Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Fall small mouth with @Tim3839

• Member ID:  29600
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  996
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/10/2003
  • Device:  iPhone

• Member ID:  26443
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  460
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  5924
  • Content Per Day:  2.53
  • Achievement Points:  50677
  • Days Won:  118
  • Birthday:  09/26/1971
  • Device:  Android

Good try, J0hnuh!

• Member ID:  433
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2305
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Achievement Points:  23815
  • Days Won:  35
  • Birthday:  05/28/1957
  • Device:  Macintosh

• Member ID:  27522
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1887
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Achievement Points:  13215
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/22/1951
  • Device:  Windows

Nice catch!

Awards

• Member ID:  989
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  261
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  17977
  • Content Per Day:  3.46
  • Achievement Points:  131729
  • Days Won:  251
  • Birthday:  01/27/1946

• Member ID:  23
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Content Count:  1828
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  16039
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  08/06/1960

I hear they fight like hell. You don't eat them do you?

On 11/2/2022 at 6:16 PM, PHUCKITMAN said:

I hear they fight like hell. You don't eat them do you?

No we release them 

On 11/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, Jonah said:

No we release them 

I used to release all the Largemouth Bass I caught because I don't like the taste or mushy meat but have never caught or eaten a Smallie. There are some nice ones in a Lake maybe 15 minutes from my house but have never fished for them so don't have any idea what avid Small Mouth fishermen know. Do they taste good? Here in Washington where the Trout are close to Salmon in Flavor and firmness because of our cold water are great eating with amazing taste and perfect for a camping breakfast or dinner with some fried potatoes and some biscuits. Only a few fisheries are catch and release only by law here. However if you use any kind of "Bait" for Trout you have to keep them regardless of size and a 5 fish per day limit with no culling allowed. I have a huge selection of great Trout Lures in my Tackle Boxes and you can release any Trout caught on a lure but I rarely use them anymore unless it is required on that body of water, I like sitting in my chair not making 500 casts a day anymore. I don't own a fishing boat except for a 4 person inflatable that would require at least $1,000.00 buy all the equipment I would need to use it every weekend. Things like a Air Compressor that doesn't drain my vehicles battery to inflate it, trolling motor mount that fits the rubber mounts on the bag of this boat, a Trolling Motor so I don't have to row plus I can keep track of "rm" here lol, a power source for that plus back-up, depth finder of some type, hard flooring material, better rear seat for my comfort, anchor and line, Rod holders, lights, life vests as well as some tackle purchases like different reels or spools for heavier line since I use 4lb test and some lures. I have the right size and type of Rods and Reels for smallies. However I plan to retire in about 5 years and will be doing a whole lot more fishing so I think I will be expanding my freshwater fishing species so maybe buying a smaller boat just for my needs will be a better way to go. If you don't mind Jonah or anyone else who wants to share "Honest Tips and Techniques" please reach our to me if you are cool with answering questions and sharing what you know. I don't want to hear things like "we are using 15lb down riggers and squid fishing on light line on the surface to catch these bad boys" I know enough to know when I am being lied to. Like the famous quote from Chinese Philosopher Lao Tzu founder of Taoism "Give a Man a Fish and you Feed him for a day. Teach him how to Fish you Feed him for a lifetime" That's why I taught a younger man born in India this Summer how to succeed catching Trout and when I go camping I always camp near water with fish in it and bring my gear. I may run out of food from the store but I won't starve in a emergency. Look forward to starting some fishermen sharing centuries of combined knowledge and experience. I am strictly Freshwater but we can share slat water as well if there is a interest???

2 hours ago, PHUCKITMAN said:

I used to release all the Largemouth Bass I caught because I don't like the taste or mushy meat but have never caught or eaten a Smallie. There are some nice ones in a Lake maybe 15 minutes from my house but have never fished for them so don't have any idea what avid Small Mouth fishermen know. Do they taste good? Here in Washington where the Trout are close to Salmon in Flavor and firmness because of our cold water are great eating with amazing taste and perfect for a camping breakfast or dinner with some fried potatoes and some biscuits. Only a few fisheries are catch and release only by law here. However if you use any kind of "Bait" for Trout you have to keep them regardless of size and a 5 fish per day limit with no culling allowed. I have a huge selection of great Trout Lures in my Tackle Boxes and you can release any Trout caught on a lure but I rarely use them anymore unless it is required on that body of water, I like sitting in my chair not making 500 casts a day anymore. I don't own a fishing boat except for a 4 person inflatable that would require at least $1,000.00 buy all the equipment I would need to use it every weekend. Things like a Air Compressor that doesn't drain my vehicles battery to inflate it, trolling motor mount that fits the rubber mounts on the bag of this boat, a Trolling Motor so I don't have to row plus I can keep track of "rm" here lol, a power source for that plus back-up, depth finder of some type, hard flooring material, better rear seat for my comfort, anchor and line, Rod holders, lights, life vests as well as some tackle purchases like different reels or spools for heavier line since I use 4lb test and some lures. I have the right size and type of Rods and Reels for smallies. However I plan to retire in about 5 years and will be doing a whole lot more fishing so I think I will be expanding my freshwater fishing species so maybe buying a smaller boat just for my needs will be a better way to go. If you don't mind Jonah or anyone else who wants to share "Honest Tips and Techniques" please reach our to me if you are cool with answering questions and sharing what you know. I don't want to hear things like "we are using 15lb down riggers and squid fishing on light line on the surface to catch these bad boys" I know enough to know when I am being lied to. Like the famous quote from Chinese Philosopher Lao Tzu founder of Taoism "Give a Man a Fish and you Feed him for a day. Teach him how to Fish you Feed him for a lifetime" That's why I taught a younger man born in India this Summer how to succeed catching Trout and when I go camping I always camp near water with fish in it and bring my gear. I may run out of food from the store but I won't starve in a emergency. Look forward to starting some fishermen sharing centuries of combined knowledge and experience. I am strictly Freshwater but we can share slat water as well if there is a interest???

Me personally. Every now and then we will eat small mouth. I’d say they taste alright haven’t ate enough to know for sure tho

3 hours ago, PHUCKITMAN said:

A variety of baits will work for small mouth year round   The only trick for them is finding a pattern. Cuz if there is one. There is definitely more. You may catch one. Hours later catch another or none at all. Sometimes won’t even get a nibble. They are tricky bastards. But that’s what makes it fun. Especially when you find that golden spot and there on fire all day. Sometimes there may only just be one big one looking for a snack in the back of a dock. Or near some big boulders or a sunken tree / log. They could be hiding in the grass waiting for there next meal. Usually fall/spring. Anything that resembles a crawdad usually works in my opinion. But your best option would be goin online and finding something that you think looks interesting or at a tackle shop. FISH BRAIN is a really neat app if you wanna find fishing locations near you. You can upload pictures on there and add locations and what bait you used. Some features you have to buy a monthly subscription. But I’ll jus look around on the map to see what other people have caught there. But at the end of the day. Worms and a bobber 😂 

On 11/9/2022 at 9:42 PM, Jonah said:

Me personally. Every now and then we will eat small mouth. I’d say they taste alright haven’t ate enough to know for sure tho

Maybe if you filet one out and batter it like fish and chips it might taste good? The reason they batter and fry some fish is because they sometimes don't use the best quality fish. Tilapia and Pollock are just 2 fish I can think of that most 1st world people who enjoyed a good quality fish that wasn't as expensive as Salmon or Halibut or Tuna or Sword Fish. Some people say Trout plants can taste muddy but it is just a minor diet issue and not every fish tastes like that. I went fishing this morning 2 hours before dawn to a Lake I have never fished since it had just had 1,000 1.25 lb plus fish from a hatchery that is up near the Canadian Border and produces some quality fish because of the very fresh clean cold water. I figured like most planted fish in that first week they won't move much and I was able to catch my 5 fish limit and 3 of them had salmon colored while the 2 smallest ones were on the lighter side. Found a new place that is less then 1/2 hour drive from my house with a ton of shore access. I will try to post pictures tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  213
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  5644
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/06/1963

the last nice smallmouth I got this year, but going Saturday!  I wouldnt eat these in place of walleye or crappie, but you certainly can, they arent as good, id rather let em go and gro.image.thumb.jpeg.2ec07dff5b33891d6d06fc35b426f679.jpeg