Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Been a Deadly Bristol Bay Salmon Season--Again

AyaqGuyaq

• Member ID:  3773
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3138
  • Content Per Day:  0.74
  • Achievement Points:  24456
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  11/03/1966

http://www.kdlg.org is the link to follow to read up on the deadly 2018 Bristol Bay (Alaska) salmon season so far.  Most of the stories relate to commercial salmon fishing.

In three separate Bristol Bay districts this season, one fisherman's body has been recovered, but two are still missing, including one in the Nushagak District (the one I'm fishing in now).

Just last week in my district, three fishing souls were lucky to escape with their lives when their fishing vessel lost power and drifted between two processing ships and got crushed.  One ship lowered its "man-boom" and saved all three, including the last to escape seconds before their vessel flipped over and sank.

Prayers to the families who've lost loved ones.  Every port in Bristol Bay has a memorial for those lost at sea.

Thank God that I've got steadfast Guardian Angels!!

We came back into port yesterday because of a small oil sheen spotted near the sunken tender.  I'm glad, too, because we were also advised to keep an eye out for the missing deckhand's body, and I really didn't want to be the one to spot it.

Really morbid, but bodies bloat after a few days and usually wash ashore.

I enjoy watching "Deadliest Catch" on The Discovery Channel because I can appreciate just how dangerous commercial fishing is in Alaska.

Sorry, nothing witty or funny to add.

Ayaq

• Member ID:  25355
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5785
  • Content Per Day:  2.13
  • Achievement Points:  63248
  • Days Won:  132
  • Birthday:  01/05/1954
  • Device:  Windows

Yes going to sea is, and always has been, a hard and dangerous profession God bless those in peril on the sea, often forgotten as 'out of sight out of news worthiness often applies', if you look at all the sea professions, fishing, oil rigs, exploration etc etc an awful lot of people die every year. People think that shipwrecks no longer occur, far from it, there are hundreds each year, very few make the news.

One ship lowered its "man-boom" - lucky it wasn't mine, mine wouldn't reach the side :lol:

• Member ID:  23518
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  988
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  7851
  • Days Won:  13

wow

Awards