Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

G-Sync?

Sikon

• Member ID:  27340
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  5463
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/11/1980
  • Device:  iPhone

So the family computer got an unexpected upgrade last week. 

My 3 year old nephew apparently broke the monitor. My wife didn't want me to know about it while i was at work and tried to get the same one, but was unsuccessful in finding it locally. 

She ended up buying the Samsung CRG5 27" Curved 240hz. An Upgrade from the Samsung CF398 Curved 60hz.. In hopes I wouldn't notice. . . Also unsuccessful! Lmao! 

I'm trying to figure out how to set up G-Sync. I've looked online and I cannot figure it out. Or maybe my video card is not good enough to do it? 

Both Say they are G Sync compatible, but in the nvidia control panel the g sync setup is missing.. And in the monitor OSD the place to enable g sync is missing. There is only one grayed on thing on the monitor OSD, which is adaptive sync?

• Member ID:  49
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  835
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  11411
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/09/1966
  • Device:  Windows

To set up G-SYNC

1. From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under Display, click Set up G-SYNC to open the associated page.

2. If not checked, then click the Enable G-SYNC/G-SYNC Compatible check box.

3. Select either Full screen mode or Windowed and full screen mode, depending on your system and the programs you plan to run.

• Full screen mode: Select this option if your system experiences difficulty using G-SYNC with windowed applications, but you still want to use G-SYNC with full-screen applications.

• Windowed and full screen mode: Select this option if you want to use G-SYNC with windowed applications.

4. Choose a display-specific application of G-SYNC settings.

This step applies to either G-SYNC Compatible displays or VRR displays that have not been validated by NVIDIA as G-SYNC Compatible. After enabling G-SYNC, you can select which connected display models to apply the G-SYNC settings from step 3.  This is also useful for testing G-SYNC on VRR displays that are not validated as G-SYNC Compatible.  

To apply G-SYNC settings to all connected displays of a particular model,

1. At Select a display, select the display model icon.

2. At Choose display specific setting, check the Enable settings for the selected display model check box.   

5. Follow the instructions on the rest of the page to enable G-SYNC.

• Make sure you have a G-SYNC-capable or G-SYNC Compatible display connected, enabled, and configured as the primary display.

• Make sure Monitor Technology is set to G-SYNC/G-SYNC Compatible from the Manage 3D Settings page.

• good luck. ;) 

49 minutes ago, MtDeW said:

To set up G-SYNC

1. From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under Display, click Set up G-SYNC to open the associated page.

2. If not checked, then click the Enable G-SYNC/G-SYNC Compatible check box.

3. Select either Full screen mode or Windowed and full screen mode, depending on your system and the programs you plan to run.

• Full screen mode: Select this option if your system experiences difficulty using G-SYNC with windowed applications, but you still want to use G-SYNC with full-screen applications.

• Windowed and full screen mode: Select this option if you want to use G-SYNC with windowed applications.

4. Choose a display-specific application of G-SYNC settings.

This step applies to either G-SYNC Compatible displays or VRR displays that have not been validated by NVIDIA as G-SYNC Compatible. After enabling G-SYNC, you can select which connected display models to apply the G-SYNC settings from step 3.  This is also useful for testing G-SYNC on VRR displays that are not validated as G-SYNC Compatible.  

To apply G-SYNC settings to all connected displays of a particular model,

1. At Select a display, select the display model icon.

2. At Choose display specific setting, check the Enable settings for the selected display model check box.   

5. Follow the instructions on the rest of the page to enable G-SYNC.

• Make sure you have a G-SYNC-capable or G-SYNC Compatible display connected, enabled, and configured as the primary display.

• Make sure Monitor Technology is set to G-SYNC/G-SYNC Compatible from the Manage 3D Settings page.

• good luck. ;) 

I read this on a few websites, but the g sync option is missing from the nvidia control panel. It is also missing from the monitor display menu. 

update your drivers? ;) 

3 minutes ago, MtDeW said:

update your drivers? ;) 

Was the first thing I did. Downloaded the drivers from the Samsung website. 

I seen something about updating the firmware.  But for that monitor it is not available on their website. However it is for other monitors. 

come to ts

1 minute ago, MtDeW said:

come to ts

I can't right now. I'm just on my phone. The kids are playing games. I have to go to bed soon, have work tomorrow. 

Just now, Sikon said:

I can't right now. I'm just on my phone. The kids are playing games. I have to go to bed soon, have work tomorrow. 

i can help you in 3 min ICEMAN just got the same one and he had it set to 59 Hz

• Member ID:  23520
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  737
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  7105
  • Days Won:  1

Here is a good website to check that you are getting the full 240hz : 

https://www.testufo.com/

It could be a cable issue, do you know which type of cable you are using (and which version, eg hdmi 2.0? 2.1?)

