Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Activision Explains Why 2017's Call Of Duty Is Going "Back To Its Roots"

Dessy

• Member ID:  22372
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  634
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  6173
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  06/12/1976
  • Device:  Windows

Source http://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-explains-why-2017s-call-of-duty-is-goin/1100-6447724/

Activision Explains Why 2017's Call Of Duty Is Going "Back To Its Roots" Sledgehammer Games is behind this year's game.
Last updated by Chris Pereira on  February 9, 2017 at 6:19PM 218 Comments

RELATED
3057175-codinfinitewarfareicon.jpg
Follow
Subscribe for the latest gaming news

As part of its latest earnings report, Activision confirmed the inevitable Call of Duty sequel that's due out this year. But what came as a surprise is news that this year's game will return to the franchise's "roots," and now we have some idea of why.

Speaking as part of a conference call with investors, chief operating officer Thomas Tippl first discussed 2016's Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. While he described it as "a high-quality, innovative game," he revealed it "underperformed [Activision's] expectations." We already knew sales were down significantly compared with the previous year's Black Ops III. That was due in part to Infinite Warfare being a new sub-series, making for a difficult comparison with the established Black Ops.

However, the futuristic setting has also been a source of complaints from some longtime Call of Duty fans, a fact that Tippl acknowledged. That doesn't mean the company necessarily regrets exploring that space.

"t's clear that, for a portion of our audience, the space setting just didn't resonate," he explained. "We have a passionate, experienced studio deeply committed to this direction, and despite the risks we saw, we believe it is important to consider the passions of our game teams in deciding what content to create.

"While it wasn't the success we planned, it allows us to protect the core tenets of our culture that Bobby discussed: empowering our talented teams to have the chance to pursue opportunities that they are passionate about. Providing an environment that recognizes passion is a critical component of our success, and a process to learn from our mistakes is what makes our company special, and it's why the most talented people in our industry are attracted to our company."

All of that said, even with Call of Duty still doing well, Activision is clearly aware of the demand for a Call of Duty game that hews closer to the series' older titles.

3193018-iw.jpgCall of Duty: Infinite Warfare

"In 2017, Activision will take Call of Duty back to its roots and traditional combat will once again take center stage," Tippl said. "This is what our dedicated community of Call of Duty players and Sledgehammer Games, which has been developing this year's title, are the most excited about."

Beyond that, no further details were shared. It stands to reason that this year's game--which was greenlit more than two years ago--will feature a classic or modern-day setting, but that remains to be seen. For its part, Sledgehammer said of the game on Twitter, "It's our biggest achievement as game makers."

Sledgehammer previously assisted with the development of Modern Warfare 3and served as the lead developer of Advanced Warfare. Activision rotates between three main studios--Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer--for its annual Call of Duty releases. Sledgehammer was, at one point, at work on athird-person Call of Duty game set during Vietnam.

We'll have more on the new Call of Duty as it's announced. For the full rundown on Activision's announcement, check out our recap of its earnings.

Filed under:   Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare  PC  Xbox One  PlayStation 4

• Member ID:  1371
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  348
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1906
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Achievement Points:  14042
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/01/1990

Lets hope cod does WW2 so BF can skip over that and do vietnam..... Id play both games definitely

• Member ID:  21216
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1695
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  15803
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/09/1966

lol cod lost sales Huummm i wonder why ;) they still will not learn we want real servers we can control. 

• Member ID:  20107
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2015
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  16685
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  08/01/1994

It would be nice to see them do another WW2 one but I am not sure what fronts they would cover. I mean, quite a bit was covered in the CoD1, 2, 3 and 5 as well as a fair number of the spin offs before Modern Warfare. Still, at least they admit that Infinite Warfare was shite.

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

Lets hope cod does WW2 so BF can skip over that and do vietnam..... Id play both games definitely

Battlefield have already done Vietnam.

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

When it said back to it's roots i naturally thought they meant they were going to stop ripping people off and really go back to it's roots and release Map and Mod tools so we could make our own maps and mods and ultimately make the game better.....silly me.

• Member ID:  4101
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1124
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  8736
  • Birthday:  07/08/1962

I like pancakes :)

• Member ID:  20107
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2015
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  16685
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  08/01/1994

When it said back to it's roots i naturally thought they meant they were going to stop ripping people off and really go back to it's roots and release Map and Mod tools so we could make our own maps and mods and ultimately make the game better.....silly me.

Yea, but we must be delusional if we think they will do that

• Member ID:  1482
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2018
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Achievement Points:  15303
  • Birthday:  07/13/1967

i loved that game, and the soundtrack was the best!!!   a new version would be cool...

• Member ID:  1371
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  348
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1906
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Achievement Points:  14042
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/01/1990

I know and that game was the best thing to happen ! I plated CoD 1 and CoD:UO and BF1942 all when they came out and was so in love but i think that with what they did in BF1 with graphics and gameplay i think vietnam could be the "Game of the Year" material if they do it right.

• Member ID:  3036
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.08
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008

I guess it will depend on what 'roots' means. Really the only significant direction they could go for something new is a very good squad based MMO that is fully supported long term, stable, and continually updated so it doesnt get stale.  Means you wont be aiming for the casual 'hop on' gamers and random teams but dedicated players and groups.