Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Well.. that's that...

LightHammer02

• Member ID:  22608
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  410
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  6027
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/23/1983

Hey All,

So today, I unfortunately had to resign from my main employment.   Now, some of you have me on Facebook, and as of right now, nobody there is aware of this and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Some of you know I had taken a job as a 911 Dispatcher for my county in Ohio. I had recently been signed off that I could take all calls by myself whether it be an admin line or a 911 line.  I was doing great at that.  It was at this point where it started to go south...  I was told I had to have my training completed in 6 months... and this training is supposed to take 1 year.  Now, I'm a fast learner, but when I'm told "You have to learn to take calls and answer the Fire/EMS radio all at the same time... here ya go!" and thrown into it...  I got a reality shock!  I'm not as gifted at multi-tasking as I thought I was!!!!  I was getting overwhelmed and quick!  Had a supervisor barking behind me to answer the EMS radio when I had a 911 call in my ear trying to tell me where a "fire" was from a lightning strike (Which there never was one! stupid cracked out asshat!) and I had 3 Fire/EMS members also in my ear trying to tell me what was going on out in the field...   I freaked!!!  I had to step out of the room and regain my composure...  it's been a struggle to try and do this for a few weeks and I sadly came to the decision tonight while I was there that I couldn't do it anymore....  

I'm 33 years old and I don't have a career, I've never really had a steady job and I feel like I'm about to lose my wife and kids...  I don't know what I want to do.  I thought working in Law Enforcement and such would be my niche..  but apparently not...  I still have my part time job at the lake I work at as security, however, that pays $8.15/hr and it's part time... no full time positions available at this point.  I live way out in the country and anything of decent pay rates is an hour plus drive, moving isn't an option...  so I'm screwed right now!!  Do I go back to school for a trade like welding or something...  I mean, I'm so confused at this point that I have myself sick.  I'm a Type 1 Diabetic and my health is very poor right now.  I've gained weight that I'm not happy about because I never have time to go work out while trying to work 12 hours shifts damn near 7 days a week...  and both jobs are sitting on my ass all night....

Anyway... thanks all for reading my rant... I needed somewhere to vent and talk and this is the only place I can do it without being judged TOO hard...  I can't tell my family yet, they will be pissed as all hell at me

• Member ID:  906
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  143
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17025
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Achievement Points:  148132
  • Days Won:  673
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960
  • Device:  Windows

4 minutes ago, tsw 8.5 said:

Life sucks at times .but stay strong and thing's will work out

Thanks... good news is, I'll be around more to be on the server for now :lol::lol:

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  184
  • Topic Count:  2827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.53
  • Content Count:  11822
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  106278
  • Days Won:  123
  • Birthday:  08/25/1976
  • Device:  iPhone

You have to go through the rain to see the rainbow

Hope it works out in the end for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member ID:  24842
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1410
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  14709
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  09/12/1989

'Life is a piece of sh*t, when you look at it'

But even shít can be positive some day :) I've been through many struggles in my life as well. Divorced parents, depressed mom, jobless for about two years without any plans for the future. Eventually, something will cross your way and all the stuff you resented and made you question the beauty of life, you pick up and take it along with you as courage and/or to inspire and guide other people.

Stay strong buddy, things will get better. All the rain that falls today, won't be falling tomorrow!

• Member ID:  9264
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  90
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6058
  • Content Per Day:  1.53
  • Achievement Points:  50962
  • Days Won:  53
  • Birthday:  07/13/1981
  • Device:  Android

Keep your head up. Stuff like this always happens. I'm sure you will find another job. Dont let it stress you out too much at home. Romance the wife be there for the kids and take a deep breath. :D no one is perfect. We just need to take it as it goes and move forward from when life decides to test you.

I'm extremely far from perfect... been through too many jobs for a 33 year old

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Member ID:  24295
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  2311
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Achievement Points:  20239
  • Days Won:  17

7 hours ago, LightHammer02 said:

been through too many jobs for a 33 year old

First off breath!! Take a couple weeks to get your head together then go forward.

From 16 yrs old to 35 yrs old I swear I had a different job every year.

Just a suggestion...You have a very good reference from your 911 and security employment.

Maybe open up your own commercial cleaning company. Go to a couple of small businesses that have small offices and ask if they need a cleaner. They may say yes.

It will keep you active, in shape and good for the diabetes. Great for taxes. You claim everything you buy. Keep all receipts.

It worked for me. I am a diabetic type 2. In Canada I had my own commercial cleaning company for a few years before I retired. I did all the cleaning for 2 building myself. Took 6 hours a night. When I gave them the quote I figured $36 per hour plus supplies  so I asked for $5000 per month and they agreed.

If it has a kitchen say kitchen is not included. Never do the kitchen.

1 hour ago, Angelz said:

First off breath!! Take a couple weeks to get your head together then go forward.

From 16 yrs old to 35 yrs old I swear I had a different job every year.

Just a suggestion...You have a very good reference from your 911 and security employment.

Maybe open up your own commercial cleaning company. Go to a couple of small businesses that have small offices and ask if they need a cleaner. They may say yes.

It will keep you active, in shape and good for the diabetes. Great for taxes. You claim everything you buy. Keep all receipts.

It worked for me. I am a diabetic type 2. In Canada I had my own commercial cleaning company for a few years before I retired. I did all the cleaning for 2 building myself. Took 6 hours a night. When I gave them the quote I figured $36 per hour plus supplies  so I asked for $5000 per month and they agreed.

If it has a kitchen say kitchen is not included. Never do the kitchen.

Thanks

My wife and I have an idea to open a batting cage in our area.  Nearest one is like 45 minutes and the baseball here is insane!!   I've just gotta figure out a way to come up with the initial money.  Gonna try and talk with my grandma, she's loaded... but not sure if she'll be keen on the idea...  worth a shot

• Member ID:  24118
  • Group:  + COD4 Moderator
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1070
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  9940
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  01/23/1962

As a volunteer Firefighter and knowing a lot of our county dispatcher's personally....that is a super tough gig.

Don't beat yourself up about it.

You're one of the lucky ones that got out before they significantly suffered from job related PTSD...

It's a real issue with dispatchers and I have seen it first hand many times....

You'll come out of this standing tall.

• Member ID:  24102
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  58
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  241
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  1690
  • Birthday:  09/07/1985
  • Device:  Linux

not worry, this that has you, I changed work every year during 10y and I had a big health problem which put me in the shit last year. I am a technician  and I have just finished a new formation for became truck driver and I signed a long contract. You not abandon will always have an opportunity which is going to pass and it will be has you to keep . if your wife loves you she will follow and your children will support you.  hope!!! 

sorry for my bad english and i use bad translate for quickly ...

• Member ID:  24295
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  2311
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Achievement Points:  20239
  • Days Won:  17

11 hours ago, LightHammer02 said:

My wife and I have an idea to open a batting cage in our area.  Nearest one is like 45 minutes and the baseball here is insane!!   I've just gotta figure out a way to come up with the initial money.  Gonna try and talk with my grandma, she's loaded... but not sure if she'll be keen on the idea...  worth a shot

Batting cage sounds like a great idea!!! It's always worth a shot to ask for help!!! All they can say is yes or no.

11 hours ago, SGTSmeg said:

As a volunteer Firefighter and knowing a lot of our county dispatcher's personally....that is a super tough gig.

Don't beat yourself up about it.

You're one of the lucky ones that got out before they significantly suffered from job related PTSD...

It's a real issue with dispatchers and I have seen it first hand many times....

You'll come out of this standing tall.

Yeah...  it was definitely tough!  And with us working 3 people a night for en entire county...  that wasn't easy!  Having to remember all the squads, stations, PD, etc etc etc...   I just didn't think it could overwhelm me so damn much!

Thanks

• Member ID:  87
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  3789
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  27249
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  04/02/1871

go back to a tech school get a skilled trade its something you can't beat unless you want to make min wage or a little more the rest of your life .... best thing i ever did before i got sick and could not work any more i was making 30 an hr 

Edited by 7toes

14 hours ago, 7toes said:

go back to a tech school get a skilled trade its something you can't beat unless you want to make min wage or a little more the rest of your life .... best thing i ever did before i got sick and could not work any more i was making 30 an hr 

I've been thinking about welding...  however, I am HORRIBLE at math...  I can't grasp it :-/  and welding is A LOT of math

• Member ID:  3604
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  123
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1177

I would like to mirror what folks have said here to not beat yourself up about it. I don't think there's any one perfect job out there. I worked for the federal govt for quite some time and saw enough red tape and over all bullshit to make one sick. In time, I was miserable there.......so I left. It was the best decision I have ever made. Life is too short to be unhappy where your at, overwhelmed and to be barked at. I think one thing you should ask yourself is what do you define as "career". In my opinion, I would search out doing something that makes you happy. Something that at the end of the day you can be proud of what you've done. No matter how big, or small.

Poop

• Member ID:  3750
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  172
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1346
  • Birthday:  05/14/1972

Like angelz said relax first. don't go run off to tech school just because it's something to do. Figure out what you want to do. I hope you and the wife have talked and hopefully she is supportive.  Think of what you would enjoy doing. Batting cages might be a bear to set up and run. I know nothing about this but you're talking a lot of overhead to get started.

I worked in maintenance for apartments when I left the steel mill. My wife supported me in doing so since it was a massive pay cut. I just couldn't do it anymore. Maintenance was fine basically some electrical and plumbing and painting. I noticed how many bad painters we went through. these guys come in as subcontractors for other painters and whip through an apartment in like 2 hours. 150 to 200 bucks an apartment depending on size. Really subbing as a painter is relatively cheap set up. cost for a paint sprayer, some tools respirator etc. then get your llc and some insurance. that's pretty much for anything you may want to start up.  But it's got to be something you will WANT to do. Apartments, houses always need painting. I actually ended up doing bathtub repair. Really simple and almost no overhead. took a good year to get regular business but it's going well now.

if all else fails come visit here in Charleston South Carolina area. man this place is booming!!! we have a Volvo manufacturing site opening up soon, Boeing , Mercedes,  scout boats, paper plant steel mill aluminum plants. and yeah welding is a huge skill to have. I learned while in the steel mill. never needed math for it but I could weld. its not pretty but it worked. 

Sorry little longer winded than I wanted to be. bottom line life is short enjoy it and do something you want to. I love being my own boss. scared my wife to death but she likes it now.

Peace

siDARKde!!!!!!!