Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

PC build recommendations?

Sikon

• Member ID:  27340
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  5463
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/11/1980
  • Device:  iPhone

I am thinking and starting to a new build. If anyone has the time or is board, I would like to see recommendations on what you have or would build money aside. 

I do not have the money for it now. But can save for it over the next month or two to order stuff every paycheck or two. 

• Member ID:  26443
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  460
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  5923
  • Content Per Day:  2.53
  • Achievement Points:  50670
  • Days Won:  118
  • Birthday:  09/26/1971
  • Device:  Android

List a budget range, buddy.  Prices will be changing over the next month or two.  So a time frame would also be great.  No sense in buying certain components when they will be dropping over the next couple months.  Which platform you want - AMD or Intel - is also a decision you need to make.  Whether you want a rig for gaming solely, gaming & other pc tasks is another consideration.

Edited by Timmah!

• Member ID:  24295
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  2311
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Achievement Points:  20239
  • Days Won:  17

You actually do not want to order parts by pay cheque. It would be better if you saved all the money and ordered it all at same time. That way if a part doesn't work you can take it back to be replaced easier than if you purchased at different times (give you headaches trying to explain why it took you so long to report a broken part).

It took a bit to get w7 to work cause the mobo supports w10 but I got w7 to work and I am happy happy happy. I will never allow w10 on any pc of mine. EVER!! lol

Motherboard...........ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING
Memory...................G.SKILL Trident Z Series 16GB DDR4 3200
Processor................AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core
CPU Cooler:............Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4? premium-grade 140mm dual tower
Video Card...............Nvidia dual gforce gtx 1060
Power Supply...........PC Power and Cooling 860w Turbo
Hard Drives..............Samsung 850 evo 1tb SSD, 3 WD 2TB, 4TB, 500gb
Sound Card..............Asus Xonar DS
Computer Case.......Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower

I use my pc for gaming, art/graphics design, video making/rendering, for everything I do on a daily basis.

Edited by Angelz

• Member ID:  22889
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  348
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Achievement Points:  2824
  • Days Won:  1
  • Device:  Windows

8 hours ago, Angelz said:

You actually do not want to order parts by pay cheque. It would be better if you saved all the money and ordered it all at same time. That way if a part doesn't work you can take it back to be replaced easier than if you purchased at different times (give you headaches trying to explain why it took you so long to report a broken part).

It took a bit to get w7 to work cause the mobo supports w10 but I got w7 to work and I am happy happy happy. I will never allow w10 on any pc of mine. EVER!! lol

Motherboard...........ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING
Memory...................G.SKILL Trident Z Series 16GB DDR4 3200
Processor................AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core
CPU Cooler:............Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4? premium-grade 140mm dual tower
Video Card...............Nvidia dual gforce gtx 1060
Power Supply...........PC Power and Cooling 860w Turbo
Hard Drives..............Samsung 850 evo 1tb SSD, 3 WD 2TB, 4TB, 500gb
Sound Card..............Asus Xonar DS
Computer Case.......Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower

I use my pc for gaming, art/graphics design, video making/rendering, for everything I do on a daily basis.

funny i said no to W7 to.....then uhmmm succumbed to the darkside lol.....tip if you do go for newer OS use DLCOMPARE for the key!  got mine for $7! downloaded Win 10 64  bit fro MS used the key i bought just remember to sync the account with hotmail that way  you can always re activate as its tied to system parts.As for build way i look at it MB/CPU important you want that to last maybe 4 yrs before next upgrade,Graphic cards  A do you really need the dog bollocks top range  B to[ range card is going to be in 2 yrs down to the  last 2 yrs prices,as for storage M2 sata are getting cheaper and faster and a heck lot smaller[ about  5 inch long]......oh look into water cooling to,i just used the rubber tubbing not confident on the the hard PET tube my watercooling come in at around in your $ about $200.......one tip will give is CASE you need air to move....that case is a 2yr old themaltake X81 full tower....this build is all AMD me and intel dont get on! lol it  hates me

20191227_145743.jpg

• Member ID:  2902
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  228
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1667
  • Birthday:  06/11/1952

Best bang for the buck all around cpu's.... Amd Ryzen. A R7 3700x or better will hold you for years.  AMD X570 chipset Mobo. The ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, WiFi 6, 2.5Gbps LAN, Dual M.2, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 2 has nice features, but pricy. Start with 16gb of DDR4 3200 or better get 32gb. Water cool the thing and what ever video card that you like. RTX 2070 super works for me. Add a PCI-Express 4.0 x4 NVMe ssd and a bluray burner and a 750w to 800w PS and you should be good to go.  Of course this is my Top Tier with my budget I would have to scale back a bit on things.

