Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Latest Sandybridge News

Gump

• Member ID:  1060
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1120
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

• Member ID:  1103
  • Followers:  64
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1977
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  15642
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  01/01/2012

That sux for those who were waiting on machines with those chips.

• Member ID:  1924
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1012
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  5864
  • Birthday:  05/30/1973

Yes that sux,

But it's a great exemple of the reasons why you don't want to be an early adopter....

REALLY sad for people who jumped on the SB bandwagon...now, it's gonna be hard to trust the motherboards on the market, even the "revised" ones...there will be a lot of REV 1.1 motherboards....it will be important to be conscious when buying...

Now ,I can't wait to hear horror stories of RMA and recalls to manufacturers....it's total crap, as INTEL SB was ready in July...they had a good 6 months to test everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

People are quick to make funny pics about it!!!

AMD Bulldozer is coming in April with 8-cores CPUs...

905FB62F-F1D2-4577-88D756ACD6F571CF.JPG

• Member ID:  418
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  140

CplMOFO

Yes that sux,

But it's a great exemple of the reasons why you don't want to be an early adopter....

REALLY sad for people who jumped on the SB bandwagon...now, it's gonna be hard to trust the motherboards on the market, even the "revised" ones...there will be a lot of REV 1.1 motherboards....it will be important to be conscious when buying...

Now ,I can't wait to hear horror stories of RMA and recalls to manufacturers....it's total crap, as INTEL SB was ready in July...they had a good 6 months to test everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is what it is. I'm one of the early adopters and will have to find out what the replacement process is when it is announced. I hate to say it, but all technology comes with some risk of not working as each manufacturer has acceptable failure limits when it comes to making products. In this case Intel has decided to not take a chance and just replace all the products released to this point. I would rather have that then have them hide it from the public and then try to cover it up once the problem is found out.

For all the AMD fans out there (and I am not an Intel nor am I an AMD fanboy as I have used both) what will happen if Bulldozer comes out and AMD encounters a similar problem if that were to happen. Will that be acceptable even though it's not for Intel?

Remember people, these companies are making this product with the cheapest way they can. Being an early adopter of technology means you have to accept the fact that you may get lemons in the beginning. Manufacturers use consumers as the real testing platform to work the bugs out.

I'd say that being an early adopter of AMD Bulldozer will lead to same potential for issues...

This post from HARDWARECANUCKs shows what actions are being taken as of now...

Canadian Retailers:

NCIX.com: Cougar Point products unavailable for purchase. For further instructions see forum post: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=116&threadid=2309652&pagenumber=1&msgcount=1&subpage=1

Newegg.ca: Cougar Point based products unavailable for purchase. Sandy Bridge Processors also unavailable for purchase.

MemoryExpress: “All affected motherboards & laptops will be unavailable until further notice. A solution for all previously sold products will be known later this afternoon, Monday January 31st. Because there are no replacements for affected boards we recommend not returning your product yet. If you are only using SATA ports 0 or 1 you should not have any issues. When there is a replacement available Memory Express will aid you through the process.”

Canada Computers: Not Yet Updated

TigerDirect.ca: Not Yet Updated – Still Selling

USA Retailers:

Newegg.com: Cougar Point based products unavailable for purchase. Sandy Bridge Processors also unavailable for purchase.

Amazon.com: Not Yet Updated – Still Selling

TigerDirect.com: Not Yet Updated – Still Selling

Motherboard Manufacuters:

GIGABYTE: “We have stopped shipping boards to all channels/distributors/resellers and also informed our customers to stop selling 6 series boards”

ASUS: Official Announcement to be delivered Jan, 31st, 2011

MSI: Not Yet Updated

EVGA: EVGA Motherboards will NOT be affected when they are released.

Thanks for the info CplMOFO. I didn't think that vendors would be responding to this so quickly. Usually they drag there collective feet for a while before offering the consumers any info. This is a refreshing change to see lots of retailers already putting plans out for the public to see and what to do.

For anyone who wants to know the extent of this problem here's 2 excellent articles explaining the problem and what's being done.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

• Member ID:  94
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  554
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3759
  • Birthday:  12/03/1955
  • Device:  Windows

BoomSlang

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2011/01/31/intels-recall-explanation-doesnt-hold-any-water/

Here is one more

Sounds to me like a AMD fanboy bashing Intel again (as a lot of the commentators on the page have suggested).

Either way, lets just hope this gets fixed quickly so we can move on and start bashing the next technology that comes out.

Bulldozer anyone. Wink

Well,

Shrapnel, it sux for you, hang tight buddy....you might be able to grab a Z68 mobo when they come out, they'll support SB overclocking, will also be able to use the graphics cores of SB, and will introduce "SSD CACHING" a new feature...

The way I see it:

-Intel is taking the bull by the horns...it's fine...a responsible company. It will cost them an estimated total of 1 Billion dollars for that boo boo...if you own a P67 mobo, you'll get it exchanged (in april...that sux) or refunded (but stuck with SB CPU????).

-Now, April-May time frame will bring us to Bulldozer launch (if AMD isn't dragging their feet again)....early adopters from Bulldozer MIGHT get their fair share of teething problems with early BIOS revision and such cr4p....

-AMD Bulldozer has YET TO PROVE that it's a worthy replacement/equivalent to current gen Intel offerings...if it's no better than Intel's last gen (P55 and X58 platforms) it's not gonna be making any difference in the "enthusiast" market...

-anyway, Intel "revised" P67 mobos will be out late...a great occasion for AMD to pull fingers out of their noses, and TRY to reclaim the enthusiasts crowd with Bulldozer...

Will Bulldozer live up to  the expectations? Could it be like back in the day, when the Almighty Athlon 64s (2004-2005) were rulling the place???

No big deal for me. Everything is working fine, I have my hard drives plugged into the 6GB SATA ports as recommended right now and I have absolutely zero overclocking issues right now. I've moderately overclocked this to 4.4Ghz on 1.26 V. I'm happy with it. Once the new boards are available hopefully NCIX will be sending the new ones out first and theyn getting the users to send the old ones back. (I know, I know.....wishful thinking) But they are close to me and shipping usually only takes a day so it might not be too bad.