Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Reverse osmosis system

Draygunnar

• Member ID:  28614
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  101
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  1231
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  05/22/1958
  • Device:  Windows

Is there anyone here that runs a RO ( system for drinking water? If so I could do with some advise please.  

• Member ID:  489
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  547
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  4668
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  41007
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  01/09/1963
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Yep, all I drink & cook with. Undersink models, the kitchen one is an Ecowater RO-335, have to look at what's under the bar. 

• Member ID:  989
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  261
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  17977
  • Content Per Day:  3.46
  • Achievement Points:  131729
  • Days Won:  251
  • Birthday:  01/27/1946

1 hour ago, TheLastColdBeer said:

Yep, all I drink & cook with. Undersink models, the kitchen one is an Ecowater RO-335, have to look at what's under the bar. 

That's @BUDMAN under the bar as usual   8P

• Member ID:  2923
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1242
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  8349
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1976

I have an under the sink one as well.  Really like it!

Ok I have a system that takes brackish water from a canal to produce drinking water. A 2.7lpm pump pushes water through 3 x 20” main filters then through 4 ro filters .q what pressure should the system be to obtain max flow rate. This pressure can be adjusted through  my waste at the moment which is free flow and  running at around 7 to 1

• Member ID:  2923
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1242
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  8349
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1976

I would think high pressure would be hard on the RO membranes.  But what you are asking is above my knowledge level.  Interested though.

• Member ID:  25355
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  5785
  • Content Per Day:  2.17
  • Achievement Points:  63247
  • Days Won:  132
  • Birthday:  01/05/1954

OK, this is all over the place, pump that 'pushes' the flow through filters in Litres per minute?? therefore it is pumping dirty water before any filtration, correct?

is 3 x 20 inches the depth and circumference of each filter, which as they do their job and get dirty will require more pressure for the same flow

Then a secondary filtration through 4 filters no idea about .q meaning?, but what really has me puzzled is the pressure can be adjusted by a 'free flow waste' so does this restrict it and cause a back pressure?? presume 7 to 1 is in bar?

However it is very very simple, just like your wires in electricity, the maximum flow available will be at the most restrictive point, you can't push it any harder. So the circumference of the smallest pipe is all you'll get, look up the formula on Google. Once you know how much should be coming through 'free flow' then with the filters in you'll need a gauge to increase pump pressure to get the same reading.

i.e. fit a pressure gauge at the end of the filtration, take all filters out put pump up to max and note reading. Stop, dial pump back, put filters in then increase pump to get 1st reading. Eventually as filters clog you'll have to increase pressure to get max flow.

I'll add a bit more, there is a fixed relationship between the pressure (pump), volume of water flow and circumference of the pipe (discounting aeration). So your circumference is a constant, fixed by the pipe size, leaving the only variables pressure and volume (related to each other). You cannot push any more through it than it will take, because it is liquid and does not compress (unlike a gas), once it reaches maximum then that is it, no more.

I need to understand how the pressure is affected by this free flow waste, i.e. the relationship in the system. Is the pump constant pressure? i.e. non adjustable, because if it is as I stated earlier I suspect the waste acts like a resistor. If this is so then you are always getting full flow as that is what the pump is supplying, the waste is merely restricting (calming down) the full flow.

Give us a bit better description of the system please

Edited by RobMc

• Member ID:  489
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  547
  • Content Count:  4668
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  41007
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  01/09/1963
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Got me m8, my supply & wash water are line pressure. Clean water is stored to holding, which I can adjust with an air assisted bladder. Clean water runs through separate faucets. Never paid attention to flow rates, cause I didn't care. 

21 hours ago, RobMc said:

OK, this is all over the place, pump that 'pushes' the flow through filters in Litres per minute?? therefore it is pumping dirty water before any filtration, correct?

is 3 x 20 inches the depth and circumference of each filter, which as they do their job and get dirty will require more pressure for the same flow

Then a secondary filtration through 4 filters no idea about .q meaning?, but what really has me puzzled is the pressure can be adjusted by a 'free flow waste' so does this restrict it and cause a back pressure?? presume 7 to 1 is in bar?

