Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Messed up XI redirect halts play

• Member ID:  1238
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

I don't know why this occurs but please explain if you do...

When the map changes to one I don't have, there is an evens chance that the transfer rate falls to <15KBps, meaning there is zero chance of playing the map and it would take on average 50 minutes to download.

As there is no way of breaking out of the download, the only option is to restart my PC which means at least three minutes waiting for the desktop to reappear (I use Win 10 which I hate).

Is there any chance the misbehaving redirect could be fixed (this problem which also affects COD5 has been an unwelcome feature for many months now.)?

Is there a repository of COD4 maps where I could download them via FTP etc.?

• Member ID:  28144
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1146
  • Content Per Day:  0.74
  • Achievement Points:  28306
  • Days Won:  6

Do you have the console enabled? You should just be able to type /reconnect into it and it'll pull you out the server then back in.

Closing then reopening the game also works.

• Member ID:  607
  • Followers:  75
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3337
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  33616
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/16/1966
  • Device:  Windows

If you need the maps I could send them to you but it is a huge file Thanks to DUC I have them all and all the mods for cod 4 

• Member ID:  2995
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  181
  • Topic Count:  690
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  4434
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Achievement Points:  48546
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  02/13/1966

40 minutes ago, Kitsune said:

Do you have the console enabled? You should just be able to type /reconnect into it and it'll pull you out the server then back in.

My suggestion was going to be the same 

• Member ID:  561
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  84
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5334
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Achievement Points:  41339
  • Days Won:  29
  • Birthday:  04/06/1992

3 hours ago, DEEJAYKEG said:

I don't know why this occurs but please explain if you do...

When the map changes to one I don't have, there is an evens chance that the transfer rate falls to <15KBps, meaning there is zero chance of playing the map and it would take on average 50 minutes to download.

As there is no way of breaking out of the download, the only option is to restart my PC which means at least three minutes waiting for the desktop to reappear (I use Win 10 which I hate).

Is there any chance the misbehaving redirect could be fixed (this problem which also affects COD5 has been an unwelcome feature for many months now.)?

Is there a repository of COD4 maps where I could download them via FTP etc.?

I haven't heard any other issues with he redirect so it is unlikely to be an issue that end. The 'redirect' is simply a http server that allows downloading of files - super simple. 

I can provide you a OneDrive link if you PM me for all of the files if you want?

• Member ID:  23520
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  745
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  7157
  • Days Won:  1

There is also the command /disconnect to take you back to the pregame page. You can also hit alt+esc to get back to windows without having to restart.

Sometimes the game does completely lock up, Loco made a great little program called cod4killer.exe that lets you get back to windows without having to restart. It think it is available in the teamspeak downloads, not sure if it's anywhere else.

Also, get yourself an nvme or regular ssd drive and say goodbye to 3 minute loads. Your computer will load in 10 seconds, maybe faster with nvme (don't have one yet, but soon). Crucial have a great little compatibility scanner to see what your computer will take : https://uk.crucial.com/store/systemscanner

On 3/19/2021 at 3:20 PM, Kitsune said:

Thanks for the suggestion which works sometimes but not all the time.  If the game hangs before it finishes setting up, a complete restart is required.  /quit also works to dump one out of the game.  ALT/ESC doesn't work.

On 3/19/2021 at 7:54 PM, Sharpe said:

There is also the command /disconnect to take you back to the pregame page. You can also hit alt+esc to get back to windows without having to restart.

Sometimes the game does completely lock up, Loco made a great little program called cod4killer.exe that lets you get back to windows without having to restart. It think it is available in the teamspeak downloads, not sure if it's anywhere else.

Also, get yourself an nvme or regular ssd drive and say goodbye to 3 minute loads. Your computer will load in 10 seconds, maybe faster with nvme (don't have one yet, but soon). Crucial have a great little compatibility scanner to see what your computer will take : https://uk.crucial.com/store/systemscanner

I ran the Crucial scanner (I have bought RAM from them before) and it shows my system is already above average.  I have made a mental note to save up for an SSD.

crucial_system_scan.png

On 3/19/2021 at 7:11 PM, Sitting-Duc said:

I haven't heard any other issues with he redirect so it is unlikely to be an issue that end. The 'redirect' is simply a http server that allows downloading of files - super simple. 

I can provide you a OneDrive link if you PM me for all of the files if you want?

It happens all the time...  I am certainly not alone in suffering these problems but maybe alone in voicing them.  I did wonder if it might be caused by more than one player trying to download the map at the same time.  It is odd that the name of the map appears onscreen immediately before some kind of reset that switches the transfer speed down to circa 15KBps.

If there's a way to grab the files other than sit in front of a black screen, I'm up for it.  Thanks.

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5084
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Achievement Points:  44636
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

My download rate resets? in the middle of downloading a map some times. Then gets stuck downloading at 12kbs. It used to happen pretty regularly but it's been a fairly rare occurrence lately.   

Win 10 is a fucking asshole when it comes to games crashing. It does not tell you WTF went wrong, all it does is make that fucking annoying Error noise and close or freeze the game. Some times you can tap ALT+F4 and get it to close but most of the time you have to tap CTRL+ALT+Delete and Restart the computer because it just freezes your damn screen. I'm pretty sure most unrecoverable errors are due to corrupt audio because Win 10 has the ability to flush and restart video drivers and what not to resume operation. When you get an audio error the Realtek audio driver will hang and you must restart your PC to recover from it.

That fucking Event Viewer makes no sense to me what so ever. Even if you do a complete OS wipe and fresh install you always get Multiple errors in Event Viewer.