Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

As Promised Weed’s Apple Jelly Video 2021

WeednFeed

• Member ID:  433
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2325
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Achievement Points:  23984
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  35
  • Birthday:  05/28/1957
  • Device:  Macintosh

WARNING YOU MUST DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH FOLLOW PROPER CLEANING AND CANNING RECIPES FROM ACCREDITED PUBLICATIONS BACTERIA IN FOOD PREPARATION CAN KILL YOU! 

Hello everyone made 2 batches of cinnamon apple Jelly using THE NATURAL PECTIN IN THE APPLES! Managed to get 24 bottles. It was a lot of work.

I washed and cut up over 20 pounds of MacIntosh apples.

Removed the stems, blossom ends and any blemishes or apple scab.

The apples were cut in quarters or more with larger apples. You must leave all the skin, seeds and cores to be boiled.

Add enough water to about 3/4 of the height of the apples, meaning don’t cover the apples with water.

Once the apples start boiling turn them down to a medium boil. This is where I add the cinnamon, you can use a cinnamon stick, I use a heaping tablespoon per 10 pound pot. Apples are VERY HIGH in natural pectin, too high of a temperature will destroy the pectin at this stage. The pectin is mostly in the skin area. The apples will turn into apple sauce you should also mash the apples if required. Apple juice is what the jelly is made of. 

Once the apples are fully dissolved make a 4 layer cheese cloth bag to drain/strain the apples into a clean container or pot. You can let the bag drain overnight but I find any juice gained more than 4 hours is minimal. DO NOT SQUEEZE THE the cheese cloth trying to squeak out more juice. This will cause fines in the jelly making it cloudy.

Once you have collected all the juice it is time to get serious. All your mason jars and lids should be washed with hot soapy water and rinsed and put in the oven at over 220 degrees F. The lids must be prepared as per the lid manufacturer. You will need to WATER BATH THE MASON JARS after the jars are filled. AGAIN DO YOUR RESEARCH, USE AN ACCREDITED SOURCE like a canning company or extension office. Prep you water bath canner with the appropriate amount of water and raise the temperature to at least 190 Degrees F.

Accurately measure your juice by the cup. For every cup of juice you will use 1 cup of granulated sugar. If you have 10 cups of juice use 10 cups of sugar, 15 cups of juice use 15 cups of sugar and soon. You will also add 1 tablespoon of bottled lemon juice per 3 cups of juice. This will raise the acid content of the juice. Bring the juice and lemon juice to a slight boil then stir in the sugar, keep stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Adjust heat to suite. You want the combined juice, sugar and lemon juice to be in a rolling boil. Watch very closely the your jelly will likely start to FOAM up add a tablespoon of real butter this will stop the foaming. I now just put the butter in before it foams. Putting the butter in early just saves the pot from foam over the top making a mess. You want the contents to be a constant rolling boil.

The MOST important is the temperature of the jelly. You will not achieve jelly until the mixture achieves a temperature of 220 degrees F this is the point we’re juice becomes jelly. This is why there is no set times for making/boiling jelly WITH NATURAL PECTIN it’s all about the relationship between juice, sugar, natural pectin and water. Once you have sneaker boiled off the other ingredients come together to make jelly. I use 2 thermometers to check my temperature. You will also see the jelly forming on the spoon you are stirring the pot with as the temperature nears 220. You can also increase the temperature by a few degrees as this will make the jelly a little stiffer and that won’t hurt. If you do not have a proper thermometer you can also use the cold plate method, sheet method. This method is all over the net and can be found on YouTube. 

Now that we have our jelly at the correct temperature and your bottles have been sterilized sitting in the oven at 220 the lids and rings are prepared as per the manufacturer. It is time to get bottling. The importance of having the sterilized bottles hot is not only to kill organisms but you can’t pour 220 degree jelly in a cold jar it might break. Keeping the water in the water bath hot is the same idea plus it allows the water bath to boil quicker. 

