inch.  There is also a type of drywall out there called paperless, great for basements.  Manufactured with out paper so mold has nothing to grow on...great for cave construction.   

I used to do drywall and drywall finishing in a past career.  PM me if you have any questions 

• Member ID:  220
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.19
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

I was wondering if I could get some tips here as to what materials I could  use to give  OSB (oriented strand board) panels a finish similar to gypsum or drywall panels.  I just finished building my mans cave (official name Joe's Dungeon). I built a secondary wall using OSD boards, 4x2's and sound insulating foam. I was told I could seal OSB using mud (drywall plaster) and then sand and paint it as normal drywall. I have also been told to sand the OSB and then give it a coat of water based primer (Kils general purpose). Some dude also suggested I used Kils oil based primer, which is definitely a no go, since the smell is horrible and gives you a weird high/headache. 

I am about to sand the walls and then prime them with Kils general purpose. Then I will use regular wood filler or polifilla(not sure how to spell that) to cover wholes and irregularities , sand it and  glue "superfresco  paintable wall liner" to the walls. Then I would use water based paint (latex) to finish it.,

Does this make any sense?  I need to finish the OSB ceiling as well but I think I will hire someone to do that for me because is way too much work. 

Plan C is to burn the house and collect the insurance. My wife hates my project and has been on my back for two months....(hmm I could also get rid  of my wife haha JK)

Thank you for your feedback in advance

First of all..  that is what you get for still being married. Second of all you being married is why you need a man cave. My house is my man cave. 

Get some egg crate foam plaster to wall then paint. That makes is sound proof so you can go in your cave and scream at your wife and she wont hear you. 

Last.... If you want me to burn it I love to play with matches. You can blame it on my ADD. 

• Member ID:  989
  • Topic Count:  261
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  17977
  • Content Per Day:  3.46
  • Achievement Points:  131729
  • Days Won:  251
  • Birthday:  01/27/1946

Joe - look it up on Google - but probably the best suggestion is to cover it with a thin sheet of drywall

Joe - look it up on Google - but probably the best suggestion is to cover it with a thin sheet of drywall

Is that what you been calling your special sauce as you paint the walls. 

Joe will want to know if you do ceilings BTW forgot to add. ? 

Edited by hxtr

Thank you all for the feedback. I truly appreciate it.  I agree, sheetrock (gypsum panels) @$7 each is the easiest way to go.  I am just sick of home depot right now. Will try priming a small wall with Kills  to see how it covers. I will then use the materials I already have (wall paper liner,  primer etc), to see what kind of a finish I get. If it looks bad I will go and buy drywall. I have never worked with drywall before, so I will have a lot of questions.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea, once the osb is primed with Kills and dry, to mud the walls and then sand and paint with CIL duo primer/paint. I would be using a thin layer of mud just to make the osb perfectly smooth.

cheers

Joe5742062a07f07_2.jpg5742064c12906_11.jpg

First of all..  that is what you get for still being married. Second of all you being married is why you need a man cave. My house is my man cave. 

Get some egg crate foam plaster to wall then paint. That makes is sound proof so you can go in your cave and scream at your wife and she wont hear you. 

Last.... If you want me to burn it I love to play with matches. You can blame it on my ADD. 

Burning the house is becoming a strong option haha. I need your help though @@hxtr.  Is there any way you could get me Pete's DNA? Hair, sperm, nails, would work. Please make sure you collect some samples next time you have sex with him. Need to blame someone for the fire otherwise the insurance company will not pay.

Thanks hxtr, U rock, beecchhhhhhhh

• Member ID:  294
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  966
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  8645
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/29/1963

Cover with dry wall, mud, sand and paint. :dry:

Burning the house is becoming a strong option haha. I need your help though @@hxtr.  Is there any way you could get me Pete's DNA? Hair, sperm, nails, would work. Please make sure you collect some samples next time you have sex with him. Need to blame someone for the fire otherwise the insurance company will not pay.

Thanks hxtr, U rock, beecchhhhhhhh

You should see this blue dress of mine once a favorite Pete's. A black light makes it look like a Cheetah dress. Him and I went clubbing and I made the mistake of wearing it. I hate to fake a headache real fast. I been saving it for when he becomes famous.

@@Bama dress is Red so plenty of DNA there as well if interested.  BTW Bama has a new kid. He adopted a kid from Japan. Cool kid.  

You should see this blue dress of mine once a favorite Pete's. A black light makes it look like a Cheetah dress. Him and I went clubbing and I made the mistake of wearing it. I hate to fake a headache real fast. I been saving it for when he becomes famous.

