Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

How my Red Wriggler Composting Worms Respond To A Tomato In Their Midst:

Timmah!

• Member ID:  26443
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  466
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  5951
  • Content Per Day:  2.52
  • Achievement Points:  50915
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  118
  • Birthday:  09/26/1971
  • Device:  Android

...with alacrity!!

• Member ID:  25355
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5785
  • Content Per Day:  2.16
  • Achievement Points:  63248
  • Days Won:  132
  • Birthday:  01/05/1954
  • Device:  Windows

FFS ever heard of Netflix ????

3 hours ago, RobMc said:

FFS ever heard of Netflix ????

Would rather engage in interesting activities than spectate fictional characters' narratives.  Ergo: Ffs, ever heard of immersive engagement?  Unless I misinterpret the nature of your vague, seeming aspersion.

• Member ID:  25355
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5785
  • Content Per Day:  2.16
  • Achievement Points:  63248
  • Days Won:  132
  • Birthday:  01/05/1954

9 hours ago, Timmah! said:

Would rather engage in interesting activities than spectate fictional characters' narratives.  Ergo: Ffs, ever heard of immersive engagement?  Unless I misinterpret the nature of your vague, seeming aspersion.

Strangely I'm like you (ONLY IN THIS), I watch next to no MSM and when I do it's usually documentaries, I haven't watched a film in over 25 years, what I know about them comes from glimpsed articles on other sources. People are quite shocked that I've never watched some of the dross they appear hooked on, it's not snobbery, I'm genuinely not interested. I don't recognise hardly any of the so called 'stars' and prefer reading and music, everyone to their own.

So where's my promised fishing video m...rfckr?, I've waited over a year, you want to be a guide ?? well find a rod and a stream. Pizzas and Sammiches are getting you away from the important things in life, AND I DON'T WANT IT SHOT IN THE NUDE, pick a cold day.

ps Please don't use any tomatoes in the next few cookery videos, lets keep your ratings high.

Edited by RobMc

28 minutes ago, RobMc said:

Strangely I'm like you (ONLY IN THIS), I watch next to no MSM and when I do it's usually documentaries, I haven't watched a film in over 25 years, what I know about them comes from glimpsed articles on other sources. People are quite shocked that I've never watched some of the dross they appear hooked on, it's not snobbery, I'm genuinely not interested. I don't recognise hardly any of the so called 'stars' and prefer reading and music, everyone to their own.

So where's my promised fishing video m...rfckr?, I've waited over a year, you want to be a guide ?? well find a rod and a stream. Pizzas and Sammiches are getting you away from the important things in life, AND I DON'T WANT IT SHOT IN THE NUDE, pick a cold day.

ps Please don't use any tomatoes in the next few cookery videos, lets keep your ratings high.

I have the video from last summer; with some interesting shots, taking the viewer along for a ride around one of my haunts I've fished since childhood.  Just gotta dig it up & edit it.

• Member ID:  24118
  • Group:  + COD4 Moderator
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1075
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  9993
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  01/23/1962

So just curious if your apartment smells like ass with all that decay permeating your small space? 

5 hours ago, SGTSmeg said:

So just curious if your apartment smells like ass with all that decay permeating your small space? 

Red Wriggler worms are native to Europe; they live in the top 3-6 inches of the forest floor; just under the leaves.  They consume the AEROBIC -as in the presence of oxygen- microorganisms that decompose the organic matter- read leaves & twigs laying under the trees.  There is no smell, other than the rich smell of loam, humus.  The stench of which you speak- r0t- occurs under & is produces by ANaerobic microorganisms.  If I didn't lift the lid, one would not be able to guess what's in the bin. I feed them only that which they can consume within a 24-48 hour period; only adding additional food after what I've offered is consumed.  You could keep this under your office desk & not even notice....anywhere.  NO SMELL.  Do you smell the all-pervading stench of rot when you go for a walk in the woods?  That same process is occurring throughout the woods, everywhere in the world....

