Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Pissed off

Personalfoul

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.09
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008
  • Device:  Windows

Yes two accounts, one checking one savings, with a card for checking only is a good idea. Then keep the bulk of the money in the savings account.

I understand the caution about online banking. Two step verification is a must and I do that with everything important when its available. The one thing I wont do is online banking via a smartphone. Not even sure I ever want to use applepay. Though they do have my CC for my appletv account.

Nothing will ever be %100 effective but I would hope that if something did get lost or stolen that a criminal would give up after failing a couple attempts trying to bypass extra security and move on to the next one.

• Member ID:  25355
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5785
  • Content Per Day:  2.17
  • Achievement Points:  63247
  • Days Won:  132
  • Birthday:  01/05/1954

I don't know if things have changed over the years but an ex Scotland Yard cop once told me that all mobiles were only encrypted until the signal bounced off the first aerial and that all calls are recorded somewhere, moral of the story don't give things out over a mobile. Anyone know anything about mobile security?

• Member ID:  561
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  84
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5333
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Achievement Points:  41334
  • Days Won:  29
  • Birthday:  04/06/1992
  • Device:  Android

2 hours ago, RobMc said:

I don't know if things have changed over the years but an ex Scotland Yard cop once told me that all mobiles were only encrypted until the signal bounced off the first aerial and that all calls are recorded somewhere, moral of the story don't give things out over a mobile. Anyone know anything about mobile security?

Unsure about the specifics of mobile calls but yes that is how allot of encryption works. It is common for the decryption to be stopped once the data is within a 'trusted network'. Certainly that is very common place in IT. 

Fundamentally though it is now considered best practice (and ultimately now possible) to have encryption at all points including at rest. However the fact remains that data that is encrypted can be decrypted and is therefore never 100% safe. 

• Member ID:  1443
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  149
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2299
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Achievement Points:  17866
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  02/19/1987

Don't forget to go online to each credit bureau (Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax), and turn on the credit freeze to help prevent people from opening accounts in your name.  Doesn't help if they already have any existing account information, but it can stop things from getting really bad

• Member ID:  22461
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1186
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/08/1955

That sucks!

• Member ID:  389
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  290
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  4407
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Achievement Points:  36065
  • Days Won:  38
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970
  • Device:  Android

On 2/10/2021 at 8:24 PM, WeednFeed said:

Wow, in 2002 someone stole my identity. They got a $3000 credit card, charged it up payed it off then the bank increased the credit limit to $10,000. They then charged over $7000. until the bank stopped the card. I was on the phone 6 hours the first day canceling and protecting everything I had. They actually got a second card but couldn't use it.

Twelve years later they tried something again but couldn't get anything. I protected my credit rating and no one is allowed to apply for credit in my name without a picture ID and in person.

Scary stuff.

funny that every time i put a password tied to my accounts, it disappears  scammers  within my branch 😬

• Member ID:  833
  • Followers:  41
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  765
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  5688
  • Days Won:  0

PRO TIP:

use a separate card for ALL online purchases. This was suggested by my bank after some issues in the past. For the past 8 years I have only used my 'online' debit card. I leave that account empty unless I want to buy something and I just transfer the amount needed to the card from my main account. Luckily for me my bank doesn't charge for the extra account as long as I have 10 purchases a month. Amazon alone takes care of that lol

I don't know about anywhere else, but most skimmers found around here are installed on gas pumps. Check that seal and make sure it isnt broken before you swipe!

• Member ID:  27522
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1887
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Achievement Points:  13215
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/22/1951

That sucks Personal. I'm glad the bank caught it quickly. I hope they catch that ASS.

Awards