An Intel build would give you a few more FPS in some games but for video processing and multi-tasking AMD is looking at Intel in the rear view mirror.  JMHO and I could be wrong....  

3 hours ago, Krackennutz said:

funny i said no to W7 to.....then uhmmm succumbed to the darkside lol.....tip if you do go for newer OS use DLCOMPARE for the key!  got mine for $7! downloaded Win 10 64  bit fro MS used the key i bought just remember to sync the account with hotmail that way  you can always re activate as its tied to system parts.As for build way i look at it MB/CPU important you want that to last maybe 4 yrs before next upgrade,Graphic cards  A do you really need the dog bollocks top range  B to[ range card is going to be in 2 yrs down to the  last 2 yrs prices,as for storage M2 sata are getting cheaper and faster and a heck lot smaller[ about  5 inch long]......oh look into water cooling to,i just used the rubber tubbing not confident on the the hard PET tube my watercooling come in at around in your $ about $200.......one tip will give is CASE you need air to move....that case is a 2yr old themaltake X81 full tower....this build is all AMD me and intel dont get on! lol it  hates me

My hubby got a copy of w10 executive version from a dude at his work. He has tried many many times to talk me into installing it but I say NO everytime lol

I also said NO to water cooling. My cooler is huge and blows freezing cold air. It moves the air perfectly.

I like my pc case. It it huge and sits on 4 wheels so I can roll it around because it is so heavy.

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1065
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8394
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  74551
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973

As @Angelz said, getting all the pieces around the same time for the sake of replacement if it's a dud is not a bad idea.  I also suggest that if when buying pieces and there is a bit of time lag between buying parts, start with the parts that don't change quickly such as the case.  I start with the tower, then my PSU, then mobo/ram/cpu (keeping these 3 close is good in order to make sure you're not too outdated between the mobo and CPU socket and ram is the right speeds for the board), and lastly GPU (because these change frequently and may find a good bang for the buck when you do go to buy one).  The order may vary somewhat but this is the way went last time.  But if you save up, then this is no worry and you build what you want.  And @Timmah! is spot on, planning.

Good luck and happy building.

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.09
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008

Have used both amd and intel processors over the years. Either would serve you well. A couple things. amd runs hot, something to keep in mind if you live in an are that gets high ambient temps. It is generally accepted that at best cpu temps will get no lower, or very little, than your ambient temperature. In video compression (bluray etc) the temp difference was noticeable. They also have heavy power consumption in comparison and over time can affect your electric bills depending on how you use your pc and how much. Not a knock on amd, just things to consider depending on your specific circumstances.

• Member ID:  20697
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2729
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Have used both amd and intel processors over the years. Either would serve you well. A couple things. amd runs hot, something to keep in mind if you live in an are that gets high ambient temps. It is generally accepted that at best cpu temps will get no lower, or very little, than your ambient temperature. In video compression (bluray etc) the temp difference was noticeable. They also have heavy power consumption in comparison and over time can affect your electric bills depending on how you use your pc and how much. Not a knock on amd, just things to consider depending on your specific circumstances.

Wao, thats informative. I have no experience with AMD. I always assumed that Intel ran hot and used more power. Interesting....

The last two gens of AMD's run a lot cooler than the older ones. The RYZEN 7 3700X now only draws 65w max as compared to the old FX 8350 125 watts.  Amd has come a long way in the past two years.

4 hours ago, Sammy said:

I have never had that issue with my AMD ever!! There are 3 AMD high end pc's running in my house 24/7 and it a little effect on our $80 monthly hydro bill. My CPU does not go above 45 cel.

Maybe you should do some more info checking online.

3 hours ago, azzkikr said:

Wao, thats informative. I have no experience with AMD. I always assumed that Intel ran hot and used more power. Interesting....

You should give AMD a turn if you build another pc in the future.  Quite a bit lower in price compared to intel and it blows intel ass to pieces.

• Member ID:  221
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1864
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  12302
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/10/1967

OK I am a Intel fanboy . So with that being said here is my recent build just for a little perspective.

CPU - I9-9900k Intel

Ram -Gskill 16gigs -3600mhz

motherboard- Asus Rog Strix Z390

GPU - Asus Rog Strix RTx2080ti oc

Cooling- Corsair H150i pro

Case fans -140mm x4

Case- NZXT H700 

2-Samsung 1tb ssd

1-samsung M.2 1tb 

1corsair 100watt PSU

Windows 10 pro

I have never had an issue with any of this setup (Knock on wood). but this set up ran me some were in the neighborhood of about 3,500 us dollars . so a budget price might be helpful so we can give you some doable options  .   