• Member ID:  24118
  • Group:  + COD4 Moderator
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1075
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  9993
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  01/23/1962

17 minutes ago, Timmah! said:

Red Wriggler worms are native to Europe; they live in the top 3-6 inches of the forest floor; just under the leaves.  They consume the AEROBIC -as in the presence of oxygen- microorganisms that decompose the organic matter- read leaves & twigs laying under the trees.  There is no smell, other than the rich smell of loam, humus.  The stench of which you speak- r0t- occurs under & is produces by ANaerobic microorganisms.  If I didn't lift the lid, one would not be able to guess what's in the bin. I feed them only that which they can consume within a 24-48 hour period; only adding additional food after what I've offered is consumed.  You could keep this under your office desk & not even notice....anywhere.  NO SMELL.  Do you smell the all-pervading stench of rot when you go for a walk in the woods?  That same process is occurring throughout the woods, everywhere in the world....

I love it, I learn something new every day!

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  6417
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Achievement Points:  54334
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

I have to say you nerding out on it makes it that much better...As a fishermen (past) in Pennsylvania streams, rivers, creeks, ponds and lakes raising our own worms were a plus...Always had a garden of something growing too...Dabbled in raising my own on the outside of the house...Time moved on and the old electric wand poked in the wet ground would force them all to the surface real fast 🤣...Electric cord plugged in hot on one pole and negative on the other about a good foot apart would push the probes in the ground and instant worms for fishing...Fook digging just don not forget to remove the hot before reaching down to grab one lmao

5 hours ago, SGTSmeg said:

I love it, I learn something new every day!

I, too try to...

3 hours ago, loaderXI said:

I have to say you nerding out on it makes it that much better...As a fishermen (past) in Pennsylvania streams, rivers, creeks, ponds and lakes raising our own worms were a plus...Always had a garden of something growing too...Dabbled in raising my own on the outside of the house...Time moved on and the old electric wand poked in the wet ground would force them all to the surface real fast 🤣...Electric cord plugged in hot on one pole and negative on the other about a good foot apart would push the probes in the ground and instant worms for fishing...Fook digging just don not forget to remove the hot before reaching down to grab one lmao

We're all b0rn natural scientists, with the Scientific Method literally wired into our DNA.  Curiosity & cause & effect, to wit:  Notice something, ask a question, observe & research (data) relevant to the question, make a prediction of what's going on & what's gonna happen given the information (hypothesis), test the hypothesis (which is just a story to explain a phenomenon), observe (gather data (information) to test hypothesis, draw a conclusion.  Did it answer the question?  Did it predict future results given the context, the system in which the phenomenon in question occurs?  NO?  repeat, refine.  Yes?:  Theory!  working theory.  4 year olds do this.  Crows, Corvids do this.  Manifold mammals do this.  An environment that has elements trying to kill you, & one in which you usually must also in-turn kill (participate) develops, evolves this trait of curiosity, observation (vigilance, too), to avoid being food & rather one who collects food & those other things which facilitate survival & advance our genes through reproduction.  

That hungry lion pride on the savannah, as you were resting in a tree with your simian compatriots...in a clade, if you will...an adjacent Orangutan, a gibbon...maybe even a chimp.  Well, Fred -not the smartest Catarrhine in the tree- is NOT in the tree; his dumb ass decided to rest his neck for a time comfortably under the tree.  Shortly, he was fueling feline mitochondria.  You notice & then hypothesize they went for low-hanging fruit, so-to-speak.  You hypothesize that they will do this in the future: make a prediction; and decide to make it a point of focus to rest perhaps a few branches higher from this day forward.  From your perch, you observe, as the days melt into weeks & months that, indeed the li0nesses do go for targets of convenience the vast majority of occasions they hunt, & have now formed:  A theory!; a working theory.  Everybody does it, since pre history.  It's encoded into our genes & fun to witness young ones practice what comes natural, before it's drubbed from far too many.

Edited by Timmah!

• Member ID:  29403
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  348
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/12/1995