Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Switching maps freeze tag

ShadowLady

• Member ID:  25
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2250
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Achievement Points:  12871
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/30/1969
  • Device:  Windows

I'm very upset that the map was changed while some of the players were enjoying it!  Doing a passive "if 7 people are in spec" when playing members are voicing to continue with map is not a proper vote.   If we're going to be skipping maps then the vote option should be enabled.  I have to put up with run and gun maps all the time without complaint, and something with a challenge like trees and bushes gets skipped?  Things sure have changed at >XI< for admins and mods!  

• Member ID:  2986
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  206
  • Topic Count:  384
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6453
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Achievement Points:  50693
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  12/19/1967
  • Device:  iPhone

When people complain about pushing the map the admins should be taking a vote and if more than 50% vote to push the map will be pushed... If this is not happening I'm sorry and I will make sure they are aware of this.

Many moons ago, when I was an admin, it would be frowned opon to change a map if anyone was protesting.

Edited by ShadowLady

• Member ID:  907
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Content Count:  2731
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  26176
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/10/1969

In general it's been my philosophy that if one XI member wants to play the map, we're playing the map.

• Member ID:  1374
  • Followers:  60
  • Topic Count:  183
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1353
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  10678
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  12/10/1971

1 hour ago, Bogleg said:

In general it's been my philosophy that if one XI member wants to play the map, we're playing the map.

I will only push a map if there are more people in spec than there are playing and always give the option to join spec if you don't want to play, unless @Bogleg  wants to play then I just push the map regardless

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.09
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008

Simply put, %50 is not enough because it may not be an even split with some kind of middle ground that has no preference. Map voting would essentially be the same problem. There are practical problems with that anyways. The only maps available for voting would be that weeks rotation and its more work to put on dadda. Easy to say 'do this' when you arent the one doing the work. :lol:

The fairest thing to do, for all players, is the preset rotation. Like a preset sports season. The teams and players dont get to choose where they play and when. If they dont like it thats too bad. They are always free to forfeit or leave the league while everyone else plays. Feedback is always good but when it comes down to decision making it is not a democracy with majority rules. You do what is good for the sport not what is good for the vocal majority.

So its a simple binary question. If all play styles are permitted, and they are, then map rotations must also be fair to all play styles with no skipping. Since many great maps are designed for a particular style that means mixing up the maps.

But yes, when trying out new maps... which most here want (some dont want new maps)... some are simply 'bad' for everybody and all play styles then taken out of rotation accordingly.

• Member ID:  25212
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  1449
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  14728
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  07/13/1967

• Member ID:  1068
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  356
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  3478
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  07/10/1967

Here's my 2 cents worth, since we all seem to be eager to give our opinion. I have been a MOD (a slightly less than admin) for a short time now. I did so because I was asked to help out, my way of giving back to the group. My goal when in game is to play and make sure to help out where needed. In the short time of doing this, I've had 2 XI people go bitch about me in the forums, something I've never done to anyone in the YEARS I've played here.

In this case in particular, I may have bungled the vote ( but I tried to get it right), and attempted to do what I suspected the MAJORITY on the server wanted to do (XI or not). I have never heard before this thread the scenario that it 1 XI member wants to play, then we play. That's news to me, but if dems da rules, then dems da rules.  ShadowLady correctly voiced her opinion to not push the map while I had the game down, looking thru the console preparing to push. I did not see her comments, and if I had, I may not pushed it, because usually, Shadowlady is nice to me, and I got no problem trying make her happy. IN the next map once I realized she was pissed, I apologized profusely, and repeatedly and tried to discuss it, if nothing else to figure out what I did to piss her off. Only to be rewarded with this post. It was an honest mistake, that has haunted me for days now.

But...after a few days of reflection, I have some thoughts.

People need to think first, and consider your MODS & ADMINS are there to help you (by you I mean all of us). Its not an easy job, and most never attempt to put on airs or act as if they have some magical powers others don't. We simply try to keep the game going, and help out when asked. (Put our game, and time aside frequently to kick afks, pinged out players, push maps, load maps, setup tourneys etc)  It's impossible to make everybody happy all the time, and sometimes each and every one of us will not get our way. Try and accept that fact as an ADULT, and remember it's just a freaking game. The map will be back, and you will get to play it again. Don't use a problem as small as this to attack somebody publicly in a forum.

Now here's my opinion. (FWIW) IF YOU DO have an issue with someone (admin or not), try and address it directly with them like an adult, or perhaps privately with them or an admin. Text is a poor way of conveying tone, and may give an impression a certain way, when the opposite is the true intention. Step back from the drama, and don't try to create it. Remember, it's a game, and we're all part of something bigger here. Be cool to each other. and ROCK ON!' Play and have fun.

As for you Shadowlady, I apologized to you 3 times already BEFORE you posted this.  I am usually in Teamspeak when I'm in game, as I was that day. Should you want to discuss it further, I'm available, or see any other admin as you see fit. If I can make it up to you, I will. If not, then it is what it is. (A lesson learned for me) 

Roll Tide!

Edited by crimson

Looking back at my original post in this thread, I do not recall naming an admin/mod. To claim that I have done that is  not accurate.  The forums are here to have ADULT conversation about topics.

I had said to you in the shoutbox (when you replied to my post thus naming yourself) that there has been an ongoing occurrence of map pushing with poorly run votes and it was the "straw that broke my back" to paraphrase .  My original post was made rashly, but  I am entitled to speak my mind. The  map changing/jumping is becoming a more common practice. I could have lead with that as the general statement, but the latest occurrence was what I was focused on.   

I accepted your apology, but the topic still needed to be discussed  and a clear rule put out for all to follow.  My experience was map changing was frowned upon and if anyone wanted to play,  we played.  The maps are placed in rotation for a reason.  There are clan members who invest their time in finding,making, and running maps and if that's how they want them to run, I'm playing them that way.  (Mind you, there are some maps that are not suitable if not enough numbers and I can understand skipping if players agree ).

Being an admin/mod isn't always a cake walk,  and you can't please all the people all the time. In your eagerness to be helpful, you missed my in game  messages as you were focused elsewhere...it happens and you're only human. I've never had a problem with you Crimson, and I don't have a problem with you now.  I have a problem with map changing in general and crappy voting methods in particular. I'm generally quite quiet in the forums over the past years, but I am entitled to speak up about issues.

Hopefully there can be a clear guideline for all to follow in regards to map changes and procedure.

-Shadow

• Member ID:  2986
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  206
  • Topic Count:  384
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6453
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Achievement Points:  50693
  • Birthday:  12/19/1967
  • Device:  iPhone

Our goal, as admins and moderators, is to keep the server full and have fun.  When over 50% of the people in the server do not wish to play the map we will push to the next.  Will this happen each time the map is on? NO, it depends on the mix of players.  So even if the map is pushed this time, the next time it may not be. 

We keep an eye on the maps that are being constantly pushed and have them removed from rotation.  After a period of time they are reintroduced to see if people want to play them again.  This is the way the current group of admins has decided to handle these situations.  I'm sorry if you disagree.

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.09
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008

1 hour ago, ShadowLady said:

you can't please all the people all the time.

-Shadow

Welcome to my world. :sofa:

Just to hopefully lighten things up a bit. :thumbsup: