Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

>Xi< Avid Golfers? Possibly Official >Xi< Golf Thread

Astronomer

• Member ID:  2069
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  214
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2411
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  18298
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  08/08/1966
  • Device:  Windows

I tried golf over a dozen years ago and I didn't get it, and didn't really enjoy it. It held no appeal to me, and wasn't terribly fun, though I enjoyed randomly smashing a few buckets at the driving range now and then. I read a few books and worked on the basics, but it didn't take hold.

Flash-forward to my mid-40's: In the Spring of 2012 my employer held a company tournament at a nice resort. I had tremendous fun and hit a few decent shots with my dad's never-used gifted hand-me-down clubs. Later that year, I rented very decent clubs and played a round at the best new golf course in North America (Cabot Links. Google it) and had a shockingly stunning round and just enjoyed the heck out of it - the scenery, the company, the shots, the...everything. I played further rounds that Summer and based on the kit used at Cabot, built up a nice set of clubs sized for my physique and novice status. Now I am hooked on the sport, reading avidly on it, perfecting my grip, stance, swing, etc, and watching the Golf Channel and keenly observing the technique of the pros, looking for hints and tips. Lessons for the Spring are being lined up and I've forged a connection with a group of like-minded colleagues. Plans are being set for weekly rounds at the nearby municipal courses and monthly excursions to courses in the surrounding area.

Are there other avid newbies/experienced golfers in >XI<? Have >XI< members gathered to play a round? What courses have you played and would recommend? What's your favourite gear? Best shot? Best experience? Worst Experience? Funniest experience?

• Member ID:  96
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  107
  • Topic Count:  1048
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  8812
  • Content Per Day:  1.65
  • Achievement Points:  62176
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/30/1954
  • Device:  Windows

I'm pretty sure they play a few rounds at the XI fest!!!

• Member ID:  2974
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  177
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/06/1971

I had the same experience. In college, we had to take a phys ed class of some sort, and one of my roomates was an avid golfer so I used his clubs. It was fun but I just never quite got bit with it. At my 15 year HS reunion we had a tournament and I joined with a couple of friends and fell into it heavily that year. I try to play but my job and kids have gotten in the way. I regret the years I had before family when I could have played often.