Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Gun Nuts Please

Dark Asylumn

• Member ID:  809
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  41
  • Topic Count:  251
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2835
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  20374
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/25/1979
  • Device:  Windows

Hey guys I have a big question

My father had a remington 870  it took 2 1/2 " shells and had a full choke

it got stolen a few years ago ( he says stolen I say misplaced; several moves bc of a house fire)

now he is a squirell hunter and a rabbit hunter, he said that was the best damn setup he has ever had ( he bought it from a dear friend years ago)

now I am wanting to get him a replacement fopr his birthday and want to get him a 870 but I am not sure what would be good for small game hunting. I mean, I really want him to love this gun I get him and want to make sure it will be perfect for what he does. any advice will be appreciated,

and I know a few of you will probabally recommend some other gun but I am gonna stick with the 870 just bc that is what he had. I would love to get him a wingmaster but  not for the mint they ask for it compared to all the other models lo$300-$500 more lol

• Member ID:  542
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  311
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1628
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Achievement Points:  11299
  • Birthday:  03/01/1975

thank you sun I guess youfigured out it was a 12 ga I was talking about I forgot to put that in

looks nice but its in camo and I am gonna get him one that is the natural color dark stock and black barrell. (it what he had)  but thanks for that it helps

• Member ID:  542
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  311
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1628
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Achievement Points:  11299
  • Birthday:  03/01/1975

the last one is the right color scheme though the black scheme I might have to get for myself. Question the first and last gun were just expersses the black one was a super mag I know it holds all three shell lenghts,  do I need to look at the express or the super mag

• Member ID:  715
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943

Absolutely nothing wrong with just getting the 12 GA Remington 870 it's a gun with a great history. As with any shotgun you have a full range of shot sizes depending on the game animal you are hunting. If it's squirrels they are tough little buggers but my guess is #6 shot should do nicely

My guess is this is the model you are looking for:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-wingmaster.aspx

Choke size is arbitrary but the full allows you to reach a little further with a tighter shot pattern. Personally I would also go for the 3" version over the 2 3/4"

Barrel length is another option to consider with 28" and 30" being the most common. 28" for faster shots (rabbits, grouse) 30" for longer shots with a little better sight plane ( sqirrels, goose). Basically comes down to individual preference.

If you want some flexibility with the choke a gunsmith can install an aftermarket adjustable choke.

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke2.htm

If your father is older and would want a lighter gun do not rule out the 20GA. Again, personal preference prevails. It's just that the 20 will be lighter and has actually become quite popular of late. Especially because of the 3" loads.

It would seem Gorilla and SirHurtsAlot would also be good ones to offer opinions, maybe PM them. Both are familiar with guns not that there are not others but they come to mind.

thank you hagar  again I would love to get him the wingmaster but the pricepoint is way to high.  If i offered him a 20 ga he would probabaly shoot me with it (old school) I have a single shot 20 and everytime we went he would ask me if I planned on killing the fleas on the squirell or did I wanna use a real gun and actually kill one ( can I add that my aim is worse in real life then it is on our servers lol). I have been pullin bits of inffo out of him about it trying to do it without raising his suspicions. but would the super mag be better just bc of the viriety of lenghts it will hold, and also wince he is a more active squirell than rabbit hunter should I look for the 30" over a 28 like you stated previously

oh and how lax are our gun laws lol

Quick Reference

Rifles and Shotguns

• Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
  • Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
  • Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
  • Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No

Handguns

• Permit to purchase handgun? No
  • Registration of handguns? No
  • Licensing of owners of handguns? No
  • Permit to carry handguns? Yes

Purchase

No state permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

Residents of the Commonwealth of Kentucky who are citizens of the United States shall have the right to purchase or otherwise acquire rifles, shotguns, handguns, and any other firearms which they are permitted to purchase or otherwise acquire under federal law and the Kentucky Revised Statutes from properly licensed dealers, manufacturers, importers, or collectors, and unlicensed individual person in Kentucky or in any other state or nation outside of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Posession

No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

Carrying

It is unlawful to carry a concealed firearm on or about one's person. This applies to carrying a concealed firearm in one's own premises or dwelling.

