Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Bad Ass Fkn Virus!

Darth Yoda

• Member ID:  934
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5656
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/16/1960

I was trying to reinstall my OS but hit a big snafu. After a bunch of tries and failures I found out I had a virus. Webroot, MS Security, McAffee, and AVG didn't see it.

To make a three day ordeal short, the virus was on BOTH my hard drives and had hidden itself in a hidden partition. When I reformatted one drive it would reload itself, making a backup. I had data on one drive that was very important so I couldn't just reformat both drives.

I eventually used a Linux disk (all attempts thru windows based programs failed) and G-Parted to see the hidden partition BUT Icouldn't format it. ???? Well, I moved the data to my other drive and used Samsung's ESTools (Samsung drives in my system) to "reclaim" the partition in a menu called DoC or something like that. Windows, G_parted, Asuse Partition Magic would not format it until it was reclaimed. The New size now equaled the Current size and I low-level formatted it. I used Linux Slitaz distro to move the files off disk 1 to the newly formatted disk 2.

I checked disk 1 and it had a hidden partition so I repeated the above. The hidden partitions were 7 and 10 gigs. I reclaimed reformatted and reinstalled XP after a couple of checks. Now everything seems to be up to par.

Things to look for:

1. 2 identicle drives that have different sizes.

2. A quick flash when booting signaling the change to a separate boot partition.

3.Crashes requiring a reboot after installing new programs. I think this was taking a snapshot of my desktop and crashing to reload new config.

4. After moving desktop icons a flash and/or randomly moving icons to where thet "were".

I advise everyone to get a copy of their disk drives software and check for uneven sizes. This was the key to me finding this virus.

I have a fairly secure setup running thru a hardware firewall and software firewall also. Webroot is store bought A/V and up to date. All updates are current and I have BIOS protection enabled on my mobo.

Anyway sorry for the long post. I hope it helps someone.

• Member ID:  2705
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  954
  • Birthday:  07/24/1961

Darth use the command prompt (attrib) to remove any viruses or malwares from your rig below you will find

all the direction for using the command prompt (attrib) to manually remove any viruses before doing an kind

of reclaiming or reformatting

http://isyan.hubpages.com/hub/Using-command-prompt-attrib-to-check-for-Viruses-or-Malware

if you need any further assitance feel free to pm me hope this works for you

Edited by PSYCOKILLER

• Member ID:  2028
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1740
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  10637