Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Gettysburg

EastCoast50

• Member ID:  25026
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  530
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  7121
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  9
  • Device:  Windows

Recently, I've heard several players mention that they want to visit Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, USA. If you have never been to Gettysburg -- or haven't visited in many years -- I highly recommend that you go. Fortunately, I live close by and frequently visit. Whether you make a day trip or a weekend out of it, there are plenty of places to stay, shops, restaurants, etc. I have some personal tips to offer, for what it's worth:

- Try to schedule your trip in the spring or fall when the weather is warm. Gettysburg is packed with tourists during the summer months, and it's not very fun being out on the battlefield in 90 degree heat. 

- I highly recommend going to the "new" Gettysburg National Military Park Museum & Visitor Center. The museum has a large display of Civil War relics. I also recommend you watch the film A New Birth of Freedom in their theater, then move on to see the cyclorama. 

- Don't pay for a guided tour. It's really unnecessary as the signage and monuments are fairly self-explanatory. From time-to-time, you will come across a guided tour in progress and you can eavesdrop on the guide's lecture. :)

- When you self-guide your way through the battlefields ... drive. You can stop, park and walk throughout the entire area. It's way too big to walk.

- Visit the National Cemetery. Walk among the graves of the KIA and read their headstones. It makes you think.

- Check out the shops and restaurants along Steinwehr Ave and around the downtown circle. You'll find a place that you'll enjoy. Trust me.

- Finally, (if you have the time) a fairly short drive into southern Washington County, Maryland, will take you to Antietam Battlefield. For you military history buffs, along the way you can pass by and see Site R (PA Route 16), old Fort Ritchie and Site C above (MacAfee Hill Rd, Cascade, MD), Camp David (Park Central Rd Catoctin Mountain Park), and wind your way further south through Sharpsburg and onto Antietam. 

Just some friendly tips. Enjoy your trip!

https://www.nps.gov/gett/index.htm

20150727_123532.jpg

• Member ID:  26443
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  460
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  5923
  • Content Per Day:  2.53
  • Achievement Points:  50670
  • Days Won:  118
  • Birthday:  09/26/1971
  • Device:  Android

Little Round Top.  Colonel Chamberlain, Captain Spear, Captain Morrill. Strong Vincent; Colonel Patrick O'rorke. Many people didn't get the credit they deserved.  A lot of shit went down leading up to and during that crucial bayonet charge of a critical battle of Gettysburg.  Chamberlain himself was gonna have his face blown off, but the pistol misfired.  The left flank of the 20th's charge was almost repelled, but for a surprise volley in the ass of the Confederates by Captain Morrill's Company B; Color Sergeant Tozier standing firm as a rallying point while under heavy fire; The presence of the 2nd Maine's seasoned mutineers dispersed among the 20th's ranks;  Stoughton's sharpshooters;  You could read for days on that charge, Little Round Top, Gettysburg and the events, decisions leading up to & influencing them.

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5080
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Achievement Points:  44606
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

The Licensed Guided Double Decker Tour is absolutely epic. We were on the top floor which has no roof.  Just make 100% sure that it is not going to rain and bring plenty of Sun Block.  Save up a few bucks and do it.  It will be the most memorable thing you do for a long time.

http://www.gettysburgbattlefieldtours.com/gettysburg-tours/gettysburg-tours/licensed-guided-double-decker-tour/

Last time I did the tour I was 14 years old and went with the whole family including my Grandpa and Grandma. I still remember most of that trip like it was yesterday and that was 32 years ago.  It takes 3-4 days to see everything so plan on staying for the week. You will not regret it. There are wooded camp grounds all over the place about 5 miles south of Gettysburg. Perfect for a motor home or travel trailer or even a large tent. If I go again I'll be camping out in a tent and I'll be bringing my scooter. A bit to much to walk everywhere and traffic can be ridicules especially around the 4th of July up untill Oktoberfest.    

lol THIS might be fun if ya have a place to pass out.  Hmmmmm  Possible XI Fest Location?

Gettysburg Brew Fest 2018 Aug 18

Held on Seminary Ridge Battleground

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gettysburg-brew-fest-2018-tickets-40855740620?aff=es2

Edited by J3st3rXI

• Member ID:  25355
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5785
  • Content Per Day:  2.17
  • Achievement Points:  63247
  • Days Won:  132
  • Birthday:  01/05/1954

I wanted to go, but couldn't find the address. :(

Get it?

On 3/12/2018 at 4:51 AM, RobMc said:

I wanted to go, but couldn't find the address. :(

Get it?

