Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Battalion 1944 Pre-Alpha Gameplay trailer

Phoenix911

• Member ID:  3723
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  524
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  3685
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/17/1987
  • Device:  Windows

For those that have been following the Battalion 1944 progress, they recently released the first game footage since the Kickstarter project was funded and I must say it looks promising. Below is the email they sent out with the link to the video.

Hey guys,

It’s been a long time since the amazing success of the Battalion 1944 Kickstarter and since then we haven't shown much in terms of gameplay... until now!

The following 15 minutes of gameplay is RAW from a pre-alpha playtest of our casual TDM mode on our first map, which will be play tested during our first closed alpha weekend; Manor House.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGtZhgdTxpg

A few key points to consider after watching are:

• Third person animations in this build are in a very early state. We have much more fluid anims already working in engine which are currently mid-implementation, coming in before the closed alpha goes public.
  • User Interface is still a work in progress, there’s a lot of placeholder assets in there and some functions aren't working the way we envision them to. However you can see of general thought process of how we are aiming for a simple HUD with minimal clutter.
  • We still have a way to go! Which means we’re still looking for your valuable feedback. This footage was recorded two weeks ago, a lot of issues are already known to us and a lot has already been fixed within this time frame but we’re always looking forward to hearing your comments.

We’ve been completely and utterly rebuilding the unreal engine to mimic the gameplay feel of old school shooters and maximising performance to ensure our first ‘pre alpha reveal’ is representative of what our sights are for Battalion 1944.

We’ve recently been testing the ‘base game’ with some super closed playtests with pro level Call of Duty 2 players and gaming press, making sure the BASE GAME feels good to play. That’s what our aim is with sharing this gameplay footage, to show you guys how the movement, aiming mechanics etc feel. We feel we’ve got to that point where we’ve completely modified Unreal Engine to feel like a classic FPS with 1 to 1 movement and aiming mechanics. This should hopefully clear up any misconceptions about our intended direction with the game!

Weapon balancing, map design, and animations are all trivial and fixable issues. But what we’re trying to nail is the feel of the game, we can tweak weapons and maps on a weekly and even daily basis, but the game MUST feel like a classic shooter from day 1. We’re getting as close as we can at alpha aiming to lock off all movement tweaks and changes by early access or even beta. This is why we need our team of alpha testers/backers to help us really nail the feel of Battalion.

Battalion 1944 at EGX Rezzed! Battalion 1944 at EGX Rezzed!

Here’s a quote from Howard about our goals with making a classic shooter:

“Battalion has always been about bringing back the 'feel' of classic shooters which peaked in the era of the early CoD titles. Almost all of the FPS games from that era were derived from the Quake Engine, which since then developers have shied away from in favour of prettier visuals and easier to pick up mechanics for newer players (in turn reducing the skill cap of FPS games). These modern FPS titles are great polished games in their own right but by fixing 'bugs' such as fast reloads, strafe jumping and eliminating the rough edges, a lot of developers left that classic feel many gamers miss behind.

This is what Battalion is aiming to recapture from that era. True skill based mechanics to allow players who are good at the game to push the skill ceiling higher. We miss those classic FPS days before unlocks/killstreaks. These classic games were by no means bad, they've just not been remade for the current generation yet.”

- KingHoward, Creative Producer at Bulkhead Interactive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25EmAsJadWo

More ‘Community Driven Development’ from this point forwards

Now we’ve got to the starting point where we’re happy with the base game we’ll be able to start sharing much more ‘smaller’ updates, screenshots, videos and tidbits of information with you guys to keep you involved with progress on the game from now until release.

So, with Alpha coming soon this is a key point for us to remind everyone involved that Closed Alpha/Beta/Early Access is NOT a marketing tool for us, unlike some companies who use them to drum up hype for the game when in reality the game is already done. We’re actively still developing the game which means things will be broken and unfinished.

- The Bulkhead Interactive Team

• Member ID:  22266
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1112
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  9330
  • Birthday:  07/24/1988

looks good

• Member ID:  2978
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1656
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Achievement Points:  26102
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/23/1970

Definitely looks very interesting..thanks Phoenix 

• Member ID:  1270
  • Followers:  149
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3860
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  34133
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  04/12/1969

• Member ID:  20987
  • Group:  +++ Insurgency Head Admin
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  190
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1794
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14301
  • Birthday:  01/09/1996

There has been a lot of hype around Battalion 1944 for several months now, I was definitely interested to see what the game looked like but after seeing the game play footage of it there its definitely a game I wont be getting.