Fill each jar with jelly leaving a 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace, wipe the rim of the bottle to remove any spillage that may prevent a proper seal.  Cover with the lid and ring FINGER TIP TIGHT don’t over tighten the lids if you over tighten the bottle might not draw a vacuum. Immediately transfer the filled bottle to the water bath. Fill all the jars and place in the water bath there must be at least a full inch of water over all the bottles. You must water bath at a full boil for a minimum of 5 minutes. Remove the bottles set on a dishcloth away from drafts for 12-24 hours to let cool. If you’ve done it correctly the bottles should seal within minutes of removing them from the water bath.
AGAIN YOU MUST PRACTICE GOOD HYGIENE AND PROPER CANNING AS PER ACCREDITED SOURCES.

Good luck, I/we find it very rewarding to create our own preserves. I hope you do too.

Wayne

• Member ID:  2208
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Content Count:  3614
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  37681
  • Days Won:  53
  • Birthday:  06/09/1963
  • Device:  Windows

nice job,,,but when did you put the weed in..hehehehehe

• Member ID:  989
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  18101
  • Content Per Day:  3.47
  • Achievement Points:  132635
  • Days Won:  263
  • Birthday:  01/27/1946

• Member ID:  1850
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  98
  • Topic Count:  328
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8620
  • Content Per Day:  1.74
  • Achievement Points:  55994
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/19/1948

Looks real good Wayne. My blood sugar levels would love that if I could eat it.

• Member ID:  2593
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  5108
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/20/1978
  • Device:  Android

Fantastic tutorial sir.  Looks great!

• Member ID:  389
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4454
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36411
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

5 hours ago, TBB said:

NICELY done!!!!  How about making some sour mash????

hes not running a still TBB

• Member ID:  22619
  • Group:  ++ COD5 Admin
  • Followers:  132
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3600
  • Content Per Day:  1.11
  • Achievement Points:  35110
  • Days Won:  22

Looks really good Weed, good job ! I think that the borders are open between our provinces now, eh ? :laughing:

• Member ID:  23520
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  745
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  7157
  • Days Won:  1

19 hours ago, WeednFeed said:

WARNING YOU MUST DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH FOLLOW PROPER CLEANING AND CANNING RECIPES FROM ACCREDITED PUBLICATIONS BACTERIA IN FOOD PREPARATION CAN KILL YOU! 

Hello everyone made 2 batches of cinnamon apple Jelly using THE NATURAL PECTIN IN THE APPLES! Managed to get 24 bottles. It was a lot of work.

I washed and cut up over 20 pounds of MacIntosh apples.

Removed the stems, blossom ends and any blemishes or apple scab.

The apples were cut in quarters or more with larger apples. You must leave all the skin, seeds and cores to be boiled.

Add enough water to about 3/4 of the height of the apples, meaning don’t cover the apples with water.

Once the apples start boiling turn them down to a medium boil. This is where I add the cinnamon, you can use a cinnamon stick, I use a heaping tablespoon per 10 pound pot. Apples are VERY HIGH in natural pectin, too high of a temperature will destroy the pectin at this stage. The pectin is mostly in the skin area. The apples will turn into apple sauce you should also mash the apples if required. Apple juice is what the jelly is made of. 

Once the apples are fully dissolved make a 4 layer cheese cloth bag to drain/strain the apples into a clean container or pot. You can let the bag drain overnight but I find any juice gained more than 4 hours is minimal. DO NOT SQUEEZE THE the cheese cloth trying to squeak out more juice. This will cause fines in the jelly making it cloudy.

Once you have collected all the juice it is time to get serious. All your mason jars and lids should be washed with hot soapy water and rinsed and put in the oven at over 220 degrees F. The lids must be prepared as per the lid manufacturer. You will need to WATER BATH THE MASON JARS after the jars are filled. AGAIN DO YOUR RESEARCH, USE AN ACCREDITED SOURCE like a canning company or extension office. Prep you water bath canner with the appropriate amount of water and raise the temperature to at least 190 Degrees F.

Accurately measure your juice by the cup. For every cup of juice you will use 1 cup of granulated sugar. If you have 10 cups of juice use 10 cups of sugar, 15 cups of juice use 15 cups of sugar and soon. You will also add 1 tablespoon of bottled lemon juice per 3 cups of juice. This will raise the acid content of the juice. Bring the juice and lemon juice to a slight boil then stir in the sugar, keep stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Adjust heat to suite. You want the combined juice, sugar and lemon juice to be in a rolling boil. Watch very closely the your jelly will likely start to FOAM up add a tablespoon of real butter this will stop the foaming. I now just put the butter in before it foams. Putting the butter in early just saves the pot from foam over the top making a mess. You want the contents to be a constant rolling boil.

The MOST important is the temperature of the jelly. You will not achieve jelly until the mixture achieves a temperature of 220 degrees F this is the point we’re juice becomes jelly. This is why there is no set times for making/boiling jelly WITH NATURAL PECTIN it’s all about the relationship between juice, sugar, natural pectin and water. Once you have sneaker boiled off the other ingredients come together to make jelly. I use 2 thermometers to check my temperature. You will also see the jelly forming on the spoon you are stirring the pot with as the temperature nears 220. You can also increase the temperature by a few degrees as this will make the jelly a little stiffer and that won’t hurt. If you do not have a proper thermometer you can also use the cold plate method, sheet method. This method is all over the net and can be found on YouTube. 

Now that we have our jelly at the correct temperature and your bottles have been sterilized sitting in the oven at 220 the lids and rings are prepared as per the manufacturer. It is time to get bottling. The importance of having the sterilized bottles hot is not only to kill organisms but you can’t pour 220 degree jelly in a cold jar it might break. Keeping the water in the water bath hot is the same idea plus it allows the water bath to boil quicker. 

Fill each jar with jelly leaving a 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace, wipe the rim of the bottle to remove any spillage that may prevent a proper seal.  Cover with the lid and ring FINGER TIP TIGHT don’t over tighten the lids if you over tighten the bottle might not draw a vacuum. Immediately transfer the filled bottle to the water bath. Fill all the jars and place in the water bath there must be at least a full inch of water over all the bottles. You must water bath at a full boil for a minimum of 5 minutes. Remove the bottles set on a dishcloth away from drafts for 12-24 hours to let cool. If you’ve done it correctly the bottles should seal within minutes of removing them from the water bath.
AGAIN YOU MUST PRACTICE GOOD HYGIENE AND PROPER CANNING AS PER ACCREDITED SOURCES.

Good luck, I/we find it very rewarding to create our own preserves. I hope you do too.

Wayne

You don't deserve it 😉

17 hours ago, KaptCrunch said:

hes not running a still TBB

Not that he's telling us about!!!!

• Member ID:  389
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4454
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36411
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

2 hours ago, TBB said:

Not that he's telling us about!!!!

you mite be right for the warning post he put up, LoL  i miss making shine with gran daddy, we used patatoes, rasins, grapes,  sugar and yeast to make the mash  an old wood stove. stainless steel pressure pots and 1/4" tube  coiled with a fan running on it 

Weed is correct use glass and sanitze (boil) before use also the tools used. 

I bet if I set my mind to it I could SHINE! 
might be a way to subsidize retirement. Hmm?

The narrative was quite lengthy but it takes a long time to do up preserves.

23 minutes ago, KaptCrunch said:

you mite be right for the warning post he put up, LoL  i miss making shine with gran daddy, we used patatoes, rasins, grapes,  sugar and yeast to make the mash  an old wood stove. stainless steel pressure pots and 1/4" tube  coiled with a fan running on it 

Weed is correct use glass and sanitze (boil) before use also the tools used. 

You still got the recipient???  We could set up a still at @WeednFeed's place - he's got plenty of room -  we could eat apple jelly and wash it down with shine!!   :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

JUST A NOTE REGARDING THE 220F to make the juice turn to jelly that is from sea level to 1000 feet above sea level. Above 1000 ft the temperature changes. Check your books and accredited publications.

Cheers

Edited by WeednFeed