Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Windows 10 update or not?

Sourtap

• Member ID:  24842
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1413
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  14731
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  09/12/1989
  • Device:  Windows

So I've been getting a lot of pop ups (every hour) about downloading the update. If I am in game it gets minimized and the pop up shows. Last time I did the update my PC went to the blue screen of death, f'd up my hard drive which isn't functioning anymore and lost my PC for about a week. Now since you idiots can't miss me for that period, I am wondering wether or not to download it. So did anyone downloaded it, got problems or not? I'm tending to not download it, but then the other question comes...how the hell do I postpone it for longer than an hour? Tried setting the 'active hours' but it won't let me...

• Member ID:  20166
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7652
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Achievement Points:  53663
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946

Installed it and no problems. Gamed with no issues. 

• Member ID:  82
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

I got an update on Monday, ever since then i cannot switch my PC off in the normal way (picture below) my monitor knocks itself off but my PC wont power off, thought i had turned it off after update on Monday and it was still running 3 hours later with just a black screen when i switched my Monitor back on, i now have to switch it off everyday with the power button on the top of my PC, don't think that is ideal but it don't seem to have caused me any problems but it pisses me off how these updates always seem to affect some people and not others, JohnnyDos got same update last week and it caused him sound problems and also stopped his PC going into sleep mode.

shut.png.4361321314c3398ff032c267c21a6db7.png

1 hour ago, Sonovabich said:

I got an update on Monday, ever since then i cannot switch my PC off in the normal way (picture below) my monitor knocks itself off but my PC wont power off, thought i had turned it off after update on Monday and it was still running 3 hours later with just a black screen when i switched my Monitor back on, i now have to switch it off everyday with the power button on the top of my PC, don't think that is ideal but it don't seem to have caused me any problems but it pisses me off how these updates always seem to affect some people and not others, JohnnyDos got same update last week and it caused him sound problems and also stopped his PC going into sleep mode.

shut.png.4361321314c3398ff032c267c21a6db7.png

Ye thats what Im afraid off. Last time my Pc could be salvaged by some IT guy but not wanna go through all that shit again..

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  6417
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Achievement Points:  54334
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

Yea same shit here however this update has been postponed for me...I do know it is gutting drivers so afterwards go to the manufacturers site and get current correct drivers or you will have problems with some features...

The fucks have installed a hot key on my keyboard so that is how it is turned on but it did mess my graphics up last time and still have not got it right so that is why I have postponed this update and will til I have no choice...

It gives me a week at most to update so im set for saturday the 26th and will postpone again if I can...

• Member ID:  59
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  2109
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  15107
  • Days Won:  13

Turn that auto / check for updates off !!!   I know many just try to set "Windows Update" to manual, but that wont stick.  Windows 10 will restart the damn thing.   Here is the only way I could get Windows 10 updates to stop and stay that way. 

Go to services and double click "Windows Update",force it to stop, then choose the "log on tab". Check the "This Account" box, then in that field type .\Guest 
In the password field leave it as is. Though the password field generates characters, they dont function. Just leave them. Click apply and thats it. Hope it helps.

Fcking thing started running now without having agreed upon anything. Fck that shit.

Guess I'll be off for a while :ermm:

20180524_214019.jpg

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Content Count:  6417
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Achievement Points:  54334
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

Just check your drivers when its done

22 minutes ago, loaderXI said:

Just check your drivers when its done

Looks like it went alright. Dunno how to check drivers tho or what they even are. Im a pc noob :)

Looks like I spoke too soon yesterday, I said in my post that after last update it wouldn’t let me shut my pc down in the normal way and that I had to manually switch it off with the button on top of my pc case and said so far I had not encountered any problems, well I switch on today and all I get is a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner like in the old days when we used dos, I am typing this on the wife’s iPad thank goodness she had it, I restarted and went into the bios.....fine no problems there but as soon as I click to go into boot menu or advanced options I just get a fucking black screen again only this time there is no flashing cursor, I am hesitant to touch anything else now in case the same thing happens, we should be able to sue these fuckers at Microsoft, they totally fucked up with this update even blocking my own attempts to fix it, I am thinking of restarting with my windows 10 disk in the machine in the hope something happens, if not it looks like an expensive trip to the repair man, I really have no idea what else I can do, I am so fucking angry at the moment.

Sucks to hear man..few months ago I felt the same as you, having to face that fcking blue screen for a week. I might have dodged the bullit on this update. Hope you can fix it soon!

