Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Anyone Use A Gigabyte G1.assassin 2 Motherboard?

Volvotech

• Member ID:  808
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  292
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/24/1966
  • Device:  Windows

Here's a link to the board:

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4046#ov

In the process of building a new system. I've already got the processor, so it has to be an X79 board. I've had really good luck with Gigabyte and terrible luck with Asus (1 board RMA'd 4 times)

I can pick one up new for approx 260.00 and it comes with 5 year warranty from Gigabyte

The reviews for the most part are pretty favorable for this board, but wondering if anyone has first hand experience with this one.

• Member ID:  389
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4478
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36573
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  40
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970
  • Device:  Windows

20/80 seems  in review

Cons: Drivers: Gigabyte has done a horrible job ensuring that the latest drivers from vendors are available on their support site for the Assassin2. For example, the only properly usage driver for the on-board Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is at least a year old, and when installed it checks with Creative for updates. However, it reports that there is no recognizable or supported hardware installed (but that's not true). The intel drivers are massively outdated, especially the X79 RST Enterprise SATA drivers (which are at version 3.5). Moreover, the Intel SATA RSTe firmware is is OLD, at version 3.1 if you use a BETA bios, and 3.0.x otherwise. Additionally, the latest ATI 7000 series HD card drivers install a sound driver for HDMI compatibility that breaks the antiquated gigabytem X-Fi driver, telling you that the X-Fi driver is no longer compatible with up to date AMD drivers. Next, I've had consistent issues with RAID 0 and the on-board Intel based controller where the second SSD (an OCZ Vertex 4 512 set) in the array keeps dropping. When connected to a 3ware/LSI 9750 they work without issue (if not very slowly by comparison). Lastly, where the Mavell SATA controller is actually decent on comparable Asus boards, it's pretty slow on the Assassin2, once again to firmware most likely.

Other Thoughts: Ive owns tons of Gigabyte products over the years, and they were the reason I stopped using Asus boards / cards. However, Gigabyte has dropped the ball on the X79 LGA2011 Assassin2 product. Especially, 3rd party firmware and drivers for the Intel Enterprise, Marvell, and Creative Labs chipsets. I had a heat sink fall off of a Radeon 6900HD based card, and now this... I think my next system will be another vendor.

buy it if cheap

if get this MB  update bios to F12l before installing OS and get all hardware current drivers

note: sound driver is third party .....SB/CT is crap IMHO