Not sure if the card is an issue or if the issue has been fixed. Here is a discussion on this albeit a different monitor: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Monitors-and-Memory/2020-Odyssey-G9-G-sync-not-working-at-240Hz/td-p/1388291

If you have the appropriate cable and are running at 240hz maybe try turning it down to 120/144hz and seeing if gsync appears?

Edited by Sharpe

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5080
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Achievement Points:  44606
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

@Sikon Download this. It's the device driver for that monitor. I had to find the driver for my Samsung monitor when I got it as well. Windows just puts in a Generic Display driver in Device Manager until you install the driver.    https://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=7327742&CDCttType=DR&ModelType=C&ModelName=LC27RG50FQNXZA&VPath=DR/201905/20190527123354735/C27RG50.exe

Here is the English user manual as well. It might help. https://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=7413141&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=C&ModelName=LC27RG50FQNXZA&VPath=UM/201908/20190806102517060/MONCRGZA-00_CRG5_NA_Eng_20190603.0.pdf

Which connector are you using? HDMI? Display port? or DVI-D? I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the higher refresh rates and G-Sync are available for DVI-D. DisplayPort is by far the fastest port on that particular card but you have to use a DisplayPort 1.4 cable. 

EDIT: Just read on Samsungs support site that DisplayPort must be used for G-Sync. It does not work for with HDMI. Looks like "some" people got it to work with the dual-link DVI cable but not everyone got it to work. 

Edited by J3st3r

8 hours ago, Sharpe said:

Here is a good website to check that you are getting the full 240hz : 

https://www.testufo.com/

It could be a cable issue, do you know which type of cable you are using (and which version, eg hdmi 2.0? 2.1?)

Not sure if the card is an issue or if the issue has been fixed. Here is a discussion on this albeit a different monitor: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Monitors-and-Memory/2020-Odyssey-G9-G-sync-not-working-at-240Hz/td-p/1388291

If you have the appropriate cable and are running at 240hz maybe try turning it down to 120/144hz and seeing if gsync appears?

I'm not sure which hdmi version it is, only that it's hdmi. How do you tell the difference from looking at it? 

I'll have to check the frame rate when I get home tonight. I know it's set at 240hz in windows, but what I'm actually getting out of it I'm not sure yet. 

4 hours ago, J3st3r said:

@Sikon Download this. It's the device driver for that monitor. I had to find the driver for my Samsung monitor when I got it as well. Windows just puts in a Generic Display driver in Device Manager until you install the driver.    https://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=7327742&CDCttType=DR&ModelType=C&ModelName=LC27RG50FQNXZA&VPath=DR/201905/20190527123354735/C27RG50.exe

Here is the English user manual as well. It might help. https://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=7413141&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=C&ModelName=LC27RG50FQNXZA&VPath=UM/201908/20190806102517060/MONCRGZA-00_CRG5_NA_Eng_20190603.0.pdf

Which connector are you using? HDMI? Display port? or DVI-D? I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the higher refresh rates and G-Sync are available for DVI-D. DisplayPort is by far the fastest port on that particular card but you have to use a DisplayPort 1.4 cable. 

EDIT: Just read on Samsungs support site that DisplayPort must be used for G-Sync. It does not work for with HDMI. Looks like "some" people got it to work with the dual-link DVI cable but not everyone got it to work. 

I'm using hdmi, and I downloaded and installed the 'official' driver on Thursday. It did not make a difference to the settings availability. Was kind of hoping that was the issue when I downloaded it. 

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5080
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Achievement Points:  44606
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

Ya I did some digging last night and there are lots of complaints about G-Sync not being available until ya hook it up VIA the Display Port. Seems to be an issue with the lower Bandwidth of HDMI vs Display Port.

Looks like your monitor is a little older with displayport version 1.2 being listed in it's specs. I think they are up to 2.0 now. I think you should box up your whole computer and send it to me for further testing. :rofl::rofl:

Here check this out @Sikon. https://www.windowscentral.com/hdmi-vs-displayport-which-better-pc-gaming

Cable length matters quite a bit with displayport. The shorter the cord the better off you are. Signal degradation is a thing with DisplayPort.

Edited by J3st3r

• Member ID:  23628
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Achievement Points:  2265
  • Days Won:  0

Have had this same experience. Just as J3st3r has said, G-Sync will only work on Display Port and will not work on hdmi or an hdmi-display port adapter.

Edited by Tw33tle_Dee

43 minutes ago, J3st3r said:

Ya I did some digging last night and there are lots of complaints about G-Sync not being available until ya hook it up VIA the Display Port. Seems to be an issue with the lower Bandwidth of HDMI vs Display Port.

Looks like your monitor is a little older with displayport version 1.2 being listed in it's specs. I think they are up to 2.0 now. I think you should box up your whole computer and send it to me for further testing. :rofl::rofl:

Here check this out @Sikon. https://www.windowscentral.com/hdmi-vs-displayport-which-better-pc-gaming

Cable length matters quite a bit with displayport. The shorter the cord the better off you are. Signal degradation is a thing with DisplayPort.

Yeah, both the video card and monitor are products initially released in 2019. With the monitor display port 1.2 and the video card 1.4. In theory should still work assuming the display port is the issue. 

I'm sure I have one around the house somewhere. Assuming the kids are not all on games when I get home tonight ill check it out. 👍

• Member ID:  94
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3738
  • Birthday:  12/03/1955

display port hdmi only supports 60 hz and no g sync

• Member ID:  2902
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  228
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1667
  • Birthday:  06/11/1952

I have a 144hz monitor and a RTX2070 running the DP cable.  Could do the G-Sync but bench testing shows it just drops the GPU performance, so have it turned off.

• Member ID:  23520
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  737
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  7105

2 hours ago, BoomSlang said:

display port hdmi only supports 60 hz and no g sync

Hdmi 2.1 supports a lot higher than 60 hz, it depends on the resolution. There are some tvs that support gsync through hdmi 2.1 as well. 

Here is a lengthy article on some of this https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/features/displayport-vs-hdmi-better-for-gaming

The conclusion is that display port is still needed for gsync monitors but it isn't a bandwitdth issue. Hdmi 2.1 currently has higher bandwidth than display port 1.4 with display port 2 set to take the lead later in the year.

44 minutes ago, Sharpe said:

Hdmi 2.1 supports a lot higher than 60 hz, it depends on the resolution. There are some tvs that support gsync through hdmi 2.1 as well. 

Here is a lengthy article on some of this https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/features/displayport-vs-hdmi-better-for-gaming

The conclusion is that display port is still needed for gsync monitors but it isn't a bandwitdth issue. Hdmi 2.1 currently has higher bandwidth than display port 1.4 with display port 2 set to take the lead later in the year.

I just got home and plugged in the display port. And boom.. g sync options was available! @J3st3r 👍

Checked out the refresh rate.. sadly 60hz. It gives the option to change the refresh rate in the nvidia control panel, but in windows  display settings it's locked at 60hz? Which brings me to the question is it even worth losing 180hz refresh rate?? 

@SharpeAs far as the HDMI cable, I'm not sure which one it is. Being that I don't know, I would have to assume it's 2.0. 🤷‍♂️

Both the monitor and the video cards hdmi's ports are 2.0. Is the 2.1 just the cord or does the port have to be 2.1 as well?

Edited by Sikon

I just noticed in the Nvidia control panel, that the resolution changes what the refresh rate can be set at with in the control panel. For example, at 1080p, 1920x1080. The rate is between 60hz and 120hz.  If it is switched to basic non Ultra HD.. It can be set to 240hz? There is a ton of options in between the two with various HZ options. Anything below non Ultra HD is all 240hz. 🤷‍♂️ I haven't tried changing any of it yet, but windows display settings are stuck at 60hz once gsync was enabled. I'm not sure if changing the Nvidia settings will change this or not? 

Edited by Sikon

• Member ID:  23628
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Achievement Points:  2265

11 hours ago, Sikon said:

I just got home and plugged in the display port. And boom.. g sync options was available! @J3st3r 👍

Checked out the refresh rate.. sadly 60hz. It gives the option to change the refresh rate in the nvidia control panel, but in windows  display settings it's locked at 60hz? Which brings me to the question is it even worth losing 180hz refresh rate?? 

@SharpeAs far as the HDMI cable, I'm not sure which one it is. Being that I don't know, I would have to assume it's 2.0. 🤷‍♂️

Both the monitor and the video cards hdmi's ports are 2.0. Is the 2.1 just the cord or does the port have to be 2.1 as well?

Windows 10 Game Mode can cause problems with windows refresh rate settings. Make sure everything is disabled under Windows Game Mode settings. Also disable any Full Screen Optimizations for the games you play.

2 hours ago, Tw33tle_Dee said:

Windows 10 Game Mode can cause problems with windows refresh rate settings. Make sure everything is disabled under Windows Game Mode settings. Also disable any Full Screen Optimizations for the games you play.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that too. 

I'll have more time to mess around with it Monday night and see what will be the best settings I can get out of video card and monitor.