It's way too fast paced and very arcady like especially for a WW2 game. There has been already another WW2 game released called Days of War which was pretty much the same fast pace WW2 shooter. The game is now dead online 2 months after its release. WW2 games on PC is a hard community to please with many old school DOD players still around. Day of Infamy is probably the best WW2 shooter out there at the moment in terms of realism and gameplay

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  21058
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  220
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2494
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Achievement Points:  20963
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  03/07/1987

Yeah, I am keeping my eye on this game. It definitely looks promising !! I've been saving up my money for this game, so I hope it will be awesome!!!!!

Anyone else thinking of getting it? Can't wait to play a decent FPS again that reminded me of the good ole days.

• Member ID:  87
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3789
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  27249
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  04/02/1871

looks great i will get it

On 4/3/2017 at 11:02 AM, Barron3000 said:

There has been a lot of hype around Battalion 1944 for several months now, I was definitely interested to see what the game looked like but after seeing the game play footage of it there its definitely a game I wont be getting.

It's way too fast paced and very arcady like especially for a WW2 game. There has been already another WW2 game released called Days of War which was pretty much the same fast pace WW2 shooter. The game is now dead online 2 months after its release. WW2 games on PC is a hard community to please with many old school DOD players still around. Day of Infamy is probably the best WW2 shooter out there at the moment in terms of realism and gameplay

That game is dead cos not many ppl bought the game to begin with cos theyre all waiting for Battalion to come out... As far as I've read on forums.

As for fast paced game.. It depends on who is in the server. The video was given out was from a guy that has been playing video games ( FPS ) for years and is pretty good and understood the movement pretty fast etc. If I or a lot of people would join the game, it takes time to get good at it and not everyone will be fast.. I know some ppl that play like old farts :P  Like I said, don't base your opinion on one video and see how things turn out ^^

Also, the video is not even in the Alpha stages.... Meaning they are still working on things, and even after that it goes into Beta and will still be worked on until it is made good. They have a forum and a Discord set up for people that play Alpha and Beta to listen to people that play it to adjust things for the final game changes.

• Member ID:  21469
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1800
  • Birthday:  10/11/1972

Days of War is a completly different game and based on DoD where Battalion is based on CoD 2 and Mohaa.

The reason why DoW got a big setback is becuz of the approach they took, i am a supporter ( bought) of both games and they made so many mistakes with DoW that it went downhill fast. They released it way to soon with all the bugs and errors still not adressed.  For me it doesnt matter since im not a DoD fan in the first place, i just wanted to try it out.

Battalion takes a whole different approach and also plays completly different and they most likely wont make the same mistakes as DoW did. The devs are narrowly involved on their forum with the CoD community and take things to hand and actually taking advice in from the community, something i never saw the devs of DoW doing.  Battalion is still in alpha so the game cant even be judged so far by just watching a video. 

As a mapper myself,  im really looking forward to Battalion since it already has all the marks of a good ww2 game and with the release of the tools and dedi servers is just a game to have alot of hours fun in. 

Awards

• Member ID:  22459
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1153
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  8340
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  05/18/1969

I am a kickstarter backer for this game I will be playing it.

Hey guys,

This weeks development update is focused on the new and improved animations of the game.

Third Person Animation Updates

The most commonly heard feedback we’ve received from our pre-alpha gameplay footage and playtests at events was that third person animations seemed a bit ‘janky’ which we totally agreed with. This is something that we’d already foreseen and had on the development pipeline for a while, it’s just not something we’d not been able to get in before the gameplay reveal due to the large nature of the task!

However! Today we can show you a short clip of the new work in progress animations to help smooth out Battalion 1944’s gameplay. Strafing from left to right and back will now blend animation states together smoothly, with things such as feet adjusting themselves to balance the player character in a realistic manner regardless of a Battalion player's erratic input!

You can see this in action in the short clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WfRaHWZ4ho

These animations are still work in progress but we thought it’d be cool for you guys to see the direction we’re headed towards with Battalion’s updated animations in the near future.

/R/Battalion1944 Subreddit

If you’re a reddit user, make sure to subscribe to the /r/Battalion1944 subreddit. The community is still growing there and it’d be great to get more users engaged with that channel as there’s great content coming through already.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battalion1944/

Backer Surveys

Just a quick reminder that the backer surveys are being released on the 28th April. We’ve been working hard to ensure smooth filing, management and delivery of your backer rewards. The way rewards are going to be sent is in ‘waves’.

