Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

FCC kills the internet...

Angelz

• Member ID:  24295
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  2311
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Achievement Points:  20239
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  17

I guess they think they are going to put billions in their greedy pockets. Assholes!!

I think what this is going to do to the gaming community. When they start to throttle people from outside the US trying to play in US servers. Not gonna have a happy ending that's for sure. Why would people pay to rent a US server that is being throttled?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fcc-net-neutrality-1.4448369

https://hardforum.com/threads/the-fcc-has-repealed-net-neutrality.1950448/

• Member ID:  388
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1150
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/16/1975
  • Device:  Windows

It will not just be people outside the US that will be getting throttled though.   :sofa:

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.09
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008

Throttling can be monitored these days relatively easily and the last time some company tried to get away with it they had to back down due to consumer backlash. Once Comcast starts to try throttling Netflix... or Disney... watch the shit fly. Disney is buying 20th Century Fox. So they will have a huge library to expand their own online video service. They wont be happy if ATT or Comcast throttles them. And more than that, they have pretty big clout in congress with lots of money to throw around. So FCC or not they can put such rules into law.

• Member ID:  42
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8258
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Achievement Points:  53557
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959

And they say trump is all about the little guy lol . There not laws as I know of they are rules and will be there as long as that administration is in power.

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5080
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Achievement Points:  44606
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

Tell me Comcast doesn't throttle and I'll tell you that your full of shit. They have been doing it since day 1. How else do you think they are able to offer different speed packages on the same lines? 

I'm actually on the phone with them again at I type this. On Hold again. 

I'm on the 200mb download plan and I'm getting 30/6 after they did a "firmware update" on the modem early yesterday morning. It WAS working good until they fucked with it. Was trying to play my MMO game and it Feels like a Dial-Up connection now. 

More than likely they will just send out a new box. This one is about 1 1/2 years old and it takes about 20 minutes to reboot if the power goes out.  I'm to cheap to buy the backup batteries for it. But it shouldn't take that long to reboot.

And I'm still on hold lol

• Member ID:  20166
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7652
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Achievement Points:  53663
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946

No, the FCC didn't "kill" the Internet for heaven's sake.

Net neutrality is complicated; there are good reasons to support it and good reasons to oppose it. But here's one way to look at it:
Were we in Internet hell up until two years ago when the FCC was given authority over the Intenet? Answer: no, we weren't. And so, has anything changed over the past two years? Answer: no, it has not. Therefore, will anything change going forward? I predict not that you will notice.

Last point: Since there's very little - if anything - that the government can do right, or that prospers under government control, is it a good thing to keep the FCC's hands off the Internet? Answer: Fucking A it is. 

• Member ID:  26532
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  250
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, HarryWeezer said:

Net neutrality is complicated; there are good reasons to support it and good reasons to oppose it. But here's one way to look at it:
Were we in Internet hell up until two years ago when the FCC was given authority over the Intenet? Answer: no, we weren't. And so, has anything changed over the past two years? Answer: no, it has not. Therefore, will anything change going forward? I predict not that you will notice.

Last point: Since there's very little - if anything - that the government can do right, or that prospers under government control, is it a good thing to keep the FCC's hands off the Internet? Answer: Fucking A it is. 

What this idiot said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

• Member ID:  677
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Content Count:  1457
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Achievement Points:  9890
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  02/20/1986

:thumbsup:

• Member ID:  25212
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1449
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  14728
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  07/13/1967

Spot on Harry, they just rescinded a rule that gave the Government the right to control the Internet in the US. People act like the internet sucked before that ridiculous rule was put in place.  I love the Trump comment above, it actually made me laugh. Did your ISP reduce your rate in 2015 when the rule was enacted? What did it specifically accomplish for you?  They made a regulation and cleverly named it “Net Neutrality” for this specific reason. If anyone ever tried to rescind it, the masses will immediately scream in anguish because who on earth could possibly be against “Net Neutrality”??!!!!! 

They give this shit catchy names to make it harder to repeal. Remember the “Stream Protection Rule”? Who doesn’t want to protect streams?

You will be paying more for direct access to certain sites starting with gaming. Be patient it will happen. Keeping the government out of it is a great idea letting Ma Bell or Comcast run amok in it is not good

You wont be paying more for direct access... that was another falsity that was spread. I have yet to see a country that does not have net neutrality charge more for direct access to certain sites. Hell, South Korea has the fastest internet and has some of the highest percentage of internet access (more than the US).... yet they do not have Net Neutrality. That "you will pay more" was a fear mongering attempt to scare people at what was a far fetched possibility that would never happen. FCC isnt the only thing that monitors the internet... or did you forget the FTC also manages ISPs.

http://hightechforum.org/fact-checking-net-neutrality-violations/

Edited by fireurza

• Member ID:  907
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2731
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  26176
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/10/1969

6 hours ago, fireurza said:

That "you will pay more" was a fear mongering attempt to scare people at what was a far fetched possibility that would never happen.

Sounds an awful lot like the arguments gun control advocates make for not regulating firearms more. Give an in, take a mile... you give any industry the chance they will figure out how to fuck over the little guy eventually. 

• Member ID:  3682
  • Group:  ++ COD5 Admin
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1834
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Achievement Points:  14780
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  01/12/1960
  • Device:  Android

Competition among ISP's and consumer wants will dictate what happens to our internet, not the governments will.  That is all that happened in the last couple days.  We just went back to the way that it was a few years ago, with no regulation.  Dont fall for the leftist gloom and doom end of the world bullshit stories

Its already going on and lets remember if comcast charges netflix and not their customers directly comcast's customer will pay more in the end for it. 

Netflix Agrees to Pay Comcast an Access Fee for Direct Interconnection.

Despite purchasing transit on all available routes into Comcast’s network that did not require direct or indirect payment of an access fee to Comcast, the viewing quality of Netflix’s service reached near-VHS quality levels. Faced with such severe degradation of its streaming video service, Netflix began to negotiate for paid access to connect with Comcast. Netflix and Comcast eventually reached a paid agreement. Within a week of that agreement, viewing quality for Netflix streaming video on Comcast’s network shot back up to HD-quality levels. The following graph, comparing viewing quality on Comcast’s network with that of Cablevision (an Open Connect partner) demonstrates the rapid, massive improvement:

3 hours ago, Bogleg said:

Sounds an awful lot like the arguments gun control advocates make for not regulating firearms more. Give an in, take a mile... you give any industry the chance they will figure out how to fuck over the little guy eventually. 

You think so huh? How does that explain the cellphone companies? Go from having extreme limits on minutes and texts to almost every plan is unlimited text and calling and cheaper than before.

3 hours ago, Labob said:

Its already going on and lets remember if comcast charges netflix and not their customers directly comcast's customer will pay more in the end for it. 

Netflix Agrees to Pay Comcast an Access Fee for Direct Interconnection.

Despite purchasing transit on all available routes into Comcast’s network that did not require direct or indirect payment of an access fee to Comcast, the viewing quality of Netflix’s service reached near-VHS quality levels. Faced with such severe degradation of its streaming video service, Netflix began to negotiate for paid access to connect with Comcast. Netflix and Comcast eventually reached a paid agreement. Within a week of that agreement, viewing quality for Netflix streaming video on Comcast’s network shot back up to HD-quality levels. The following graph, comparing viewing quality on Comcast’s network with that of Cablevision (an Open Connect partner) demonstrates the rapid, massive improvement:

How does it cost the customers more if Comcast charges Netflix? You can't tie Netflix rate increases to that alone. Hell since Net Neutrality went into effect in 2015 Netflix rates have gone up 3 times. Also they have a tiered subscription... you have to pay more for high resolution and yet they don't have to pay more to ISPs for the amount of bandwidth they take up... Bandwidth is not an unlimited resource and 4k resolution takes up a shit ton of bandwidth.

• Member ID:  174
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  129
  • Topic Count:  387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  14874
  • Content Per Day:  2.80
  • Achievement Points:  91001
  • Days Won:  52
  • Birthday:  04/23/1970
  • Device:  Macintosh

I am not a fan of government intervention but letting the fox tend the hen house is not a plan. These bastards will take the pennies off your eyes if given a chance.

• Member ID:  174
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  129
  • Topic Count:  387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  14874
  • Content Per Day:  2.80
  • Achievement Points:  91001
  • Days Won:  52
  • Birthday:  04/23/1970
  • Device:  Macintosh

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:38 AM, Labob said:

And they say trump is all about the little guy lol . There not laws as I know of they are rules and will be there as long as that administration is in power.

I hear you buddy, I read this today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/cdc-gets-list-of-forbidden-words-fetus-transgender-diversity/2017/12/15/f503837a-e1cf-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html?utm_term=.b148d1c8f014

Seriously?  WE cant us the phrase "Science based".  They are correct in calling the white house an "adult day care center".  Sadly that line is pathetically true.

Yea thats pretty pathetic. I suppose they are afraid of it.

• Member ID:  1387
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2540
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  19551
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  06/05/1968

Deregulation will have an upside, as it always does. It will allow smaller and medium providers to grow if they can do it better.

I just can't see how the Fed's ever get anything right, so I'm for them getting out of the way.

Let the open market grow, who knows, maybe someone comes along and Beats Comcast at their own game.

That's how innovation works. We were fine before Net Neutrality and we will be fine without it...

• Member ID:  20166
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7652
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Achievement Points:  53663
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946

17 hours ago, Labob said:

You will be paying more for direct access to certain sites starting with gaming. Be patient it will happen. Keeping the government out of it is a great idea letting Ma Bell or Comcast run amok in it is not good

Doubt it. If there are increases they will be based on bandwidth consumption - movies, for instance. Gaming uses comparatively little bandwidth.

Ok so I

ll say it the way I see it all happening. Netflix from 1080 p to 4 k yea an increase in bandwidth. So you already have 30 megs coming into your house with a IDK say 200 gig cap . So thats what your paying for and if your paying for it then its yours. But Bell or comcast or anybody else who can looks at what netflix wil be feeding you. and remember you paid for that its yours but comcast whoever says yea you want a movie so netflix if you want to keep your customer happy and give him the best quality it going to cost you 1 one 1000 of a cent per meg more if not were going to deliver what out customer wants and the fastest speed possible but from you were going to make it 480 p . So steam how many user you have don't you think your customers would hate to get all sorts of lag from your service because you dont want to pay for our best servers ??  Its greed plain and simple I'll ask the question how many times do you want to pay your isp for your bandwidth ? its the same as you just bought a new car and its all yours its awesome but if you chose to fill up at fuel station a it wil cost you an extra dolla for the key to the fuel cap but if you fuel at B it won't cost you anything to unlock your fuel cap. PURE GREED and we are now the bait in this discussion and bait we are because we are no longer consumers

• Member ID:  26584
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  313
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Achievement Points:  2380
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  08/07/1969

Honest truth is that none of us will know what's going to happen till it happens.I guess I'm nervous about it, but at this point it's out of our hands.

Awards

Assuming those smaller companies dont get bought out.

LOL it was never in our hands I can never recall when we as the users had a chance to vote on a single point of contention. For us up here were a bit different but it pisses me off our politiburuo like what your politicians do so they follow and were no better on so many other aspects of this issue. BTW its all nickle and dime shit but is also our freedom to go as we please and the net is kinda the last place we know of where we can do that. Now to do it it will cost a dime per  intrest party per hundred lol just saying