• Member ID:  1850
  • Followers:  98
  • Topic Count:  328
  • Content Count:  8620
  • Content Per Day:  1.74
  • Achievement Points:  55994
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/19/1948

I think I will stay with my windows 7. I haven't had any problems with it so if it ain't broke leave it alone.

• Member ID:  23628
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Achievement Points:  2272
  • Days Won:  0

I never install major updates through Windows Update, always use Windows 10  Update Assistant. After these major OS updates A lot of settings are returned to defaults and standard Microsoft drivers. It's a good idea to have all your drivers downloaded before the update. You can also use the Media Creation Tool to create installation media for a clean install of the latest build.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

In an email sent to my Microsoft account about a month ago was Microsoft's updated Terms of Use policy. It basically said that if your not happy with Windows you can always uninstall and use something else.

Edited by Tw33tle_Dee

• Member ID:  6247
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  648
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5455

20 hours ago, Jeroen v.2 said:

So I've been getting a lot of pop ups (every hour) about downloading the update. If I am in game it gets minimized and the pop up shows. Last time I did the update my PC went to the blue screen of death, f'd up my hard drive which isn't functioning anymore and lost my PC for about a week. Now since you idiots can't miss me for that period, I am wondering wether or not to download it. So did anyone downloaded it, got problems or not? I'm tending to not download it, but then the other question comes...how the hell do I postpone it for longer than an hour? Tried setting the 'active hours' but it won't let me...

me too, Microsoft imho sucks.  That they make such problems, and the few on the top are the richest folks on earth disgusts me.  :(    Income disparity is the cause of most revolutions.  Humans, so complicated and dangerous.  Now off to shoot at ya'll.  yehaw :2guns:

Well my PC is taking the piss now, i have had the problem of just looking at the black screen since 8 AM this morning, it is now 2.31 PM, six and a half hours where it would just switch off if i tried the boot menu or advanced options in the BIOS only for it finally to just sit looking at me with the message you get when you boot up your PC ie press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS in the end it wouldnt even let me do that, i have been searching the frikken house for the number of the lad who sorted it out for me last November...with no luck grr, sitting watching the cricket on TV i thought hang on a sec i have an old PC in my wardrobe why don't i put that back on while i am trying to get this thing fixed, got the old PC down and it is just a dusty mess, all the leads are in a bag full of PC stuff somewhere and i seen that my 32 inch Monitor would not work on the old PC anyway i had monitor unplugged to check if lead would fit, put lead back in monitor and said bollocks i will try to switch this fucking twatting PC on one more time and the piss taking twat came on WTF now i am scared to switch it off again lol, i might have to leave it on all the time....wtf goes on with these machines i am totally baffled but fuck it is working, maybe i scared it when i got the old PC down lol.

Edited by Sonovabich

• Member ID:  59
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  2109
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  15107
  • Days Won:  13

Once you get them ironed out, shut off updates like I showed above.   Or you will be going through this again at some point with a future update.  

My first PC was a 16K color computer in 1982; used a TV and a tape deck. I've still got it. After that, I built my PCs because it was a lot cheaper. I built at least 10 of them for the wife and I. Then maybe 10 or 15 years ago or so it became cheaper to buy them built. But in all of that time, from DOS, through Windows 1.0 and on down I've never had a problem that I can recall with operating system updates. Maybe that's because I learned very early on not to fuck with your computer. Back when everyone was overlocking, I wasn't. When people were dicking with driver settings, I wasn't. And I just never had a problem.
   Now I did have problems with graphics over the years which taught me to never upgrade video drivers; if they weren't broke, I didn't fix them.

16 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Once you get them ironed out, shut off updates like I showed above.   Or you will be going through this again at some point with a future update.  

I went to place where you showed above and changed the status from Automatic to Automatic (delayed) i am hoping this is what i had it on before because i could keep postponing the updates for week after week until i checked that the updates were causing other people no problems, why can't i just tick the "disabled" option, shouldn't that stop the updates, i am not too comfortable blocking the updates, i am sure these useless twats at Microsoft must get some right now and again and if we don't need them why do they do make us have these updates?

auto.png.b2bed231932d111075a97da5080da235.png

2 minutes ago, HarryWeezer said:

My first PC was a 16K color computer in 1982; used a TV and a tape deck. I've still got it. After that, I built my PCs because it was a lot cheaper. I built at least 10 of them for the wife and I. Then maybe 10 or 15 years ago or so it became cheaper to buy them built. But in all of that time, from DOS, through Windows 1.0 and on down I've never had a problem that I can recall with operating system updates. Maybe that's because I learned very early on not to fuck with your computer. Back when everyone was overlocking, I wasn't. When people were dicking with driver settings, I wasn't. And I just never had a problem.
   Now I did have problems with graphics over the years which taught me to never upgrade video drivers; if they weren't broke, I didn't fix them.

