Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

32 Player Server?

• Member ID:  20789
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  936
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  7004
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1981

Did something happen to the server settings? I got on last night and saw that the server was empty and only set to 32 players. Is this something new we have it doing when population is low? If not can we change it back to 64?

I know population has been a huge concern for many of us and I do what I can when I am playing but I think we need to maintain the 64 player setting. I also think we need to make changes very carefully about what modes of play we allow. Let's discuss.

Cheers!

• Member ID:  15237
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  958
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  6679
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/04/1992

possiblity that it is using variable server plugin that we use to run on the server but i beleive it they took it off because it was locking it on to 32 players. not sure if it's on there now or not.

• Member ID:  86
  • Topic Count:  223
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1824
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  13395
  • Birthday:  06/29/1967

We are looking into it

• Member ID:  86
  • Topic Count:  223
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1824
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  13395
  • Birthday:  06/29/1967

Its the adaptive size plugin showing that.

• Member ID:  20834
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  325
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  1857

Damit adjusted the server settings yesterday in attempts to get the server populated again. It's the adaptive server settings and changes to 32 when there is 32 and less and will change to 64 when 33+. Also commander is re-enabled and CTF taking out of the rotation. There needs to be a player base before adding it back IMO. I talked to Damit and Caliber extensively yesterday as I know it's frustrating to the admin team and us regulars not having a populated server.

Edited by acucats07

• Member ID:  3113
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1228
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  9622
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/15/1980

(The word You below will refer to You the player base, aka everyone)

The fact of the matter is making multiple changes is generally a bad idea for a server.  What is really going on with population?  It's simple to see when we look at the history of our server, along with overall population of BF4.

Population numbers for the last week or two have not made alot of sense.  I have been recording the overall PC population for the last 2 weeks.  I have noticed anytime the overall population is above 35,000, our server is populated.  When its below, we struggle.  take for example Saturday night.  On Saturday at 7pm there were ONLY 23,000 PC players online total.  Monday morning at 10am, 36,000.  This makes no sense.  I tend to add alot of servers to my favorites, simply for watching their population, settings and map changes.  These servers are just as dead as ours when population is below 36,000.  For whatever reason the PC population as a whole has been down the last two weeks.  What has happened in the last 2 week?  Spring Break for many people, half the nation with temperatures over 50 for the first time in months, Titanfall release.  A lot of things that are keeping overall population low.  

Let's look at another aspect.  Our server specifically.  We never changed our server ID (the way the battlelog keeps track of your server) since the beginning of the game.  This means 5 months our server was out there and people were adding it to their favorites.  We moved to NFO about 3 weeks ago.  This means the original Server ID was out there for nearly 7 times longer than our current server.  This exact same thing happened when we moved the BF3 server long ago.  It took some time for it to get back to fully populated, 64 players, every night.  And it will take time again.  But I guarantee you it will be back.  It needs that time for players to find us.  Sometimes to even find us a 3rd or 4th time, until they add us to their favorites.  

All in all, the best way to get the population on our server at 64 players all the time?  To have a good base of players willing to populate it.  Servers do not populate themselves and if you look at most of the servers that are populated often, they are larger clans than ours.  TBG, JRKs, PURE.  These clans will accept nearly anyone no matter the dedication.  By now you should know XI looks for quality, dedicated players, not quantity.   I understand people have their set play times and don't expect people to sit in a low populated server, but its a catch 22.  If you dont play in it when its low pop, it will never have high pop.  The other way to get people to come back is to send out invites to your friends on Battlelog.  How many of you do this?  Another way?  Use the in game VOIP.  I have got 2 people in the last 4 days to come in to TS and add us to their favs just by talking to them in over in game VOIP.  Does anyone else do this?  Does anyone else encourage people to join TS?

We as Admins can only do so much to get the server populated, we must also lean on the support of our player base, you guys.  I post a link to our server on forums, blogs, reddit nearly 5 times a week.  How many others are doing this?  I log in to the server every single morning before I go to work, and when I go to bed I never log out.  This at least creates a perspective that there are more players in the server, thus causing more players to join. Think to yourself, do you log in to the server before you go to work?  Could you?  Would it be so hard to do?  How about not logging out of the game when you go to bed, or when you go get dinner?  

These are all things people should think about.  My entire mind set when it comes to the Xi server is how can I get more people in?  Because I know once they are in, and part of the XI family, they wont want to play on another server.  I know I don't.

So take this time to think about what YOU are doing to make the server you seem to appreciate, a better, more populated place for others to enjoy.

Edited by OddJob001