Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

mouse sensitivity, help.

ArticBlue87

• Member ID:  20834
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  325
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  1857
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

A lot of competitive gamer's in FPS go for low DPI and a low in-game sensitivity. A lot of them use 400-800 DPI. I'm currently at 800 DPI and 20% or so in-game sensitivity and would like to drop the in-game sensitivity further. I've found with a lower DPI, that I can be more accurate when engaging in fire fights. A lot of times you may move your mouse slightly and mess your aim with higher DPI. I've played with a higher DPI and low sensitivity and it really didn't work out too well as I was too inaccurate during short-med gun ranges where if it was abit lower and less "twitchy" I could have won that fire fight. You aren't really going to be doing 360 in-game and it will be more of a 180. I've linked a pretty good infantry player that has low sensitivity in-game and low DPI: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/ELEVATE-Lead/

Edit: Wanted to add that it also helps with recoil control as well. I've seen my accuracy increase from 12-13% to most games now 16%+ and I've hit 20%+ at times. 

Edited by acucats07

• Member ID:  20884
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  1812
  • Birthday:  06/10/1989

sounds like everyone has a different sensitivity that works for them, I think since my normal accuracy is in the 16-22% range, im not gonna mess with it.

• Member ID:  3113
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1228
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  9622
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/15/1980

A lot of competitive gamer's in FPS go for low DPI and a low in-game sensitivity. A lot of them use 400-800 DPI. I'm currently at 800 DPI and 20% or so in-game sensitivity and would like to drop the in-game sensitivity further. I've found with a lower DPI, that I can be more accurate when engaging in fire fights. A lot of times you may move your mouse slightly and mess your aim with higher DPI. I've played with a higher DPI and low sensitivity and it really didn't work out too well as I was too inaccurate during short-med gun ranges where if it was abit lower and less "twitchy" I could have won that fire fight. You aren't really going to be doing 360 in-game and it will be more of a 180. I've linked a pretty good infantry player that has low sensitivity in-game and low DPI: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/ELEVATE-Lead/

Edit: Wanted to add that it also helps with recoil control as well. I've seen my accuracy increase from 12-13% to most games now 16%+ and I've hit 20%+ at times. 

I dont think they understand DPI or interpolation.  400-800 DPI with 20% sensitivity is the same as say 6000DPI with 1% - by same I mean it will feel litterally the same without "twitches".  It just wont be as smooth as to handle 20% sensitivity the mouse will just interpolate its data points.  aka, it will reduce the number of data points to make up for higher sensitivity.  The easiest way to prove this?  Set 800 DPI at 20% then go play a sniper with a 8x scope.  Then set to 6000 DPI and 1% and do the same.  You'll notice it is insanely easier to stay on target.

But as Oneill said, really everyone just has their own preference that they get used to.  If it works, use it.

P.S. That person also has 934897290378907054 more kills than me in half the time played and only plays Locker, as well as plays one single class.  So basically, fuck that person.  Boring.  :P  lol

Edited by OddJob001

I dont think they understand DPI or interpolation. 400-800 DPI with 20% sensitivity is the same as say 6000DPI with 1% - by same I mean it will feel litterally the same without "twitches". It just wont be as smooth as to handle 20% sensitivity the mouse will just interpolate its data points. aka, it will reduce the number of data points to make up for higher sensitivity. The easiest way to prove this? Set 800 DPI at 20% then go play a sniper with a 8x scope. Then set to 6000 DPI and 1% and do the same. You'll notice it is insanely easier to stay on target.

But as Oneill said, really everyone just has their own preference that they get used to. If it works, use it.

P.S. That person also has 934897290378907054 more kills than me in half the time played and only plays Locker, as well as plays one single class. So basically, fuck that person. Boring. :P lol

I said I used 20% in-game sensitivity not him. You can look at his profile and see that his is much lower. A lot of competitive players can explain to you the difference between the high and low interpolation rates as well as polling rates. I believe jack frags and levelcap both go over sensitivity and dpi.