@@Bama dress is Red so plenty of DNA there as well if interested.  BTW Bama has a new kid. He adopted a kid from Japan. Cool kid.  

I would prefer if you send me that blue dress as long as it is covered in Pete's excretions ;-) I feel for @@Bama, his DNA would work perfectly but his hands are full with Pokemon Jr.  ;-)

BTW @@hxtr, fuck you for hijacking my post lol

• Member ID:  5468
  • Followers:  36
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  674
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  6445
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/22/1965
  • Device:  Android

Slap some drywall up there as has been suggested. Or you could just varnish the OSB.

I would prefer if you send me that blue dress as long as it is covered in Pete's excretions ;-) I feel for @@Bama, his DNA would work perfectly but his hands are full with Pokemon Jr.  ;-)

Send you the entire dress? Are you nutz? I will cut a spot out for you. I will have to ask Bama if I can give one of his spot away. We have a unwritten rule not to share personal items.... plus we are still see each other. From the looks of Pete thank goodness it ended when it did... spot on! 

Anything you put on the osb will not cover, the osb color will bleed through. Unless you want to sand the shit out of it and prime and paint, still have all the seams.  The best thing to do is 1/4 or 3/8 drywall over it and finish with joint compound, primer and paint.  If you use the 1/4 inch stuff you may want to glue as well as screw it to the osb.  !/4 inch tends to be a bit flexible, you dont want it to bow between fasteners.  This is more of a problem on ceiling then walls so in your case not as important.  3/8 drywall is usually the same price as 1/2 inch.  There is also a type of drywall out there called paperless, great for basements.  Manufactured with out paper so mold has nothing to grow on...great for cave construction.   

I used to do drywall and drywall finishing in a past career.  PM me if you have any questions 

great information!!!!

Send you the entire dress? Are you nutz? I will cut a spot out for you. I will have to ask Bama if I can give one of his spot away. We have a unwritten rule not to share personal items.... plus we are still see each other. From the looks of Pete thank goodness it ended when it did... spot on! 

No, no @hxtrr, Is Monica Lewinsky your real name? I just need a 2' x 2' piece, so I could incriminate @@PimpedOutPete and collect the insurance lol.  Leave Bama alone for g sake, he has to provide for Pokemon Jr, show some respect!! 

BTW, I'm not sure how we ended up talking about Pete, Bama  and Monica. This post is supposed to be about my basement project haha. I'm not complaining, just saying, since my f PC is not working at the moment . :-)

great information!!!!

Did you manage to read the whole thing? haha, spinpuppy rocks. He must be a Canadian dude 

Did you manage to read the whole thing? haha, spinpuppy rocks. He must be a Canadian dude 

Yes I did. I will stay away from 1/4 sheet rock it might warp or you may have to use glue. :)

• Member ID:  2465
  • Group:  +++ Minecraft Head Admin
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1818
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  14559
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  04/17/1972

Unless you sand the crap out of the OSB you are going to have adhesion problems, anything you put on it due to the pre-finish that is on OSB as well as the glues that are in it and the amount to sanding you would have to do on that OSB in order to get good adhesion would be extensive tedious labour it would cost you much less work if you covered it with quarter inch drywall and do the mud coat. You wouldn't need it to be screwed on top either being such thin drywall just buy yourself a couple tubes of PL premium and that stuff will never come off

Edited by KingStinger!

Yes I did. I will stay away from 1/4 sheet rock it might warp or you may have to use glue. :)

Thanks for the tips @@hxtr, would you like to open a home renovation business with me? My work is always over budget (the government likes to call it "cost overruns",) late and way overdue. Maybe you could help entertaining my customers while i finish my projects lol

Unless you sand the crap out of the OSB you are going to have adhesion problems, anything you put on it due to the pre-finish that is on OSB as well as the glues that are in it and the amount to sanding you would have to do on that OSB in order to get good adhesion would be extensive tedious labour it would cost you much less work if you covered it with quarter inch drywall and do the mud coat. You wouldn't need it to be screwed on top either being such thin drywall just buy yourself a couple tubes of PL premium and that stuff will never come off

Thank you Stinger, you are absolutely right. PL premium is LePage adhesive stuff, right? 

Cheers

• Member ID:  1410
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  522
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3583
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/08/1953

You could always put paneling over the OSB. Goes up fast and sure to piss off the misses.

Thanks for the tips @@hxtr, would you like to open a home renovation business with me? My work is always over budget (the government likes to call it "cost overruns",) late and way overdue. Maybe you could help entertaining my customers while i finish my projects lol

As long as I get to paint the walls. 

• Member ID:  390
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  4251
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Achievement Points:  35625
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  05/08/1959

Why use OSB in the first place is my question?