Classic. lol

You got me interested in this, so I did some reading and it's fascinating, I'm glad that I did not have to fight there, the Civil war seemed particularly brutal for the participants. I'd like to learn more, any tips for good sources ( not YouTube etc )

• Member ID:  87
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3789
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  27249
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  04/02/1871

i would like to go ghost hunting there:sofa:

26 minutes ago, 7Toes said:

Hell - you guys will hunt anything lol?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, not having paid much attention to the Civil war (and American history in general) I've read a lot more and I am very surprised. This appears to be a case that history is written by the victors, and my preconceptions are in tatters. As an unbiased outsider I see an autocratic regime, outnumbering the opposition, using shocking tactics to civilians and post victory wiping out all in their path (native americans one example). I truly am shocked, this is not the good guys winning but political expediency and corruption at it's worst. No the wonder bitterness still remains, all sides have been sold out at all stages. Am I wrong in my conclusion, there appear to be no winners other than the rich men sponsoring the whole event. As in all wars the weasels live and the brave die, we never learn do we? 

I realise that people at the time need to do what they think correct, but this was a very complex war, bitterly contested and Gettysburg only one example. I still cannot fathom out the underlying cause (and I do not mean slavery), there must have been deep seated resentment, what was it? Money? jealousy? fear? or simply ambitions. Natural sympathies favour the underdog (south), but I find very little to see why the majority favoured the North, am I missing something in the mood of the day?

Each book I read is biased, not unnaturally, one way or the other, dependant on the author, is there a good unbiased book that concentrates on facts? I am now fascinated by this as logic seems to have been thrown out of the window.

Oh yes, sorry forgot to mention boobs and bums, otherwise most will ignore this :lol:

Edited by RobMc
Idiocy

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/25/2018 at 6:26 PM, RobMc said:

Ok, not having paid much attention to the Civil war (and American history in general) I've read a lot more and I am very surprised. This appears to be a case that history is written by the victors, and my preconceptions are in tatters. As an unbiased outsider I see an autocratic regime, outnumbering the opposition, using shocking tactics to civilians and post victory wiping out all in their path (native americans one example). I truly am shocked, this is not the good guys winning but political expediency and corruption at it's worst. No the wonder bitterness still remains, all sides have been sold out at all stages. Am I wrong in my conclusion, there appear to be no winners other than the rich men sponsoring the whole event. As in all wars the weasels live and the brave die, we never learn do we? 

I realise that people at the time need to do what they think correct, but this was a very complex war, bitterly contested and Gettysburg only one example. I still cannot fathom out the underlying cause (and I do not mean slavery), there must have been deep seated resentment, what was it? Money? jealousy? fear? or simply ambitions. Natural sympathies favour the underdog (south), but I find very little to see why the majority favoured the North, am I missing something in the mood of the day?

Each book I read is biased, not unnaturally, one way or the other, dependant on the author, is there a good unbiased book that concentrates on facts? I am now fascinated by this as logic seems to have been thrown out of the window.

Oh yes, sorry forgot to mention boobs and bums, otherwise most will ignore this :lol:

It was a terrible time in American history. Unfortunately, we are close to having a second American Civil War. This time, it is not about industry and slavery ... it will be about the Constitutional rights of American CITIZENS ... free speech, citizenship and firearms. I don't want it, but it's close to happening. I only hope that my children survive the corrupt, biased and confused American that has been overrun the sick, anti-American ideology that has been growing in our own country the last few years. Moreover, I hope WE destroy it before our children have to ...    

On 3/14/2018 at 8:04 AM, 7Toes said:

I went on a ghost tour a couple of years ago. Honestly, I believe in ghosts for personal reasons. However, during the tour, when the group was in a secluded room with the guide, the door slammed closed. A living human being did not close the door. Just saying.

41 minutes ago, EastCoast50 said:

It was a terrible time in American history. Unfortunately, we are close to having a second American Civil War. This time, it is not about industry and slavery ... it will be about the Constitutional rights of American CITIZENS ... free speech, citizenship and firearms. I don't want it, but it's close to happening. I only hope that my children survive the corrupt, biased and confused American that has been overrun the sick, anti-American ideology that has been growing in our own country the last few years. Moreover, I hope WE destroy it before our children have to ...    

Compared to Europe mate it's heaven, at least you have some freedoms left, but yes you'll have to fight the weasels to keep them at some stage.

ps still can't find a good book on Gettysburg but at least I understand the battle now

Edited by RobMc