Our first ‘wave’ of deliveries will be the Closed Alpha Steam Codes which will be sent on May 24th, ready to activate on the 26th. From that point onwards, we’ll be looking at how and when to send out the next ‘waves’ to send other rewards such as the forums tags etc to you guys.

Physical rewards such as the dogtags and t-shirts will take much longer to sort out, so don’t expect to receive them in May. However we are working on getting them produced and sorted, ready to be sent later in the year.

That’s it for today’s update!

Thanks,  

KingHoward & The Bulkhead Interactive team.

• Member ID:  21470
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  860
  • Birthday:  04/20/1962

follow

I cant wait!!!! Any update on when it will be released? Not Alpha.. maybe free Beta? :P I wanna try it first before I buy it.

• 4 weeks later...

Closed Alpha 0.1 Weekend Breakdown
Posted by Howard Philpott (Developer)
Hey guys!

Important update today as we get prepared for the first ever Closed Alpha weekend on the 26th May. Keys will be sent out on the 24th/25th of May for everyone to download Battalion 1944, ready for when the servers go live.  

d826fa74a94331f48b6f306e24acbc36_origina

You’re officially becoming a part of Battalion 1944’s Closed Alpha Testing Team!

We felt it was very important to lay out key facts for you in this update with a breakdown of the Alpha weekend schedule so that we can accurately manage your expectations. Please read this update fully if you intend on taking part in the Battalion 1944 closed alpha weekends. Also do remember to remind other players of these facts to reduce the amount of uninformed statements about the game!  

Quick Reminder

Before continuing I just need to post one quick reminder for everyone which I've repeated many many times: This is a REAL Closed Alpha. It is NOT a marketing tool for us. Battalion 1944’s Closed Alpha WILL be broken, unbalanced and full of unexpected (and expected!) glitches.

This is why you're here to help us test and refine the base of the game. Put aside the tag of being a ‘backer’ and welcome to the testing team. This access to Battalion 1944 is very early in the game's development and is not representative of the final Early Access release. The game is missing core features/modes and will have game breaking crashes/bugs/glitches. Please remember this when heading into Closed Alpha testing.

What To Expect From Alpha 0.1

The Alpha 0.1 build of Battalion 1944 is extremely bare bones.

We’ll be testing 6v6 Team Deathmatch on our first (and smallest!) map, Brecourt Manor on official servers only during the official play test times. This will all be done through an early version of Battalion 1944’s server browser.

The main thing we’re looking at testing is the FEEL of the game. This means we want to know how it feels to move and play around in the game world. Bugs & glitches we can fix over time. Game modes, weapons and content can all be added at any time, but the core game needs to feel good before adding new content to the game. After internal testing and play tests at events, we feel the core of the game is in a good state right now, but we want to hear your in depth feedback to make sure we’re headed in the right direction.

We know there will be bugs and glitches and we’re definitely encouraging reports as they will be incredibly useful for us to fix bugs faster and more efficiently. Lots of bugs we already know about and are already on our internal list to fix, however at this stage we’re mostly interested in feedback on how the game feels to play at this initial stage.

Launching Closed Alpha 0.1 Servers, Key Info & Playtest Times

We’ll be launching the Alpha 0.1 servers on Friday 26th May at 18:00pm BST until 02:00am BST

. We’ll then repeat these server uptimes for the following day on the Saturday 27th May.

This first Alpha weekend test will be familiar to those who were able to play the game at EGX Rezzed in London, albeit with a lot of balance changes and fixes since that point.

ALPHA 0.1 - 26th-27th May Details  

Mode/Map:Team Deathmatch on Brecourt Manor

Weapons: M1 Garand, Kar98k, Thompson, MP40

(More weapons will be added for testing in the coming weeks!)

Server Up time:  

Friday 26th 6pm - 2am (18:00 BST19:00 CEST13:00 EDT03:00 AEST)

Saturday 27th 6pm - 2am (18:00 BST19:00 CEST13:00 EDT03:00 AEST)

Official Closed Alpha Server Locations:  

Europe - Amsterdam, London

Russia - Moscow  

East-US -New York, Washington DC  

Central-US - Dallas  

West-US - Salt Lake City, San Jose  

LATAM - Sao Paulo  

Australia - Sydney  

Southeast Asia - Singapore  

Asia - Hong Kong  

North Asia - Tokyo

Why Closed Alpha Weekends? (Dedicated Server uptime and Testing Playtimes)

As an extension of the fact that the Closed Alpha weekends are a testing phase for the game, it’s very important that we let you know that there will be dedicated server uptimes for playing the game and the reasoning behind why this is the case.  

