Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

• Member ID:  21114
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  634
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hyperkin just released the Retron 5 a day or so ago. It's $200 instead of $100 like they projected. Although the specs are good and it's really the only option for retro gaming on a HDTV. (Composite cables show up black and white picture on competent cable). It has HDMI out, wireless bluetooth controller, hard drive ect.

Anyone going to buy the Retron 5?

Haven't decided yet, I might not get my $200 worth though. When I bought the Call of Duty games, with all the multiplayer hrs I could say the money was well spent.

For those who don't know what a Retron 5 is, it's a retro cartridge game emulator. Plays NES,SNES, FAMI, Super FAMIcom, GENESIS, Sega Master System (with converter), and Gameboy Advanced. It suppose to be a big jump from Retron 3 since it's got much better wireless controllers, more game type support, game saves, ect.

Not sure if it plays Master System cards, but Sega Genesis console does with the power base converter.

I'd wish they'd add N64 cartridge support so I can play Battle Tanx again. But then again N64 didn't really take off so they might not add that in the next Retron (insert number here).

• Member ID:  2759
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  199
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3496
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  26464
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/27/1990

interesting. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it though....   :|

• Member ID:  21114
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  634
  • Days Won:  0

Actually now that you brought up $50 as your price range, the Retron 3 is around $45 on ebay. The Retron 3 retails for $69.99 but since it's been out for some time you can get it for less.

You'd be stuck using stock original controllers since the wireless IR ones in the Retron 3 are terrible from what I read. Plus it's got composite out so it's black and white on HDTV but color on CRT TV's. If you got a old CRT TV and want to just use the original controllers anyways. Then this is something to consider.

There is also the Retro-Bit Super Trio which has a MSRP of $69.99. It's a direct competitor of the Retron 3 as it supports the same game cartridge types (NES, SNES, GENESIS).