Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Sugestions on Upgrading my Laptop

NAME_N0T_FOUND

• Member ID:  24063
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  612
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I'm looking to an upgrade soon and I'd prefer to not have to build a whole new rig. Currently I have a 2014 MSI GT70 with a gtx770m card. The highest upgrade I can find for my specific laptop is a gtx980m, but that is still a little outdated considering the power of the newer 1000 series cards (a new 1080 is only about $150 more than a used 980m). Would it be best to go with a full size card and have it mounted externally? If so does anyone know the best way to do so? The 770m card has just been cast into the "outdated" section as most games recomend at least 4gb video memory and it only has 3gb. I'd like to be able to run new games on ultra settings (if not at least very high) with a respectable frame rate. Right now Ghost Recon Wildlands runs at 20fps on medium settings. BF1 runs 40-50 fps on low, but the lack of dedicated vram shows in action heavy scenes with fps drops down to 1-5 range. Just asking you guys because someone is bound to know something.

Awards

• Member ID:  20371
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  159
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  306
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  2727
  • Birthday:  06/11/1966
  • Device:  Windows

You can externally mount a full size card IF and only IF you have USB 3.1 and it needs to have full USB 3.1 spec compliance.

The thing about laptops, they are not very upgradeable and they are usually limited by a bios whitelist to what you can use to upgrade. They want you to buy their parts and their parts only.

You can sometimes find a Bios update that will open the whitelist (if it has one) on older laptops allowing you a better upgrade path. 

That being said I would reccomend you upgrade the RAM to 16gb and go with the 980m you should see a performance increase.

Does that lappy have a SSD or just the 1tb 7200rpm drive? I would suggest an SSD for the main operating system and the games you play the most

The best advice I can give you is get a new laptop or build a PC

Edited by ~Marley

It has the 1TB hdd. I did some searching and I'm 98% for building a new pc ground up.

Awards

A buddy from college helped me out with a potential build list. What do you think? https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mr.Saxy/saved/LDsxrH

Awards