Also if you search on BattleLog forums you can tell there is a lot of back and forth however, most players agree that low dpi low sens is the way to go with being more accurate.

I said I used 20% in-game sensitivity not him. You can look at his profile and see that his is much lower. A lot of competitive players can explain to you the difference between the high and low interpolation rates as well as polling rates. I believe jack frags and levelcap both go over sensitivity and dpi.

I can too.  high interpolation = bad.  

Low polling rate = bad.

Professional BF4 players = Get a life.

I can too. high interpolation = bad.

Low polling rate = bad.

Professional BF4 players = Get a life.

• Member ID:  20902
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1279
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  9614
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

i feel i turn to slow with low dpi. since i have gotten a better mouse with higher k/d my k/d has improved dramatically. from about .75 to 1.00 in a month or so.

that says for noobs though :P

I think a lot of it has to do with grip as well though, I use the fingertip grip which basically means that only my fingertips touch the mouse and I anchor my wrist. This means that that the movement of the mouse is very limited as there is only so much surface area my fingertips can reach, which means I need an extremely high sensitivity otherwise id be lifting my mouse constantly in order to reset it to the middle of my grip.

Because of my grip accucats I could never play with that low of a sensitivity, but I also believe that my grip allows me to be more precise and increases my agility and reaction speed overall.

As far as the DPI argument goes, I believe its just another sensitivity slider and that high or low dpi, I'm not missing any "pixels" or skipping around like some seem to think, but I did take oddjob's advice and maxed the dpi to 5600 and in game sensitivity to 14%, it seems the same so I am gonna keep it set as that and see if I notice any difference over time. Ill report back if I notice a significant difference.

Edited by Oneill

I think a lot of it has to do with grip as well though, I use the fingertip grip which basically means that only my fingertips touch the mouse and I anchor my wrist. This means that that the movement of the mouse is very limited as there is only so much surface area my fingertips can reach, which means I need an extremely high sensitivity otherwise id be lifting my mouse constantly in order to reset it to the middle of my grip.

Because of my grip accucats I could never play with that low of a sensitivity, but I also believe that my grip allows me to be more precise and increases my agility and reaction speed overall.

As far as the DPI argument goes, I believe its just another sensitivity slider and that high or low dpi, I'm not missing any "pixels" or skipping around like some seem to think, but I did take oddjob's advice and maxed the dpi to 5600 and in game sensitivity to 14%, it seems the same so I am gonna keep it set as that and see if I notice any difference over time. Ill report back if I notice a significant difference.

Get a bigger mousepad...

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. most of this conversation boils down to just about anything with this game: choose what you like and feel comfortable with and who cares what other people play at, right? By the way the ESL guys (who cares, nothing but nerds right, yet we still play the game), about 50% typically lift their mice constantly. I have to when I run out of mousepad :(

Get a bigger mousepad...

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. most of this conversation boils down to just about anything with this game: choose what you like and feel comfortable with and who cares what other people play at, right? By the way the ESL guys (who cares, nothing but nerds right, yet we still play the game), about 50% typically lift their mice constantly. I have to when I run out of mousepad :(

lol I don't think you understand the fingertip grip, a mousepad the size of a coaster would probably fit me better as i don't use about 60% of my mousepad.

here is a good video showing the different types of grips.

lol I don't think you understand the fingertip grip, a mousepad the size of a coaster would probably fit me better as i don't use about 60% of my mousepad.

Sorry I misread your post at work. I do have a job.

+1 for fingertip grip.  I didnt realize there was another way to use a mouse.

• Member ID:  20902
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1279
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  9614
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

I like that he is topless

I like that mouselad noticed the six pack and probably didn't listen to a word he said.

• Member ID:  21259
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  71
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  457
  • Birthday:  03/13/1987

starting to get that aim in. down from 6600dpi to 5000dpi and ingame sens is about 2% (should be 3%, cant recall atm.)