Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

MW3 Game crashes?

EVGAFTW

• Member ID:  3027
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  45
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/14/1988

My game will randomly crash during a game. Black screen. Looped over sound clip that was playing at the time. I have to power it down to get out of it.

I don't understand what's up with this. My PC will play everything fine and COD BO plays at extremely good frame rates. with the game on auto settings.

When I play with MW3 on auto settings it turns everything down to like a 400x600 resolution. I naturally turn it up to 1024x768 and everything looks fine. I've tried DX 9 and still crashes.

At first I thought sound was crashing. Now I thing it's my video card?

PC Specs:

Q9550 Core 2 Quad @ 2.8 Ghz

OCZ Reaper 4 GB Kit - 800 Mhz - 5-5-5-18

ASUS - Republic of Gamers - Maximus II Formula mainboard

Visiontek HD 3870 512 MB - 2297 MB Total Memory

SupremeFX X-Fi Sound Card

20 LED monitors @ 1600x900

• Member ID:  542
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  311
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1628
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Achievement Points:  11299
  • Birthday:  03/01/1975

it could be this Visiontek HD 3870 512 MB

•  

Make sure that you meet the minimum system requirements

Make sure that you have the latest video and sound drivers from the manufacturer's website. Links to common video and sound manufacturer websites are listed below:

Video:
ATI
Nvidia

Sound:
Creative Sound Blaster
Realtek Onboard Audio
Dell Audio Drivers
HP Audio Drivers
Asus Xonar

Set your desktop to a resolution of 1024x768, 32 bit True Color.

For Windows XP
1) Right-click on your desktop and select Properties.
2) Click the Settings tab.
3) Set your screen area to 1024x768.
4) Set the colors to Highest (32 bit).
5) Click Apply and OK.

For Windows Vista\Windows 7
1) Right-click on your desktop and select Personalize.
2) Click on Display Settings
3) Set the resolution slider to 1024X768
4) Set the colors to Highest (32 bit).
5) Click Apply and OK.

All background applications should be shut down prior to running the game.

1) Go to the Start bar and select Run. (If you are on Vista or Windows 7, hit the Windows key and the R key at the same time)
2) In the Run window, type in msconfig and hit enter.
3) Once the utility comes up, go to the Startup tab and hit the Disable All button.
4) Next go to the Services tab and check the “Hide All Microsoft Services” checkbox and then hit the Disable All button.
5) Hit the OK button and close the utility, and restart your computer when prompted to.

Please note that this method will shut down all background applications including your virus scanning software. If later on you decide you want to re-enable programs that were closed down, you can undo these changes by simply un-checking the Hide all Microsoft Services box and hitting Enable All on both the mentioned tabs.

The Windows OS allows you to have lots of different programs running at the same time. Sometimes these programs do not play happily together and create problems. Many modern games are very demanding on your computer. Some game problems can be solved by making sure that the game is the only program on the field. Limiting the number of other applications and programs running can help your system and program performance across the board, not with just games. Virus scanning and other security programs often use a large amount of memory and access the files on your harddrive frequently. This frequent harddrive access can slow your computer down if these programs are running in the background while the game is running. You should shut down as many programs as possible to lower the amount of memory being used before you launch the game. For Windows XP your system should only be using about 100 to 120 MB of memory before launching the game. For Windows Vista or Windows 7 that number should be around 700 to 1000 MB. You can check the amount of memory being used by clicking on the Performance tab in the Task Manager.

Once you complete the steps above then your system is ready to run the game. These steps can clear up a lot of problems you may be experiencing. Your performance may also increase because you have more memory free and more resources are available to the game. Not only can this make games run more smoothly, but applications can benefit from this, as well.

Turn the hardware acceleration for your sound card to Basic.
1) Click the Start button > Settings > Control Panel.
2) Double-click on the Multimedia icon.
3) Select the Audio tab.
4) Click on the Advanced Properties button in the Playback section.
5) Click on the Performance tab.
6) Reduce the Hardware acceleration to Basic, the 2nd notch from the left.
7) Click Apply and then OK 2 times. Run the game now. Don't forget to turn the acceleration back up to restore the high-end features for your sound card when using other applications.

Windows XP
1) Click the Start button > Settings > Control Panel.
2) Double-click the Sounds and Audio Devices icon.
3) Click the Volume tab.
4) Under Speaker settings, click the Advanced button.
5) Click the Performance tab.
6) Reduce the Hardware acceleration to Basic, the 2nd notch from the left.
7) Click Apply and then OK 2 times. Run the game now. Don't forget to turn the acceleration back up to restore the high-end features for your sound card when using other applications.

NOTE: Windows Vista and Windows 7 do not have Sound Acceleration. Sound Acceleration will always appear as Basic in DXDIAG.

If you need additional assistance please contact our support team by clicking the "Ask a Question" tab at the top of the page or check out www.activision.com/codsupport for information on how to get in touch with us.

I have updated all my drivers today. I will disable the services and start up option and try the game again.

My card plays this game fine. I've seen numerous people run it with the same card without issues and at decent settings. Hopefully I can get it to play correctly.

Same thing. IDK what to do now but to stick to CODBO because Skyrim has issues too.

• Member ID:  542
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  311
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1628
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Achievement Points:  11299
  • Birthday:  03/01/1975

ok launch game to multiplayer at the main screen goto settings then video. Under video click on advanced and goto image quality set it to native. Also make sure your game resolution is set to the same as your desktop resolution and try that.

If that doesnt work also try this:  go into your steam library find Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3-Multiplayer right click on it and choose properties.  Then click on local files and then click on verify integrity of game cache. Let it run after it sompletes try launching the game and see if that works.

I've verified game cache already. I'll do the image quality and resolution as well in a bit. Thanks for your help. Hope I figure this out. Don't have the money to upgrade cards at the moment.