The core reason is that we need time between play sessions and weekends to analyse the stats & data over the weekend and use your feedback to improve the game during the week. This way you’ll actively be a part of the community driven development we always promised, seeing weekly changes, additions and updates.

Another reason is that at no point during the Closed Alpha testing periods do we want testers to not be able to find others to play with. We currently have a list of Alpha Backers, Humble pre-purchasers and external testers to help us improve the game during these periods. We've purposefully aimed for our Alpha player ‘pool’ to be around a few thousand players, however this does not mean concurrent player counts will reach that during Alpha, in fact we expect concurrent player counts to be much lower.

This is in fact good for the game as it allows us to get more quality feedback from the hardcore few! These concurrent players will make up the core of our hardcore testing community from weekend to weekend. We will be taking on board your feedback through the forums and our social channels and then implement changes during the week, ready for the next alpha play test weekend.

7bde81def2ec1d6e1942276be088008b_origina

It's very important we do this right, and introducing things slowly to you guys will be much more beneficial for the game and development in the long run as we'll have more time to fix the large glaring issues and you'll actively see improvement and new content week to week. This is a very small closed alpha player pool and we need to make sure we maximise the amount of players during the testing periods to make sure we get the most effective feedback based on the latest weekly builds of the game. We have always said Alpha/Beta sessions are not marketing tools like modern Alpha/Beta sessions for AAA studios which just let you play a demo of the game before it's out. Our Alpha/Beta sessions are for helping us test and build the game we all want to eventually play as our main game every night of the week.

CLOSED ALPHA IS UNDER A NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT (NDA)

By downloading the Battalion 1944 Closed Alpha, you've agreed to adhere to our NDA rules. This means nobody is allowed to share videos/pictures/media or discuss the game outside of the following three channels...  

We have THREE core ways to interact with the development team and other community members during the Closed Alpha.

1 - In-Game Bug Reporting

We have an in-game bug reporting system. Please report bugs in-game in as much detail as possible as your primary source of bug reporting. If you have any game breaking crashes (crashes to desktop etc) these will be automatically sent to our team to investigate.

2 - Invite Only Closed Alpha Discord

Use the Closed Alpha Discord channel provided with your survey Q&A to join the minute to minute discussion or join up and play together with other Alpha community members. Fast chats and quick discussions will be held here. Don't expect bugs to be fixed if posted in the alpha Channel. Invites to this Discord server were included with your backer survey email.

3 - Exclusive Alpha Backer Forum for Balance Discussion & Bug Reports

The purpose of this sub-forum is to allow you to send more detailed bug reports with screenshots that the in game reporter allows. This is our secondary point of contact for bugs as the in game reporting system will be our primary focus. If you’re already a forum user, you’ll be added to this over the next week by [CM] Big Tuna!  

Future Closed Alpha Plans

Each Closed Alpha playtest weekend will have an update (big or small) with new things for players to test. For example, in Alpha 0.1, we’re only testing 6v6 TDM on Brecourt Manor with 4 weapons (M1 Garand, Kar98, Thompson, mp40) and in the next weeks update we will add something new, for example: a new weapon such as a trench gun or sniper to focus test that specific addition.  

This way we’ll get more focused and manageable feedback each week.  

We’ll have more info on what features will be added and when after the first Alpha 0.1 weekend .

Quick Art / Server Room Flood Update 

For those who follow us on Twitter you’ll of heard about the ‘flood’ incident that happened on Wednesday. British weather was not on our side that day as it was raining heavily. Our office building has a balcony that started leaking due to the weather and flood the floor of our art room, 1 week before Alpha.  

e52bd4e9a9262c74d0ef3ee344b682f9_origina

Despite the water making its way towards our internal servers; our team were pretty quick to salvage everything. Re configuring our security and server set up that same evening, with our art team back up and running by 9am the following morning in a new temporary room. We have everything backed up in multiple locations so no real damage was done. The room is currently being dried and repaired to move back into next week. Thanks for all the messages from those who were concerned!  

That’s it for today’s update!

We’ll have more news and features coming soon with future development updates. Can’t wait to see all you Alpha Backers in-game May 26th at 18:00 BST!

Thanks,

KingHoward & The Bulkhead Interactive