However it is very very simple, just like your wires in electricity, the maximum flow available will be at the most restrictive point, you can't push it any harder. So the circumference of the smallest pipe is all you'll get, look up the formula on Google. Once you know how much should be coming through 'free flow' then with the filters in you'll need a gauge to increase pump pressure to get the same reading.

i.e. fit a pressure gauge at the end of the filtration, take all filters out put pump up to max and note reading. Stop, dial pump back, put filters in then increase pump to get 1st reading. Eventually as filters clog you'll have to increase pressure to get max flow.

I'll add a bit more, there is a fixed relationship between the pressure (pump), volume of water flow and circumference of the pipe (discounting aeration). So your circumference is a constant, fixed by the pipe size, leaving the only variables pressure and volume (related to each other). You cannot push any more through it than it will take, because it is liquid and does not compress (unlike a gas), once it reaches maximum then that is it, no more.

I need to understand how the pressure is affected by this free flow waste, i.e. the relationship in the system. Is the pump constant pressure? i.e. non adjustable, because if it is as I stated earlier I suspect the waste acts like a resistor. If this is so then you are always getting full flow as that is what the pump is supplying, the waste is merely restricting (calming down) the full flow.

Give us a bit better description of the system please

Ty Rob what your saying makes a whole lot of sense. What I will do it construct a drawing with pipe diam and actual filters. I hadn't thought about bar reading before adding filters so I will do that. Also my pressure gauge sits between the 3 main fts and the ro filters. So is that best on the clean water output or the waste output?

2 hours ago, Draygunnar said:

Ty Rob what your saying makes a whole lot of sense. What I will do it construct a drawing with pipe diam and actual filters. I hadn't thought about bar reading before adding filters so I will do that. Also my pressure gauge sits between the 3 main fts and the ro filters. So is that best on the clean water output or the waste output?

Well in my humble opinion as you want full flow it should be after the filtration near the clean water output, but moving it now may be difficult. So doing it the way I say should still give you the base reading i.e. take out all filters run p/p (on max if possible) and take the pressure reading - this is full flow. You then need a way of measuring after filtration and before discharge.

But practically why is it so important? are you getting no pressure?

ps I would highly recommend a uv filter after the  physical ones, 

pps 7/1 ? if this is 7 bar it is quite high for a fw system your pipe joints must be good 

Edited by RobMc

I've suddenly remembered isn't it you who lives on a barge? There is in that case one important thing to check, the suction side to the p/p, especially if it hasn't been checked for a while. Ships and boats suck in water through a thing called a strum box, this usually has a filter fitted and must be clear. The diameter of the pipe must be sufficient to let the pump suck up enough water and not cavitate. In addition as it is on the dirty side over time it builds up with growth and restricts the flow, both these are the starting points of your check. In simple terms it is useless having a p/p that can give say 40 litres per minute if it can only suck 20.

If the boat is old and this is a retrofit it may not be correctly plumbed in.

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5080
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Achievement Points:  44606
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

I had a water treatment setup in the basement and a filter setup under the sink but our old Cast Iron Well casing is cracked. It tested positive for Surface Water Contamination. Since I live in the middle of a Large Produce Orchard that sprays chemicals I do not drink our water.

There is an old time Springhouse up the road that I had water tested and other than a bit of Iron it is good to drink. I lug 20 gallon of water to the house 1 some times 2 times a month for the 3 of us.

Drilling a new well will cost more than $20k and less than $40k depending on what dept they have to drill to. Witch is not currently budget able without taking a mortgage on the house especially with the current economy which is pretty much fucked especially for poor people such as us?. Atleast the house is paid off and we had a new Metal roof put on just before the pandemic.