Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

COD 2 - Steam overwriting config adjustments

ColdSore

• Member ID:  3763
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  82
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  672
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Windows

OK, for the past year,after rebuilding and reinstalling the OS, I have failed countless times attempting to reload COD2 from the CD. All attempts to get it working failed regardless of the tricks others have posted on the internet having success( I spent a good 2 months trying to figure this out and I have an IT/coding background). I decided to purchase a copy on Steam, which loaded fine, but ANYTHING I do to the config file is wiped clean when I log into COD2 through steam! FCK STEAM but that's another topic. If I add color to my name, all settings are set back to factory spec. Loading the last map I received an error that the hunk megs were not set high enough, 160. I backed out of the game, made the adjustment to 512 but sure as shit Steam reset ALL setting back to factory. I'm about to give up. Yeah I know it's an old game, yada, yada, yada, but it's one of MY favorites and I really enjoy the folks that play on that server. I don't give a crap about colors in my name but when I get an error like I did it should be an easy fix, when you aren't running through steam!

There are a lot of smart people here(ok a FEW smart people here, lol) and hoping someone has run into something similar and may have a clue how to avoid the steam re-wrights.  BTW if I reset the settings in game they stick, but you can't fix Hunk_ megs nor add color to your name through the in game menu.  The exact error is Hunk_allocAlign Failed on 264320 bytes, total 160MB, low 0MB, high 159MB. 

Edited by ColdSore

• Member ID:  20107
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2015
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  16685
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  08/01/1994

@loaderXI should be your first port of call here with.

I for one don't understand why Steam is overwriting the game files. I have the Steam version but don't launch it using Steam so mine is generally okay. Had a few times where my controls will reset but that's about it. I connect direct to the server using the program HLSW, give that a go. It should be in the download section. It allows you to connect directly to the server without having to go through the main menu. Steam should be open if you are using the Steam version though.

You can actually change your name and fix hunk_meg issues without opening the game in the config files. Go to where CoD2 is saved on the PC Like: Program Files (x86) > Steam > Steamapps > Common > Call of Duty 2 > 28 > Players > [Your Name] > config_mp

Open that up in notepad or notepad ++ and search for seta com_hunkMegs "160" and set that to seta com_hunkMegs "512"
Changing the name is in the same file. Look for seta name "Unknown Soldier" and change it to seta name "ColdSore"

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  6416
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Achievement Points:  54322
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

If you continue to have issues I have a ISO I can share with you...You will just have to use your keycode from your disk....Sounds like some of the problems are steam has over write privledge as to which if you go to the file and check properties and permissions you "should" be able to disable them but I would have to venture down that road with you...It will be where you give yourself permission to modify the folder/files...

Let me know what you need and we can fix you up

• Member ID:  3763
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  82
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  672
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for the info! I didn't even consider looking at the file properties. I'll poke around that thought and see if I can find the issue. I don't launch through steam but steam launches when I start the game. Is there a way to disable steam from starting? That's another thing I didn't look at before. Too involved trying to find the technical reason instead of the easy solution lol forest for the trees. 

• Member ID:  20107
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2015
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  16685
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  08/01/1994

On 10/3/2018 at 11:17 PM, ColdSore said:

Thanks for the info! I didn't even consider looking at the file properties. I'll poke around that thought and see if I can find the issue. I don't launch through steam but steam launches when I start the game. Is there a way to disable steam from starting? That's another thing I didn't look at before. Too involved trying to find the technical reason instead of the easy solution lol forest for the trees. 

Unfortunately you will need Steam open for it to launch as you have got it on Steam. If you exit steam and close the application and try to start the game you will get an error message saying: "Failed to find Steam" so unfortunately Steam will be required to launch the game which is a bit of a pain in the ass :lol: