Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Problems connecting to servers

jimpjr

• Member ID:  1526
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  277
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/07/1998

When Jimp snr is playing on cod5 and cod4 servers and i want to join i keep geting a time out, in the game browser the server he is on is only shown up as the IP but if i go on a server my dad can come and join. does anyone know what this problem could be it only happens on my PC

• Member ID:  92
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2241
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Achievement Points:  13358
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/09/1977

This sounds like a DNS issue.  Firstly open up command prompt (start, and in the run or windows, type cmd).  You will get a black window appear.  At the cursor, type ipconfig /flushdns (that space is supposed to be there).  It should reply saying it has flushed your dns.  At the same prompt, now type ping google.co.uk (you should see 4 replies from an ip address).  This will indicate that your dns is working.  Try the game again.

Let me know if you still have issues. 

Cavey

This sounds like a DNS issue.  Firstly open up command prompt (start, and in the run or windows, type cmd).  You will get a black window appear.  At the cursor, type ipconfig /flushdns (that space is supposed to be there).  It should reply saying it has flushed your dns.  At the same prompt, now type ping google.co.uk (you should see 4 replies from an ip address).  This will indicate that your dns is working.  Try the game again.

Let me know if you still have issues. 

Thanks mate it works now cheers

NP Mate :)

It worked the first time but now its not any advice?

OK.  Firstly you can set your network card to do a dns lookup or your router.  The way to check, is either going to the properties or your network card and seeign if dns is set to dynamic.  Another way, is to use the command prompt as above, and type nslookup.  It will come back with an IP address, which should be take of your router.  This means your network card is set to look at the router settings.

If above turns out to be as I expect, then I have to ask if either you or your Dad played around with the settings within the router.  Most routers have an option to set dynamic DNS or fixed DNS.  Most people don't plat with this, and is normally set to dynamic, which means it will automatically get the DNS records from your ISP.  If you have it set to fixed, you must make sure the primary and seconardary dns IP addresses are those provided by your ISP.

If only one pc in your house is suffering with this, then it isn't your router at fault.  Either your network card has had fixed dns IP Addresses applied, or your network card is playing up.  I would help tonight, but a bit busy.  I should on in the evenings this week, and can help you out.  However DNS problems shouldn't completely stop you playing.  As long as you know the IP address of the server you want to connect to, you should still be able to game.  Best bet is add the server ip and port through xfire, and connect that way.  Keeps you ticking over until we catch up.