Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Are there any known challenges with SSD 5 TG?

BigPapaDean

• Member ID:  1128
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6513
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Achievement Points:  63330
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954
  • Device:  Windows

I am looking into a SSD and find some 5TB for fairly good deals. Before I get one tho I would like your opinions!

• Member ID:  25355
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5785
  • Content Per Day:  2.16
  • Achievement Points:  63248
  • Days Won:  132
  • Birthday:  01/05/1954

14 minutes ago, BigPapaDean said:

I am looking into a SSD and find some 5TB for fairly good deals. Before I get one tho I would like your opinions!

Yea they're great, but you'll probably need an adapter to fit in case and if I remember you have an old m'bd check you got sata connections. Whether or not you'll get an increase in performance is doubtful in an old computer, for bang for your buck you'd probably be better with a HDD.

But we're all pulling our hair out as unless you've bought a new set up you're chucking money away Dean, honestly mate you would be better saving up for a new computer, or at least an up to date M'bd/cpu and memory, if you know what you're doing. In fact (I'm going to get some stick for this) from what I've seen of your circumstances the way to go gaming would be a console, then you can just plug and play with no troubles. We would of course disown you, but you can live with that, loads of cheap used consoles around, find a one that plays the games you want, it will be cheaper and better for you.

31 minutes ago, RobMc said:

Yea they're great, but you'll probably need an adapter to fit in case and if I remember you have an old m'bd check you got sata connections. Whether or not you'll get an increase in performance is doubtful in an old computer, for bang for your buck you'd probably be better with a HDD.

But we're all pulling our hair out as unless you've bought a new set up you're chucking money away Dean, honestly mate you would be better saving up for a new computer, or at least an up to date M'bd/cpu and memory, if you know what you're doing. In fact (I'm going to get some stick for this) from what I've seen of your circumstances the way to go gaming would be a console, then you can just plug and play with no troubles. We would of course disown you, but you can live with that, loads of cheap used consoles around, find a one that plays the games you want, it will be cheaper and better for you.

Nope! This is a new computer! I already have an external ssd and it works well. My main reason for this is that virus I talked about on another post is back and I want to set up this new ssd as my main. I may need some advise on that procedure.

46 minutes ago, BigPapaDean said:

Nope! This is a new computer! I already have an external ssd and it works well. My main reason for this is that virus I talked about on another post is back and I want to set up this new ssd as my main. I may need some advise on that procedure.

In that case you're fine, great to see you got a new one

1 hour ago, BigPapaDean said:

Right, I stepped back and thought about this before replying, because what you're saying doesn't make sense. If you bought a new computer surely it came with an O/S loaded on a hard drive already? In which case if your old hard drive had a virus you couldn't get rid of please do not use it even as an external drive on your new computer.

We must presume the way you're talking your new computer does not have an internal ssd, is this correct? then it must have an hdd and you want to swap it for an ssd, surely you're not booting from an old contaminated external ssd? If that is what you are doing the virus will always be back lol.

Before we all go any further exactly what are the specs of your new computer?

• Member ID:  607
  • Followers:  75
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3337
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  33616
  • Birthday:  09/16/1966

Dean the problem you have if there is any Drive connected to your PC that is infected that Virus will spread to any other drive you install (Unless you find a really good Antivirus program that can remove it) . Or The only other way is a clean install but like RobMc I would need to know what you have so we can work out the easiest fix for you before you spend any money.

24 minutes ago, RobMc said:

Right, I stepped back and thought about this before replying, because what you're saying doesn't make sense. If you bought a new computer surely it came with an O/S loaded on a hard drive already? In which case if your old hard drive had a virus you couldn't get rid of please do not use it even as an external drive on your new computer.

We must presume the way you're talking your new computer does not have an internal ssd, is this correct? then it must have an hdd and you want to swap it for an ssd, surely you're not booting from an old contaminated external ssd? If that is what you are doing the virus will always be back lol.

Before we all go any further exactly what are the specs of your new computer?

Yes there is a bug of somekind on my new hard drive which Windows Defense finds but no one else. They can't tell where it is or exactly what is is part of so I can't remove it. So I simply want to put in a new SSD