Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

CoD4 - Monitor flickering in dual screen

MikZzona

• Member ID:  2845
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  308
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  6127
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/19/1990
  • Device:  Windows

Hello hello!

I have been struggling with this first-world problem for a while now, and I'm running out of ideas on how to solve it.

I play on a laptop, linked to a pretty old monitor with a VGA cable. In a perfect world, I would like to be able to have my the game fullscreen on display 2 (the monitor), while I can actively use display 1 (the laptop) when I'm frozen without having to reduce the game in the task bar every time.  However, the monitor is quite heavily flickering when I do that, which comes with fairly important lag and makes it difficult to really do anything.

My config (I'm not sure what to list here, I never do that, please tell me if I need to add something else):

Laptop ("display 1"): Toshiba Satellite L850-1XW
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series
Processor: Inter Core I7-3630QM
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Refresh rate: 60 Hz

Monitor ("display 2"): LEN L2230xwA
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Refresh rate: 60 Hz
Drivers for my graphics card and for the monitor are up to date, and the computer is fully updated from Windows Update.

I am talking about CoD4 here, which runs on the same resolution as the screen it is on (ie. 1920 x 1080, 60 Hz when played on display 2).

In order to use the monitor (display 2) as I wish, I would need the game to run as windowed borderless, which is not naturally possible on CoD4 (unless I missed something). So I run the game windowed (/r_fullscreen 0), and I use the tool Fullscreenizer to have it appear seemingly borderless. But then comes the flickering. By flickering I mean black lines that appear regularly, along with some pretty heavy lag. Sometimes I can see the desktop through the flickering.

In the "Display" settings on Windows, in "Multiple displays" I pick "Extend these displays", and then make Display 2 my main display. But then comes the flickering. Please note that the screen flickers whether I have the game on natural fullscreen (/r_fullscreen 1) or windowed (/r_fullscreen 0, regardless of Fullscreenizer being activated or not).

HOWEVER, it does NOT flicker when in "Display" I pick "Show only on display 2". Then display 1 goes black as planned, and the game on display 2 runs smoothly, with only my usual lag. That's how I ended up playing so far.

Note also that display 2 only flickers when I am running the game. Everything works fine and without flickering when I am just doing stuff on the computer without running the game, even with extended displays.

So, my question. Does anyone know if there is anything to do to stop that flickering while having both screens active?

I have been all over the Internet, and haven't found a solution so far. Displays 1 and 2 don't have the same resolution (1366 x 768 // 1920 x 1080), I am wondering if the problem may come from that, but there is no way I can use 1366 x 768 on my monitor. But I really don't know much about all of that, so I was hoping someone may have an idea :)

Thank you! ?

• Member ID:  23520
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  737
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  7105
  • Days Won:  1

Can you use an hdmi cable instead of a vga cable?

3 minutes ago, Sharpe said:

Can you use an hdmi cable instead of a vga cable?

Unfortunately not, the monitor only has a VGA slot a few USB.

• Member ID:  27413
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  1174
  • Birthday:  12/04/1997

What version of Cod 4 are you using Cod4x community patch or 1.7?

1 hour ago, Oster said:

What version of Cod 4 are you using Cod4x community patch or 1.7?

Patch 1.7.568

• Member ID:  27413
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  1174
  • Birthday:  12/04/1997

Try the community patch at cod4x.me might fix your flickering issue.

Josh helped me out yesterday on TS, and it looks as if it's all solved! It was all about CoD4 graphics settings. As I had most of my settings off, we turned many of them on again, which removed entirely the flickering. It became very laggy and difficult to play though, so I set again some settings to off, one by one. At the end I only had Dual video cards and Sync every frame on. Still quite a lot of lag. I turned Sync every frame off, which removed pretty much all lag and doubled my FPS. A tiny, tiny flickering came back with that, but occurring much more seldom than before, and nowhere near as annoying. I can live with that.

Thank you @FunkyJosh>XI< !

@Oster I haven't had the occasion to use the community patch before Josh took me through these settings, and now that the problem is solved I'll keep it that way. Thanks for the tip though!

Guest FunkyJosh>XI<
16 minutes ago, MikZzona said:

Josh helped me out yesterday on TS, and it looks as if it's all solved! It was all about CoD4 graphics settings. As I had most of my settings off, we turned many of them on again, which removed entirely the flickering. It became very laggy and difficult to play though, so I set again some settings to off, one by one. At the end I only had Dual video cards and Sync every frame on. Still quite a lot of lag. I turned Sync every frame off, which removed pretty much all lag and doubled my FPS. A tiny, tiny flickering came back with that, but occurring much more seldom than before, and nowhere near as annoying. I can live with that.

@Oster I haven't had the occasion to use the community patch before Josh took me through these settings, and now that the problem is solved I'll keep it that way. Thanks for the tip though!

No problem glad i could help

• Member ID:  28144
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1146
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Achievement Points:  28306
  • Days Won:  6

3 hours ago, MikZzona said:

Josh helped me out yesterday on TS, and it looks as if it's all solved! 

Yeah Josh is good with that kind of thing, helped fix my headset the other day which I'm still over the moon about ?

Good Josh! ??