Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Mobile App Development

Sikon

• Member ID:  27340
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  5463
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/11/1980
  • Device:  Windows

I am strongly considering taking on the challenge to learning to code mobile apps as well as web development to support said apps. 

Does anyone have any experience with mobile app development? If so, what language did you start with? What would be a good place to start as a beginner? At this time I have no intentions of taking courses, other than training videos I can watch at my leisure.  I'm looking at this as more of a hobby in my spare time than a career choice. 

Any direction would be appreciated!

Thanks! 

• Member ID:  561
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  84
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5334
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Achievement Points:  41339
  • Days Won:  29
  • Birthday:  04/06/1992

I did work on a mobile app project back a couple of years. The app wasn't anything special, just a load of forms etc. to allow users to submit data on marine wildlife. However part of the project was about building a mobile capability etc. 

The stack has changed a little since then as Microsoft bought and open-sourced a load but it was using Xamarin: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/apps/xamarin

Language choice for us was C# as that is what the team used.

For backend/web apps or APIs I usually go asp net core and host on Azure. Generally I like to keep the stack all Microsoft for ease however the solutions would also host well on AWS etc.

I haven't done any mobile development since but still actively work on mobile-first websites etc. Same stack etc. Bootstrap handles keeping things pretty and consistent across the different device sizes.

Duc

• Member ID:  4476
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1460
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  18104
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/31/1982
  • Device:  Android

Do we have an app for the xi crew? Or just this website

22 hours ago, jointz said:

Do we have an app for the xi crew? Or just this website

Nope and we can't use the app for this site because of the boobs etc.

oh ok. and i love those topics... lol

• Member ID:  42
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8260
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Achievement Points:  53574
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959

That's pretty cool @Sitting-Duc

I've never really tried to learn coding at all. I've thought about it often over the years, just no fallow through. I can read some source code and get the basic idea or what certain strings of code is doing, but actually typing it out myself.. I would be lost.  

The more I'm looking into it, I'm wondering if I should look into free computer science course videos or just free ball it into some code and figure it out? lol I'm kind of thinking free ball it! Sense i've started some computer science videos and they take it back to the biblics and start talking about binary.. :pardon:However, I feel like I should start on basic code structure first? IDK

1 hour ago, Sikon said:

That's pretty cool @Sitting-Duc

I've never really tried to learn coding at all. I've thought about it often over the years, just no fallow through. I can read some source code and get the basic idea or what certain strings of code is doing, but actually typing it out myself.. I would be lost.  

The more I'm looking into it, I'm wondering if I should look into free computer science course videos or just free ball it into some code and figure it out? lol I'm kind of thinking free ball it! Sense i've started some computer science videos and they take it back to the biblics and start talking about binary.. :pardon:However, I feel like I should start on basic code structure first? IDK

Personally my start into programming was gaming and allot of that was XI. I somehow got involved in Crysis server mods; I think it was in looking at the mods for the previous community I was in. We were trying to solve an in-game issue with the mod and it needed some slight scripting changes, it was an easy change but that ease inspired me to look into it more. I then got involved in that modding community and ended up becoming a developer for the mod. XI allowed me to expand into messing with other types of programming and to 'solve' problems with it. My initial code was shit and I remember Steve (Ph4nt0m) telling me about threading and how to instantiate threads so not to lock up the UI etc.

I ended up going to university and yes I learned a load of stuff about "data structures and algorithms" whilst there but the true experience and knowledge came from what I have done in XI. That is what I discussed in my first job interview to be a trainee software engineer at the UK MoD, less so the University course. My XI projects have generally been a way for me to learn a new technology/tool/stack and then use that to excel in my professional career.

I was lead software engineer of a team (two at one point) responsible for some pretty substantial services and projects for the MoD before I left a couple of years back to start my own company and I now work on a consultancy/contract basis brought in to be an expert in certain topics.

So my advice; find a problem you want to solve and give it a shot - choose a language that comes up in Google when you start researching around the problem. Be a polygot developer; I usually am Microsoft stack but have implemented personal, XI and professional solutions in many different languages on many different stacks.

See us idiots are good for experience.. good job duc!! And you guys are doing great here. Keep up the good work!!

• 4 weeks later...

On 4/29/2021 at 11:49 PM, Sitting-Duc said:

Personally my start into programming was gaming and allot of that was XI. I somehow got involved in Crysis server mods; I think it was in looking at the mods for the previous community I was in. We were trying to solve an in-game issue with the mod and it needed some slight scripting changes, it was an easy change but that ease inspired me to look into it more. I then got involved in that modding community and ended up becoming a developer for the mod. XI allowed me to expand into messing with other types of programming and to 'solve' problems with it. My initial code was shit and I remember Steve (Ph4nt0m) telling me about threading and how to instantiate threads so not to lock up the UI etc.

I ended up going to university and yes I learned a load of stuff about "data structures and algorithms" whilst there but the true experience and knowledge came from what I have done in XI. That is what I discussed in my first job interview to be a trainee software engineer at the UK MoD, less so the University course. My XI projects have generally been a way for me to learn a new technology/tool/stack and then use that to excel in my professional career.

I was lead software engineer of a team (two at one point) responsible for some pretty substantial services and projects for the MoD before I left a couple of years back to start my own company and I now work on a consultancy/contract basis brought in to be an expert in certain topics.

So my advice; find a problem you want to solve and give it a shot - choose a language that comes up in Google when you start researching around the problem. Be a polygot developer; I usually am Microsoft stack but have implemented personal, XI and professional solutions in many different languages on many different stacks.

That's pretty awesome! Kind of crazy how something as simple as playing games with some friends someone mets online could change the direction of one's life/career choices. I've seen it happen with people a lot over the years, rather it be online gaming or just finding things across the internet that peeks one's interests. Then boom, they are into video editing, graphic design,  website design,  coding or software engineering. Pretty amazing if you think a about it!

Edited by Sikon