Yeah but thats my point Harry, i never fucked with anything, everything was running fine until the last update and it is the only time i have had a problem with Windows 10, it's strange that some people get problems and others dont with the same updates, i suppose it is because no two PC's are the same, we all have different graphic cards, processors etc, it just pisses me off that they drop this crap on us and just leave us to sort it out ourselves.

• Member ID:  64
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1036
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  9640
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/09/1969

Just about every major update I've seen so far with win10 seems to jack up my sound card speaker/mic settings. I have to go through and change the default devices or reinstall the driver. I prefer win7 anytime compared to this os.

That’s the only difference I’ve seen. The game sounds have changed slightly for the better.

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  5083
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Achievement Points:  44628
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

This helps ALOT.

Set it to ( Semi-Annual Channel ) instead of ( Semi-Annual Channel "Targeted" ) If your not interested in being a Guinea Pig for Beta updates.  "Targeted" means you are targeted to receive partly tested "Beta" updates that are Not ready for Widespread distribution and use.

I do not have mine paused and I haven't received the new update yet because it's not ready for widespread distribution and use.

update.thumb.jpg.c43863b4a8ef79cca5eb921d0cf28dd7.jpg  

11 hours ago, J3st3rXI said:

This helps ALOT.

Set it to ( Semi-Annual Channel ) instead of ( Semi-Annual Channel "Targeted" ) If your not interested in being a Guinea Pig for Beta updates.  "Targeted" means you are targeted to receive partly tested "Beta" updates that are Not ready for Widespread distribution and use.

I do not have mine paused and I haven't received the new update yet because it's not ready for widespread distribution and use.

update.thumb.jpg.c43863b4a8ef79cca5eb921d0cf28dd7.jpg  

Well i don't get the option to choose when updates are installed in my settings and on the middle tab in my picture below where it says "Automatically download updates, even over metered data connections (charges may apply)" as you can see it is set to Automatically update, if i click the box to switch that off it just jumps back to on, so they obviously don't want to us to block them from updating, i can't see the point of them giving us the option if we cant use it.

update.png.f8537fa806525ddabe817baf2aba70ea.png

Edited by Sonovabich

• Member ID:  20987
  • Group:  +++ Insurgency Head Admin
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  190
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1794
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14304
  • Birthday:  01/09/1996

7 hours ago, Sonovabich said:

Well my PC is taking the piss now, i have had the problem of just looking at the black screen since 8 AM this morning, it is now 2.31 PM, six and a half hours where it would just switch off if i tried the boot menu or advanced options in the BIOS only for it finally to just sit looking at me with the message you get when you boot up your PC ie press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS in the end it wouldnt even let me do that, i have been searching the frikken house for the number of the lad who sorted it out for me last November...with no luck grr, sitting watching the cricket on TV i thought hang on a sec i have an old PC in my wardrobe why don't i put that back on while i am trying to get this thing fixed, got the old PC down and it is just a dusty mess, all the leads are in a bag full of PC stuff somewhere and i seen that my 32 inch Monitor would not work on the old PC anyway i had monitor unplugged to check if lead would fit, put lead back in monitor and said bollocks i will try to switch this fucking twatting PC on one more time and the piss taking twat came on WTF now i am scared to switch it off again lol, i might have to leave it on all the time....wtf goes on with these machines i am totally baffled but fuck it is working, maybe i scared it when i got the old PC down lol.

Well that's Windows 10 for you , the OS is barely even in Beta so that's why they force updates. I remember when 1 update basically fucked up one of my HDD where it began making clicking noises , I had enough and went back to 8.1 and everything was working perfect and haven't had an issue since.

The only decent Windows 10 is the Enterprise edition where you can actually disable the updates and telemetry.

The recent Windows 10 updates seem to be hit or miss for most peoples computers which is unacceptable in my eyes , its no wonder why many businesses stick to windows 7