Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Credit card hack

WiZiD

• Member ID:  804
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  446
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  3600
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Achievement Points:  24386
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/25/1960

I know this is kinda old but still interesting...

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-electronic-pickpocketing-story,0,5636726,full.story

• Member ID:  1238
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Interesting but, as the report says, not as major a threat as skimmers at places where you purchase goods.  One well-publicised case in the UK that involved a criminal network in Asia using skimmed details at petrol (gas) stations convinced me to never again use a card when buying fuel.  More recently, criminals have attached skimmer devices to pumps themselves so details entered at the pump (when the station is unstaffed) can be captured.  ATMs can also be tampered with in a similar way with the additional threat of ones PIN being captured via a miniature camera.

Banks also use an automated system of security that analyses transactions and will block ones card from further use if a suspect transaction takes place.  This is a very blunt instrument and, as I have experienced personally, can cause the customer great inconvenience and embarrassment.  If you use a credit card to donate to charity you risk having your card blocked.  The reason is that criminals test stolen cards by making small donations to the Red Cross to see if the transaction goes through.  If it does, that means they can buy whatever goods they want knowing that the card is not going to be declined.  The charities lose, of course, because the bank system does not check to see if the card user has previously made donations to the same charity.  This really pisses me off especially when the bank has my telephone numbers and doesn't call me.  The only way you find out is when you try to use your card to pay for something later.  It's happened to me several times - eventually, I worked out that it always happened about a week after a major disaster like an earthquake or tsunami...  I challenged the bank, angrily, and they admitted that it was disaster relief donations to the Red Cross that triggered these blocks.

I told them I was relieved that these problems had not happened on the other side of the English Channel - there is a different attitude to failure to pay bills over there and I'd certainly have been led away in handcuffs by the French gendarmerie!

So credit card skimmers are thieves but I have no love for the banks either!