IMG_0117.jpg

Edited by Evil-Monkey

• Member ID:  3036
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.09
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008

7 hours ago, CW4 said:

The last two gens of AMD's run a lot cooler than the older ones. The RYZEN 7 3700X now only draws 65w max as compared to the old FX 8350 125 watts.  Amd has come a long way in the past two years.

That is good to hear. It will hopefully be awhile before I have to do another full system rebuild and I am always looking at cost/benefit.

As for suggesting I need to check more online... one of the greatest cesspools in existence... surely you jest.  Too many intel/amd fanboys.  Yes that was sarcastic. ?

12 hours ago, Sammy said:

Not true; quite the opposite in reality.  Compare the Q4 2018 production Core i5 9600k with the Q3 2019 Ryzen 5 3600 & you will see that the AMD Ryzen 5 @ 65 watts runs 30 less than the i5 @ 95.  I compare these two because they are close in gaming performance.  People will say that because the AMD's memory control is slower, one takes a ~10% hit in frames per second.  In practice, this only happens if the graphics are turned all the way up & the GPU becomes the bottleneck.  In addition to running 30 watts cooler & being neck & neck in gaming, the AMD chip has twice as many threads & easily outperforms Intel chips at the same price point in workstation & multitasking.  I'm a fan of neither; I'm a fan of best value.  With the new AMD architecture, it clearly is the best value.

Here's a side by side comparison of the two chips:  https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S151675-M810675.631838.517228.161079.89269vsS0-M?tab=MBD

Edited by Timmah!

Here's a solid build for 1080p gaming; only thing missing is the tower & psu.  If you want to do higher resolution gaming, you can always buy a better graphics card.  For $60 more, you can double the ram from 16 to 32 gigs.  This is an AMD build... if you want to go Intel route, the i5 9600k is a great value, but they run hotter & require a cooler which will run you an extra ~$30.  The amd chip comes with a cpu cooler.  Water cooling is also relatively inexpensive, starting around $75.   https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S151675-M810675.631838.517228.161079.89269vsS0-M?tab=MBD

• Member ID:  22889
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  348
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Achievement Points:  2824

8 hours ago, Evil-Monkey said:

OK I am a Intel fanboy . So with that being said here is my recent build just for a little perspective.

CPU - I9-9900k Intel

Ram -Gskill 16gigs -3600mhz

motherboard- Asus Rog Strix Z390

GPU - Asus Rog Strix RTx2080ti oc

Cooling- Corsair H150i pro

Case fans -140mm x4

Case- NZXT H700 

2-Samsung 1tb ssd

1-samsung M.2 1tb 

1corsair 100watt PSU

Windows 10 pro

I have never had an issue with any of this setup (Knock on wood). but this set up ran me some were in the neighborhood of about 3,500 us dollars . so a budget price might be helpful so we can give you some doable options  .   

IMG_0117.jpg

now that is one Eco friendly pc only runs on 100 watts psu lol

Ok, so after reading everything. I think I will just save up for it, then buy it all at once. Maybe get lucky and 'some' prices will drop a few bucks. 

Prior to actually looking at prices, I was thinking 2500-3500.. Not including monitor, keyboard, speakers, ect.. But I think I should saving up a bit more then that. With all the options out there I know I can get carried away with it quick. lol

I intend to read more in to amd products. I used them years ago and they was great for gaming (amd cpu), but haven't for a long time. Not out of preference.. I just stopped being picky and bought whatever pre builds I got a decent deal on that was sufficient for what I was using it for. I've almost always used GForce cards though.

I was looking into the cpu cooler before I posted this, Didn't consider a full liquid cooled system. Will have to read more about the installation process before I make any decisions on that. 

• Member ID:  23520
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  737
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  7105

Don't forget that 144+ monitor, or maybe you got one already?

• Member ID:  389
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  290
  • Content Count:  4407
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Achievement Points:  36061
  • Days Won:  38
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

Can use TVScreen as monitor 

Note: water cooling test loop before using by powering pump only  and no power to motherboard. Lay down paper towel to see if gets wet

I haven't used a 144hz monitor yet, but I just seen the have 240hz now.. Assuming you have 500 to spend on a screen. lol Normally I play with Samsung 27in curved. 

The info here is just a tad old but it goes over the pros and cons of a boatload of CPUs.  I'm not a Intel nor AMD fanboy... I'm a bang for the buck fanboy....

https://www.pcgamesn.com/best-cpu-for-gaming-2019