Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

COD 2 and Win 10

ColdSore

• Member ID:  3763
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  82
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  672
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Windows

After a new system build and loading win 10 I can't get COD 2 to even start without crashing, no error message except COD quit working and is shutting down.  I have installed/uninstalled using every compatibility option available, researched the web  for the past few days and tried every kind of wacky idea to no avail. Digging into the windows logs after a crash I found this message which is pretty cryptic to me, Exception code 0xc0000005 is an Access Violation. An AV at fault offset 0x00000000 means that something in your service's code is accessing a nil pointer. You will just have to debug the service while it is running to find out what it is accessing.

So as I stated I have attempted all compatibility modes(currently installed using Vista, SP2, no desk top Icons installed but do have active X12 installed), Running as admin results are the same.

Anyone have an idea to the cause? Similar issue and found the solution? 

Thanks in advance.

• Member ID:  151
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9123
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Achievement Points:  94018
  • Days Won:  314
  • Birthday:  05/17/1959
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

CS, when I upgraded to Win10, the game seemed to not notice any difference. However, at some point (I assume) a Win10 update occurred that made COD 2 quit working. It also randomly made my microphone stop - the mic would work, then something in software mde it go mute. I could re-enable mic and work, then within minutes muted again.

Anyway, when I couldn't get COD 2 to work (even had Loader help me quite a bit), so I uninstalled it to start over. However, it wouldn't install from my old CDs, always either crashing the install or appear to install and get a DirectX issue. The problem seemed to be with Win10 and DirectX. I ended up buying the game again via Steam and it installed the first time and has worked great since. I think the newer releases had something that allowed the later DirectX to operate it (the old game wants you to use DirectX 7). If you're using the old disks, you likely need to do the same ($20.00). I didn't see the error you listed, so maybe something completely different.

Hope this helps get you back on so we can shoot you!! Good luck!

100x100_1240815100_100x100_1234190239_av-060.gif

Edited by LtLaszlo

Thought that was worth a try for $12.99 but still no love. Same error at the same place. Strange.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Well I fooled around a little more and find the problem is ONLY multiplayer. Standalone works fine. 

I think I have it figured out. All DX crapola. I saved my config file beforehand and now dropping that into the new install is causing some issues but that's on me to fix the config file to work with the new install. I was able to get multiplayer running, find the server and DL maps but DX problems still haunting me. 

I expect I'll be back on sometime over the weekend, if not sooner, but my wife's PC took a dump 2 days ago so I'm replacing her hardware with my old stuff. What a pain to get it cleaned up and moved. Even more painful to hear her complain "I can't find it". Thus is the life of the PC world, grateful you're there to fix the problem but quickly forgotten when data goes missing. lmao 

Something else learned. When you install a Steam version you can not modify your name in the config file so no colors! If I paste this in ^9Cold^1Sore, it reverts back to Unknown when you enter the game. Anyone know a work around for that little bugger? 

• Member ID:  151
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  9123
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Achievement Points:  94018
  • Days Won:  314
  • Birthday:  05/17/1959
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Sorry you spent the $12.00, but not bad for a game if you love like we do! That's strange about the colors in the name, because mine is still in the same colors I've always had! ?? I do need to have Steam running, but otherwise no different so far for me. Strange stuff with these PCs. I find a lot is tied to, oddly enough, sound controls and yes, DirectX. For example, just now I started COD2 to verify the color issue above. The game crashed with only a "Stopped Working" error and no explanation or even a clue. I thought WTF, plugged in the headset, tried again and game started right up! I've notice COD5 many time loses my profile control settings out of the blue. Works for days, then mysteriously crashes or some odd behavior! I bet studies would show this crap takes minutes off our lives racking our brains on solving!! LOL! Hope to see you soon in game (though I usually only do weekend TDM in COD2)! COD5 otherwise!

Edited by LtLaszlo

• Member ID:  20107
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  2015
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  16685
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  08/01/1994

59 minutes ago, ColdSore said:

Something else learned. When you install a Steam version you can not modify your name in the config file so no colors! If I paste this in ^9Cold^1Sore, it reverts back to Unknown when you enter the game. Anyone know a work around for that little bugger? 

Modify your name in the main menu of the game, not in the config file; that'll do it. I am using the Steam version and that is what I had to do. Open the game, multiplayer options and just put your name in as you had there