Exempt from this prohibition are persons issued a license to carry concealed firearms, police officers, agents and messengers of express companies when on duty, and U.S. mail carriers on duty.

"Concealed on or about the person" has been recently defined as "concealment in such proximity to the person as to be convenient of access and within immediate physical reach."

Kentucky courts consider firearms located under a driver's seat concealed "on or about" the person, and are, therefore, unlawful. Firearms located in glove compartments, locked or unlocked, are not considered concealed.

The Department of Kentucky State Police shall issue a license to carry concealed firearms if the applicant:

• Is a citizen of the United States who is a resident of this Commonwealth and has been a resident for 6 months or longer.

• Is a citizen of the United States who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is on active duty, who is at the time of application assigned to a military posting in Kentucky, and who has been assigned to a posting in the Commonwealth for 6 months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.

• Is at least 21 years of age.

• Is not ineligible to possess a firearm pursuant to federal or state law.

• Is not a fugitive from justice.

• Is not under indictment for, or have been convicted of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.

• Has not been adjudicated an incompetent and has not been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.

• Has not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

• Has not been committed to a state or federal facility for the abuse of a controlled substance or been convicted of a misdemeanor relating to controlled substances within 3 years.

• Does not have two or more convictions for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or other substance which impairs driving ability within 3 years immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted.

• Does not owe a child support arrearage which equals or exceeds the cumulative amount which would be owed after 1 year of nonpayment.

• Has complied with any subpoena or warrant relating to child support or paternity proceedings.

• Has not been convicted of a violation of Assault in the fourth degree or Terroristic Threatening in the third degree within the three 3 years immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted.

• Demonstrates competence with a firearm by successful completion of a firearms safety course offered or approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Training.

The firearms safety course shall:

• a) Be not more than 8 hours in length.

B) Include instruction on handguns, the safe use of handguns, the care and cleaning of handguns and handgun marksmanship principles.

c) Include actual range firing of a handgun in a safe manner and the firing of not more than 20 rounds at a full-size silhouette target, during which firing, not less than 11 rounds must hit the silhouette portion of the target.

d) Include information on and a copy of laws relating to possession and carrying of firearms and laws relating to the use of force.

The application shall be obtained from and submitted to the office of the sheriff in the county in which the applicant resides. The application fee is $60. The license is valid statewide for 5 years. The applicant shall submit a recent color photograph and a photocopy of a certificate of completion of a course that demonstrates competence with a firearm. The application will be sent to the Kentucky State Police within five working days.

The Department of Kentucky State Police shall, within 90 days, either issue a license or deny the application, in which case the applicant shall be informed in writing of the grounds for denial and his right to submit, within 30 days, documentation relating to the denial.

The applicant shall also be informed of the right to seek review of the denial in the District Court of his place of residence. The applicant shall further be informed of their right to seek de novo review of the denial in the District Court of his or her place of residence.

Effective July 12, 2006, U.S. citizenship is required to be eligible to obtain a CCDW license. A CCDW License Application- Citizenship Affidavit must be completed and submitted to the sheriff of your county of residence to be attached to the application.

The licensee shall carry the license at all times the licensee is carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon.

• Member ID:  143
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  414
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  2514
  • Birthday:  08/25/1966

If it's small game the old man is after then this beauty would due nicely.

uhhhhh I think the commonwealth has laws on automatics lol.

but hey I want this weapons mod on the server  hey game admins can you please please please with sugar on top find a way to incorporate the aa-12 in the servers

ha ha  I know yall cant but would be fun lol

ohh upon closer examination this is the only clause about  automatic guns of the such (doesnt say automatic) which they talk about is machine guns

Machine Guns

It is lawful to possess, purchase, or sell a machine gun that is legally registered and possessed in compliance with all federal laws and regulations.

oh look what was dropped in my lap  5 years after we moved and bam old landlord found his gun. it was a Wingmaster after all. he got a better deal then he thought 20+ years ago lol

remington 87001.JPGremington 87003.JPG

oh and i watched the expendables   funny as hell action packed but there was an aa-12 in it freakin sweet lol