Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Perk Details?

Sikon

• Member ID:  27340
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  5463
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/11/1980
  • Device:  Windows

So, we all use varies perks that work best for our play styles. I'm curious of how well some of them work. Not saying that they don't. Only wondering how much someone gains from one to the other. 

For instance;

• Stomping Power - Damage increase % ?
  • Venom - I felt like it only worked sometimes but noticed Combat Medics are immune.  For people without Combat medic automatically get infected? 
  • Light weight - Speed increase % ? Personally I 'don't' feel like sonic when I use it. lol Feels the same as Combat medic and Dead silence.
  • Commando - Knifing distance increase?
  • Hardwire - Eavesdrop distance? 'This can generally tell you how close someone is to you, assuming they speak. Sort of like footsteps without dead silence.'
  • Ballistic Armor - Damage protection % ? 
  • Hunter Killer - I've never used it, does thermal work?
  • Flak Jacket - Explosion protection damage % ?

There maybe a few I missed. These are just the ones I was curious about. 

• Obviously, some guns are heavier and as a result your movement speed is reduced or increased. Is this a gun-by-gun basis or class?

Everyone uses perks. For the longest time I really one stuck to probably two three variations of classes and changed them accordingly to how the match is going. 

The first few being;

• Combat Medic and dead silence, with emps or explosives... armor piercing... sometimes double tap. 
  • Hardline and hardwire, with explosives... armor piercing... sometimes double tap. 
  • All with or without three emps depending on how the match is going. Probably the main ar that everyone uses. 

Lately I've tried to branch out and use different things like venom, stomping power, flak jacket, the auto Glock, p90, and a few other things. 

This is probably a little over barring, but I've never looked it up on the original verson of the game and I don't feel I've seen posts about it. 

That aside, what is your preferred spec's? What are other game mechanics you're curious about that isn't generally talked about? (And I dont mean trash things you don't like.. legit things you've wondered that isn't normally brought up.)

Edited by Sikon

• Member ID:  27340
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  5463
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/11/1980

No one is curious about these things? I guess I’m just a weirdo. Lol after playing WoW for a long time my mind is like well what’s the stat increase. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤫

• Member ID:  1155
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1796
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/16/1976

Absolutely... The problem is that it is a lot of speculation on our part. However, since we've been playing this mod for the past year or so I think the speculation is probably getting close to reality.

I like switching up builds. I think that is something to people do not do enough. I bet many just have them all (or even just a couple) setup and then they just use that each time and don't change. I change my builds based on number of players, maps, and play styles of those that are on. 

On a normal map with 20 or more players I mostly use:
Sleight of hand (I like to reload fast if I am running and gunning)
Hardline (only needing 2 kills for a car is huge)
Hardwired (I don't care about cars as much as I care about being able to see through the damn 30 seconds of emp blindness which this blocks).

If there are few players I like to use Dead Silence instead of Hardline. I have begun to use Snatch & Grab on many maps if my team is dying too much for the super quick thaws. If it is a small map I often use Combat Medic in order to run all the way to their spawn. If too many clays and junk are getting me on an indoor map, I'll use Stealth. If too many tubers on opposing side I will sometimes use Flak Jacket. 

For Kill streaks I like: RC (no other is close accept UAV if you are close to overtime), Defroster UAV, and attack package. The 3 kill package now sucks and is usually not worth it. The attack package is occasionally great. 

Here is what I think about them all:
1.) Sleight of hand (Great tier), Double tap (I like this one too but had better luck with Sleight of hand), Stopping power (I notice NO difference in the kills or one shot kills - I know some people swear by it but I don't think it does much), Steady aim (with sniper only), Sonic Boom (PROBABLY WORST PERK, we experimented with it and it seemed to make no difference. Even with this perk a tube will not kill someone with Flak Jacket. I believe with no proof that everyone has Sonic Boom already due to the way grenades seem to have such as large radius), Armor Piercing (I again don't notice much difference and seem to still not be able to spam through much. I see some players spamming walls pretty good so maybe it is worth it), Venom (is dumb since if you bind a medpack you can automatically heal from it quickly). 

2.) Light Weight (I don't notice a speed difference even though others have swore by it), Snatch & Grab (Great tier, I wish more people would use this quick thawing perk), Scavenger (I actually haven't used this but after writing this I wonder if it could reload my tubes? - crap otherwise since people drop ammo when dead), Dead Silence (Great tier), Second Chance (people should be banned if they use this lol FU SMITHERS), Hardline (Great tier, a 2 car kill streak is over powered. Chaining kill streaks together is crazy - just watch Pootie), Commando (crap tier, we tried it with a knife only battle once for the increased range and it didn't seem to make a difference), Hacker (interesting perk that some like Decker use to good effect).

3.) Tactical Mask (I don't use but sometimes with all those people throwing smoke it tempts me), Hunter Killer (when sniper), Hardwired (Great / Legendary tier, car block AND PROTECTS FROM STUPID ASS EMP BLINDNESS), Combat Medic (Great tier, run into their spawn and kill everyone), Ballistic armor (unsure, I have used it a couple of times but still get one shot a lot - so I don't think it is worth it), Stealth (Great tier, run through the annoying clays and the enemy perks don't see you. Flak Jacket (just use this if you don't want me to tube you - then I'll switch to 3 emps or something), Gambler (the only perk I have never used - unknown).

• Member ID:  1155
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1796
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/16/1976

To expand on your 'game mechanics' that are not normally talked about...

Command line stuff and config (config_mp.cfg). There should almost be a tutorial on that, at least to let people change their fov (cg_fov) or draw and change their fps (cg_drawfps, and com_maxfps). There are many other ones that I don't know much about but just the idea of learning how to open the command line in the game (with the ~ key) and typing stuff. Just type cg_ or com_ and it will show you a lot of options. This config stuff is probably the bane of admins because this is where you get people turning off foliage (not sure which one it is) or setting the FPS to numbers they don't want. Its too bad the server couldn't just force the config to everyone and then no one would have to wonder if you have people out there with sketchy configs. Either way it is something that players should know about and makes a big quality of life improvement - like for the field of view. Why not a 'preferred' config file that the admins could create and just tell people to put that in their user folder? Then you wouldn't have to wonder if you are being a shit or not. 

Other miscellaneous shit:
FPS differences. This is just something I recently found about it. Apparently there are differences in the FPS mechanics. For example (this is what I heard take it with a grain of salt because I don't know for sure), 250fps will make you jump longer and faster, and 333fps will make you jump higher but not faster. The idea that these values (assuming your video card can handle them) make the game act different. 

Weird stuff I don't know much about. Someone was getting on to someone for straffe (strafe?) jumping. I have never heard of that or know what it is. I am curious. Is it illegal jumping? How is it done? Can it be done accidentally so that we do it when we don't know? I did see some Google results for it but thought it would be more fun to play the game in my free time than learn whatever the shit this is. 

Craziness. I saw a guy go to a corner once and basically jump / fly into the fucking sky and go onto the top of the map (this was in zombies)... He asked someone if the move (I forgot the name of what that was) was legal and they said no. But wtf was that? You can't even Google shit like that, sometime but it makes you wonder what is possible in this game and how many other crazy ass glitches like that there are. I can see why they are probably not pointed out, but I believe if everyone knew this crap they could identify people doing crazy stuff and help point them out to admins. 

• Member ID:  23233
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2414
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  19072
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  08/11/1963

thx for the hints since im pretty new on cod4 .

@Ruthless gambler is choosing random perk for you and it changes at every spawn ive used it to learn the different perks and effects.